Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
    I'm not too picky about the NX-01 aesthetics looking more advanced then the NCC-1701- so long as the tec itself fits the time period. I love Ent.

The Defiant from "In a Mirror Darkly" was a beautiful ship.
    But the technology isn't right.

Holodeck Technology
    Holodecks are in no way present or even alluded to in TOS. In the early episodes of TNG, the characters reacted with amazement and astonishment when they first went into the holodecks--clearly, it was a brand-new technology that none of them were familiar with.

Enterprise's episode "Unexpected" makes the painfully obvious implication that the aliens with the holodeck technology would share it with both the Klingons and the Humans. Where did this newly acquired technolgy go for the next 200 years?

Subspace Communications
    The TOS episode "A Piece of the Action", which takes place in 2268, has Kirk clearly state "We received a report 100 years late because it was sent by conventional radio. Your system is on the outer reaches of the galaxy. They didn't have subspace communication in those days." This makes clear that subspace was not in common use until around 2168.

Enterprise's "Silent Enemy" contradicts this. In it, they are deploying and making use of subspace radio--in 2151, nearly 20 years off of Kirk's century estimate.

Intraship Transporting
    There is a line in the TOS episode "Day of the Dove" where it is stated, "It has rarely been done because of the danger involved. Pinpoint accuracy is required. If the transporter should materialize inside a solid object, a deck or wall..."

Allegedly, a century before in the Enterprise episode "Chosen Realm", Archer uses a far more primitive transporter with no mention of danger to do exactly that--intraship transport.

Phasers
    Should not have existed in Enterprise, plain and simple. In the TOS episode "The Cage", Captain Pike and crew use lasers. Once TOS proper started, they began using phasers--an obvious upgrade in technology. Even TNG, via Worf ("A Matter of Time"), makes it clear that there were no phasers in the 22nd century.

In spite of this, ENT's handheld weapons are "phase pistols". Quite obviously, a phaser with a pistol grip.

Atomic Weapons
    Continuing on the weapons issue, Enterprise's weapons are flat-out wrong. According to the TOS classic "Balance of Terror", the war between Earth and the Romulans was waged with atomic weapons.

Yet in Enterprise, the ship is equipped with "phase cannons" (hello phasers) and photon torpedoes. Why on Earth would they fight with atomic weapons if they had these vastly superior technologies at their disposal? Answer: they wouldn't. Enterprise is wrong.

Cloaking Devices
    The Enterprise episode "Minefield" shows that the Romulans possess cloaking technology. As well as the numerous encounters with other races in possession of cloak technology and even the capture of a Suliban cloaking pod.

The TOS episode "Balance of Terror" makes it quite clear that they've never even conceived of such a device. Spock's exact line is "Invisibility is theoretically possible, Captain — selectively bending light. But the power cost is enormous. They may have solved that." This would not have come as a shock if indeed humanity was familiar with cloaking technology from a full century before.

And none of these even make any mention of the numerous PLOT continuity problems that Enterprise created. Continuity alone is enough reason to ignore the existence of Enterprise.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And this kind of nit-pickyness is one of the reasons new Trek is no longer on the air.....

Comment

"Nit-pickyness"? Whatever dude. I'm sure you'd be okay with it if suddenly SG-A's writing stuff suddenly decided that Atlantis doesn't and never did have a shield. Or that the Goa'uld were not parasitical snakes at all, and were something else entirely.

Expecting accuracy to established stories is not "nit-pickyness". It's expecting the writing staff not to be incompetent. And quite frankly, if Nemesis, Voyager, and Enterprise are what "Trek" have become, I'm glad it's off the air.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Nit-pickyness?
          sigpic
          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
            "Nit-pickyness"? Whatever dude. I'm sure you'd be okay with it if suddenly SG-A's writing stuff suddenly decided that Atlantis doesn't and never did have a shield. Or that the Goa'uld were not parasitical snakes at all, and were something else entirely.

Expecting accuracy to established stories is not "nit-pickyness". It's expecting the writing staff not to be incompetent. And quite frankly, if Nemesis, Voyager, and Enterprise are what "Trek" have become, I'm glad it's off the air.
            We're talking about consistancy of two separate shows with nearly fourty years between them- what do expect the NX-01 to be made of? Toothpicks? If they went by the standards you're setting they would seem to primitive in comparison to today's standard of technology. It wouldn't make sense with reality. The accuracy you seem to expect is so precise it would give any writer a headache. Enterprise aligns accuratly with 95% of canon. And that's pretty damn good for a show that had six hundred other episodes and ten movies to cross-reference with to make sure nothing major was inconsistant. Calling any writing staff that undertakes such an enourmous task "incompetant" is an insult.

Comment

We're talking about consistancy of two separate shows with nearly fourty years between them- what do expect the NX-01 to be made of? Toothpicks? If they went by the standards you're setting they would seem to primitive in comparison to today's standard of technology. It wouldn't make sense with reality. The accuracy you seem to expect is so precise it would give any writer a headache. Enterprise aligns accuratly with 95% of canon. And that's pretty damn good for a show that had six hundred other episodes and ten movies to cross-reference with to make sure nothing major was inconsistant. Calling any writing staff that undertakes such an enourmous task "incompetant" is an insult.
              Hey, they knew what they were getting into when they decided to make a prequel show. They knew that they had 40 years of established Star Trek Universe History to adhere to. And if they weren't up to the job--which they clearly weren't--they shouldn't have started it in the first place. Even if I set aside all the continuity issues with other Treks and just focus on the stories I'd still be justified in calling them incompetent. Drama, character development, involvement of secondary characters (who was the African-American dude again?), what are those? And hello there giant reset button.

Comment

Hey, they knew what they were getting into when they decided to make a prequel show. They knew that they had 40 years of established Star Trek Universe History to adhere to. And if they weren't up to the job--which they clearly weren't--they shouldn't have started it in the first place. Even if I set aside all the continuity issues with other Treks and just focus on the stories I'd still be justified in calling them incompetent. Drama, character development, involvement of secondary characters (who was the African-American dude again?), what are those? And hello there giant reset button.
                What else were they going to do? More 24th century stuff? Trek needed to regress back in time a bit- we wanted to see the forming of the federation (which we didn't see properly as the show ended too early), we wanted to see life before Kirk's time, and we got to, which I think was great. Who cares about perfection, in the end it's one show and as long as the show makes sense within itself, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Again I say that trying to make everyhting fit in perfectly with a show from the sixties is set at an earlier time date is too much to ask. They got all the imporatnt stuff right, the tiny little details are redundant.

And what you mentioned about the holotechnology, the Xyrillians didn't actually give it to them, Trip just saw it. He didn't learn how it worked or anything, so it fits with canon.

Enterprise had great stories- the Temporal Cold War, The season three arc, the Vulcan/Andorian arc, Shuttlepod One, Dear Doctor, Shockwave, Future Tense, there are plenty of great stories within Ent., but if you're busy picking the show apart you might not notice them.
                Don't forget that Enterprise ended before it should have- Hoshi and Travis were starting to get more attention in season four but the show got the axe far too soon.

Comment

*snip*
                  Oh here we go again.

I much prefer to ignore the MISTAKES of BOTH SHOWS and enjoy them both.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                    Oh here we go again.

I much prefer to ignore the MISTAKES of BOTH SHOWS and enjoy them both.
                    yeah same here.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mckaychick
                      yeah same here.
                      Yup.....half of the "mistakes" tend to make the show better anyway.

Comment

For me the mistakes writers may have made were good decisions to make, because ultimately it is the creativity of the writing, directors and actors that make the shows so fun to watch. ENT was a great show with really great character and great actors and it ended way too prematuely.
                        It would be great if they could make it all fit and if there had been the vision some forty years ago that Star Trek would go on as long as it has, ENT would have been different, so would have TNG and D9.
                        Having followed the Original, I really found the way ENT found creative ways to tie up lose ends from the Original more than compensates for any technical gliches in the timelines, technology, etc.
                        sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

sure do.
                          sigpic

Comment

I have to admit, i wasn't a fan of Enterprise, but it is actually not bad when you sit down and watch it... Course, some is just too cheesy. "Until someone tells me what i'm supposed to do out here, some..."directive"" Yeah, subtle. Very subtle. We all knew what he was talking about, why ruin it??

Course, like folk have mentioned the NX-01 being completely beyond the NCC-1701 is a bit annoying. If you exclude you can see the clear evolution of the flagship of Starfleet from constitution through Ambassador, Excelsior, (or is it Excelsior, to ambassador? I can never remember!) to Galaxy and Sovereign. Throw in the NX-01 and it throws all that out the window.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk
                              For me the mistakes writers may have made were good decisions to make, because ultimately it is the creativity of the writing, directors and actors that make the shows so fun to watch. ENT was a great show with really great character and great actors and it ended way too prematuely.
                              It would be great if they could make it all fit and if there had been the vision some forty years ago that Star Trek would go on as long as it has, ENT would have been different, so would have TNG and D9.
                              Having followed the Original, I really found the way ENT found creative ways to tie up lose ends from the Original more than compensates for any technical gliches in the timelines, technology, etc.
                              And it's just too redundant to keep cross referencing episode, after episode, after episode just to make sure one line doesn't throw everything out of loop. I'd rather the writers spend their time making the best script they can rather then ensuring that it sits up all cozy with all the dozen other episodes that it may remotly relate to.

I was reading a Manny Coto interview quite awile ago where he was mentioning some of the stories that would have been done had Enterprise gone on another season- they included a two parter about the Cloud City from TOS's "The Cloud Minders" and an episode with the building of the first Starbase called "Starbase One", talk of Shran becoming a full time character in season five and I can't remember what else but there were some great ideas in there, that now we'll never see.....

Comment

That's the problem with prequels. Everything you do has to be scrutinised to make sure it falls in line with 200+ years of history while still making entertaining shows that we want to see. Course, re-writing first contacts isn't necessarily the way to do that...

I read somewhere that "It could be argued that any differences in Enterprise and the other shows are a result of the Temporal Cold War"...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Working...
                                X