X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage Tom Baker archive on BBC1 Northern Ireland
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - Posted by Marcus

Several minutes of footage of Tom Baker visiting schools in Northern Ireland in 1978 has been discovered in the BBC Northern Ireland archives.

The footage was unearthed by archivist Evan Marshall who has been working on a series Those Were the Days, looking back at how Northern Ireland was reported in the past, and included in the first of the series looking at School life in the 70's, shown last Monday.

Baker visited Belfast at the height of his fame as the Fourth Doctor and the film shows him meeting children and playing in the school playground as well as featuring new interviews of those who recall the visit.

More material exists in the archive showing Baker visiting a girl in hospital, being interviewed for BBC Radio Ulster, and being mobbed by shoppers in Belfast city centre. Although this additional footage is not in the programme it may be available in the future.

The programme is available in the UK on the BBC iPlayer until 19th December
    (with thanks to Evan Marshall)

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/11...tom-baker.html

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
      I expect she meant in the revived series (and even that's arguable). I'm amazed how many people still think Doctor Who started in 2005, even when they're actively involved in its production.

Damn kids!
      But even if you're talking 2005-present it's not true! Captain Jack (temporary), K-9 III, Astrid, River, Adelaide, Rory (again temporary). Clearly did NOT do their research
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Gee I wish Karen could make her mind up
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          But even if you're talking 2005-present it's not true! Captain Jack (temporary), K-9 III, Astrid, River, Adelaide, Rory (again temporary). Clearly did NOT do their research
          Astrid, River, and Adelaide aren't really companions. To be companions they have to travel in the TARDIS and be in more than one story back-to-back. K-9 III was never seen to travel with the Doctor on TV but you could argue that K-9 III did as he was seen to travel with the Doctor and Adric as seen in the stories that featured in the 1982 annual that could be fitted between The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

A little off topic but how did Disney get the rights to K9 and how was it that he landed in the universe of that awful TV show? Did Romana lose him?

Comment

It is Disney, but it's not exactly Disney. Bob Baker teamed up with Jetix to make a K9 series, and then Jetix was acquired by Disney.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                A little off topic but how did Disney get the rights to K9 and how was it that he landed in the universe <snip>? Did Romana lose him?
                The K-9 that is currently on Earth in the 2050's working with the Department is the original K-9 that left with Leela and remained on Gallifrey. This K-9 is a survivor of the Time War.

Comment

A little off topic but how did Disney get the rights to K9 and how was it that he landed in the universe of that awful TV show? Did Romana lose him?
                  Call me crazy, but I quite like that show...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I've still never seen it. Maybe I'll use it to fill in the massive Who gap this coming series

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      I've still never seen it. Maybe I'll use it to fill in the massive Who gap this coming series
                      Don't expect miracles, but for a kids show, it's not too shabby, with the occasional Who reference. Also, the setting is quite a good one. Dystopian Britain.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-%e2%...sary-28047.htm
                        Moffat being his usual self on the 50th Anniversary...

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          Don't expect miracles, but for a kids show, it's not too shabby, with the occasional Who reference. Also, the setting is quite a good one. Dystopian Britain.

WTF????????I thought they were not allowed to have Who references in the show. Hence why K9 lost his memory in the first episode and his body.

Comment

WTF????????I thought they were not allowed to have Who references in the show. Hence why K9 lost his memory in the first episode and his body.
                            They're very subtle references. Here's a link to a list of what you can expect: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/K-9_%28...ith_Doctor_Who

I've heard that with K-9 Series 2 that there might possibly be more direct references to the Doctor and Leela.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              They're very subtle references. Here's a link to a list of what you can expect: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/K-9_%28...ith_Doctor_Who

I've heard that with K-9 Series 2 that there might possibly be more direct references to the Doctor and Leela.

I wonder if that's a good idea

Comment

I wonder if that's a good idea
                                Why?

Comment

Working...
                                X