This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creed462
    The tomb of the cybermen is on dvd right now and The Mind ripper will be released soon.
    Patrick Troughton DVDs currently released in the U.S.
    The Tomb of the Cybermen
    The Mind Robber (just released)
    The Seeds of Death

The Lost in Time Collection which contains the following Patrick Troughton episodes:
    The Underwater Menace part 3
    The Moonbase part 2 & 4
    The Faceless Ones part 1 & 3
    The Evil of the Daleks part 2
    The Abominable Snowman part 2
    The Enemy of the World part 3
    The Web of Fear part 1
    The Wheel in Space part 3 & 6
    The Space Pirates part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Dallista
      I watched The Three Doctors last night. Especially Patrick Troughton made quite an impression on me. Must track down more of his episodes.
      All the episodes I listed for Patrick Troughton on DVD were available on VHS as well.

Additionally, the following were released on VHS:
      The Ice Warriors (parts 1, 3, 4, 5, 6)
      The Dominators
      The Invasion (parts 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8)
      The Krotons
      The War Games

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
        America never really screened the show though did it? Even in the past? I guess that is the reason that GW doesn't have a Dr Who page, even though every other SciFi show seems to. *she says with a cheeky grin*
        Back in the 80's and early 90's Doctor Who was shown on Public Broadcast Stations and supported by donations from viewers. The current administration has been trying to take control of PBS, so who knows? PBS might air the old episodes, but probably couldn't afford the new episodes with its budget slashed. Heck, it might not be able to afford the old episodes any more.

Most corporate broadcasters would never dream of airing Doctor Who, except possibly the Sci-Fi Channel.

BBC America, I don't know how it operates, may ultimately air it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
          Back in the 80's and early 90's Doctor Who was shown on Public Broadcast Stations and supported by donations from viewers. The current administration has been trying to take control of PBS, so who knows? PBS might air the old episodes, but probably couldn't afford the new episodes with its budget slashed. Heck, it might not be able to afford the old episodes any more.
          That's how I saw all of it. Heck, I still have my PBS pledge drive t-shirt somewhere... And my Tardis keychain...

Comment

Its sad that there are so few Troughton eps surviving intacked. From what I've seen he's real good. I hope they will find more of then.
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
              Its sad that there are so few Troughton eps surviving intacked. From what I've seen he's real good. I hope they will find more of then.
              I think about that all the time.

Every once in a while, they find a missing episode. Mostly recently...The Dalek Masterplan part 2.

I remember when they found the Tomb of the Cybermen. That was a big deal at the time. I'm glad I got to see that.

There are plenty of places that haven't been checked yet overseas. Probably just no one that cares enough and is in a position to search their archives.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                That's how I saw all of it. Heck, I still have my PBS pledge drive t-shirt somewhere... And my Tardis keychain...
                On a positive note, at least I get to see the cliffhangers on the DVDs, so it's like seeing them for the first time. Plus, commentaries, interviews, and documentaries.

Speaking of...tonight I'll try to fit in a viewing of The Mind Robber.

Comment

On a positive note, at least I get to see the cliffhangers on the DVDs, so it's like seeing them for the first time. Plus, commentaries, interviews, and documentaries.
                  I think your way is a lot more fun than having to wait for the once-a-week ep airing as I had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                    I think your way is a lot more fun than having to wait for the once-a-week ep airing as I had to.
                    I was lucky enough to be situated between several big cities at the time.

Consequently, I had two different runs of Doctor Who in movie format.

Plus, on clear nights, I was able to tune into a third PBS station airing Doctor Who in episode format. [EDIT: Not once a week, but every week day.]

But yes, you are right. Viewing the remastered video and audio episodically on a single night is the best way to enjoy them. Sure beats watching them on my fuzzy crackling old B&W television.

The only thing that would make it even better would be to enjoy it in the company of other Doctor Who fans.

Comment

The only thing that would make it even better would be to enjoy it in the company of other Doctor Who fans.
                      That is what I loved about the screening here of the new series so many of my friends started watching having denigrated the show over the years (I couldn't even open my mouth) they suddenly started to become Doctor Who fans, it ain't sad and pathetic anymore!

I am kind of cool now, haha because I know most of the references that have been made in the new series and they would look at me and go what is that? Why did he do/say that? or whatever...very funny. One of my younger friends didn't even know about the regenerations!

Comment

That is what I loved about the screening here of the new series so many of my friends started watching having denigrated the show over the years (I couldn't even open my mouth) they suddenly started to become Doctor Who fans, it ain't sad and pathetic anymore!
                        Oooh! You just put a finger on a nerve. I didn't even realize it, but subconsciously I think I was hoping if it aired in the U.S., I would be vindicated. Or at least be able to talk about it and not have people condescendingly smirk, or vacuously blink, at me.

I am kind of cool now, haha because I know most of the references that have been made in the new series and they would look at me and go what is that? Why did he do/say that? or whatever...very funny. One of my younger friends didn't even know about the regenerations!
                        We were always cool. Everyone else was just slow to realize it. That's not our fault.

Comment

Oooh! You just put a finger on a nerve. I didn't even realize it, but subconsciously I think I was hoping if it aired in the U.S., I would be vindicated. Or at least be able to talk about it and not have people condescendingly smirk, or vacuously blink, at me.
                          It still might happen don't give up hope.
                          We were always cool. Everyone else was just slow to realize it. That's not our fault.
                          Dam straight. Have you voted in the new GW poll in this Section about subfolders on GW? I would like to see a Dr Who subfolder as I don't visit many Dr Who sites because some of the fans get OTT but alas I think Star Trek may win out.
                          Last edited by Willow'sCat; 08 September 2005, 10:47 PM. Reason: Used the wrong word!

Comment

Have you voted in the new GW poll in this Section about subfolders on GW? I would like to see a Dr Who subfolder as I don't visit may Dr Who sites because some of the fans get OTT but alas I think Star Trek may win out.
                            Thanks to you...I just did.

Comment

Here's a link to another Dr Who comic...
                              Can't post it here as it seems to balloon the thread...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...TheDoctors.jpg
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                                Here's a link to another Dr Who comic...
                                *chuckle* Aw, that's kinda sad, though. My sweet Fifth Doctor has much more to offer than that!

I saw The Two Doctors last night (yeah, so I'm going through the old series totally at random; whatever I can get my hands on really, and I wanted to see the Sixth Doctor.) Eh, he's okay! I thought I'd hate him, but once I managed to look past his nasty attitude towards Peri, he's actually pretty decent. And I really like Jamie!

Can you guys recommend a Patrick Troughton serial (preferably one that completely survived, *grin*) in which Jamie has a large/interesting/nice/maybe possibly angsty role? I could read through the entire Reference Guide at http://www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm but that'd really spoil the fun.

edited for a really dumb mistake
                                Last edited by Dallista; 09 September 2005, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X