Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    Well said. And as much as I love John DeLancie and the Q character, I'm glad DS9 didn't re-visit that arc.
    I agree. But IMHO they did just the right amount of Q episodes on VOY. That being said I would have loved to have seen some kind of confrontation between Q, Janeway and the Borg Queen, whether it was at the end of the series or not.
    I think Q learned his lesson from Picard when he tried to put humanity of trial. Picard basically admitted to everything while pointing out that we as a race have advanced and gotten better - while you (Q) have done nothing but wreak havoc across multiple Galaxies. Q didn't have a moral fiber to stand on and it would have been way to hypocritical of him - just ask the Calamarain.
    Indeed.
    Yet I suspect Q has a curiousity for humanity. Even though the confrontation would seem similar to a trial...it would really be Janeway putting herself on the hot seat. If Q could make her see the true consequences of her actions...the true exploration of humanity as he illistrated to Picard, the endless possibilities of realities...

..and see if she would still make the decision she does. Even better yet what if it was young Q that did this?

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
      Indeed.
      Yet I suspect Q has a curiousity for humanity. Even though the confrontation would seem similar to a trial...it would really be Janeway putting herself on the hot seat. If Q could make her see the true consequences of her actions...the true exploration of humanity as he illistrated to Picard, the endless possibilities of realities...

..and see if she would still make the decision she does. Even better yet what if it was young Q that did this?
      Whether Q would admit it or not (which he came close a few times), he admired humanity - He saw in us, what he as a sentient being, wished he was personally, even though he acted superior while belittling us. Q definitely suffered from a projective envy syndrome, where he picks on people and races because of his own inner hatred for himself (classic Freud).

I would bet that Captain Janeway, like Picard before (and I suspect Sisko, Kirk and Archer as well) would hold there own in any kind of trial of morality that Q respectively threw at each one. Picard exposed Q for what he was - a self-hating megalomaniac that got his jollies from bullying people and races that were essentially better than him. It's no wonder the Continuum drummed him out and eventually stripped his powers.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Yet I sense Q is more now.
        Perhaps tempered. Before a Rebel now a Revolutionary..still pompus and arrogant but somethings never changed...then again somethings do.

I like Janeway but I didn't agree with many of her decisions through the seven years. I feel in feeling they accurately portrayed a human female commander but not by logic. And I do think women are capable of logic.

The female President in 24's last season was and excellent portrayal.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
          Whether Q would admit it or not (which he came close a few times), he admired humanity - He saw in us, what he as a sentient being, wished he was personally, even though he acted superior while belittling us.
          I completely agree. Even other Q's took notice of humanity and saw something good or different about us. That was probably the reason Q took and interest in us to begin with. That and the fact that he saw how far humanity, and Earth in particular, had come in just over 300 years (with the formation of the Federation). I get the feeling he didn;t like us humans doing what we were doing so he had to stick his nose in our business while trying to knock us down a rung or two.
          Yet I sense Q is more now.
          Perhaps tempered.
          Indeed. It was obvious that Q was different when he sowed up on DS9 and especially VOY. His dealings with Picard and Enterprise changed him for the better. The same could be said for Janeway and crew, they also made a noticeable impact on Sir Q. Heck he wanted Janeway to be the mother of his child (I imagine that is a very big honor in the Continuum).
          The USS Defiant Rocks!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Havent't you wondered why the Star Trek writers never put Q up against more formidable forces say like the Prophets?

I always found it intresting that the Prophets were essentially all knowing because of how they perceive time and the Q Omnipotent. I think that would have been an intresting encounter.

Comment

The Prophets can be killed by 'normal' physics. Nothing in the mortal world [as far as we know] can affect, much less kill a Q. The Q are far more powerful than the Prophets.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

But what if the objective isn't to destroy each other?
                What if Bajor was the objective.
                Already knowing what the Q would do could trump that power...and they can be harmed.

Comment

But what if the objective isn't to destroy each other?
                  What if Bajor was the objective.
                  Already knowing what the Q would do could trump that power...and they can be harmed.
                  Yes harmed... but only by other Q's.

Sisko punching him doesn't count

Comment

Q and the Continuum have come up against powerful enemies... from TOS! Well... In a non-canon format, of course.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                      Yes harmed... but only by other Q's.

Sisko punching him doesn't count
                      I think we could make allowances.
                      I wonder if a Q could be ..posessed.

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                      I know I read Q-Strike.
                      Those weren't good books by my opinion and standards. Very unintresting.
                      That's one of the books where I realized that the topic doesn't necessarily mean good story. The Maximum Warp Series was also a bit of a dud too.

Comment

I think the fact the Guinan seem not to be afraid an more than willing to challenge him seem to suggest that they can be harm and defeated by a non Q.

Has there been any novels to Guinan background and past and her true abilities which her species seem to have hidden from the federation.

Comment

That's a very good point, knowles.
                          knowledge is power.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            I think the fact the Guinan seem not to be afraid an more than willing to challenge him seem to suggest that they can be harm and defeated by a non Q.
                            I always wondered about the Guinan/Q relationship. Guinan acted very mad at Q the first time they saw each other on the Enterprise, Guinan raised her hand at Q like she had some kind of power or weapon that could affect Q judging by how scared he looked. That kind of tells you that the El-Aurian's have or had some kind of defense against the Continuum. We know that Guinan didn't have a problem with other Q's (calling some of them decent), all her angst was directed towards John DeLancie Q.

Now we know that Guinan's race was basically wiped out by the Borg forcing the remaining survivors to scatter throughout the Galaxy (Guinan was on Earth at the time). Although Guinan didn't have the hatred for the Borg like she did for Q (Maybe she knew that the Borg are what they are and they can't help themselves, where as Q could control his actions). Did Q have something to do with her planet being taken over by the Borg?.
                            The USS Defiant Rocks!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Q? Fear? Nah. I remember that as being surprise paired with disgust.

I do wonder what was with her judo stance though, whether maybe she could block or avert him from doing something to her.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think she could.
                                Q refered to her as an "imp" that's defined as a mischievous fairy.
                                Fairies do have powers.

She could remember through a change in the time line and that implies a singular presence through space and time rather than one dependent on metaphysicial seperation from time.

Comment

Working...
                                X