No announcement yet.

Star Trek Discovery Season 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what roles the red bursts will play in the final episode. So all what we know that possible the future Burnham placed them to lure the Destiny there to injure herself to lure out her mother to lure out the idea of time travel. If this is correct. Because why would Burnham bother to rescue those people on that planet which were saved from the WW3? It had nothing to do with the greater plot so far and it has resulted only to injure herself, so her mommy could show up. But why would the futureBurnham would care about such planets? I am sure there were other races in danger as well...

And I still don't get it how do they know if there are 7 red bursts are in the galaxy if they haven't happened then... Because later they have found Spock's drawing which could tell them how many will show up, but until that?! That is one of the plot holes what they should fix in the final episode.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      I don't know what roles the red bursts will play in the final episode.
      Agreed...can't wait to find out!

So all what we know that possible the future Burnham placed them to lure the Destiny there to injure herself to lure out her mother to lure out the idea of time travel. If this is correct.
      Hrm...I don't remember that ever being said, or even implied.

Because why would Burnham bother to rescue those people on that planet which were saved from the WW3? It had nothing to do with the greater plot so far and it has resulted only to injure herself,
      That's a very good question, I admit I hadn't even thought of it!

And I still don't get it how do they know if there are 7 red bursts are in the galaxy if they haven't happened then...
      It was in the season premiere -- the seven bursts all happened at once in a 24h period, across a 30,000 light-year distance (too far to travel by warp). Starfleet scanners/sensors detected them but were unable to get a full reading on them except for the one. That's the one at the asteroid where they went in episode 201 (where they rescued Reno).

Since then they've been following a trail...at location A, detect a signal for one at location B so we'll warp there. Adventures at location B, and oh we got a signal for location C at the end, so let's go there.

They appear to have been led along a path. To what end, I don't know.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Indeed. The seven bursts at the same time were basically a message. "Pay attention!" If there were just one at a time Starfleet might not have been as quick to jump on them.

As for the people on Teralysium, Dr. Burnham explained that in one of her logs. She moved the people from Earth as a test to see if time was fluid and could be changed.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          As for the people on Teralysium, Dr. Burnham explained that in one of her logs. She moved the people from Earth as a test to see if time was fluid and could be changed.
          Oh, did she? I totally missed that.

Guess I'll need to rewatch
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a set diagram for Discovery yet?

Where all the various standing sets are in relation to each other on the soundstage.

It's just something I'm curious about, how much studio space things take up.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a set diagram for Discovery yet?

Where all the various standing sets are in relation to each other on the soundstage.

It's just something I'm curious about, how much studio space things take up.
              Not that I can find. I do know the show takes up two Sound stages at the Toronto Pinewood studios.

Stage 4 (Also called the Mega Stage) is the largest sound stage in North America and houses most of the set except for the Bridge. 45900 square feet is the size of the stage itself.

Stage 8 is 18000 square feet and is where the bridge is housed as well as where they conduct green screen filming.

Comment

Thanks guys, it looks like I have also missed some informations.

Simply we don't know when has DrBurnham or FutureBurnham acted. I believed they stated that she showed up only when her daughter was in mortal danger and she had a chance to fix it. But later she stated she has seen her to die so many times anyway, so it means she hasn't always tried to save her. That is the reason I believed that FutureBurnham leaded the Discovery with the dark bursts to such locations which are essential to her future mission (like saving Reno, collecting antimatter or antidark matter or whatever, freeing the Kelpians). I don't remember exactly know if the evolution was before or after they have found the orb, but it was essential that Saru could read it. If I remember well this was his biological skill and not really the "predator skill", so all Kelpians have much better vision then any other race.

Other question. How could Dr.Burnham move in space? She has got only a spacesuit and no ships. She should be able to jump back only to the same location not whereever she wants. Because I could imagine that maybe she has jumped in the distant future to get help or to see the new evolution, but it doesn't mean she can bring back a ship to her own future timeline.

And other question 2: Do the Burnhams live in every possible future outcome? So if something needs to be fixed in the past then how does she or our Michael know when they should intervene if there is no biological lifeform to document events? Or do they make mini jumps to find the right time? And if they fix a problem at the present, then how do they know in the future if it was needed to be fixed in the past if it hasn't happened thanks to the intervention of the Discovery? This time travel plot is too confusing.
                Last edited by Platschu; 15 April 2019, 10:43 AM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Thanks guys, it looks like I have also missed some informations.

Simply we don't know when has DrBurnham or FutureBurnham acted. I believed they stated that she showed up only when her daughter was in mortal danger and she had a chance to fix it. But later she stated she has seen her to die so many times anyway. That is the reason I believed that FutureBurnham leaded the Discovery with the dark bursts to such locations which are essential to her future mission (like saving Reno, collecting antimatter or antidark matter or whatever, freeing the Kelpians). I don't remember exactly know if the evolution was before or after they have found the orb, but it was essential that Saru could read it. If I remember well this was his biological skill and not really the "predator skill".
                  Saru evolved as a result of the sphere.

And yes, the red bursts they have been following have led them to something that has so far been essential in their mission.

The first was the asteroid where Burnham first saw the angel (which I think was her mom) but also where they picked up Reno who going by her actions in the last episode will prove to be essential.

Second, Teralysium where they pick up their first real lead about the angel AND save the humans living there from what was otherwise going to be a natural disaster.

Three, the Kelpian's home planet, whereby it appears that Saru was able to get a more indepth look at the suit, again leading them further in their theories. As an added bonus it also allowed Saru to help his home planet evolve which otherwise might have weighted on his mind after his evolution. He may have even chosen to leave the crew in order to help them otherwise.

Four, Boreth. Where they picked up the Time crystal.

Five, Xahea where they picked up Po and the technology to harness the time crystal.

Six and Seven are still to reveal themselves.

Comment

Not that I can find. I do know the show takes up two Sound stages at the Toronto Pinewood studios.

Stage 4 (Also called the Mega Stage) is the largest sound stage in North America and houses most of the set except for the Bridge. 45900 square feet is the size of the stage itself.

Stage 8 is 18000 square feet and is where the bridge is housed as well as where they conduct green screen filming.
                    Thanks for that.

I'm just curious how the sets compare to their predecessors.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Thanks for that.

I'm just curious how the sets compare to their predecessors.
                      I'm not sure. It's hard to say really. Like for example Star Trek maintained what they called their "Planet Hell" set which they used for a lot of their alien landscapes. It was used throughout TNG, but most of Disco's alien worlds are filmed on location. The Disco sets themselves are big but I'm not sure they're much bigger than previous shows. The hallways are obviously bigger but the engine room is smaller, even compared to TOS. The bridge is bigger than most but even then I'm not sure it's the biggest, particularly compared to DS9's OPS which had like 4 levels and the Voyager Bridge which was quite big too.

You do though have other sets that seem to be permanently built for each season of DSC. They had all the Klingon sets built in season one which were huge and then you have the Section 31 sets in season 2. The Enterprise sets seem to be just redresses of Discovery but clearly the Section 31 bridge is its own set, and the corridors look different too so they could be their own thing... But otherwise it's hard to say.

I'll go through season 2 again after this week and I'll be able to give you a better breakdown of stuff.

Comment

They had all the Klingon sets built in season one which were huge and then you have the Section 31 sets in season 2. The Enterprise sets seem to be just redresses of Discovery but clearly the Section 31 bridge is its own set, and the corridors look different too so they could be their own thing... But otherwise it's hard to say.
                        There is a bit of set redressing, but what is and isn't often comes as a surprise, at least to me.

The ones I'm aware of for certain:
                        - Discovery's engine room started life as a torpedo room. They were just finishing up building the set when the episode's director decided that he didn't want that, so they rushed to rejig it enough that it would work as an engine room
                        - the Mirror Universe Terran throne room set was redressed into the Orion bar/strip club
                        - pieces from the Klingon tomb ship sets were used in the Orion bar/strip club on Qo'noS in the S1 finale to give it an unconsciously recognizable Klingon flavour
                        - the Section 31 ship's bridge is the Shenzhou's bridge with the middle of the room cut out and the second level built below to give it the double-height look
                        - the corridors of the Shenzhou and Discovery are the same set, but with snap-on removable panels for easy reconfiguration
                        - the bridge of the Enterprise was an entirely new set

Comment

Y'know, I'm not entirely sure we've even seen Discovery's main engineering yet. Isn't what you guys are calling "engineering" just the control centre for the spore drive?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            There is a bit of set redressing, but what is and isn't often comes as a surprise, at least to me.

The ones I'm aware of for certain:
                            - Discovery's engine room started life as a torpedo room. They were just finishing up building the set when the episode's director decided that he didn't want that, so they rushed to rejig it enough that it would work as an engine room
                            - the Mirror Universe Terran throne room set was redressed into the Orion bar/strip club
                            - pieces from the Klingon tomb ship sets were used in the Orion bar/strip club on Qo'noS in the S1 finale to give it an unconsciously recognizable Klingon flavour
                            - the Section 31 ship's bridge is the Shenzhou's bridge with the middle of the room cut out and the second level built below to give it the double-height look
                            - the corridors of the Shenzhou and Discovery are the same set, but with snap-on removable panels for easy reconfiguration
                            - the bridge of the Enterprise was an entirely new set
                            Huh. You're right a lot of those are quite surprising. Didn't know about the engine room, but I can see it. Like the way it's built seems reminiscent of the TMP torpedo room.

Y'know, I'm not entirely sure we've even seen Discovery's main engineering yet. Isn't what you guys are calling "engineering" just the control centre for the spore drive?
                            Yeah that's engineering. But one of the few faults I have with the show is that they keep calling it both Engineering but also stuff like "The Tech Bay" and so on. During the episode with the Sphere, Reno said that she was there to fix something under Chief Engineer's orders, but Stamets had been called Chief Engineer before (despite wearing science colours), and in the same episode they make it clear that it is the Warp Reactor in front of the grating there which surely makes it Main Engineering and therefore where the Chief Engineer should be!... It's a growing pet peeve.

Comment

Huh. You're right a lot of those are quite surprising. Didn't know about the engine room, but I can see it. Like the way it's built seems reminiscent of the TMP torpedo room.
                              Yeah most of those I can't take credit for recognizing/knowing myself The engine/torpedo room, the Terran throne room/strip club, the pieces of the tomb ship in the strip club, and the corridors - all of those I learned from that Discovery event I went to in Toronto a couple months ago, when there was a Q&A with the production design team after they screened the Season 1 finale.

The Enterprise bridge being brand new I read about here (and I'm not just posting that for proof - it's kind of a neat read to find out production design stuff!)

The one I can take credit for recognizing is the Shenzhou bridge being redressed to be the S31 ship bridge. It's the triangular support posts around the upper level of the S31 bridge - I recognized those right away as being from around the perimeter of the Shenzhou bridge...and it was also recycled during Season 1 as the bridge of the Discovery after they'd modified the ship to look Terran

As the Shenzhou's bridge

Split image of 'Terran' Discovery bridge on top and Section 31 bridge bottom

Comment

Technically, I suppose Stamets is Chief Engineer of the spore drive. Since without him the damn thing doesn't work.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X