Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Expanse on SyFy: Discussion - Spoilers.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes dark scenes are a stylistic choice. Not every space ship has to be as brightly lit as the Enterprise. Considering Miller's side of the story is reminiscent of noir thrillers, there's no reason to want those scenes to be bright. I'm near-sighted too, have a 42" TV and sit fairly close to it, about 6-7 feet, and usually do not wear my glasses either. I still had no problem of that nature with The Expanse.

Comment

I didn't have trouble with dark scenes in the Expanse. Dark Matter, though, that was another 'matter'.

Comment

I sit about 7 feet back from a 60" plasma set, that has had the picture set up properly. (along with audio calibration; 9.2 channel system) Although I wear glasses, I only need them for reading/computer use, so I don't wear them watching TV.
        It's not a focus issue, it's just in many scenes on this one show, everything seems to be too dark, and the garish lighting doesn't help either.
        And I am loathe to go into the TV's settings to knock the contrast down and brightness up for one show.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
          Sometimes dark scenes are a stylistic choice. Not every space ship has to be as brightly lit as the Enterprise.
          That's exactly what I think is going on here; the director wants to get high marks from the "artsy" crowd and they are overdoing it for that reason.

NuBSG had a similar problem; although produced in HD, very often, the picture was grainy and otherwise poor quality.. "Cine Verite" was the term I think they used.

Comment

I agree there were dark scenes, what I disagree with is that they were too dark. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, as well as on your frequent complaints that the story itself was too dark. To each his own.

Comment

We all have our preferences. But I've been wondering why I can't get interested in this show, and this might be it.

Comment

No offense, man, but I think that is a very superficial excuse. Shouldn't the story and characters outweigh any perceived faults in the video quality. You liked Dark Matter but not The Expanse, and in my opinion there is no contest. The Expanse is infinitely better.

Comment

What can I say, the lighting style or whatever you want to call it irritates me.

Comment

I was thinking I had posted this link before, but just reviewed this thread and found out I didn't. I originally uploaded a page on this show back in Dec. after watching the pilot several times, then edited it after the first four were put online. Now I've edited it again.

http://templetongate.net/expanse-tv.htm

Comment

Books first versus television first

Recommendations? I haven't seen/read either.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post

Totally up to you. The show has some characters from the later books, but doesn't spoil the ending of the first book.
                        sigpic

Comment

As much as I like the series, I love the books even more, for the usual reasons. More detail on character motivations and plot. There are a few character dynamics that are different between the two, although the show may develop them in a way to become more like the books. I've certainly not been disappointed with the minor changes they made, unlike the way it is when other favorite books have been adapted. Since there are likely to be other changes along the way, it might be best for you to watch the first season then read the first book. If you like it as much as I did you will probably want to read the second before the next season comes around.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                            Since there are likely to be other changes along the way, it might be best for you to watch the first season then read the first book. If you like it as much as I did you will probably want to read the second before the next season comes around.
                            This is what I'm doing. First season, then books. Thanks for the advice, pjt and ecgordon.

Comment

This is what I'm doing. First season, then books. Thanks for the advice, pjt and ecgordon.
                              It has been mentioned up-thread somewhere, but it bears repeating, watching the show first will not spoil you for the end of the first book. We're close to the end, but not quite, and it is possible they will change what happens to one of the characters for the show.

Comment

Anyone else get The Expanse on Blu-Ray (or DVD) yet? I still love it, looks better than ever, but I have to say I am disappointed with the bare-bones approach. Just three deleted scenes as a bonus, no commentary at all, unless those are hidden in the menu and I just missed it. Nothing on the packaging suggests there is any commentary. It would have been better to delay the release so they could do some of that, especially a feature on the Belter language, plus one on how much they used physical sets as opposed to CGI for the ship interiors. At least an interview with the books' authors on why some changes were made. I'll be upset if they expect me to double-dip a few months down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X