Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Tim
    how is this a bad thing ?
    everyone hates them, never read a post where they complain about B&B?
    They think the nazi aliens will return

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tim
      how is this a bad thing ?
      Probably because Berman and Braga, a.k.a. Bermaga, are the Emperor's of Suck. It was their idea to not have arc-like stories. Even though most sucessful t.v. shows nowadays have major story arcs, Bermaga decided to go with stand alones all the time since it worked for TNG back in the early 90's. The only modern day Trek that Bermaga haven't been involved with was DS9, which is arguably the best Trek series. Not to mention they're the ones who had the brilliant idea to have fricking Alien Nazi's at the end of the Xindi arc. After a year long story that was very emotional and very dark, I expected to see the crew return to Earth and get a hero's welcome. Instead I got more Temporal Cold War crap with Alien Nazi's and Bobby Baccala running around. That's what happens when Bermaga write stories. And that's why fans are getting nervous over them writing what may well be the series finale.
      MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

But people shouldn't forget that Rick Berman & Brannon Braga have contributed quite a lot to Star Trek. After all it was Rick Berman who took over from Gene Roddenberry himself back during the days of TNG, and he was involved in the creation of each of the following shows. And in my opinion Brannon Braga has written some of the best episodes on TNG and Voyager.

So, while they might have made some mistakes in the past, people certainly can't say that everything they do is bad.

I just felt someone has to defend them a little around here.
        Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by Filipino
          Last night's 'Enterprise' was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world
          Oh no, sir. That esteemed honor goes to season two's "Vanishing Point." Now THAT was bad. At least this one was watchable. At least to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel John Grant
            But people shouldn't forget that Rick Berman & Brannon Braga have contributed quite a lot to Star Trek. After all it was Rick Berman who took over from Gene Roddenberry himself back during the days of TNG, and he was involved in the creation of each of the following shows. And in my opinion Brannon Braga has written some of the best episodes on TNG and Voyager.

So, while they might have made some mistakes in the past, people certainly can't say that everything they do is bad.

back the, there wasn't the B&B union, Berman wasn't that creatively involved, and there were the talented producers like Michael Pillar, who was the showrunner on TNG for years 4 and 5.

And during TNG, Braga was just a story editor, which is the lowest function. There they could keep him under control, and he still had some fresh ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel John Grant

Personally, I think Berman taking over the Trek franchise was one of the worst things that's ever happened to Star Trek. It went from being one of the most popular top rated shows (TNG) to nothing more than a joke (ENT). And again, Berman and Braga had little to nothing to do with DS9. Braga literally had zero involvement with it, and all Berman would do is ok major storylines. Berman's involvement would be: "Ok, you can do your Dominion War. But I only want it to last two or three episodes." I'm not even kidding either, he said that to Ira Steven Behr. If Berman had had his way, the entire Dominion War would've been a two parter. I honestly can't think of a single positive thing Rick Berman has done for the Trek franchise. He's a bad writer (which can be excused since he's not even a writer, he just wishes he was), and he makes horrible decisions. He's good at getting money out of Paramount, but that's about it.

As for Braga, he's more complicated. I agree with you about him writing some pretty good episodes. A lot of my all time favorite Trek episodes were written by him. But when it's him PLUS Berman, bad things happen. If Berman would just leave Braga alone, Braga would probably be a good thing for Trek. But as it is, he's tainted by the suckitude that is Berman. And that in turn makes Braga suck, albeit to a far lesser degree than Berman.
              MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by shockwave
                everyone hates them, never read a post where they complain about B&B?
                They think the nazi aliens will return
                but still Enterprise would end, who cares who writes it.
                http://bickenland.lonaf.com/phpBB2/index.php

This is a sig, have a nice day.

Comment

My problem with Bermaga is that they have been doing this for 15 years. They are set in their really stupid ways.
                  Now this is a minor point but it is so idiotic that I don't understand it. During TNG the Federation is the most powerful group aound so I can sort of believe their attitude about not borrowing/stealing whatever you want to call it alien technology. The same attitude still existed though in Voyager which clearly could have used some new weapons and things like that. But in Enterprise the Federation's ships clearly suck yet the humans are still to stuck up to incorporate technology they come across.
                  Now the real reason is that Bermaga is too lazy to come up with new ideas themselves and too stuck up to use someone else's. Move Bermaga out of the ST franchise (when it comes back in 10 years) and then it will work. But recycling unused TNG plots to Voyager and unused Voyager plots to Enterpise is annoying and stupid. They shows are supposed to seem different. Also higher some actual actors and get rid of the TnA aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                    And again, Berman and Braga had little to nothing to do with DS9. Braga literally had zero involvement with it, and all Berman would do is ok major storylines. Berman's involvement would be: "Ok, you can do your Dominion War. But I only want it to last two or three episodes." I'm not even kidding either, he said that to Ira Steven Behr. If Berman had had his way, the entire Dominion War would've been a two parter.
                    Yeah, I fully agree with you on that. DS9 is one of my all time favorites, and that credit goes to Ira Steven Behr, who's one of my heros. What he did with that show was simply great; the storylines, the character development, and everything around it. I think if he'd come back to Star Trek things would be a lot different. It would be really cool if he had come back after DS9. He and Ronald D. Moore, who is now in charge of Battlestar Galactica, which is also great. So, you see his talent...

Well, I guess in terms of writing Berman & Braga might not be the best combination. And Braga has written some of the best episodes either by himself during TNG, or during Voyager when he was co-writing with Joe Menosky. And Rick Berman has hardly written any episodes himself before Enterprise. I think he's a good producer, but in terms of writing it works best when others are in charge of that. Again, like it was on DS9.

So, I'm certainly not saying that what they've been doing is perfect; after all I personally think Season 4 of Enterprise is still the best so far (let's call "Daedalus" an exeption ), and they haven't been too much involved this season. They just should start to get it right again. Braga should be writing episodes in the quality he used to, and Berman should focus more on production than writing. Although I did like the two episodes he wrote for TNG.

I just felt it was neseccary to point out that not everything they've done has been bad. I must say I actually also like some of the episodes they've written for Enterprise. Especially during the first season.

By the way, has anyone actually heard anything new about that new non-Star Trek show they were developing? I heard it might premiere this fall, but that was quite a while ago. I was wondering if there's any new information on that...
                    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 20 January 2005, 09:34 PM.
                    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Working...
                    X