No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just think the idea of pre-emptive genocide is more than a little absurd, that's all

I mean even getting away from abstraction and down to in-universe talk, Section 31 was being pretty damn evil for doing it to the Founders, weren't they?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I just think the idea of pre-emptive genocide is more than a little absurd, that's all

I mean even getting away from abstraction and down to in-universe talk, Section 31 was being pretty damn evil for doing it to the Founders, weren't they?
      Yes, I guess so.

But the cost of war is only to high if the casualties are on your side, when the enemy is the one dying, it's different. Can you blame them for targeting the founders though? They are pretty ruthless and evil themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I wouldn't call when Admiral Ross reasigned Sisko a promotion. It was a assignment change but not when a promotion. It was my understanding in the military when you are promoted your rank changes.
        I don't know about that.

Command of a Space Station / Oversite of Starship Fleet Movements...

I'd say that is a promotion of position if not rank.

(Let's face it Star Trek plays funny with the rules of society. What it is or isn't probably isn't of any real consequence but it is intresting.)

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
          But it's the whole Alpha Quadrant right...?

Just seems like a simple solution to end the war, and politics/religion is what's holding it back from stopping?

Political implications over millions of lives/hundreds of worlds?

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't care about what the Bajorans want at this point. Their "Holy Grail" is not worth it.

It may sound a little harsh, but the Bajorans themselves are not worth the war... what do they really offer anyways?
          I don't think they would ever commit genocide to win a war, they would be no better than the founders if they done that. To wipe out an entire alien race to win a war? What would be the point of winning then if we resorted to that *shrugs*
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
            I don't know about that.

(Let's face it Star Trek plays funny with the rules of society. What it is or isn't probably isn't of any real consequence but it is intresting.)
            Unless stated in canon otherwise all I can do is compare Star Fleet to modern miltary. Just because an assignment carries more weight or prestigue doesn't mean its a promotion. If a Colonel commands a base and then gets transfered to a position of the Pentagon its just a reassignment until he is given those stars
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Overall, I think DS9 did have the best writing of all ther series. The whole Dominion Arc was brilliant. I'm curious what Enterprise would have done if it had had three more seasons under Manny Coto. If it kept up the quality of season 4, it could have given DS9 a run for its money I think.

Comment

I don't know about that.

That was definietly a promotion. I just watched the episode Behind the Lines a few weeks ago - Sisko was promoted to Adjutant for Vice Admiral William Ross at Starbase 375. Adm. Ross definitely calls it a promotion and even holds a short ceremony for the occasion. Now of course Sisko didn't want to go because he didn't want to leave his crew and Deep Space Nine itself, he felt like he was getting off easy. But he had no choice and in the end it turned out to be the right move.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Rebel View Post
                  Overall, I think DS9 did have the best writing of all ther series. The whole Dominion Arc was brilliant. I'm curious what Enterprise would have done if it had had three more seasons under Manny Coto. If it kept up the quality of season 4, it could have given DS9 a run for its money I think.
                  Hi ya Col. Rebel, welcome to the superior thread and wholeheartedly agree with your assessment about DS9 having the best writing. I would'nt call myself a big ENT fan, but I do own all season on DVD Box Sets. IMO Manny Coto had the series going in the right driection in season 4, and if you read the plans they had for season 5 (like Shran joining the Enterprises crew), it did sound like the show was going to get much better.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    I agree. Destroying the worm-hole is no option. Starfleet's idea of mining the direct exit of the worm-hole was brilliant and worked until the Cardassians took it down. Besides Sisko and Bajor itself, never would have allowed the destruction of the Prophets to happen, you just can't kill an entire race or species to save your own butt. Plus, it was the Prophets (thanks to Sisko's pleading) that saved our butts by stopping the huge Jem"Hadar force from coming through the worm-hole.

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                    Oh heck yes. Section 31 was no better than the Dominion themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                      I agree. Destroying the worm-hole is no option. Starfleet's idea of mining the direct exit of the worm-hole was brilliant and worked until the Cardassians took it down. Besides Sisko and Bajor itself, never would have allowed the destruction of the Prophets to happen, you just can't kill an entire race or species to save your own butt. Plus, it was the Prophets (thanks to Sisko's pleading) that saved our butts by stopping the huge Jem"Hadar force from coming through the worm-hole.

Oh heck yes. Section 31 was no better than the Dominion themselves.
                      I agree too. Destroying an innocent species in the course of your war with someone else is just asking for trouble. And as for destroying the wormhole, which is in Bajoran territory... Actually, the whole thing reminds me of the Schlieffen Plan at the start of World War I, when Germany tried to invade France by attacking though Belgium, thinking that A) it was only a wee country and would fall really easily, and B) who cares about the Belgians anyway? Big mistake...

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post

as for DuKat....he is a classic sociopath.... pure evil!
                        I don't think so. A sociopath is a person who does what he wants regardless of other people or society taboos, hurts people, etc. Dukat is anything but that.

The things he did had a reason. Granted, it might not be a reason we'd easily accept, but it made perfect sense from his own point of view - and it wasn;t the "I want" one. He had no trouble torturing and killing countless Bajorans because, well, in his view of the world that's okay. they're not Cardassians, they don't deserve the rights of Cardassians, and their lives are worthless. That's not bveing a sociopath,t hat's being educated like a Cardassian.

In things that are not connected to Bajorans, he acted qutie differently. Loom at Zyal (grrr, spelling). He had two very conflicting taboos and rules of society, the family man vs. her being half Bajoran. In the end the family won. He paid a HUGE price because of her and still he loved her and was proud of her and was willing to pay the price, which was more or less his political ambitions being destroyed. Yes, they fell out in the end but that also was a family matter - his issues with Garak. She didn't act the way he expects family to act, and that was what ruined it for him. And still he grieved her, even after all that, to the point of becoming mad with grief. A sociopath - or a man of pure evil, whatever that means, I don't think I know - wouldn't've, but would have jsut shrugged and moved on.

Also, there was the period he was willing to be a rebel and an outcast. Instead of keeping there with the new administration, which would defintiely had been safer for himself and his ambitions, he chose to gamble everything and throw away his position with the hope of freeing his home land from the evil occupying opressors. That's, hell, that's almost noble.

Yes, he dehumanised Bajorans. but all that means is tjat he was a good specimen of his homeworld's education system and acted liek what was considered a good Cardassians. Humans do that very often. Evil would b quite mucked about if everyone who did it in the real world would have been considered pure evil. The kind of mucked about that loses the meaning fo the word in the first place.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                          That was definietly a promotion. I just watched the episode Behind the Lines a few weeks ago - Sisko was promoted to Adjutant for Vice Admiral William Ross at Starbase 375. Adm. Ross definitely calls it a promotion and even holds a short ceremony for the occasion. Now of course Sisko didn't want to go because he didn't want to leave his crew and Deep Space Nine itself, he felt like he was getting off easy. But he had no choice and in the end it turned out to be the right move.
                          Intresting...

Unless stated in canon otherwise all I can do is compare Star Fleet to modern miltary. Just because an assignment carries more weight or prestigue doesn't mean its a promotion. If a Colonel commands a base and then gets transfered to a position of the Pentagon its just a reassignment until he is given those stars
                          (salute)
                          YES MA'M.

Comment

Intresting...

(salute)
                            YES MA'M.
                            I'm male
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm male
                              And so the debate rages on!...

Just kidding

So I know Riker makes an appearance on DS9, and so does Picard in the Pilot, but any other characters from the other series make an appearance?

Just curious.

I think I remember seeing the doctor from Voyager (Joe) in one of the episodes, somewhere down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                                And so the debate rages on!...

Just kidding

So I know Riker makes an appearance on DS9, and so does Picard in the Pilot, but any other characters from the other series make an appearance?

Just curious.

I think I remember seeing the doctor from Voyager Joe in one of the episodes, somewhere down the line.
                                Well Worf for one.

Their are a few recurring TNG recurring character but those are the only main characters
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X