This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
    Nope. I'm just saying that the meanings of words can change over time (in the 50s to be gay just meant you were happy ) and many people these days understand the word tabloid to refer to trashy content newspapers as opposed to strictly a certain size of newspaper.
    Ah. My bad. I read the post as 'that's why it's called a tabloid' rather than 'that's why I called it a tabloid'. I withdraw my objection.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I've been watching Who since the 80s, so this revamp still has me happily giddy. The thought of cancellation makes me very nervous.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        I've been watching Who since the 80s, so this revamp still has me happily giddy. The thought of cancellation makes me very nervous.
        Me too.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          i haven't seen the classic Who, so though i have a lot left to watch, i don't want one of my favourite shows gone. i don't really watch a lot of television anymore because most of the shows i was a fan of have been cencelled, so loosing DW would break my heart
          "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
          "what?"
          *throat punch*
          My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
          LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

What's with all the doom mongering? The BBC is highly unlikely to cancel it's most successful show, not only is it popular here in the UK but all over the world, the BBC aren't that stupid. The could have cancelled it when David Tennant decided to take a few months off but they didn't they made 'Specials' instead, if David Tennent does leave it will still continue with another actor, it may lose a few viewers but it won't end.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
              What's with all the doom mongering? The BBC is highly unlikely to cancel it's most successful show, not only is it popular here in the UK but all over the world, the BBC aren't that stupid. The could have cancelled it when David Tennant decided to take a few months off but they didn't they made 'Specials' instead, if David Tennent does leave it will still continue with another actor, it may lose a few viewers but it won't end.
              i dunno lol, i'm just following what's been posted here. this is where i get my DW info and if someone hears funding has been pulled and it might be cancelled i tend to over-react. i forgot about the specials, that is a very good sign.
              "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
              "what?"
              *throat punch*
              My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
              LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

It's just the usual media speculation - newspapers like The Sun are forever claiming that Doctor Who is gonna be cancelled/ DT is gonna leave/RTD is gonna leave etc etc etc etc. It's sensationalism and it sells their papers.

P.S. I should point out that - although some folks chose not to believe him - RTD has consistently stated that the show is not taking time off and doing specials because DT wanted time off, that it is in fact the reverse - that the production decided to take a break and do specials instead of a full series as a way of keeping the format fresh and allowing the show to run for a long time, and that DT decided to do other stuff (like Hamlet) because he had more free time this year because of that decision.
                sigpic

Comment

P.S. I should point out that - although some folks chose not to believe him - RTD has consistently stated that the show is not taking time off and doing specials because DT wanted time off, that it is in fact the reverse - that the production decided to take a break and do specials instead of a full series as a way of keeping the format fresh and allowing the show to run for a long time, and that DT decided to do other stuff (like Hamlet) because he had more free time this year because of that decision.
                  Fair enough

Re the funding, it could possibly be the fact that the BBC don't need it anymore. I'm hypothesising here so stick with me. When the idea of bringing Dr Who back was put to the BBC, they may have been a bit sceptical and may not have wanted to put up all the money, so feelers were put out and bids for co-financing were arranged and accepted. Now, four years later, Dr Who is standing on it's own two feet, it has been sold around the world and now it doesn't need the finance. This is just my opinion, don't take it as fact, leave the to The Sun and the guliable

Comment

Fair enough

Re the funding, it could possibly be the fact that the BBC don't need it anymore. I'm hypothesising here so stick with me. When the idea of bringing Dr Who back was put to the BBC, they may have been a bit sceptical and may not have wanted to put up all the money, so feelers were put out and bids for co-financing were arranged and accepted. Now, four years later, Dr Who is standing on it's own two feet, it has been sold around the world and now it doesn't need the finance. This is just my opinion, don't take it as fact, leave the to The Sun and the guliable
                    I don't think CBC co-funded the first series- I'm pretty sure they only did the second and third and the first of Torchwood. But I'm not 100% positive on that.

Don't know if there was anyone else co-funding.

Comment

Someone in Canada helped fund the first series

Comment

Video from the Chris Moyles Radio show... Spoiler for the Season Finale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chrismoy...ing_head.shtml

Spoiler:
                        Theres gonna be a RED DALEK.....
                        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, I present - Arnold the Adipose.

Oooo...
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

^Heeeeee! His little face is just perfect! It's absolutely got the expression of the ones on the show!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                              Video from the Chris Moyles Radio show... Spoiler for the Season Finale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chrismoy...ing_head.shtml

Spoiler:
                              Theres gonna be a RED DALEK.....
                              Spoiler:

Oh Christ.

Heck, why not get a Peter Cushing look a like to appear in the episode as well? Even better, let's rename the TARDIS to Tardis and make the Doctor's full name Doctor Who and make him permanently human. Why not go even further and replace the opening theme tune with some 60s psychodelic crap...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

^Heeeeee! His little face is just perfect! It's absolutely got the expression of the ones on the show!
                                I was a little worried that the beads I used for the eyes weren't quite right, but he does look cutes doesn't he

Comment

Working...
                                X