No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah was one of the 2nd Fleet Akira class ships destroyed in the finale battle?

I should pop over to Ex Astris scientia website to get the full and complete rundown of all the known ships both warp and non warp capable ever seen/mentioned in the entirety of Startrek and look under Akira class to see the list of names for that class..........i will go now and look
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Here is the list of all known Akira class ships from the site

USS Akira NCC-62497
      (Name unknown) NCC-63646
      USS Rabin NCC-63293
      USS Spector NCC-65549
      USS Thunderchild NCC-63549

and the specs:

class specifications
      Heavy cruiser
      Length: approx. 440m
      First commissioned in 2365
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

AKIRA CLASS SHIPS

The Akira-class heavy cruiser was an advanced Federation starship used by Starfleet. Akira-class starships featured prominently in the 2373 Borg attack on Earth and in the Dominion War.

An unusual feature of the Akira-class was the shuttlebay arrangements. There were two large shuttlebays in the saucer section, one at the forward edge of the saucer section and one at the rear.

CGI designer Alex Jaeger said that the logic behind this was that departing shuttles would leave out the front bay, and return in the aft bay.
        Several Akira-class starships were being constructed at Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards in 2371. (VOY: "Relativity")

The Akira-class was involved in most of the major battles of the Dominion War. In 2374, they saw action during Operation Return and the First Battle of Chin'toka, where at least one ship of the class was destroyed by an orbital weapon platform. In 2375, they were involved in the Second Battle of Chin'toka and the Battle of Cardassia. (DS9: "Sacrifice of Angels", "Tears of the Prophets", "The Changing Face of Evil", "What You Leave Behind")

Several Akira-class ships were often stationed near Deep Space 9. (DS9: "The Magnificent Ferengi", "Afterimage")

Background
        The Akira-class was designed by Alex Jaeger of ILM in 1996 for the movie First Contact. The ship currently only exists as a computer model. The Akira is most notable as an inspiration for the design of the Enterprise (NX-01), the central ship of the fifth Star Trek series, of the same name.

It was named after the Japanese animated film Akira, although some have speculated that it would be named after something else named Akira in the Star Trek universe. The name "Akira" could mean "light," "bright," "morning sun," or over 40 other meanings in Japanese, depending on the characters chosen for its writing. "Akira" and "Hikaru" (which was used for the name of Hikaru Sulu) can be written with the same Japanese character.

The Akira-class starship is one of the more controversial ships that has appeared on Star Trek. Originally appearing in First Contact, the design caught the attention of eagle-eyed fans studying the fleeting images of the USS Thunderchild's attack on the Borg cube. Despite its impressive appearance, though, some incongruities leave room for heated debate.

A design sketch of the USS Akira shows the vessel bearing the registry NCC-2497. The Star Trek: Fact Files just added a 6 to this registry.

Technical information on this ship comes from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual. While not canon, that work is a Memory Alpha permitted resource.

Registry Number
        The first issue in question is the ship's registry number. The most visible representative of the class, the USS Thunderchild, had a registry of NCC-63549 and a noticeable appearance more in line with later ships like the Intrepid-class and the Sovereign-class. To those fans who believe in chronological assignment of registries, the Thunderchild's low number requires some explanation, since it would put the design somewhere around the time of the Nebula-class and before the Galaxy-class.

Armament
        The second issue is the class's armament. Designer Alex Jaeger stated in a Star Trek: The Magazine interview that he created the Akira as a sort of "carrier/gunship," armed with an astounding 15 photon torpedo launchers:

"This was my gunship/battlecruiser/aircraft carrier. It has 15 torpedo launchers and two shuttlebays - one in front, with three doors, and one in the back. I really got into it with this one, with the whole idea that the front bay would be the launching bay, and then to return they'd come into the back, because they'd be protected by the rest of the ship."
        - Alex Jaeger (designer), Star Trek: The Magazine, Issue 2 (July 1999), page 48, "Designing the Akira Class"
        For many starship buffs, that figure is simply too large to be credible when considered alongside other Starfleet ships. However, the Sovereign-class USS Enterprise was upgraded for the film Star Trek Nemesis to hold twelve torpedo launchers, which gives credence to the fifteen launchers of the Akira-class. Also, a look at the hull and design drawings do show at least 11. (see: Talk page)

The Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual documents a figure of two photon torpedo launchers, however, although this makes the ship at its length less heavily armed than many ships half its size.

Length
        The third issue is the overall length of the ship.

Star Trek Encyclopedia II: 400-460m
        Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual: 464.43m
        VFX size according to a post (January 20, 1998) in the newsgroup alt.tv.star-trek.ds9 by David Stipes, VFX Supervisor DS9: 860' = 262.13m (Stipes' figure represents the length used when blocking shots in DS9)

Apocrypha
        The Decipher role-playing games supplement Starships lists several Akira-class starships, including USS Geronimo (NCC-62501), USS Osceola (NCC-62743), USS Black Elk (NCC-62878), USS Nez Perce (NCC-62891), USS Mateo (NCC-63002), USS Red Cloud (NCC-63306), and USS Susquehanna (NCC-63419).
        The Activision PC Game Star Trek: Bridge Commander includes the USS Devore (NCC-64088), USS Geronimo (NCC-69302), and USS Kali.
        The Activision PC Game Star Trek: Armada includes the USS Jupiter (NCC-71267) and USS Templar. The Jupiter was also a promotional card for the Star Trek card game, where it was listed as being "under the command of Captain Satelk."
        Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Dominion Wars includes the USS Singh.
        Star Trek: Away Team includes the USS Leyte Gulf (NCC-71427).
        The USS Sentinel mentioned in DS9: "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" is described as an Akira-class starship that Lt. Commander Sonya Gomez served on during the Dominion War, according to Pocket SCE: "War Stories, Book 1".
        The Millennium novel "The Fall of Terok Nor" mentions two Akira-class starships, the USS Bondar and the USS Garneau.
        The Akira-class starship USS Gryphon features heavily in the DS9 Relaunch novels.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Green for you i think says i can't give green so will have to wait.

Fifthrace is the un-ending source of information concerning Startrek!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
            Green for you i think says i can't give green so will have to wait.

Fifthrace is the un-ending source of information concerning Startrek!!!
            Thanx my friend.

The unbove mentioned Akira class ship the USS Spector was never seen in any television series but it did make an appearance in the movie First Contact.

I assumed that there only 3 Commisioned Akira class ships but in fact there were 4, the USS Spector being the 4rth. Great call brother Darkstar.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Thanks.....i do like to impress when the time calls for it

Next ship should be the ....um......Galaxy class..i wonder how many ships aside from the two i can think of now there were in the entire franchise....."Enterprise" "discovery" was it or that ship that got destroyed by the Jem'Hadar in the Gamma quadrant in season 2 or 3?

Comment

GALAXY CLASS SHIPS

Commisioned Galaxy Class Starships
                Note: I guessed all but the USS Trinculo

USS Challenger (NCC-71099)
                USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D)
                USS Galaxy (NCC-70637)
                USS Odyssey (NCC-71832)
                USS Trinculo (NCC-71867)
                USS Venture (NCC-71854)
                USS Yamato (NCC-71807)

Although not considered canon, the following Galaxy class starships have been mentioned in novels and games:

USS Allegheny (Star Trek: Armada II)
                USS Asgard (A Time to Be Born) How cool is that!
                USS Bolivar (Rogue Saucer)
                USS Breedlove (Star Trek Invasion: Time's Enemy)
                USS Challenger II (The Return)
                USS Cheyenne (NCC-75435) (Star Trek: Borg)
                USS Constitution (Double Helix: Infection; Possession)
                USS Dauntless (NCC-71879) (Star Trek: Bridge Commander) (destroyed in battle)
                USS Excalibur-A (Excalibur: Restoration et. al.)
                USS Hood (Station Rage)
                USS Idaho (The Big Game; The Long Night; [Trek Invasion: The Soldiers Of Fear])
                USS Intrepid (Crossover)
                USS Madison (The Big Game; The Long Night; Star Trek Invasion: The Soldiers Of Fear)
                USS Monitor (Star Trek: Away Team) (assimilated)
                USS Muakaikubo (Star Trek Invasion: Time's Enemy) (destroyed in battle)
                USS Oraidhe (Intellivore)
                USS Oregon (NCC-75698) (Star Trek: Armada)
                USS Potemkin (Station Rage)
                USS San Francisco (NCC-74780) (Star Trek: Bridge Commander)
                USS Trident (Gateways: Cold Wars et. al.)

Background
                The Galaxy class starship was first seen as the USS Enterprise-D. It was designed by Andrew Probert. Interiors were supervised by Herman Zimmerman in the first season of TNG and Star Trek: Generations, and Richard James for the subsequent six seasons.

When it came time to design a new starship Enterprise for The Next Generation, history did not repeat itself. Where Matt Jefferies had produced hundreds of sketches to come up with the design direction for the original Enterprise, Andrew Probert's main design work for the new Enterprise was done before his job even started.

Before the series was announced, Andrew Probert painted the below illustration of a future starship concept, strictly for his own enjoyment. When he went to work on the Paramount lot to design the new Enterprise, he brought that painting with him as inspiration and hung it on his office wall.

One day, David Gerrold came into Probert's office, saw the painting, and asked if Gene Roddenberry has seen it. Probert said he hadn't, and Gerrold immediately took it in to Roddenberry, who approved the painting's design direction on the spot. All that remained was fine-tuning and filling in the details.

Gene Roddenberry asked only for two modifications to Probert's final design. He wanted to restore the bridge to its position on the top of the saucer section and to extend the nacelles so that they had similar proportions to the original Enterprise.

Floor plan
                Final bridge design Andrew Probert made a series of drawings refining the new look for the Enterprise's bridge. An early writers' bible for the new series described the new bridge as combining "the features of ship control, briefing room, information retrieval area, and officers' wardroom. In other words, much the same kinds of things happen here as in the old bridge, but with less emphasis on the mechanics of steering the starship".

That new, less mechanistic approach can be seen in the preliminary designs featuring viewing couches and a conference table on the bridge.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

and along with the wall to wall carpets came the Galaxy class, and the infamously small "Jefferies" tubes that the ship designers never took into account nor did Jeffery when he came up with the idea but slap the name on the idea and made the EMH doctor in VOY complain becuase it was comforting to complain......a nice run down Fifth!!!

Comment

http://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/u...et/akira09.jpg

Akira class
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

and along with the wall to wall carpets came the Galaxy class, and the infamously small "Jefferies" tubes that the ship designers never took into account nor did Jeffery when he came up with the idea but slap the name on the idea and made the EMH doctor in VOY complain becuase it was comforting to complain......a nice run down Fifth!!!
                      I actually remember reading in a TNG canon novel that the Jefferies tubes were designed as such (small and narrow) to give the Galaxy class ships more room for extra levels and over-all space, which I'm sure LaForge, O'Brien and many other Starfleet engineers to curse the name Jefferies.

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                      Awesome shot of an Akira Class ship Capt.Mal!, quite unique and very cool.

You can really see how they designed and postioned the Deflector array on those Akira Class Ships with that picture so they could hide it better when in battle from being damaged, great stuff!.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

^Yes but if I was to work live and play silly alien games on a ship with small access tubes I would complain and send that complaint to the federation and the Mars ships yards to fix the idea and provide a space you can walk around in and not pull a muscle every time you go to fix the gel packs because your back is too out of shape?

Space is harsh and cold....it's true what they say about space living, it may be an endless vaccum of airless abyss but space is at a premium and spacious living is one of the few creature comforts that not the Federation nor the Romulans and definately not the Klingons aspire to entertain when living and working in space....i means the spacesuits are small enough

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                          GALAXY CLASS SHIPS

Commisioned Galaxy Class Starships
                          Note: I guessed all but the USS Trinculo

USS Challenger (NCC-71099)
                          USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D)
                          USS Galaxy (NCC-70637)
                          USS Odyssey (NCC-71832)
                          USS Trinculo (NCC-71867)
                          USS Venture (NCC-71854)
                          USS Yamato (NCC-71807)

Although not considered canon, the following Galaxy class starships have been mentioned in novels and games:

USS Allegheny (Star Trek: Armada II)
                          USS Asgard (A Time to Be Born) How cool is that!
                          USS Bolivar (Rogue Saucer)
                          USS Breedlove (Star Trek Invasion: Time's Enemy)
                          USS Challenger II (The Return)
                          USS Cheyenne (NCC-75435) (Star Trek: Borg)
                          USS Constitution (Double Helix: Infection; Possession)
                          USS Dauntless (NCC-71879) (Star Trek: Bridge Commander) (destroyed in battle)
                          USS Excalibur-A (Excalibur: Restoration et. al.)
                          USS Hood (Station Rage)
                          USS Idaho (The Big Game; The Long Night; [Trek Invasion: The Soldiers Of Fear])
                          USS Intrepid (Crossover)
                          USS Madison (The Big Game; The Long Night; Star Trek Invasion: The Soldiers Of Fear)
                          USS Monitor (Star Trek: Away Team) (assimilated)
                          USS Muakaikubo (Star Trek Invasion: Time's Enemy) (destroyed in battle)
                          USS Oraidhe (Intellivore)
                          USS Oregon (NCC-75698) (Star Trek: Armada)
                          USS Potemkin (Station Rage)
                          USS San Francisco (NCC-74780) (Star Trek: Bridge Commander)
                          USS Trident (Gateways: Cold Wars et. al.)
                          I know in Canon that very few Galaxy had been shown, like up to 10 max. It's weird, you think they would've made more. That got me thinking, what was the ship that made up the majority of the 600+ fleet at the battle of DS9 in Sacrifice of Angels? I found these pics of the Second Fleet:

and

(I recommend clicking on them for better views. especially the first. *drool*)

It's quite surprising that Excelsior and Miranda class and the odd Akira make up the majority. I know they were refitted for the war but still... mainly older ships.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                            I know in Canon that very few Galaxy had been shown, like up to 10 max. It's weird, you think they would've made more. That got me thinking, what was the ship that made up the majority of the 600+ fleet at the battle of DS9 in Sacrifice of Angels? I found these pics of the Second

It's quite surprising that Excelsior and Miranda class and the odd Akira make up the majority. I know they were refitted for the war but still... mainly older ships.
                            That's a good question brother Anubis69, those scenes were so massively full of different Starfleet ships, it's hard to tell which class dominated. I know they used everything but the kitchen sink including older class ships re-fitted for battle. As I mentioned before, Starfleet used a lot of yet to be commissioned (un-commissioned) ships that were put into battle without even being named because of the urgency the Dominion threat posed.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Its quite amazing how many older ships appeared in the DS9 battle. Of course, the battle at Wolf 359 was fought almost entirely with ancient vessels. I guess its the best way to use them though, since they're almost certainly going to be the first ships to be destroyed. I wouldn't like to be a crewmember on any of them. Put me on a Galaxy class any day!

I'd say by looking at the picture that Excelsior and Miranda are quite prominent. Especially if you look further back. It makes sense that you have the galaxy class ships at the front but they're by no means prominent throughout the entire fleet. In the second picture there also seems to be quite a few small ships which look like akira class supporting the fact that there were a lot of them in construction at the time of the dominion war.
                              Last edited by Carl; 20 September 2006, 07:12 AM.
                              //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                              Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Thanks.....i do like to impress when the time calls for it

Next ship should be the ....um......Galaxy class..i wonder how many ships aside from the two i can think of now there were in the entire franchise....."Enterprise" "discovery" was it or that ship that got destroyed by the Jem'Hadar in the Gamma quadrant in season 2 or 3?
                                In the season two finale the Odyssey was destroyed in the gamma quadrant by a Jem'Hadar suicide run as it was retreating.

That episode was on yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X