No announcement yet.

Star Trek X1 -Open Discussion for those who have seen the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son just returned from seeing the movie, and his reaction....thoroughly unimpressed.

Comment

This movie was everything I had hoped for, and more. I did not walk away disappointed one bit. To tell you the truth, I am still processing everything, considering I just got home a little while ago from the theater.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Sela View Post
        The whole alternate universe / timeline stopped the Trek fanatic in me cold. It was the ultimate handwave. When he introduced that angle, he was freed to do whatever he wanted. Smart move.
        Exactly. I was frankly amazed that Abrams could make a new Trek, without changing the fabric of the old series and without being restrained by it.

I totally approve. In fact, since seeing the movie this morning I have been making favorable comparisons with TOS....like this

Spoiler:
        Kirk seemed more impulsive, more cynical... well of course..in the altered timeline, he grew up without his father. The very fact of the future ship could have changed dozens, if not thousands of events. As a result, we can have new Trek.......

Comment

It really wasn't Star Trek. The whole time travel thing really screwed things up. They really focused on making the new movie cool but they seemed to have ignored a lot of stuff. Nero was not a well developed villain. There was really no reason to make him a Romulan, he could have been a Klingon or a Cardassian or just about any race in Star Trek. Romulans are known for their treachery and cunning but they didn't display any of those traits in the movie. There were quite a few plot problems.

However, it was an entertaining movie. This is definitely a great movie for people who don't know much about Star Trek. I really like the new cast. The action is great. It was also surprisingly funny. The Vulcan bullies were great. I wonder what happened the other 35 times they harassed Spock. Maybe he had some come backs prepared.

Well, yo mama's so fat, it took a stellar cartographer to measure the distance between her ass cheeks.
          Well, yo mama's so stupid, Starfleet calls the space between her ears "the final frontier."
          Well, yo mama's so ugly, her face can stop Tribbles from breeding.
          Well, yo mama's so slutty, she has a sign that says "where every man has boldly gone before."

Comment

Time changed before vulcan was destroyed. Starfleet knew of romulus an its people and the cardassians.

sigpic

Comment

Spock already knew that the Romulans and Vulcans were the same race but they weren't supposed to find that out until "Balance of Terror." Also, first contact between the Cardassians and the Federation happened in the 24th century and it led to their first war.

Comment

I guess the crew of the Relativity http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Relativity_(episode)) must have been on Risa when this happend?

Or wasnt this a big enough 'temporal incursion' for the temporal police to bother with?

Edit:- Just noticed others said the same thing

Comment

So basically Spock disappeared from the main universe around the time of the Dominion war... Romulas was apparently destroyed in this timeframe.

I am concerned about the loss of so many Starfleet crew in the movie, it means some long term Starfleet families... of which some main characters of the franchise belong... effectively ended prematurely.

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
                    So basically Spock disappeared from the main universe around the time of the Dominion war... Romulas was apparently destroyed in this timeframe.

I am concerned about the loss of so many Starfleet crew in the movie, it means some long term Starfleet families... of which some main characters of the franchise belong... effectively ended prematurely.
                    I'm not completely sure but i thought spock and nero were from around a few years after the events of nemisis that would make sense wouldnt it

the first half an hour really hated it but when you see the enterprise for the first it got good, and all the nitpicks were explained away by the whole time thing

as far as i understand the j j abrams approach to time travel this wasnt in the past because it is old spocks present, so the events of the 5 series and 10 films are in the past so anywhere from here is where no man has gone before

i was expecting the destruction of nero's ship and that red matter stuff would destroy the alternate universe but in a way i guess that would have been annoying, so expect more films in this new reality i guess, seeing a federation without vulcan is going to be interesting, i still havent fully comprehended that vulcan gone, are there any figures for how many vulcans lived ofworld at the time

spock/uhura was just weird

i think nero did need to be romulan, guess this is a bit racist/speciesist but of all the trek races romulans are the only ones i could see who are mentally unstable enough to go insane and blame the man who tried to save their world for what happened and use that to justify planning to commit genocide on at least 100 races

Comment

The 10,000 that escape the planet.
                      I am guesting the off world figure would be high enough that they are not exactly a in danger species. but that what they are according to old spock.

consider theses writers they probably just added that for effect rather thinking what the number was.
                      Last edited by knowles2; 09 May 2009, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        The 10,000 that escape the planet.
                        I am guesting the off world figure would be high enough that they are not exactly a in danger species. but that what they are according to old spock.
                        was a massive shock, cant remember trek ever doing something like that before, if planets have been destroyed its usually some random planet we don't know much about but vulcan gone i just cant believe it, the nearest was the attempted genocide on cardassia prime that was around 100 million wasnt it

oh and i think everyone will enjoy this

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...star_trek_film

ive heard that people don't seem too pleased with simon pegg as scotty but i quite liked the character, reminded me a lot of david tennants doctor if he didn't put on an english accent
                        Last edited by dosed150; 09 May 2009, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Just thought I'd pop in to say that I loved this movie. When they had first talked about it I was apprehensive...very apprehensive but I was not disappointed. The character of McCoy was dead on. I wanted to cry through have the movie because the actor did it so excellently. Kirk and Spock were pretty dead on as well.

One thing bothered me personally and even though I knew it was going to happen and even though it was an alternate universe...still. My name's Amanda and when my parents named me my Dad who's a huge trekker named me after Spock's mom...
                          Spoiler:
                          and then the movie killed her off. I was so darn upset.And besides they messed with my favorite episode, 'Journey to Babel'
                          And yes I'm trying to remember that it's not our reality...but it's going to take awhile.

Anyone else get a tab bit emotional at the part in the beginning
                          Spoiler:
                          where Sarek told Spock that he married Amanda because it was logical and then after she died he said it was because he loved her.
                          that was just a great part

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                          Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                          Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

hilarious

the last bit especially the paper cutting.

Comment

meh around 10000 Vulcans got off the planet, then you got to think of all the Vulcan colonies and all the other Vulcans out there in space, they'll be fine

logic fueled population explosion methinks

Comment

there little problem the only can breed every 7 years thing. which I guest can limit population expansion just a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X