This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    And no one has worked out that Kara and Supergirl are the same, and are never in the same place either. You can't pick on one show for it's craziness and ignore it in the other, it's ridiculous.
    I'm not ragging on SG, I like all of the CW superhero shows (including SV, despite it's crazy antics), I am just saying it's hardly a tight, brilliant show without flaws, just like most shows on TV. It's like Stargate, it has some truly brilliant moments, but that's all they are, moments.
    Let's see. At least two nobodies found our themselves. Then Kara told Winn, James already knew, now the whole DEO knows. She also told Lucy, and I bet Lena knows too. Have I left somebody out?
    Bottom line she can fool those who see either Kara or Supergirl regularly, and not those who see her as both regularly. I'm even sure Lucy would have found out if she weren't so bent over backwards being jealous of both the same time.

That is painful to watch, to be sure, and a glaring example of what I am talking about.
    And I'm not denying it is. I'm sorry Smallville was a show of a different era, and I was looking for something in it that wasn't supposed to be there. It was a big disappointment, just like Supergirl was a big surprise for me. So I took your comparison a bit harsh, even if you've never meant it.

IMHO Supergirl is handling the whole "hero blindness" issue on a much more acceptable level, than all the old shows did. It's hard to toe the line between her posting "I'm Supergirl" on FB, and a whole town being apparently mentally challenged and taking them ten years for the light bulb to light up.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I do.

Also, I love it when Maggie tells Alex she knows about Kara and Supergirl, and how the glasses aren't really working.

I'm like -- nope, they're not.
      However, James says at one point in season 1 that Cat won't recognize her (although I'm fairly certain she did) cause she doesn't see Kara. I mean, if you're not interesting enough people really don't pay attention to your persona.
      Well Cat did, and J'onn had to put on a skirt to fool her.
      sigpic

Comment

I liked the Alex coming out story, and I liked Alex/Maggie. But not at the expense of Kara/Alex. Don't even get me started on the Mon-Ew debacle. If they had better writers maybe they could have found a balance between the two relationships that could have worked for everyone. But I guess that's too much to ask for. So while it's good for Sanvers moving forward it's bye bye Kara/Alex.

Also why would anyone think the Kara/Mon-El relationship is healthy? Hell I would prefer Kara/James, even if they didn't have any chemistry

And they done a pretty good job developing Kara/Supergirl in season 1 to grow and be a strong, independent woman. Season 2 it's like the opposite
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
          Also why would anyone think the Kara/Mon-El relationship is healthy? Hell I would prefer Kara/James, even if they didn't have any chemistry
          Yeah, I blamed poor Mehcad for the lack of chemistry, but I've just realized, Melissa can't have chemistry with guys, just as Katie can't play any character straight.

And they done a pretty good job developing Kara/Supergirl in season 1 to grow and be a strong, independent woman. Season 2 it's like the opposite
          Well, the season's not over yet. That's what I always say. It can all be a lesson to Kara, just as well they might eff it up totally. I won't judge until this arc ends, presumably at the end of the season. I just can't imagine Kara as a stay at home mom with six half Daxamite, half Kryptonian kids, while his husband works at the superhero mill, and in the evenings sits at home in a wife beater while drinking alien booze.
          sigpic

Comment

I do.

Also, I love it when Maggie tells Alex she knows about Kara and Supergirl, and how the glasses aren't really working.

I'm like -- nope, they're not.
            However, James says at one point in season 1 that Cat won't recognize her (although I'm fairly certain she did) cause she doesn't see Kara. I mean, if you're not interesting enough people really don't pay attention to your persona.
            Yeah, that was some shoe-horning going on (Clark pulled off the same deal really)
            I do think that they "let" Cat realise it before she left the show, but beforehand they did sort of push the "Kara is invisible" schtick quite a bit, even when Cat started to open up to her.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
              Let's see. At least two nobodies found our themselves. Then Kara told Winn, James already knew, now the whole DEO knows. She also told Lucy, and I bet Lena knows too. Have I left somebody out?
              Would you like a list of people who knew Clark was the Blue/red blur in Smallville? Some of them are one off nobodies as well...............
              Bottom line she can fool those who see either Kara or Supergirl regularly, and not those who see her as both regularly. I'm even sure Lucy would have found out if she weren't so bent over backwards being jealous of both the same time.
              Sure.

And I'm not denying it is. I'm sorry Smallville was a show of a different era, and I was looking for something in it that wasn't supposed to be there. It was a big disappointment, just like Supergirl was a big surprise for me. So I took your comparison a bit harsh, even if you've never meant it.
              What were you looking for in Smallville?
              As for my comparison being harsh, is it really that harsh? You like SG more, cool, awesome, I am glad you like the show. I like SV and SG, I just never had any real hopes for either because "Super-X" is a -really- hard thing to pull off well because, well, it's hard to deal with a character who can basically squash anything you put in front of them. I too am pleasantly surprised by SG, it's a good superhero show. I think there are -better- ones out there (Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Gotham spring to mind), but I never expected much from it. I like Charmed as well, but I never expected much from it either, it was just a bit of fun.

IMHO Supergirl is handling the whole "hero blindness" issue on a much more acceptable level, than all the old shows did. It's hard to toe the line between her posting "I'm Supergirl" on FB, and a whole town being apparently mentally challenged and taking them ten years for the light bulb to light up.
              There are a few eps of SV where the "rank and file" realise there is something hinky about Clark, and it doesn't take 10 years for them to do it. I just don't see the difference in the Hero blindness as much as you do, that's all
              sigpic

Comment

It's a great media for that. Is it??
                IMO that is more fitting for something like the Lifetime network.. Not a network that seems to be devoted to super=hero/supernatural shows..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  IMO that is more fitting for something like the Lifetime network.. Not a network that seems to be devoted to super=hero/supernatural shows..
                  The CW??
                  It's mainly a channel for teens and young adults, so they cover issues that might affect their primary base.
                  Neither you, nor I are part of that primary base.
                  sigpic

Comment

Rewatched The Martian Chronicles last night (as part of my Alex alien gun research) and they touch upon the lack of Alex/Kara moments, which is very touching. I forgot.

Well Cat did, and J'onn had to put on a skirt to fool her.
                    Which he thought was kinda likeable, the skirt I mean.

The CW??
                    It's mainly a channel for teens and young adults, so they cover issues that might affect their primary base.
                    Neither you, nor I are part of that primary base.
                    Hence why I thought The 100 was just going to be another teen-show, and why I was reluctant to give it a try even though the premise fascinated me greatly. I'm glad I did cause I was pleasantly surprisde.

And also, for the record...

I like Mon-El.
                    Yes, he's hiding a secret (and I haven't seen the last episode so shhh -- don't tell ) but I really like the character.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hence why I thought The 100 was just going to be another teen-show, and why I was reluctant to give it a try even though the premise fascinated me greatly. I'm glad I did cause I was pleasantly surprisde
                      My thoughts as well, I expected it to be a kid's show, but they behaved relatively well.

Comment

Yeah, I blamed poor Mehcad for the lack of chemistry, but I've just realized, Melissa can't have chemistry with guys, just as Katie can't play any character straight.
                        If they wanted Lena completely straight they cast the wrong actress in the part

Well, the season's not over yet. That's what I always say. It can all be a lesson to Kara, just as well they might eff it up totally. I won't judge until this arc ends, presumably at the end of the season. I just can't imagine Kara as a stay at home mom with six half Daxamite, half Kryptonian kids, while his husband works at the superhero mill, and in the evenings sits at home in a wife beater while drinking alien booze.
                        I have lost faith that these writers actually know what they're doing. This season has been a bit of a mess
                        sigpic

Comment

If they wanted Lena completely straight they cast the wrong actress in the part
                          Why is the actress bi or lesbian?

Comment

Let's eat Grandma?
                            sigpic

Comment

No idea. She just rarely plays parts completely straight and she's a natural flirt
                              Last edited by Linda06; 22 March 2017, 12:55 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Katie McGrath will always be Morgana for me though (whom I secretely shipped with Gwen).

However, she's deliciously awesome as Lena.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X