Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Expanse on SyFy: Discussion - Spoilers.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really get the show and don't understand what its books has to offer for me its a little dull. Maybe its wrote badly? Some people in the series are good but others are not carrying the show, some of the main performances do not lift the show and that is a bad sign. I like the space cop, that idea is rarely explored in space maybe last seen in Blade Runner or maybe Outlander? I think the cop story is interesting and the characters and actors around Detective Miller are good, Kamal and the Burton actor is also cool but I don't care much for the main cast.
    I think a lot of audiences will ask themselves why do we need another show on space wars? We had Enders game almost flop, Wing Commander in the 90s didn't do so well so why another Forever space military War? You would think with wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya....and everywhere else people might get tried of social commentary on scifi tv...at least about another war anyways.
    On the plus side I think some of the minor actors are doing very well, I like the space cop story its like a remake of a 1940s Detective movie and we have not seen a cool space cop since Blade Runner in my mind anyways. The guy in the interview scene was great, I liked what that actor did with his performace, he had these little balls he eats and his eyes become computer cameras...I liked his interrogation on the crew trying to see if they were smugglers, terrorists, criminals, part of a foreign alien group...I liked this actors scene, I mean some of the political/social stuff is interesting but the actor doing the interogation was great. Overall it can be a good show but it should be much better.

Comment

I don't think the show is badly written (neither are the books, IMO, though I've only read the first one). I think it's been very well written (for the most part) so far. I thought Episode 1 was a good introduction, episode 2 was a little slow, but episode 3 was better, and episode 4 was great. I like the actors (and how they play their characters), for the most part, anyway, (I'm not the biggest fan of the guy who plays Holden, but I think he'll get better or I'll get used to him with time ). The visuals are great. Overall, I'm really loving this show so far.

I even got my 15 year old son to watch it and he loved it too; he can't wait for the next episode to come out (and neither can I).
      sigpic

Comment

Yay! It's been renewed for a second season!

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-expa...fy-1201674459/
        sigpic

Comment

I didn't really have any doubt, but it's good to get confirmation this early.

Comment

good news
            Last Movie Watched
            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
            Life is Strange

Comment

It gets better, I think the last episode four is very good. Look back at the series I though Miller is a much more interesting character I wouldn't mind if the TV show diverges from this book format and keeps Miller in the lead at least through the first two seasons, I think the crew have potential but I wasn't warm to them all as characters and found the story isn't gelling as a whole yet. The final episode four has some great actions and drama, the big battle with the mystery ship was great but looking back at the show as a whole it all feels a little disjointed at the moment. The Earth political scenes feel the weakest for me its just not working for whatever reason. I like the space cop story its like a remake of a 1940s Detective movie, the scifi world they've built around Tom Jane's character is really flowing with creativity and idea ideas that it could sustain a series all it's own, I turned off a bit when they move away from the space Detective story. It gets much better on the last episode, space ship, drama, action, I have really enjoyed watching the fourth episode good entertainment.

Comment

I certainly don't think the series is perfect, but I do like it more than some other people obviously. I think the main problem is too much story crammed into the limited time of 42 minutes per episode, plus having to track three different story lines, whereas in the first book it was just two, the detective story on Ceres and the action on the Canterbury and the Donnager, and beyond. Not only have they added the Earth scenes, they've also introduced Fred Johnson and Tycho Station earlier than in the book. I just checked the first book, Leviathan Wakes. The point we are in the show occurs about one-third of the way into Chapter 15 (out of 55, not counting the short prologue and epilogue). My Kindle says that is 14% into the novel. But we're 40% through the first season of ten episodes.

I don't see any way they'll be able to make it even halfway through the first book in the time we have remaining, so it is good we'll get another season, thirteen episodes next time. That way Thomas Jane will continue to be a major presence on the show through Season 2 at least. He does appear through book four, but not as prominently, and in an entirely different capacity. Won't say more on that to avoid spoilers.

Comment

From the way they were talking early in the production phase I got the feeling that they were going to stretch the plot of the first book into multiple seasons.

Comment

So with new categories like DC Legends of Tomorrow, & The Shanarra Chronicles, can we get a section for The Expanse? its already been renewed for a 2nd season
                    Last Movie Watched
                    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                    Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                      So with new categories like DC Legends of Tomorrow, & The Shanarra Chronicles, can we get a section for The Expanse? its already been renewed for a 2nd season
                      I second that nomination.

Comment

Yeah, a section for this would be nice, especially since it's already been renewed for a second season.
                        sigpic

Comment

<em>The Expanse</em> section on the way!

http://forum.gateworld.net/forums/359-The-Expanse
                          Last edited by GateWorld; 02 January 2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Thank you!
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks
                              Last Movie Watched
                              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                              Life is Strange

Comment

Thank you for the special forum. I had been anticipating this show ever since it was announced because I had already read the first two books by that time. I've read four now, plus the five shorter stories that have been published.

I've been thinking ahead, based on episode titles, and the pace of the story so far. It looks like we may only get about halfway through the first book's story this year, up to where Holden and Miller's paths cross on the asteroid Eros, and the discovery of what happened to Julie Mao, and why.

Comment

Working...
                                X