Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celestial View Post
    Willow, you can't be "that" old are you?
    I always thought that being a maiden aunt meant you were too old to get married and have next to no chance of getting married.
    I never want to marry, it is against my religion. Generally the term is (a stereotype &) meant as put down... take the fact you used the words "too old" & "no chance of getting married". Speaks volumes to me.

Originally posted by Reefgirl
    Back to the Maiden Aunt thing, here in the UK the term usually means someone like Miss Marple, in fact in the book At Bertram's Hotel, A policeman said of her, something like, "Ah, the one that looks like everyone's Maiden Aunt"

No offence to yonger maiden aunties
    I like Miss Marple, she had a lot of er... spunk. *I am so going to hell*

Actually I prefer Ben Elton's take on it... instead of saying "Bob's your Uncle" he says "Bob's your Maiden Aunt's live in lover"

Wow talk about off-topic!

*goes off to have dinner with her much, much younger boyfriend*

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post

I'd like to be like Diana from Waiting for God when I get old(er)

Ahh a woman after my own heart

Comment

I never want to marry, it is against my religion. Generally the term is (a stereotype &) meant as put down... take the fact you used the words "too old" & "no chance of getting married". Speaks volumes to me.
        I think the term maiden aunt is probably pretty antiquated. Even where it was applied to someone who had chosen not to marry, they would have been something of an oddity.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

There's a religion that's against marriage!! What is it???

But seriously, the term needs to be changed to something that isn't a put down. There are nowadays so many women out there that choose not to get married either because they don't believe in the whole sacrament or legality of it, or for whatever other reason, so a more positive description is needed for the women out there who choose the non marital path.....ummm how about Liberated Lady??? Too many innuendos though!!

I'll join you.....I kinda dig Jessica Fletcher (Murder She Wrote) myself!!

Actually I prefer Ben Elton's take on it... instead of saying "Bob's your Uncle" he says "Bob's your Maiden Aunt's live in lover"

Wow talk about off-topic!

Definitely off-topic!!! And way to go with the much, much younger boyfriend!!!
          Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
          and Captain Jack Harkness
          Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
          Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
          Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
          I live here.....Calling All Australians?
          My other home...Stargate Down Under
          My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Another newbie joining in the Torchwood discussion...

Where is everone episode wise? I'll ask that before taking the risk of
            spoiling anyone
            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

We in the UK have seen it all and I think those in Australia have too, the US are on either Day One or Ghost Machine, not sure about Canada I think they are the same as the US maybe a bit further on

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                We in the UK have seen it all and I think those in Australia have too, the US are on either Day One or Ghost Machine, not sure about Canada I think they are the same as the US maybe a bit further on

Oh damn

I can't say what I think now in that case.... But all I can say is that
                Gwen was one of my favourite characters but over the course of
                the show I started to really not like her. Instead I put my thoughts
                into a spoiler thingy so if anyone wants to see that, you know just
                click the button hehe.

However she did make for one of my favourite scenes

Spoiler:

Favourite scene is when Gwen punches Jack out. He criticizes her
                for being a hypocrite more or less loving her boyfriend but spending
                half her time on Owen's bed. At this she is angered and punches
                Jack in the face. Pretty good punch too knocks him down.

The other thing that annoyed me about her was that she used an amnesia drug
                on her boyfriend after first confessing her affair then made him forget that
                she had confessed so she could continue, more or less doing what she did.

Last edited by Coco Pops; 22 September 2007, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
                  Another newbie joining in the Torchwood discussion...

Where is everone episode wise? I'll ask that before taking the risk of
                  spoiling anyone
                  Welcome!

I'm fairly new here myself and it's a great place to be when you want to know everything that is there to know about Torchwood.

Now I've just watched Dr.Who's S1 The Unquiet Dead, and I noticed that Eve Myles was in this episode and whether by coincidence or not, she plays a maid named Gwyneth (close to the name Gwen in Torchwood) and she was based in a Cardiff mortuary which had the rift in it, and now Gwen a century+37 odd years later now works where Torchwood is where the rift is now.

Am I right in assuming that the mortuary in 1869 is now the Torchwood base in 2007? And I wonder if the writers knew that she had played this role, before she was cast as Gwen?

It's a shame that Gwen couldn't also have been related to Gwyneth since she was an only child and unmarried before she died stepping in the rift. Otherwise, Gwen could have some powers she doesn't know about.
                  My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial View Post
                    Welcome!

I'm fairly new here myself and it's a great place to be when you want to know everything that is there to know about Torchwood.

Now I've just watched Dr.Who's S1 The Unquiet Dead, and I noticed that Eve Myles was in this episode and whether by coincidence or not, she plays a maid named Gwyneth (close to the name Gwen in Torchwood) and she was based in a Cardiff mortuary which had the rift in it, and now Gwen a century+37 odd years later now works where Torchwood is where the rift is now.

Am I right in assuming that the mortuary in 1869 is now the Torchwood base in 2007? And I wonder if the writers knew that she had played this role, before she was cast as Gwen?

It's a shame that Gwen couldn't also have been related to Gwyneth since she was an only child and unmarried before she died stepping in the rift. Otherwise, Gwen could have some powers she doesn't know about.

I noticed that very thing myself when watchign the DVDs.

I think the producers may have had her in mind for the new show
                    as they would have had a look at all the actors from Who. I think
                    she was on one of their lists from various places I have read..

I'm not sure about the mortuary being the Torchwood base but
                    in "The Long Game" Torchwood is mentioned during the segment of
                    The Weakest Link .. So I think maybe they had the idea for the show
                    as far back as the end of series 1 of Who..

Comment

I noticed that very thing myself when watchign the DVDs.

I think the producers may have had her in mind for the new show
                      as they would have had a look at all the actors from Who. I think
                      she was on one of their lists from various places I have read..

I'm not sure about the mortuary being the Torchwood base but
                      in "The Long Game" Torchwood is mentioned during the segment of
                      The Weakest Link .. So I think maybe they had the idea for the show
                      as far back as the end of series 1 of Who..
                      Torchwood was the 'Bad Wolf' of Series 2, a running theme and was planted in the last episodes of series 1 just as
                      Spoiler:
                      Mr Saxon was mentioned in 'The Runaway Bride' and people are scouring the last eps of series 3 looking for what next years 'clue' is

Comment

I know what the clue is but I'm not gonna tell..... I'm not gonna tell

Or at lest I think I do hehe

Comment

Ok Reef and Choc, youve both lost me.

I'm still relatively new to the whole Dr Who series and have only started watching it so I'm not at all sure what you're talking about.

I have got a lot of catching up to do.
                          My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

I know what the clue is but I'm not gonna tell..... I'm not gonna tell

Or at lest I think I do hehe
                            I've watched the last 2 episodes half a dozen times since they aired and couldn't notice anything suitably cryptic but still worthwhile. Go on... What's your guess? (spoiler tags ftw please. )
                            Last edited by Anubis69; 22 September 2007, 10:51 AM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Basically there is a theme running through Dr Who usually just a word or a name, Series 1 was Bad Wolf, Series 2 was Torchwood and Series 3 was
                              Spoiler:
                              Mr Saxon
                              you have to 'look' for the clue in each episode

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                                Basically there is a theme running through Dr Who usually just a word or a name, Series 1 was Bad Wolf, Series 2 was Torchwood and Series 3 was
                                Spoiler:
                                Mr Saxon
                                you have to 'look' for the clue in each episode
                                I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I have only seen S1 ep 2-3 and all the Jack eps and now understand the clue "Bad Wolf". Haven't seen any S2 yet and only seen from Human Nature to the end of S3 and can now understand why
                                Spoiler:
                                Mr Saxon would be the ongoing clue just from watching the last 3 episodes.

I didn't know that Dr. Who can be so entertaining to watch but also complex and full of riddle like stories. I can't wait to get through all 3 seasons.
                                My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                                X