The Clone Wars: Season 4 -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    I know there is big differences, but that's not the point I was trying to make.

What I'm curious about, given the similar plot between these episodes and the short, is whether or not this series will replace the shorts in the overall Clone Wars chronology by replacing the shorts with full length episodes or if they'll be worked into the overall chronology by having shorts act as prequels or these episodes act as sequels.

I know they can't replace all the shorts, as Grevious and Ventress were introduced in the shorts but already established in the series, but there are some shorts that could have worked incredibly well as full episodes (such as the Battle over Corusant leading into Episode III)
    This opening two-parter kind of got me wondering along the same lines. Not in a full-on either/or sort of way, but rather in the context of how they've said before that TCW might be telling stories 'from a different point of view' from the Genndy CW shorts.

It could well be that both Genndy's and TCW's Battles of Mon Cal are the same, just told in different ways. This might raise some interesting new canon questions, but it would also be a neat new way to do some storytelling. Like hearing two different vets tell their stories about the same battle--the core story would be the same, but the details may vary wildly.

I'd frickin' love to see this series tackle the beginning of the Battle of Coruscant though. How badass a space battle and ground assault would that be to see in TCW CGI animation?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      It could well be that both Genndy's and TCW's Battles of Mon Cal are the same, just told in different ways. This might raise some interesting new canon questions, but it would also be a neat new way to do some storytelling. Like hearing two different vets tell their stories about the same battle--the core story would be the same, but the details may vary wildly.
      I think that could work on some shorts, but perhaps not this one. There are too many differences, which actually could be worked into part 3. I do like the idea of using the shorts as a second perspective so the short could show Fisto leaving during part 3 for reinforcements while the short explains his return and what went on while everyone else is doing their own thing and that would allow the short to fit into the events of the Mon Calamari trilogy.

It would be easier for the canon if the shorts are a first battle and this episode is a second battle, but the possibility of working the shorts into the episode plots (like alternate perspectives) or into episodes themselves is just too good to pass up. If the shorts are chronologically in order, then the biggest majority of shorts already happened. It would be shorts up until the point Greivious' is introduced, then the Clone Wars series, followed by the final few shorts with the Battle of Coruscant and finally Episode III.

Makes sense at the time, but Clone Wars makes it a bit sloppy so redoing shorts works.

I'd frickin' love to see this series tackle the beginning of the Battle of Coruscant though. How badass a space battle and ground assault would that be to see in TCW CGI animation?
      If the series doesn't end with such a battle, then there is no justice in the world. I can understand if they didn't want to replace any of Genndy's stuff but the Battle over Coruscant looked amazing in RotS and that was just how the battle coming to an end. To turn the actual battle (above and on planet) into a 75 minute three parter would be a fantastic ending and part of me also thinks an excuse for a second Clone Wars CG movie.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        If the series doesn't end with such a battle, then there is no justice in the world. I can understand if they didn't want to replace any of Genndy's stuff but the Battle over Coruscant looked amazing in RotS and that was just how the battle coming to an end. To turn the actual battle (above and on planet) into a 75 minute three parter would be a fantastic ending and part of me also thinks an excuse for a second Clone Wars CG movie.
        I'd really like a second Clone Wars CG movie covering the Battle of Coruscant!!
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

anybody know what this "umbara" arc that is supposed to be happening this season?

Comment

Umbara is the home world of Palpatine’s aide Sly Moore, and is a planet of perpetual darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
              Umbara is the home world of Palpatine’s aide Sly Moore, and is a planet of perpetual darkness.
              But that's not exactly what the arc is about, but just the planet involved.

I believe (but could be wrong) that the Umbara arc is used in the trailers. It's the footage of the Clones on dark, misty alien forest. It's a heavy clone series of episodes (an arc of 4) and if I am right, it's also the arc with the two dual-lightsaber Jedi and has the footage of the Clones doing that 501st Legion march (in Ep3) and Rex putting on his helmet.

At this point in time I'm not sure anyone knows what it's about, but I did see a video of Dee Bradley Baker talking about how cinematic it looks. They've brought in well known/experienced live action filmmakers Walter Murch who is directing an episode of the arc, wrote some stuff with Lucas before he did Star Wars, and has won several Oscars winner for sounds and editing (which is DBB thought of it was being cinematic).

sigpic

Comment

Finally caught up to watching the first two episodes of season 4. I usually watch them on my computer but since my old G5 tanked I couldn't download anything until my new laptop was up and running.

Good stories, lots of action, and I'm glad to see that Ahsoka is once again in the thick of things and now really holding her own. I do hope they revisit the story lines about The Family from season 3 at some point.
                sigpic

Comment

More episodes announced.... Current upcoming schedule:

4.04 "Shadow Warrior" -- Sept 30
                  4.05 "Mercy Mission" -- Oct 7
                  4.06 "Nomad Droids" -- Oct 14
                  4.07 "Darkness on Umbara" -- Oct 21
                  Last edited by DigiFluid; 28 September 2011, 12:09 PM. Reason: fix spelling mistake
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I became a fan of SW:CW since SG and BSG have ended. Okay, I won't know so much details what an "average" SW fan does, but I am so happy to see that we get this show every week. I like that everything has an own individual name (races, planets, NPCs) while they can show us such scifi worlds which couldn't be done on a TV show.

S4 started wonderful, because I appreciated the small water related things in the episode (moves, lights etc.). It was a bit silly that they could talk underwater. And even the triology was so brutal what I could imagine only for the Spartacus show.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      It was a bit silly that they could talk underwater.
                      I figure the ones in the suits had internal radios, while the aquatic life forms (Gungans, Mon Cal, Quarren) are evolved to do so.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      And even the triology was so brutal what I could imagine only for the Spartacus show.
                      What?

Comment

I mean dead boddies were floating in the water... And the final duel was also bloody in 4x03. It was a bit too brutal for my taste.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

So you want it to have Disney deaths with all the deaths off screen?

Comment

There was no blood earlier in SW and now they crossed this line. Sorry. I still love this show!

Comment

"Star Wars" begs to differ.

Comment

Finally caught up!
                                Just finished watching Season 3, now trying to find Season 4, anyone know where and when it airs in the UK? Or am I going to have to rely on youtube like I have for the other seasons?

Im loving the series so far, so much character development, and some of the battles and storylines are awesome!
                                I also like the fact that they are bringing in loads of different characters from both games and the Episodes 4 - 6. Was nice seeing so many characters from the older films getting a bit more character development.
                                Always knew about this series, but so glad Ive got into and watched all the episodes, I literally havent disliked an episode yet, Ive liked some more than others, but I honestly cant say I dont like one episode... Same with the characters, I like some characters more than others, but even the ones that slightly annoy me I can put up with, and its funny that Jar Jar isnt even one of the characters that annoys me, he can be alittle irritating sometimes, but I actually enjoy his character most of the time.
                                The droids are also pretty funny.
                                Its strange that you actually start to feel for some of the characters and you miss them when they are killed (even the droids, who I sorta feel sorry for lol). Thats what I also like about this series, they arent afraid to kill characters, and also, arent afraid of killing them in creative and visual ways.
                                And of course, R2 D2 is awesome and C 3PO, and Anakin, Obi Wan and Ahsoka, Count Dooku, Ventress, General Grevious, Yoda, Windu, Master Plo Koon, Clones, droids, Palpatine, and some others I cant think of now

Comment

Working...
                                X