Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Clone Wars: Season 5 (spoilers/discussion/speculation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    Care to enlighten me by that BOLD yet Cryptic statement?
    • Anakin originally got his scar dueling with Asajj Ventress in 19 BBY, near the end of the war. The show is set from 22-20 BBY (so far), making this a rather glaring goof. Further, originally Anakin was not elevated from Padawan to Knight until near the end of the war. TCW has retconned this so that he's a Knight for most of the war.
    • Ahsoka Tano did not exist prior to the inception of TCW. As such, she is not mentioned by any Expanded Universe sources--even those set in or near to the same time period.
    • Evan Piell forms a crucial plot point of the first Coruscant Nights novel, dying near the beginning and becoming the driving plot point that moves the book forward. The book is set not long after Order 66 and the Declaration of a New Order. The book was published in June 2008. Three years later, TCW threw this out and decided to kill him off in Citadel Rescue, late in Season 3. As such, the main plot of the first book of the CN series now no longer makes sense.
    • Asajj Ventress originally made it through most of the war, then was implanted with rage-enhancing cybernetics when she was badly injured. Finally, she was defeated at the Battle of Boz Pity and assumed killed--though she secretly escaped into the unknown, tired of the war. TCW threw this out to facilitate the Nightsisters/Savage/Maul story.
    • Darth Maul was considered well and fully dead by the entire Expanded Universe, and treated as such. TCW ignored this to bring him back as a major series villain.
    • Adi Gallia was recently killed off in the Season 5 premiere Revival, in a duel with Savage Opress. She was originally killed by Grievous in Obsession, a comic that was published in 2005.
    • More generally, the timeline of the war used to be extremely clear. The games, novels, and comics laid out the timeline of the war in detail; nearly every one being given a placement in number of days or months ABG (After the Battle of Geonosis). As TCW occupies a higher tier of canon than the EU material and does not have detailed timeline placement, all of the formerly well-organized EU material is having to be reorganized and the entire Clone Wars timeline is in flux.

That's all I can think of offhand.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      • Anakin originally got his scar dueling with Asajj Ventress in 19 BBY, near the end of the war. The show is set from 22-20 BBY (so far), making this a rather glaring goof. Further, originally Anakin was not elevated from Padawan to Knight until near the end of the war. TCW has retconned this so that he's a Knight for most of the war.
      • Ahsoka Tano did not exist prior to the inception of TCW. As such, she is not mentioned by any Expanded Universe sources--even those set in or near to the same time period.
      • Evan Piell forms a crucial plot point of the first Coruscant Nights novel, dying near the beginning and becoming the driving plot point that moves the book forward. The book is set not long after Order 66 and the Declaration of a New Order. The book was published in June 2008. Three years later, TCW threw this out and decided to kill him off in Citadel Rescue, late in Season 3. As such, the main plot of the first book of the CN series now no longer makes sense.
      • Asajj Ventress originally made it through most of the war, then was implanted with rage-enhancing cybernetics when she was badly injured. Finally, she was defeated at the Battle of Boz Pity and assumed killed--though she secretly escaped into the unknown, tired of the war. TCW threw this out to facilitate the Nightsisters/Savage/Maul story.
      • Darth Maul was considered well and fully dead by the entire Expanded Universe, and treated as such. TCW ignored this to bring him back as a major series villain.
      • Adi Gallia was recently killed off in the Season 5 premiere Revival, in a duel with Savage Opress. She was originally killed by Grievous in Obsession, a comic that was published in 2005.
      • More generally, the timeline of the war used to be extremely clear. The games, novels, and comics laid out the timeline of the war in detail; nearly every one being given a placement in number of days or months ABG (After the Battle of Geonosis). As TCW occupies a higher tier of canon than the EU material and does not have detailed timeline placement, all of the formerly well-organized EU material is having to be reorganized and the entire Clone Wars timeline is in flux.

That's all I can think of offhand.
      well if this is what's going on during TCW (the actual war) then i can't wait to see what they do during the actual movies post ROTJedi continuity.

Comment

Well that was awful.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

5.10 "Secret Weapons" trivia
          Spoiler:
          AM I BLUE?
          The opening logo on the episodes of this arc is blue rather than the traditional yellow, as a tribute to R2-D2.

MASTERS AND ASTROMECHS
          The Jedi Knights seen accompanying their droids during the war room briefing are Anakin Skywalker (with R2-D2), Aayla Secura (with QT-KT), Thongla Jur (with U9-C4), and Tera Sinube (with M5-BZ).

WAC'S COMMANDER
          WAC-47's master is Clone Commander Neyo, a trooper first seen on Saleucami in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith.

NEYO'S DIGITS
          Although he is not seen without his helmet in this episode, Commander Neyo's head was designed, and sports a tattoo of his number: CC-8826.

CUTE INSPIRATION
          QT-KT is inspired by R2-KT, a pink astromech droid created by Star Wars fans in tribute to Katie Johnson, daughter of Albin Johnson, founder of the 501st Legion. The droid, who is now dedicated to the memory of the late Katie, makes appearances at children's hospitals. Though R2-KT previously appeared in The Clone Wars movie, Qutee is a separate droid to avoid having two droids named "Artoo" on the same mission.

VOICE MINE
          The swarm mine asset began life as the vocal emulator device used by Obi-Wan Kenobi when he posed as Rako Hardeen in "Deception."

GASCON'S FROGGY ROOTS
          Colonel Gascon is based on an early, unused concept design that helped shape the development of Jar Jar Binks, illustrated by concept artist Terryl Whitlatch before pre-production of Episode I began. (Image)

PRUDENT ADVICE, PART 1
          The hazard labels on R2-D2's enhanced booster rockets read: "WARNING: Supercharger boost must not exceed 150 percent" and "KEEP BACK."

PRUDENT ADVICE, PART 2
          The hazard label on U9-C4's laser cutter sensibly advises "EXTREME CAUTION -- Do not look directly into laser beam."

Comment

What episode are we up to this series as Ive lost track of when/how many episodes have aired...

Also, found this clip online, not sure if this was the clip that was on the site that I couldnt see...

Comment

5.11 was the last one that aired, "A Sunny Day in th Void." The next one airs in the first week of January IIRC.

Comment

5.11 was the last one that aired, "A Sunny Day in th Void." The next one airs in the first week of January IIRC.
                Thanks, looks like Ive missed the last 2 episodes of the droid arc then...
                I shall watch them tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  What episode are we up to this series as Ive lost track of when/how many episodes have aired...

Also, found this clip online, not sure if this was the clip that was on the site that I couldnt see...

Thanks for posting this, Teddybrown!!!! I can't wait for this arc to start!!
                  I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Missing in Action trivia:
                    Spoiler:
                    THE PRE-PONDA WALRUS MAN
                    The surly Aqualish seen spitting into a bucket on the streets of Abafar is designed to resemble the simplified look of the original Kenner action figure of Walrus Man.

OWER SLIDERS
                    Borkus's diner has a sign that reads OWER SLIDERS -- it would have read POWER SLIDERS, but the disrepair rampant throughout Pons Ora means the "P" has fallen off. The logo is of a slider-like burger with a tail of flame extending from it.

PT019-U
                    The Republic attack shuttle has been modified for this episode, its body has been lengthened and its wings are moved back further along the body. The shuttle in this episode has an extra cargo pod (stenciled with the serial number PT019-U) slung beneath the ship's main hull.

HOCKEY NIGHT ON ABAFAR?
                    Clone Commando Gregor's helmet markings are based on the hash-marks that Boston Bruins goalie Gerry Cheevers stenciled on his mask to denote the stitches he would have gotten had he not been wearing protective gear. Sorry, NHL fans. This might be the closest you get to hockey this year.

COMMANDO COLORS
                    Although it may look like Abafar dust, the off-white coloring on Gregor's armor is actually a digital camouflage pattern.

WORMY NICKNAME
                    Borkus calls Gascon a "conduit worm." This is a parasitic creature first named and pictured in the Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary, published by DK Books in 2002.

MALACHOR ORIGINS
                    In one of his colorful phrases, Gascon says "There's no way in Malachor..." Malachor is a hellish wasteland world that first appeared in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

THE BATTLE OF SARRISH
                    Gregor mentions the Battle of Sarrish. This is an event dramatized in an Expanded Universe comic book, "Routine Valor," which was the Star Wars title available for Free Comic Book Day in 2006.

ALL SALES FINAL
                    The dilapidated buildings in Pons Ora sport some hand-posted bills, such as a sales sheet offering such remarkable wares as a lightsaber (500,000 credits), a Trandoshan bird (60 credits), and a turtle tank, "a great place to hide your bounty" (350,000 credits). Caveat emptor.

REALLY TIES THE ROOM TOGETHER
                    Another posting showcases an ill-fated Snivvian frozen in carbonite, with the text "Interior Decorator Wanted; call Jabba for appointment."

LUCASARTS CLASSICS
                    Also somewhere in Abafar are posters based on classic LucasArts Adventure Games, but done with a Star Wars twists: "Kowakian Monkey Island," "Full Throttle" (with a swoop), and "Day of the Sarlacc." (Image)

IT'S A FRAP!
                    Other bizarre signage in Pons Ora is the Admiral Snackbar (with the warning "It's a Frap"), Land O' Capes, Dr. Evazan Cosmetic Surgery, Abafar Junior Dejarik Club (No Wookiees), Game Go and Adopt-a-Wampa.

DOWN IN THE DUMPS
                    The most common signs in the mining town, however, are "CLOSED," "OUT OF BUSINESS," "FINAL SALE," and "FOR LEASE."

Comment

Missing in Action trivia:
                      Spoiler:
                      THE PRE-PONDA WALRUS MAN
                      The surly Aqualish seen spitting into a bucket on the streets of Abafar is designed to resemble the simplified look of the original Kenner action figure of Walrus Man.

OWER SLIDERS
                      Borkus's diner has a sign that reads OWER SLIDERS -- it would have read POWER SLIDERS, but the disrepair rampant throughout Pons Ora means the "P" has fallen off. The logo is of a slider-like burger with a tail of flame extending from it.

PT019-U
                      The Republic attack shuttle has been modified for this episode, its body has been lengthened and its wings are moved back further along the body. The shuttle in this episode has an extra cargo pod (stenciled with the serial number PT019-U) slung beneath the ship's main hull.

HOCKEY NIGHT ON ABAFAR?
                      Clone Commando Gregor's helmet markings are based on the hash-marks that Boston Bruins goalie Gerry Cheevers stenciled on his mask to denote the stitches he would have gotten had he not been wearing protective gear. Sorry, NHL fans. This might be the closest you get to hockey this year.

COMMANDO COLORS
                      Although it may look like Abafar dust, the off-white coloring on Gregor's armor is actually a digital camouflage pattern.

WORMY NICKNAME
                      Borkus calls Gascon a "conduit worm." This is a parasitic creature first named and pictured in the Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary, published by DK Books in 2002.

MALACHOR ORIGINS
                      In one of his colorful phrases, Gascon says "There's no way in Malachor..." Malachor is a hellish wasteland world that first appeared in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

THE BATTLE OF SARRISH
                      Gregor mentions the Battle of Sarrish. This is an event dramatized in an Expanded Universe comic book, "Routine Valor," which was the Star Wars title available for Free Comic Book Day in 2006.

ALL SALES FINAL
                      The dilapidated buildings in Pons Ora sport some hand-posted bills, such as a sales sheet offering such remarkable wares as a lightsaber (500,000 credits), a Trandoshan bird (60 credits), and a turtle tank, "a great place to hide your bounty" (350,000 credits). Caveat emptor.

REALLY TIES THE ROOM TOGETHER
                      Another posting showcases an ill-fated Snivvian frozen in carbonite, with the text "Interior Decorator Wanted; call Jabba for appointment."

LUCASARTS CLASSICS
                      Also somewhere in Abafar are posters based on classic LucasArts Adventure Games, but done with a Star Wars twists: "Kowakian Monkey Island," "Full Throttle" (with a swoop), and "Day of the Sarlacc." (Image)

IT'S A FRAP!
                      Other bizarre signage in Pons Ora is the Admiral Snackbar (with the warning "It's a Frap"), Land O' Capes, Dr. Evazan Cosmetic Surgery, Abafar Junior Dejarik Club (No Wookiees), Game Go and Adopt-a-Wampa.

DOWN IN THE DUMPS
                      The most common signs in the mining town, however, are "CLOSED," "OUT OF BUSINESS," "FINAL SALE," and "FOR LEASE."
                      Thanks for posting the trivia, DigiFluid. I always like reading them.

Spoiler:
                      Kind of figured that's where they got the idea for Gregor's helmet.
                      I wonder if we'll ever get to see any other clone commandos?
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

so my step brother's son got that darth maul shadow conspiracy book and i don't know what came over me but i read the stupid thing and now im kicking myself.

Comment

Watching Missing in Action right now. My favorite moment so far: "There's no way in Malachor..." hehe. Great nod to KotOR II.

Like A Sunny Day in the Void, I'm liking the unusual, existential feel of this episode.

Edit: Sad ending about Gregor. I doubt we'll run into him again but given the material this season, we never know.
                          Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 07 January 2013, 04:08 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ugh. Just got done watching Point of No Return. I wasn't expecting ANOTHER bloody D-Squad episode. Thank the frakkin' gods this is the last one, hopefully we'll never have to see them again--EVER.

I think this is the first time there's ever been 8 consecutive episodes of this show that I've absolutely loathed. Thank goodness the next 3 are looking epic.

Comment

Point of No Return trivia:

Spoiler:
                              COLORFUL METAPHORS
                              Colonel Gascon introduces the phrases "Snogwash!" and "Mother of Kwath" to the growing library of Star Wars phrases.

CARIDA ORIGINS
                              The Carida system first appeared in the 1994 novels of the Jedi Academy Trilogy, written by Kevin J. Anderson. It does not fare well in the future.

VALOR ORIGINS
                              The look of Valor station was inspired by the departure station seen in the newly revamped Star Tours: The Adventures Continue ride.

HEADS-DOWN DISPLAY
                              The display table seen at the strategy conference is an octagonal design inspired by the circular table seen in the Rebel base war room during the Battle of Yavin in Episode IV. (Image)

UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND
                              Tarkin, last seen as a captain in The Citadel arc in Season Three, is now an admiral. He is moving on up in the Republic military.

Comment

Preview clip from 5.14 "Eminence" is now online, featuring Maul, Savage, Bo-katan, and Pre Vizsla. There's also a 5-image slideshow of a couple screenshots and a couple concept art pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X