Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blueray View Post
    I'm glad to hear that this is going to be in the prime universe. Does anyone know what the show is about? The preview just shows the ship.
    Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    From the ship design, pre kirk, during kirk or during the era between kirk and Picard seem likely to me.
    Some people think that due to the USS Destiny's registry number of NCC-1031 it is post-Star Trek: Enterprise and pre-Star Trek.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Unfortunately they are either token-characters, killed off or not really used for much else than to stand around. In most TV-shows. Or stereotyped, but that's not exclusive to LGBTQ characters. Or my favorite -- character is killed, and then we learn they were LBTQ ...
      Token/killed off, you kidding me? How many Gay people were in Glee? What of Modern family which has a very big LGBTQ focus?

Heck take a look at these 3 sites (two from 2014 though), which seem to show there is a growing list of LGBTQ characters in tv these days..

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeyse...ome-into-focus

https://mic.com/articles/126357/the-...ows#.d8XdTRR6Y

http://www.advocate.com/tv/2014/09/2...cant-miss-fall

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        Some people think that due to the USS Destiny's registry number of NCC-1031 it is post-Star Trek: Enterprise and pre-Star Trek.
        Pretty sure that's the case. The warp nacelles and impulse engines certainly look pre tos.

Also I suspect that it may be the reason why CBS had a crackdown on fan films. Axanar in particular as that was meant to be set pre-tos as well.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          Pretty sure that's the case. The warp nacelles and impulse engines certainly look pre tos.

Also I suspect that it may be the reason why CBS had a crackdown on fan films. Axanar in particular as that was meant to be set pre-tos as well.
          Is another pre-Star Trek show a good idea if that is the case?

And what CBS and Paramount are doing to fan films is absolutely disgusting IMHO. Axanar and Renegades were originally going to make the 50th anniversary of Star Trek for me. I was so very much looking forward to them.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            Token/killed off, you kidding me? How many Gay people were in Glee? What of Modern family which has a very big LGBTQ focus?
            Glee and Modern Family, yes -- what about any of the other main stream TV shows like copshows, fantasy (not that many around I think), scifi, horror (not that many either that I know), netflix, family drama (or whatever they call that genre), ...

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            Heck take a look at these 3 sites (two from 2014 though), which seem to show there is a growing list of LGBTQ characters in tv these days.
            The second link deals with representing - it's a good link, and an interesting read. But it doesn't focus on the characters (which are rarely lead characters unless it's shows like Queer as Folk, Glee or Will & Grace).

However, it's moving in the right direction -- though, fans of The 100 might think otherwise.

GLAAD keeps track of LGBTQI-representation: Where We Were On TV
            I imagine their 2016 report doesn't come out until the end of the year.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              Given that we saw battles in DS9 that involve thousands of Federation ships, I don't think we should look to much at the registry number.

Comment

Glee and Modern Family, yes -- what about any of the other main stream TV shows like copshows, fantasy (not that many around I think), scifi, horror (not that many either that I know), netflix, family drama (or whatever they call that genre), ...

The 100 has bisexual, and gay characters. They shouldn't be the focus of the show through, the focus of the show should be discovery and exploration and the crew adventure.

Comment

The 100 has bisexual, and gay characters. They shouldn't be the focus of the show through, the focus of the show should be discovery and exploration and the crew adventure.
                  I watch The 100 -- just not caught up with the new season. Getting to that.
                  Although I do know this one character died, who had got involved with this other character and had mad f/f relations.

Comment

This is by no means limited to this thread, but I find it interesting that there are people who keep suggesting that LGBTQ representation is not needed because these three or four shows already do it--an observation made, apparently without a hint of irony, regarding the handful of shows which are rightly regarded as pioneers in said representation. These shows are the start, not the status quo

The fact that we (the collective we) can point to the same handful of TV series is proof positive that LGBTQ is more often than not not well- or respectfully represented on TV. It's nice to have these few exceptions to the norm that we can point to, but that's the thing: they're still exceptions.

To draw this back into Star Trek terms, imagine it's 1969 and [insert your favourite 60s TV series here] decides to feature a mixed-race relationship. Nobody with their priorities right is going to decry that because "Star Trek already did it, so why should I have to see that in my show?'

It took decades to de-stigmatize race in entertainment, and it's taken the last 50 years to see the end of Jim Crow, the end of segregation, the legalization of mixed-race relationships, and so much more. Yet even with all that hard work, both in the political world and in the entertainment, I think most reasonable people can see that racism is still alive and powerful.

Now ponder back to LGBTQ folks. They are most often under-, mis-, or not represented in entertainment at all. And in a great many places, they continue to face discrimination on a daily basis. How many times, in the last year alone, have you heard of politicians in the "land of the free" talk up and try to/pass laws which actively put down, discriminate against, and strip rights from LGBTQ people? Where race relations have had half a century to equalize--and there's still work to be done--the fight for LGBTQ is barely even out of the womb. Star Trek has a responsibility to champion that cause, as it once pioneered the cause of race.

Put plainly, Star Trek is hope. It always has been, it was built into its DNA from Day One by Gene Roddenberry. And--thank goodness--Bryan Fuller has picked up the torch and is carrying Star Trek on in the spirit with which it was intended.

A recent article at DenOfGeek.com nailed the essence of Star Trek in three sentences:
                    There has always been a message at the heart of Star Trek that resonated with different cultures and different generations. A message so universal, so inarguable, so fundamental to the core of every human being on the planet that they can identify with it, even if they don't carry it out.

You can be better.
                    Let's try to live up to that.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Star Trek: pioneering in space and in reality.

Comment

Its sad that I won't get to see this unless it comes out on DVD or BluRay.
                        sigpic

Comment

Given that we saw battles in DS9 that involve thousands of Federation ships, I don't think we should look to much at the registry number.
                          I agree. There doesn't seem to be much consistency with the registries anyway. USS Constitution, the first ship of its class, is speculated to have had the registry of NCC-1700 and all the other ships that followed such as the Enterprise should follow suit (e.g. 1701, 1702, etc.) but that doesn't explain the anomaly of why the USS Constellation had the registry of NCC-1071. So as you say just because USS Destiny's registry is NCC-1031, it doesn't necessarily mean that it comes between NX-01 and the NCC-1701...even though counting goes that way and the next highest logical registries seen in the TOS era are the USS Reliant's NCC-1864 and the USS Excelsior's registry of NX-/NCC-2000 and then go on up from there with the likes of NCC-2893, NX-74205, NCC-74656, and so on.

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          I think it is disgusting the way TPTB are treating the home country of Star Trek in terms of getting access to watch it. It should be on TV for all to watch. Simple as that. No deals. No extra payments. Just flick a channel and that should be that.

Comment

Well, as per that GLAAD link you posted, LGBTQ make up what percent of society? Barely 2% if that, yet make up almost 4% of the Regular characters and an additional 4% of reoccuring characters in TV shows and films.
                            How is THAT under-representation?? IMO that is representing them MORE than what is out in society.

So what would YOU "Consider moving in the right direction? 10% of characters being LGBTQ? 20%? 50??

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Now ponder back to LGBTQ folks. They are most often under-, mis-, or not represented in entertainment at all.
                            As i said to Falcon. LGBTQ people make up what, around 2% or so of the population? SO how is having almost 8% of characters in shows "under or misrepresenting them??

Comment

Great design for the ship. .NOT!
                              Sorta like a flying Vulcan IDIC.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                                Maybe, there's a streaming service who'll pick it up.
                                I'll have to find other ways to view it too so...

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                                Great design for the ship. .NOT!
                                Sorta like a flying Vulcan IDIC.
                                Should the Vulcans feel insulted -- oh wait, they're Vulcans, they don't feel. Lucky you.

Comment

Working...
                                X