Terra Nova (Fox) - News/Discussion/Speculation SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    I think my one big question...why dinosuars???

first, you're gonna go back and try to 'save' mankind by putting them down with thousands of giant man eating critters?
    Second, there is an extinction event coming. Whether you want to believe the asteroid or not, something killed off most of life on earth during hte dinosaur time, so why try to create a new timeline that has this MASSIVE extinction threat coming?

We have a rough idea about when in time various extinction events happen, why not go back to a 'safer' point in our time?

It just seems that they're postponing the inevitable.
    They are only able to travel back to that period in time, its where the crack (i believe they discovered it, not created it) they use to travel goes back to. Hope they tell us more about it though, i could be wrong.

I think they will have a few million years before any extinction event occurs. I think we forget how long the dinosaurs were around for. Millions of years is along time, long enough for us to figure out how to leave our world and travel to others, or prevent the asteroid from hitting. Look at the Novus folks (SGU) and what they did in 2000 years.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      3 Mall cops guarding the rift and everyone just pushes past them? What no attempt to stop them?

I watched a "file" "smacks hand"

Ooh OK I can live with that.

If the two times have contact with each other will there be a constant resupply effort? Can they get more supplies, fuel, ammo or will they have to make their own? Can they get bigger guns because what they have is crap.
      yeah. given how nasty the world is and the 'rich land' on the other side, you'd expect more.

then again, there was perimeter security and retinal scans so, theoretically, the only people in the complex would be support staff or those authorized to go.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

My understanding is that they didn't have a choice as to when-they found one rift which they determined went back 85 million years and they had to take it or leave it(Can't remember how they figured out exactly how far back that was). Also, that it was a different time stream than "our" time stream since they couldn't find the probe on modern day earth. I could have used a bit more explanation but I know that sometimes they are reluctant to do that for fear of losing the audience that wants action.
        So far I liked the show but we'll see how it goes.
        As a mother of teens I could relate to the rebelling-bet those teens won't go "OTG" again!

Comment

Eh, this has a mix of good and bleh. Nothing special. I will watch next week though.

The teenage rebellion brat is annoying x 10. Why must there always be one of these? Why such crappy vehicles? And why did those dinos not kill that girl and bite off that one guy's foot. I was cheering for the dino to knock off some of those annoying teenagers.

I like the time line split and the mystery part. Though I'm guessing this rift is like an open wormhole on Stargate where you can't go back but radio waves, etc. can because at first I was confused as to how they knew what was on the other side.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
            My understanding is that they didn't have a choice as to when-they found one rift which they determined went back 85 million years and they had to take it or leave it(Can't remember how they figured out exactly how far back that was). Also, that it was a different time stream than "our" time stream since they couldn't find the probe on modern day earth. I could have used a bit more explanation but I know that sometimes they are reluctant to do that for fear of losing the audience that wants action.
            So far I liked the show but we'll see how it goes.
            As a mother of teens I could relate to the rebelling-bet those teens won't go "OTG" again!
            That was my understanding as well.
            sigpic

Comment

i agree, don't make the 'teenage rebellion brat fests' part of the show. Just gets tiring.

What i'm wondering with the son and his equations....maybe he knows either how to close the rift or how to go back. But the leader doesn't want people to go back. He doesn't want the past to turn into a recreation zone. He wants people to come and be committed to their life.

I think he's also fighting a losing battle in the colonization. they can't bring everyone back, or they'll be right back to an overpopulated planet, but how much is 'enough'? Gotta have enough for genetic diversity, but their presence and survival may threaten the natural evolution of man. (guess that's where the whole separate timeline comes into it)

sigpic

Comment

Did anyone else pick up on it that the Leader of the Sixes is the Son of Novans Leader and that he is the one writing those things on the walls? The big question is why, might the thing about being in a seperate Timeline be just a lie?
                Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                  Did anyone else pick up on it that the Leader of the Sixes is the Son of Novans Leader and that he is the one writing those things on the walls? The big question is why, might the thing about being in a seperate Timeline be just a lie?
                  I picked up on that-that it was Taylor's son. I wish they had left if a mystery as to those carvings(Maybe it's ancient aliens!) but that's just me.

Comment

The separate timeline just might be bogus. I mean, if there was an alt timeline wouldn't it already exist?
                    How can there be two timelines on the same planet?

There is the theory that the further you go back the less damage you can do because the timeline will 'fix' itself.

What if if enough humans go back they will totally muck up the natural evolution of man?what if humans extinct themselves by trying to save themselves?

sigpic

Comment

Pilot ratings are in, 3.1 A18-49. One episode in and people are already dooming the show, give it time ffs!

Comment

Network wise, shows need 10+to survive
                        But with a 3 we should at least get all made shows.
                        Next week it'll have house as a leadin. That'll help.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                          predictable. bad acting.
                          I thought the acting was okay. Would you care to elaborate on the predictability of the show though? What exactly did you see coming?

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                          AND HOW DO DINOSAURS FROM A 1993 MOVIE LOOK 938409284-2398439281928483 TIMES BETTER THAN ANYTHING TODAY???!!!
                          CGI can only give you so much. Name me one film (or show) where they've had Dinosaur CGI that looked real. Before you say Jurassic Park ~ a lot of that was done with robotics.

And the killer of Star Trek is one of them.
                          Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          Killer of Star Trek? Hmmm...do share!
                          I believe he is on about Mr Braga.

According to the show they have travelled back in time but it's a parallel universe that they arrive in.... Now that wouldn't affect people in the present on their universe but what about the one they arrive in?
                          You're assuming there were any people in that future.

And if we had the same thing happen to us in our universe would there be a ripple effect back to us now?
                          I don't know. Would we? If we ceased to exist, then by definition there would be nothing to effect us.

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                          They are only able to travel back to that period in time, its where the crack (i believe they discovered it, not created it) they use to travel goes back to. Hope they tell us more about it though, i could be wrong.
                          This. The crack in time was found, and found only to go back in one time. Having said that, wasn't it said by Taylor that he arrived 118 days before anyone else got there? Why was that I wonder? Surely the people in the future didn't send one man 118 days ahead of everyone else, and it seems a bit daft to think that they were all sent together, but all arrived at different periods. This would indicate that the crack in time wasn't constant, thus all the other groups would have sprung up all over the place.

Extras:

1) Two Way Communication / Transportation: They can communicate with their future, but they can't travel back there. Don't suppose anyone has some basic theories to this do they? I'd have thought that if you can send devices and radio signals one way, then you should be able to send them both back again.

2) There is a lot of mention about a mass-extinction: I can't believe nobody has thought of this yet, but there doesn't necessarily have to be one. Think about it ~ they've travelled back in time to a parallel universe (such a parallel universe that Earth doesn't get struck by a meteorite). That being said, obviously the citizens of 2149 wouldn't know this, but they're so far before that, that they should (in theory) find a way to save the asteroid hitting before it actually does.

3) The Moon: We've managed to find a way back through time, but we're not living on the moon yet?

4) The symbols on the rock: Obviously they've been written by Taylor's son, who is now leading the Sixers. Either the writings on the rock are mathematics to enable travel back to the future, or there is some conspiracy (via the future) that involves the past, and Taylor's son is putting a plan in motion.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          What i'm wondering with the son and his equations....maybe he knows either how to close the rift or how to go back. But the leader doesn't want people to go back. He doesn't want the past to turn into a recreation zone. He wants people to come and be committed to their life.

I think he's also fighting a losing battle in the colonization. they can't bring everyone back, or they'll be right back to an overpopulated planet, but how much is 'enough'? Gotta have enough for genetic diversity, but their presence and survival may threaten the natural evolution of man. (guess that's where the whole separate timeline comes into it)
                          This could work two ways. Maybe Taylor knows what the symbols mean, and they're a way to close the crack. He seems to want to build a better society for humanity; obviously he'll know that bringing an entire doomed population back is going to end badly. Maybe he wants to close the crack, but the Sixes want it to remain open?

Alternatively, the other group (I forget the number now) which arrived, thus becoming the Sixers isn't actually from the same future as everyone else, and thus they have their own agenda. That would really spin the show.
                          sigpic
                          It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
                            I thought the acting was okay. Would you care to elaborate on the predictability of the show though? What exactly did you see coming?

CGI can only give you so much. Name me one film (or show) where they've had Dinosaur CGI that looked real. Before you say Jurassic Park ~ a lot of that was done with robotics.

I believe he is on about Mr Braga.

You're assuming there were any people in that future.

I don't know. Would we? If we ceased to exist, then by definition there would be nothing to effect us.

This. The crack in time was found, and found only to go back in one time. Having said that, wasn't it said by Taylor that he arrived 118 days before anyone else got there? Why was that I wonder? Surely the people in the future didn't send one man 118 days ahead of everyone else, and it seems a bit daft to think that they were all sent together, but all arrived at different periods. This would indicate that the crack in time wasn't constant, thus all the other groups would have sprung up all over the place.

Extras:

1) Two Way Communication / Transportation: They can communicate with their future, but they can't travel back there. Don't suppose anyone has some basic theories to this do they? I'd have thought that if you can send devices and radio signals one way, then you should be able to send them both back again.

2) There is a lot of mention about a mass-extinction: I can't believe nobody has thought of this yet, but there doesn't necessarily have to be one. Think about it ~ they've travelled back in time to a parallel universe (such a parallel universe that Earth doesn't get struck by a meteorite). That being said, obviously the citizens of 2149 wouldn't know this, but they're so far before that, that they should (in theory) find a way to save the asteroid hitting before it actually does.

3) The Moon: We've managed to find a way back through time, but we're not living on the moon yet?

4) The symbols on the rock: Obviously they've been written by Taylor's son, who is now leading the Sixers. Either the writings on the rock are mathematics to enable travel back to the future, or there is some conspiracy (via the future) that involves the past, and Taylor's son is putting a plan in motion.

This could work two ways. Maybe Taylor knows what the symbols mean, and they're a way to close the crack. He seems to want to build a better society for humanity; obviously he'll know that bringing an entire doomed population back is going to end badly. Maybe he wants to close the crack, but the Sixes want it to remain open?

Alternatively, the other group (I forget the number now) which arrived, thus becoming the Sixers isn't actually from the same future as everyone else, and thus they have their own agenda. That would really spin the show.
                            Re: the 118 days: Yeah that threw me, too, but I took it as meaning that what seemed like a few minutes to those following going throught the event horizon took 118 days for Taylor(Like Star Trek 2009 when Spock follows 25 years after Nero when he went through right after him)

Re # 3 the Moon- Yeah I thought of that, too, why hadn't they colonized Mars?

Comment

He who controls the past controls the future.
                              So possibly one group, be them sixes or the others, are likely making a power play, hoping to control the future by keeping some part of the past from happening

But is Taylor a well meaning idealistic person? Or is he just a zealot confident in his one sense of right and to heck with the rest?

sigpic

Comment

In my opinion, it was angsty, but it had potential. And the dinosaurs were cool. It's the kind of show I'd like to get into when it's already a couple seasons in. I don't wanna get too invested with the crapload of implications and set-ups that they laid real thick on us last night without having the reassurance that they'll get resolved before the episodes run out.

Lots of intrigue. I hope they ease off a bit in the next couple episodes, but I'm doubtful. Still.... cool dinos

Comment

Working...
                                X