Star trek sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Not really with the exception of Birthrright. And if you have a question you know where to find me.
    Apparently outside my window?

Thanks.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

Not really with the exception of Birthrright. And if you have a question you know where to find me.
      'Birthright'? Nah....not really. I'd say 'The Maquis' is more relevant of a shared plot point than that.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        'Birthright'? Nah....not really. I'd say 'The Maquis' is more relevant of a shared plot point than that.
        Your right. I forgot about the Maquis storyline but that is why she should probably watch TNG first. The Maquis are more of a DS9 plot and only appear once in TNG
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Voyager can really be watched completely on it's own. Same with Enterprise. TNG and DS9 are the only ones you have to worry about overlap with and only for the last two seasons of TNG and the first two of DS9. Basically once the crew of DS9 stop wearing the oval com badges that's when you're sure the overlap ends.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
            Uh, TOS sucked IMO. I can't stand it. The first 2 seasons of TNG are also horrible IMO, with the same low quality of storytelling that TOS had during its run (I don't care about special effects. They're irrelevant for the most part). I like everything after that second season of TNG, but nothing before that point.

So saying "if you don't like TOS you won't like trek" is a boldfaced fallacy. I'd go so far as to say that *most* trekkies dislike TOS.... except the old ones who grew up with it.
            100% disagree. Few Trek sites I frequent (and I'm a big enough fan to visit a few) have many people on them that have anything but respect for TOS. There's a reason they only made TOS and TNG movies, because they're the most popular in the general public. DS9 is very popular (and for good reason, awesome show) among sci-fi circles, but it never had the ratings success TOS or TNG did (or the public exposure these two shows continue to have). This is to take nothing away from the other Trek series and it doesn't mean you have to think TOS is the best or even good, but there's a reason they went back and made a new movie based off the original characters from the original Star Trek and not on Voyager or something.

As far as the stories sucking... well, you must not like much sci-fi because most of the stories that were used in any American sci-fi show were used by TOS first. The characters remain as fresh and appealing as they've ever been imo, the witty banter between Spock and McCoy is great to watch.

As far as recommendations when the OP is ready to watch some Trek... I'd recommend you start at the beginning. If you don't like the original because of the effects or some clunker episodes or something, try watching some of the remastered versions of the most recommended episodes. If you STILL don't like it, you can go on to TNG (starts slow, but is a fantastic show), and if you don't like that (or if you finish it) then DS9 is a great choice and would come next in line. I liked Voyager and Enterprise as well, but I wouldn't watch them before seeing the other three series. I'd say you can try the movies at any time as well. If you run out of things to watch there's even an animated series.

Hope you get around to watching and enjoying at least part of the Trek franchise. It's great fun.
            "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
            "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Personally I do not think it matter, most of them are standalone episodes.

EXcept enterprise season 3 which needs to be watch in order.

And obviously the two parters, but the rest I do not think it really matter. At most you may miss a minor plot point but nothing would ruin a episode.

As to which series it start off with it does not matter really. But personally I woud start of STNG as it more modern and the SFX still holds up well today. Plus I generally like the stories better than TOS and the acting.
              Last edited by knowles2; 21 July 2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Finally VOY only makes a few references to DS9 and none to TNG. So basically the three shows despite being in the same time area are kept separate
                Actually Voyager has more references to TNG than DS9 ever did, But its more the crew than the ship even though it has been mentioned.

It was mentioned in atleast the following capacities:
                1)Data was mentioned when asked if starfleet had ever encountered androids
                2)A qoute from Picard was read out by janeway when she was researching the Borg
                3)Seven of nine mentioned the first contact incident when tores and Kim were in a turbo lift playing a game
                4)Janeway mentioned Locutus of Borg which is another persona of Picard to request a representative (Seven) of the borg.
                5) Geordi laforge commanded a galaxy class starship in a voyager episode (Not enterprise but still a TNG reference)
                6)Reg barclay played a critical role in getting contact with voyager
                7)In several reg episodes the enterprise was mentioned along with crew members and appearances by Riker, Troi, Geordi, and crusher
                8) Boothby the groundskeeper of starfleet academy was mentioned in both voyager and TNG
                9) 2 Ferengi trapped in the delta quadrant by the Enterprise D were found by Voyager
                10) I beleive admiral Paris has been mentioned in TNG a few times as he was mentioned atleast once in DS9
                11)Q has multiple appearances in TNG and Voy and a single appearance in DS9
                Those are off the top of my head and yet I can still think of more. Also 2 main characters from DS9 started on TNG Miles obrien and Worf. Also the first episode featured the Ent D twice.

Those are off the top of my head.
                if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  EXcept enterprise season 3 which needs to be watch in order.
                  Along with pretty much all of DS9.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                  X