Terra Nova (Fox) - News/Discussion/Speculation SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
    I really don't want to get into this argument here, on this forum-but forcing people to be sterilized or have abortions against their will is a serious human rights abuse. It was also done in the U.S. during the 20's and 30's under some states' Eugenics Laws. If you doubt me just google Buck vs. Bell. Supreme Court Case.
    Sure now that's the case because there no reason to have any kind of population control. Its totally crazy. But if the human race is on the brick of extinction because of overpopulation and pollution people would understand it because they would have lived through it (the difficult time with water rationalized, food rationalized, diseases, despair, etc, etc). Don't forget people would have the right to at least 2 children before the sterilization. It would be viewed as building a better future for our children and the humanity.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I repeat forcing abortions, sterilizations and hysterectomies in a democractic society is a human rights abuse-besides, who are you going to put in charge of such a program? Who gets to decide?
      In the 20's and 30's people of color and those with disabilities were force-ably sterilized in some US states under the State's Eugenics laws. The ACLU rightly challenged these laws and got compensation for these people.
      Also, In all the developed world, the birthrate has coime down voluntarily. In fact in some European countries
      birthrate is below replacement level. People will automatically have smaller families when(Women) they have access to better education and in times like ours when it is expensive to have kids.
      Many of my first cousins in my generation have opted to have no kids.
      Also, most people produce much more than they consume-the average person who's able to work in adulthood will produce much more than they consume.(in a lifetime)
      I do agree we need to care for and manage the environment much better than we have to date, but I don't believe this involves stripping people of basic human rights and dignity.

Comment

I do agree we need to care for and manage the environment much better than we have to date, but I don't believe this involves stripping people of basic human rights and dignity.
        Sure now it would be totally crazy (a clear most basic human right violation). But you avoid the argument that IF, yes I said IF, humanity was on the brick of extinction as shown in Terra Nova, such population control policies would have to be envisaged. Do you prefer the end of humanity or population control? Two children by couple is not THAT bad.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Can we get back on topic now...the mod asked nicely!

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          And, mod hat on, let's not have this thread go off topic into a debate about whether or not abortion is right or wrong.
          sigpic

Comment

I repeat forcing abortions, sterilizations and hysterectomies in a democractic society is a human rights abuse-besides, who are you going to put in charge of such a program? Who gets to decide?
            In the 20's and 30's people of color and those with disabilities were force-ably sterilized in some US states under the State's Eugenics laws. The ACLU rightly challenged these laws and got compensation for these people.
            Also, In all the developed world, the birthrate has coime down voluntarily. In fact in some European countries
            birthrate is below replacement level. People will automatically have smaller families when(Women) they have access to better education and in times like ours when it is expensive to have kids.
            Many of my first cousins in my generation have opted to have no kids.
            Also, most people produce much more than they consume-the average person who's able to work in adulthood will produce much more than they consume.(in a lifetime)
            That isn't the case in that reality though. There is a population problem, and decrying a solution won't make that problem go away.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              I think we really need a Subforum for this, or does Terra Nova have to earn that honor first?
              I know you requested it, but making it doesnt take that long.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Just came across a repeat of "through the wormhole" and it was discussing time travel and an interesting topic came up saying that the most possibiltity of successful time travel to the past was thru computer simualtion.

Could it be that terra nova is just an elaborate computer simulation where the point they enter during the show is actually them entering into the simulation and the mysterious writing is actually advanced computer code? Just a thought...i have to rewatch the episode to revisit all the techno talk and explanations given.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                  I think we really need a Subforum for this, or does Terra Nova have to earn that honor first?
                  I know you requested it, but making it doesnt take that long.
                  Oh I know it doesn't take that long. I run my own discussion forum. Its not international and all...but its simple to set up a sub-folder.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, we can!

Comment

Originally posted by lookupwardsnshare View Post
                      Just came across a repeat of "through the wormhole" and it was discussing time travel and an interesting topic came up saying that the most possibiltity of successful time travel to the past was thru computer simualtion.

Could it be that terra nova is just an elaborate computer simulation where the point they enter during the show is actually them entering into the simulation and the mysterious writing is actually advanced computer code? Just a thought...i have to rewatch the episode to revisit all the techno talk and explanations given.
                      That is an interresting possibility, eventhough I dont think its the case in this situation. What would they gain by sending random People into the Matrix?
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

I think it's strange to say that because that is the topic. That's what is fun with Sci-fi . To show and then have people talk about topics related to what you just watched.

There's a certain topicality brought by many Sci-fi shows and movie which are either evident or skim over but this is 100% (and i cannot emphasize it enough) part of what Sci-fi is all about. Making us think about things we wouldn't think about otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                          I think it's strange to say that because that is the topic. That's what is fun with Sci-fi . To show and then have people talk about topics related to what you just watched.

There's a certain topicality brought by many Sci-fi shows and movie which are either evident or skim over but this is 100% (and i cannot emphasize it enough) part of what Sci-fi is all about. Making us think about things we wouldn't think about otherwise.
                          Yes, but remember that the more we talk about stuff here, we are actually spoiling it for others. I tend to forgett that too. Maybe for the time being there should be at least a spoiler warning on this Thread or whe just make a seperate one in this subforum.
                          Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                          Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                            so what are they going to do when that nice asteroid comes a knockin and near wipes out all life on earth and actually starts the evolutionary process. (hope i'm remembering my science right.)

'Starting' the evolutionary process?

My friend, it's been ongoing since day 1 of life.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I missed the series premiere, but I've got it recorded. Without spoiling, what's ya'll's verdict? From the commercials, the special effects don't hold a candle to 1993's Jurassic Park, but I can overlook that if the characters and story are interesting enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                                I missed the series premiere, but I've got it recorded. Without spoiling, what's ya'll's verdict? From the commercials, the special effects don't hold a candle to 1993's Jurassic Park, but I can overlook that if the characters and story are interesting enough.
                                I've seen no SFX that actually have...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X