Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star trek sequence

Hi.
    Because of break in Star Gate, I am decided to start watching Star Trek.
    And I wanted to know, if I need to watch all shows, and in what sequence?

Does they all ar connected somehow?
    Sorry for my english. It is not my first lang.sigpic

I would suggest watching them in the order they were produced. The original (TOS) doesn't really have much connection to the others (apart from the episode The Trouble With Tribbles which was recycled as a part of the DS9 episode Trials and Tribble-ations), so you may want to start with The Next Generation (TNG), then Deep Space Nine (DS9), Voyager (VOY) and Enterprise (ENT). If you decide to watch ENT before TOS, you won't notice the way ENT breaks established Trek canon and may be better able to judge ENT on its own merits.

TOS is dated and shows its age. It's a good show if you like Trek anyway, but if you're only getting into it, I'm not convinced it's the best show to start with. Or even if you start with TOS and think it's dated and possibly not for you, I hope you'll give the other shows a chance before deciding you don't like Trek.
    sigpic

Comment

I'd start with Deep Space 9 personally. If you've never seen any Trek before then Enterprise actually isn't a bad place to start either (some would say *especially* if you've never seen any Trek before).

Comment

Watch them in the order they were produced. In for a penny, in for a pound. If you hate TOS, then you'll probably dislike the rest of Trek.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Ok. Thank you all.

But I decided to start watching BSG, cause friend gave me first season DVD, and maybe later, but thank you a lot for answers.
          Sorry for my english. It is not my first lang.sigpic

Comment

Honestly, TOS is the benchmark by which all sci-fi should be measured. Its stories and characters are simply timeless, and if people are getting hung up on cheap sets/dated FX, they're really missing the point.

Absolutely, watch the series in the order they were produced: TOS --> TNG --> DS9. Unless you really love TOS, don't bother with the animated series as its canonicity is questionable. And I have to heartily recommend not watching voyager or enterprise. Others here will disagree, but as far as I'm concerned they're just bottom of the barrel 'entertainment' (and even that is being generous).

Originally posted by scarys View Post
            But I decided to start watching BSG, cause friend gave me first season DVD, and maybe later, but thank you a lot for answers.
            This is also a great choice. Enjoy it while it lasts, it's only four seasons But a hell of a four seasons
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              And I have to heartily recommend not watching voyager or enterprise. Others here will disagree, but as far as I'm concerned they're just bottom of the barrel 'entertainment' (and even that is being generous).
              I find Voyager and Enterprise to be just as good as other Trek shows, getting into the same space battles, the same ethical problems and the same wonderful Trekness. IMO, of course.
              To each his/her own. Watch for yourself. Besides, once you've gotten through TOS or TNG, you'll definitely know if you want to watch the others.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

TNG, DS9 Seasons 1-3, and Voyager Seasons 1-2 are Trek's Golden Age, IMO. There was no better time to be a trekker/trekie. DS9 went on to some great things after a frightfully dull seasons 4 and 5 only to explode back to life in Season 5's finale "Call to Arms." Though, there were high points in Seasons 4 & 5, but the back half of 7 kinda pittered out, IMO. Voyager started a slow death after Season 3, again surprising me every now and again in later seasons.

Enterprise hurt to watch. The way it trounced what had gone before it, shunned its lineage (in the beginning it wouldn't even take on the name "Star Trek" until its ratings bombed so badly that it came crawling back). IMO, only when it returned to its roots (season 4) did it start to become a strong edition to the franchise. Again, several episodes in all 4 seasons surprised me, but on the whole, I would be very angry and upset after watching the show, which was why I stopped watching in Season 3. Only after I bought the DVDs (at half off) did I see Season 4, which began to show me the promise of the show. IMO, the entire prequel premise could have been done so much better.

TOS started it all, and it is, in every sense of the term, epic. By that, I mean, that it defined several aspects of the sci-fi genre and brazenly burned new trails that just about every sci-fi series since has followed in. If you try watching it, and can't stand the cheesy special effects, I heartily recommend the remastered versions. "The Doomsday Machine" is just breathtaking to watch.

Comment

I would start with TNG personally, but that's just me. I need to get the BSG DVD's and get through those, I feel out of the loop.
                  sigpic

Comment

Uh, TOS sucked IMO. I can't stand it. The first 2 seasons of TNG are also horrible IMO, with the same low quality of storytelling that TOS had during its run (I don't care about special effects. They're irrelevant for the most part). I like everything after that second season of TNG, but nothing before that point.

So saying "if you don't like TOS you won't like trek" is a boldfaced fallacy. I'd go so far as to say that *most* trekkies dislike TOS.... except the old ones who grew up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                      I'd go so far as to say that *most* trekkies dislike TOS.... except the old ones who grew up with it.
                      And I'd call that boldfaced hyperbole--a fallacy, if you will. I grew up in the TNG/DS9 era, but TOS is sci-fi gold. Excepting obvious series like The Simpsons that's on in almost every single timeslot from when I get home from work till when I go to bed, I can't think of any other series I've seen this many times--and will continue to watch whenever it's on my TV.

Hell I'm even in the process of rewatching it all because of the Blu-ray release. Though having recently bought Mass Effect, I'm having some trouble focusing on one or the other steadily because I want to do both so badly.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Hmm. I've seen all of TOS, and the first couple of seasons of TNG, as well as other random episodes here and there. I was planning to watch all the way through cronologically (probably not ENT though), but I got sidetracked after the second season of TNG, and have never gotten back to it.

Don't TNG, DS9, and VOY occur approximately around the same time period though? How do you handle the overlap?
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                        sigpic

Comment

DS9 tends to keep to itself and only makes a few minor references to TNG and I can't recall any references to VOY. Same applies TNG it occasionally mentions DS9 but nothing major except Birthright which is a crossover but its pretty minor. The only major reference DS9 makes TNG is that it mentions the time the Borg attacked in the Star Trek:First Contact (movie). Finally VOY only makes a few references to DS9 and none to TNG. So basically the three shows despite being in the same time area are kept separate
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

So no need to watch simultaneously? 'Cause that could get complicated.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                            sigpic

Comment

Not really with the exception of Birthrright. And if you have a question you know where to find me.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X