No announcement yet.

The Clone Wars: Season 4 -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Filoni on a certain upcoming character....

Spoilers for "Spring 2012", so probably late in the season:
    Spoiler:
    Oct 12 2011 08:00 AM ET

1581Share

Darth Maul Lives! And he's coming to 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' this spring -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
    by Christian Blauvelt
    Categories: EW Exclusive, Sci-Fi, Star Wars, TV Characters

Comments 42
    Add comment

Darth-Maul-Clone-wars

He’s alive!

That’s right. As unlikely as it may seem, Darth Maul, the glowering Sith warrior who fell to Obi-Wan Kenobi’s blade at the end of Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace actually survived being cut in half and will return to George Lucas’s still unfolding space saga on Cartoon Network’s Star Wars: The Clone Wars (read our recaps here!) in spring 2012.

With his red-and-black tattooed face, Bronson-esque stoicism, Dervish-like mixed martial-arts moves (courtesy of Ray Park), and legendary double-bladed lightsaber—the coolest birthday present for 10-year-old boys in the summer of 1999—Maul was easily the most striking character in The Phantom Menace. (TPM is due to be released in theaters with a 3-D facelift February 10, 2012). And he only had three lines in the movie! Maul was a blunt instrument, a weapon of pure aggression to carry out the bidding of ?ber Sith Lord Darth Sidious (a.k.a the future Emperor Palpatine), when he wasn’t yet ready to emerge from the shadows. Think of Maul like the Star Wars equivalent of Daniel Craig’s Bond. Only, did we mention he had a frickin’ double-bladed lightsaber?

When he was vivisected courtesy of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Maul immediately took his place among pop culture figures who’d also been cut in half: Bishop in Aliens, Quint in Jaws, Tony Goldwyn in Ghost, the Black Dahlia. Needless to say, we never expected to see him again, right?

Wrong! Last January a Clone Wars arc featuring a relative of Maul’s, the duped, sympathetic Nightbrother of Dathomir Savage Opress teased a hazy image of Maul in a crystal ball. Did this mean the former Sith Warrior was still alive? Indeed, and EW’s got an exclusive video first look at Maul’s animated form. Take a walk on the Dark Side and check it out after the break:

“I found it funny in The Phantom Menace when Darth Maul got cut in half,” Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni says. “I thought George was definitively saying to the fans, ‘There’s no way this character is coming back. This is not a Boba Fett/Sarlacc Pit situation where, because of fan love, Boba gets out of that thing any number of ways.’ Fast-forward ten-years, and I’m the one to bring Maul back.”

Well, mostly. Filoni acknowledges that the order to resurrect the Sith Lord came from George Lucas himself, who became more interested in his Phantom Menace creation while developing Savage Opress for the last season of The Clone Wars. Awesome as Maul was in the movie, he barely got to do anything before the old chop-chop. When asked if Maul’s return is motivated by the feeling that he was underutilized in The Phantom Menace, Filoni says, “I think in part.”

Filoni's biggest challenge, though, will come from the legions of fans ready to shout “No way!” at the very idea of a Maul return. But addressing the (un)believability of his survival could make for some interesting drama. “First of all, how does he survive getting cut in half?” says Filoni. “Plus, he fell! And also, don’t forget Obi-Wan Kenobi is still around, so I’m sure Maul wouldn’t be very happy with him.”

Fans will note that there is precedent for this kind of resurrection. “The Dark Side of the Force is the path to many abilities some consider to be…unnatural,” Darth Sidious says in Revenge of the Sith. Sidious and his master found a way to use the Force to cheat death—that’s how he was able to keep Vader alive after that little swan dive into a lava field. Couldn’t Maul have picked up on some of that too? Says Filoni, “He’s suffered through a lot to keep himself alive and implemented the training of his master to do so.”

Once you get beyond the plausibility issues, what’s left is actually an amazing storytelling opportunity. The Clone Wars has featured other characters from the movies, but mostly original trilogy stalwarts like Chewbacca, Tarkin, and Ackbar. Those are all characters whose fates have already been decided. “Here, we’re moving forward with Maul,” Filoni says. “He’s more than ten years older than he was in The Phantom Menace. That’s immensely satisfying, because now nobody knows what’s going to happen to him. I know, but nobody else does.”

Source

Video at link with a maddeningly unrevealing teaser.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Dave Filoni on a certain upcoming character....

Spoilers for "Spring 2012", so probably late in the season:
      Spoiler:
      Oct 12 2011 08:00 AM ET

1581Share

Darth Maul Lives! And he's coming to 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' this spring -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
      by Christian Blauvelt
      Categories: EW Exclusive, Sci-Fi, Star Wars, TV Characters

Comments 42
      Add comment

Darth-Maul-Clone-wars

He’s alive!

That’s right. As unlikely as it may seem, Darth Maul, the glowering Sith warrior who fell to Obi-Wan Kenobi’s blade at the end of Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace actually survived being cut in half and will return to George Lucas’s still unfolding space saga on Cartoon Network’s Star Wars: The Clone Wars (read our recaps here!) in spring 2012.

With his red-and-black tattooed face, Bronson-esque stoicism, Dervish-like mixed martial-arts moves (courtesy of Ray Park), and legendary double-bladed lightsaber—the coolest birthday present for 10-year-old boys in the summer of 1999—Maul was easily the most striking character in The Phantom Menace. (TPM is due to be released in theaters with a 3-D facelift February 10, 2012). And he only had three lines in the movie! Maul was a blunt instrument, a weapon of pure aggression to carry out the bidding of ?ber Sith Lord Darth Sidious (a.k.a the future Emperor Palpatine), when he wasn’t yet ready to emerge from the shadows. Think of Maul like the Star Wars equivalent of Daniel Craig’s Bond. Only, did we mention he had a frickin’ double-bladed lightsaber?

When he was vivisected courtesy of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Maul immediately took his place among pop culture figures who’d also been cut in half: Bishop in Aliens, Quint in Jaws, Tony Goldwyn in Ghost, the Black Dahlia. Needless to say, we never expected to see him again, right?

Wrong! Last January a Clone Wars arc featuring a relative of Maul’s, the duped, sympathetic Nightbrother of Dathomir Savage Opress teased a hazy image of Maul in a crystal ball. Did this mean the former Sith Warrior was still alive? Indeed, and EW’s got an exclusive video first look at Maul’s animated form. Take a walk on the Dark Side and check it out after the break:

“I found it funny in The Phantom Menace when Darth Maul got cut in half,” Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni says. “I thought George was definitively saying to the fans, ‘There’s no way this character is coming back. This is not a Boba Fett/Sarlacc Pit situation where, because of fan love, Boba gets out of that thing any number of ways.’ Fast-forward ten-years, and I’m the one to bring Maul back.”

Well, mostly. Filoni acknowledges that the order to resurrect the Sith Lord came from George Lucas himself, who became more interested in his Phantom Menace creation while developing Savage Opress for the last season of The Clone Wars. Awesome as Maul was in the movie, he barely got to do anything before the old chop-chop. When asked if Maul’s return is motivated by the feeling that he was underutilized in The Phantom Menace, Filoni says, “I think in part.”

Filoni's biggest challenge, though, will come from the legions of fans ready to shout “No way!” at the very idea of a Maul return. But addressing the (un)believability of his survival could make for some interesting drama. “First of all, how does he survive getting cut in half?” says Filoni. “Plus, he fell! And also, don’t forget Obi-Wan Kenobi is still around, so I’m sure Maul wouldn’t be very happy with him.”

Fans will note that there is precedent for this kind of resurrection. “The Dark Side of the Force is the path to many abilities some consider to be…unnatural,” Darth Sidious says in Revenge of the Sith. Sidious and his master found a way to use the Force to cheat death—that’s how he was able to keep Vader alive after that little swan dive into a lava field. Couldn’t Maul have picked up on some of that too? Says Filoni, “He’s suffered through a lot to keep himself alive and implemented the training of his master to do so.”

Once you get beyond the plausibility issues, what’s left is actually an amazing storytelling opportunity. The Clone Wars has featured other characters from the movies, but mostly original trilogy stalwarts like Chewbacca, Tarkin, and Ackbar. Those are all characters whose fates have already been decided. “Here, we’re moving forward with Maul,” Filoni says. “He’s more than ten years older than he was in The Phantom Menace. That’s immensely satisfying, because now nobody knows what’s going to happen to him. I know, but nobody else does.”

Source

Video at link with a maddeningly unrevealing teaser.
      Spoiler:
      It was about to happen sooner or later. It was implied in the series and I believe that he returns in one of the EU comics. It's going to be interesting to see how he survived, but it may be a bit strange for those unfamiliar with the EU to know that the dark side allows such things to happen

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        Spoiler:
        but it may be a bit strange for those unfamiliar with the EU to know that the dark side allows such things to happen
        Spoiler:
        Hopefully the line in RotS that was quoted in that article is mysterious and vague enough that people don't whine too hard.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Spoiler:
          Hopefully the line in RotS that was quoted in that article is mysterious and vague enough that people don't whine too hard.
          Spoiler:
          I'm not really sure the line in RotS will work in this instance. That seemed to suggest a talent, some force ability that allowed Plageius to do that. Personally I'm more fond the idea that it will be similar to Anakin's rage at Obi-Wan spanking him hard at the end of RotS.

I've always liked the idea that the Sith's uncontrollable rage allows them to do stuff like stay alive. I think it's what kept Anakin alive, perhaps Maul, worked on Darth Scion and I think it worked the same with Darth Nihilus too. I believe it's infinitely more badass for a Sith to go postal and be able to survive almost anything.

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
            Yep, Darth Sion is a great example. A man who by all rights should be dead, held together only by his anger and hatred. This is what I kind of expect of Maul's return too.

Hope people accept it as readily as I will

Comment

Wow, that is interesting to have confirmation on him. If they do this right, it could turn out great.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Spoiler:
                Going the Darth Sion route would be dangerous. Sion was a supreme badass because he could not die, and I don't think Obi-Wan has the chops to talk him into dying like the Exile did. It would be awesome, but out of their league, methinks. KOTOR 2 had villains that were hard to top and don't transition well as equal foes.

More likely, he'll be a cyborg and probably somewhat sustained by the Force.

Comment

Well that was kind of a fun piss-take of several classics

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    Going the Darth Sion route would be dangerous. Sion was a supreme badass because he could not die, and I don't think Obi-Wan has the chops to talk him into dying like the Exile did. It would be awesome, but out of their league, methinks. KOTOR 2 had villains that were hard to top and don't transition well as equal foes.

More likely, he'll be a cyborg and probably somewhat sustained by the Force.
                    Spoiler:
                    I'm expecting him to be a cyborg too, hopefully with his top and bottom somehow reattached (although I wouldn't be surprised if there was some mechanical waist). My idea is Maul survived through pure will power/rage like Scion, and perhaps even like Anakin at the end of III, rather than Digi's initial impression that they could do it through Darth Plagueis style force powers.

Using Plagieus style force powers does have a valid claim and would help support Palpatine's claims in the third movie, but those powers died with Plagueis. Palpatine had no clue and Anakin and a bit of dialogue (that I remember) was something like together they (Palpatine and Anakin) could rediscover the secret. He basically punked Anakin into turning and could have just sat there telling the dumbass that rotating a planet on it's axis will cause time to reverse allowing him to save Padme.

As for tonights episiode, I liked the 47 styles of self defence and R2's reaction, flying through space together was good, but the rest seemed like a few episodes (clearly ripped off) put together so there no real story but parts clearly missing (like the Jedi rescue at the end) which just took away from it. Clearly filler episodes, I'm hoping the next arc will live up to expectations.

sigpic

Comment

Well that was kind of a fun piss-take of several classics
                      That it was.

Spoiler:
                      You had to love Plo Koon sticking Wolfe with the droids at the end. Especially given how much Wolfe liked having them around in the previous episode.
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Well that was a fun episode.
                        Love C-3PO trying to defend himself with a plant, and R2s 47 styles of defence.

Looking forward to next weeks episode.

Comment

It was a fun episode
                          Last Movie Watched
                          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                          Life is Strange

Comment

Lol I'm guessing this is kinda what the animated Star Wars humor series will kinda be like. That episode was awesome classic Threepio, and Artoo-Detoo moments.
                            1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
                            5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
                            6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:1-6

Comment

More upcoming titles, plucked from Wookieepedia, citing Star Wars Insider #129:

4.07 "Darkness On Umbara" (Oct 28)
                              4.08 "The General"
                              4.09 "Plans of Dissent"
                              4.10 "Carnage of Krell"
                              4.11 "Kidnapped"
                              4.12 "Slaves of the Republic"
                              4.13 "Escape from Kadavo"

Naturally, all subject to change.
                              Last edited by DigiFluid; 27 October 2011, 09:42 AM. Reason: minor spelling correction due to error in Star Wars Insider 129

Comment

More upcoming titles, plucked from Wookieepedia, citing Star Wars Insider #129:

4.07 "Darkness On Umbara" (Oct 28)
                                4.08 "The General"
                                4.09 "Plans of Dissent"
                                4.10 "Carnage of Krall"
                                4.11 "Kidnapped"
                                4.12 "Slaves of the Republic"
                                4.13 "Escape from Kadavo"

Naturally, all subject to change.
                                The two highlighted ones have me intrigued. Could we get to see clones talking about leaving the army when the war is done?
                                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Working...
                                X