Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    That really wasn't my point. Granted we are all Trek fans and quite a few of us would buy the HD Trek DVDs. However in the grand scheme the fans are outweighed by the casual viewers. So the question how many casual Trek viewers would HD DVDs?

That reminds me of when the first round of stimulus checks came out. The things that benefitted the most were plasma TV and strippers
    yep, but my $13/week doesn't go that far... for me it blockbuster and dunkin' donuts!

Comment

That reminds me of when the first round of stimulus checks came out. The things that benefitted the most were plasma TV and strippers
      Stimulus checks?

Comment

There's something i've always been curious about. In his way when Lola Crystal was singing Fever, was it actually Nana Visitor singing or was she just lipsyncing?

I've always been curious about that *shrugs*
        sigpic

Comment

oh yes, "the great one" (aka our president) got congress to pass an "emergency stimulus bill" packed with wasteful spending ($3.4 million for a turtle tunnel in florida...so the turtles won't cross the road and become roadkill....that's just one project) that included a cut in payroll taxes amounting to an extra $13 /week. If you are retired or on disability or on welfare you get a one time check of $250. yep to "stimulate the economy", all of which will have to be claimed on next years taxes. Uh huh good thing eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
            There's something i've always been curious about. In his way when Lola Crystal was singing Fever, was it actually Nana Visitor singing or was she just lipsyncing?

I've always been curious about that *shrugs*
            Good question Lady Linda. It is most definitely Nana's voice. Her whole family are in showbiz (Broadway), she does a lot of singing and dancing. Here is a brief bio on her (it's a great read!) ....
            Spoiler:
            In the Beginning. . .

Nana Tucker was born July 26, 1957, to Broadway choreographer Robert Tucker (Gypsy) and ballet instructor Nenette Charisse. Famed dancer Cyd Charisse married Nenette’s brother. Nana has two brothers, Ian and Paris, and one sister, Zan. Raised in New York’s theater district, surrounded by dancers, Nana began dance lessons at her mother’s studio at age 7.

Following high school where she was a “bookish child” and where she had her first experiences on stage, Nana was accepted into Princeton. Before she could leave for college, however, Nana auditioned and was hired to be in the chorus of a show. Following that gig she continued to find work in the theater and kept deferring college. As she says, “I think everyone was pretty relieved that I didn’t become the black sheep of the family and not go into show business.”

As Nana’s showbiz career became a reality, she chose a stage name. “Tucker” was never a name Nana was particularly attached to: her father was adopted. “Visitor” is an old family name from her mother’s side. “I guess someone decided we were just visitors here and took the name,” she explains.

Broadway, Baby

Nana’s first major stage role came in late 1980 when she played Stella Goodman in The Gentle People. Next she took on the title role in Gypsy, co-starring with Angela Lansbury. Following that production she landed a double role in My One & Only, starring 60’s icon Twiggy. Nana was Twiggy’s understudy (if the star isn’t able to perform, the understudy takes over) and played the part of Prawn in the chorus. The soundtrack of this production is Nana’s only appearance on an original cast album. She sings in the chorus, no solos, but it’s a chance to hear Major Kira chiming in on Gershwin songs!

With her singing voice warmed up, Nana landed a part in the Los Angeles revival of 42nd Street. Playing Peggy Sawyer, Nana wowed the audience with her tap dancing. In 1985, shortly after appearing in the revival, Nana moved to Los Angeles. Exact dates are unknown, but somewhere during all this Nana married dancer/actor Nick Miscusi whom she met at her mother’s dance studio.

The (small) Silver Screen

Nana had some experience with television acting back in New York. In 1982 she played Georgina Whitman on the soap opera One Life to Live. Upon arriving in L.A., she began appearing in guest roles on MacGyver, Remington Steele, The Colbys, and a host of other shows. In late 1985, Nana appeared in a made-for-TV-movie based on Will Eisner’s comic book character “The Spirit.” The show itself was called “sappy,” but critics praised Nana. In her role as the police commissioner’s daughter, Nana delivered with comic precision. One reviewer praised her comic timing as she “hobbles into a crowded room while bound at the ankles and screams, ‘Run for your lives!’ A bomb is supposed to go off. Then she learns the bomb has been defused and whispers, ‘Nevermind.’”

Nana’s comedic flair won her a role in the stage production of Ladies’ Room, women’s answer to locker room humor. Nana played a former Playboy bunny who gave up that career to become a secretary. This play, co-starring Lisa Kudrow, spawned the feature film Romy & Michelle’s High School Reunion. Other stage roles followed, but Nana’s destiny was, ultimately, in television. A classic Nana appearance, if you can catch it, is in the Night Court episode “Educating Rhoda.” She plays a “pretty mental patient who slips out of court and into a hotel room with Dan, who’s unaware she intends to reenact the shower scene from Psycho.” In the same episode she brilliantly spoofs the Gloria Swanson role from Sunset Boulevard.

Nana continued her successful career as a guest star for the rest of the 1980s, appearing in a wide variety of series: thirtysomething, Jake & the Fatman, L.A. Law, Baby Talk, Empty Nest, and several appearances on Matlock. She also reteamed with Gypsy co-star Angela Lansbury for an episode of Murder, She Wrote. In 1990, Nana snagged the role of Bryn Newhouse in the TV version of Working Girl, based on the hit movie starring Harrison Ford, Melanie Griffith and Sigourney Weaver. Nana’s co-star was a then unknown Sandra Bullock. The series never caught on with the audience, however, and was pulled after a handful of episodes.

Boldy Going. . .

In 1992, Nana gave birth to her son, Buster. Later that year she auditioned for the role of Major Kira Nerys. The role piqued her interest because it wasn’t “a mother, or a wife, or a prostitute, or a killer. [Kira] is fully realized.” The lure of playing a three-dimensional character overruled her agent’s cautions about working on a syndicated series. Network television is (or was at the time) far more helpful to an actor’s career. Nevertheless, Nana auditioned, was called back for a second audition, and got the part. Her devotion to the character was such that she remained “in character” during her entire auditions. As she later recalled, the producers “thought I was perfect for the role but would a nightmare to work with.” Little did they know what a prize they had. Kira became one of the most popular characters on the show with her combination of determination, gutsiness and vulnerability.

Nana’s seven years playing Major Kira Nerys (now Colonel) brought her into the public spotlight more than any other role. It also brought several personal changes. Nana and Nick divorced in 1994 and in late 1995 she and co-star Alexander Siddig (Dr. Julian Bashir) began dating. Their son, Django El Tahir El Siddig, was born in September 1996, and they wed in June 1997.

Sid and Nana divorced in April 2001 as their careers took them in different directions (and different continents). Nana became engaged to Matthew Rimmer, CHICAGO’s company manager, in early 2002, and they wed in April 2003.

And Now. . .

Following DS9’s seven year run, Nana returned to the stage as Roxie in the Broadway production of CHICAGO and guest starred as Madam X on Dark Angel. Following a few guest spots on both drama and comedy series, Nana landed the role of Jean Ritter in ABC Family’s original series, Wildfire, as well as roles in the independent films Mini’s First Time (2006) and Babysitter Wanted (2007). She currently divides her time between New Mexico where Wildfire films, and the family’s home in Las Vegas.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Goodness, that's...a really interesting life! Cyd Charisse was her auntie! Heh...

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                Good question Lady Linda. It is most definitely Nana's voice. Her whole family are in showbiz (Broadway), she does a lot of singing and dancing. Here is a brief bio on her (it's a great read!) ....
                Spoiler:
                In the Beginning. . .

Nana Tucker was born July 26, 1957, to Broadway choreographer Robert Tucker (Gypsy) and ballet instructor Nenette Charisse. Famed dancer Cyd Charisse married Nenette’s brother. Nana has two brothers, Ian and Paris, and one sister, Zan. Raised in New York’s theater district, surrounded by dancers, Nana began dance lessons at her mother’s studio at age 7.

Following high school where she was a “bookish child” and where she had her first experiences on stage, Nana was accepted into Princeton. Before she could leave for college, however, Nana auditioned and was hired to be in the chorus of a show. Following that gig she continued to find work in the theater and kept deferring college. As she says, “I think everyone was pretty relieved that I didn’t become the black sheep of the family and not go into show business.”

As Nana’s showbiz career became a reality, she chose a stage name. “Tucker” was never a name Nana was particularly attached to: her father was adopted. “Visitor” is an old family name from her mother’s side. “I guess someone decided we were just visitors here and took the name,” she explains.

Broadway, Baby

Nana’s first major stage role came in late 1980 when she played Stella Goodman in The Gentle People. Next she took on the title role in Gypsy, co-starring with Angela Lansbury. Following that production she landed a double role in My One & Only, starring 60’s icon Twiggy. Nana was Twiggy’s understudy (if the star isn’t able to perform, the understudy takes over) and played the part of Prawn in the chorus. The soundtrack of this production is Nana’s only appearance on an original cast album. She sings in the chorus, no solos, but it’s a chance to hear Major Kira chiming in on Gershwin songs!

With her singing voice warmed up, Nana landed a part in the Los Angeles revival of 42nd Street. Playing Peggy Sawyer, Nana wowed the audience with her tap dancing. In 1985, shortly after appearing in the revival, Nana moved to Los Angeles. Exact dates are unknown, but somewhere during all this Nana married dancer/actor Nick Miscusi whom she met at her mother’s dance studio.

The (small) Silver Screen

Nana had some experience with television acting back in New York. In 1982 she played Georgina Whitman on the soap opera One Life to Live. Upon arriving in L.A., she began appearing in guest roles on MacGyver, Remington Steele, The Colbys, and a host of other shows. In late 1985, Nana appeared in a made-for-TV-movie based on Will Eisner’s comic book character “The Spirit.” The show itself was called “sappy,” but critics praised Nana. In her role as the police commissioner’s daughter, Nana delivered with comic precision. One reviewer praised her comic timing as she “hobbles into a crowded room while bound at the ankles and screams, ‘Run for your lives!’ A bomb is supposed to go off. Then she learns the bomb has been defused and whispers, ‘Nevermind.’”

Nana’s comedic flair won her a role in the stage production of Ladies’ Room, women’s answer to locker room humor. Nana played a former Playboy bunny who gave up that career to become a secretary. This play, co-starring Lisa Kudrow, spawned the feature film Romy & Michelle’s High School Reunion. Other stage roles followed, but Nana’s destiny was, ultimately, in television. A classic Nana appearance, if you can catch it, is in the Night Court episode “Educating Rhoda.” She plays a “pretty mental patient who slips out of court and into a hotel room with Dan, who’s unaware she intends to reenact the shower scene from Psycho.” In the same episode she brilliantly spoofs the Gloria Swanson role from Sunset Boulevard.

Nana continued her successful career as a guest star for the rest of the 1980s, appearing in a wide variety of series: thirtysomething, Jake & the Fatman, L.A. Law, Baby Talk, Empty Nest, and several appearances on Matlock. She also reteamed with Gypsy co-star Angela Lansbury for an episode of Murder, She Wrote. In 1990, Nana snagged the role of Bryn Newhouse in the TV version of Working Girl, based on the hit movie starring Harrison Ford, Melanie Griffith and Sigourney Weaver. Nana’s co-star was a then unknown Sandra Bullock. The series never caught on with the audience, however, and was pulled after a handful of episodes.

Boldy Going. . .

In 1992, Nana gave birth to her son, Buster. Later that year she auditioned for the role of Major Kira Nerys. The role piqued her interest because it wasn’t “a mother, or a wife, or a prostitute, or a killer. [Kira] is fully realized.” The lure of playing a three-dimensional character overruled her agent’s cautions about working on a syndicated series. Network television is (or was at the time) far more helpful to an actor’s career. Nevertheless, Nana auditioned, was called back for a second audition, and got the part. Her devotion to the character was such that she remained “in character” during her entire auditions. As she later recalled, the producers “thought I was perfect for the role but would a nightmare to work with.” Little did they know what a prize they had. Kira became one of the most popular characters on the show with her combination of determination, gutsiness and vulnerability.

Nana’s seven years playing Major Kira Nerys (now Colonel) brought her into the public spotlight more than any other role. It also brought several personal changes. Nana and Nick divorced in 1994 and in late 1995 she and co-star Alexander Siddig (Dr. Julian Bashir) began dating. Their son, Django El Tahir El Siddig, was born in September 1996, and they wed in June 1997.

Sid and Nana divorced in April 2001 as their careers took them in different directions (and different continents). Nana became engaged to Matthew Rimmer, CHICAGO’s company manager, in early 2002, and they wed in April 2003.

And Now. . .

Following DS9’s seven year run, Nana returned to the stage as Roxie in the Broadway production of CHICAGO and guest starred as Madam X on Dark Angel. Following a few guest spots on both drama and comedy series, Nana landed the role of Jean Ritter in ABC Family’s original series, Wildfire, as well as roles in the independent films Mini’s First Time (2006) and Babysitter Wanted (2007). She currently divides her time between New Mexico where Wildfire films, and the family’s home in Las Vegas.
                ool, thanks brother Fifth

Well she has a great voice

I used to watch murder she wrote and Remington Steele, I gotta pay more attention to guest stars

She was awesome in Dark Angel
                sigpic

Comment

ool, thanks brother Fifth
                  Well she has a great voice
                  You are quite welcome and she does have a very good voice
                  Originally posted by Linda06
                  I used to watch murder she wrote and Remington Steele, I gotta pay more attention to guest stars
                  It's always fun to see one of your scifi heroes pop up on main stream television whether it's new or in rerun's.
                  Originally posted by Alder View Post
                  Goodness, that's...a really interesting life! Cyd Charisse was her auntie! Heh...
                  Very kewl!. Her family definitely has a pedigree for song and dance. I do remember watching a video of Nana doing a broadway stage show at a Star Trek convention back in the late 90's, very talented!.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                  Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

So...I'm watching the second half of Stigma - (Enterprise season three), which annoyed me the first time I watched it, and still does. I feel as if I'm getting preached at, but I'm not sure what the message is.
                    First you have the main story-line of T'pol's illness, which carries the stigma of the title. Vulcan doctors aren't interested in doing research on it, since it only affects 'melders'. To quote T'pol:

"One of the reasons why they left Vulcan was to escape prejudice. Their behaviour is considered unnatural. They are considered a threat."

The secondary plot is basically Phlox's second wife deciding she fancies Trip, Trip being a gent about it, and Phlox finding him a repressed, unevolved little human.

I *think* - though maybe I'm reading something into it that isn't there - that the main plot is supposed to mirror the medical community's disinclination to do research into AIDS back in the day - until it was seen as a disease that could strike more than "an undesirable segment of the population" - to quote a stuffy Vulcan. I'm not sure what the message is supposed to be. "Prejudice is bad?"

I find it more interesting that T'pol was basically raped, and felt unable to report it to anyone...guess some things never change.

As for the Phlox bit, I've no idea what they were trying to get at. Although, I do think it gives an insight into why Denobulans disappeared from Trekdom.
                    Spoiler:
                    To quote from Memory Alpha: "Phlox had three wives, each with three husbands, including Phlox, resulting in a total of 720 relationships, 42 of which had romantic possibilities. There were 31 children in his extended family, and he had five children of his own: three sons and two daughters." I reckon that a couple of hundred years of this would lead to a genetic soup so intermingled that it would require an insanely complex database to keep track of who was related to who and how closely. I suspect that by the time they had the technology to do this, they were already on a downward spiral of birth defects and sterility, leading to their extinction.

Comment

Denobulans perfected genetic engineering 'centuries ago', Phlox said. I doubt they have such issues.

The side plot was, IMHO, meant to present the sex lacking in the main plot. The main story was demanded by the network as part of an AIDS themed week and, since they couldn't do something sexually transmitted... or didn't want to do something so blatant, they used the already shunned melders. I think the message of the b story was simply that humans and aliens approach things differently; I don't think that Phlox thought less of Trip or humanity, he was just amused by how relatively shy he was sexually.

I think the main story was meant to show the 'stigma' that exists in society against those who have HIV/AIDS, whether personally or institutionally. The Vulcan medical institution was the best choice in-story, since the real world medical community isn't reluctant to help HIV/AIDS victims. The 'closeted' Vulcan doctor who 'comes out' at the end and saves T'Pol... That was pretty blatant, but the whole episode was in a way. I enjoyed it, thankfully because it didn't seem anywhere near as morally heavy-handed as... let's say 'Chosen Realm'.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                        The main story was demanded by the network as part of an AIDS themed week and, since they couldn't do something sexually transmitted... or didn't want to do something so blatant, they used the already shunned melders. I think the message of the b story was simply that humans and aliens approach things differently; I don't think that Phlox thought less of Trip or humanity, he was just amused by how relatively shy he was sexually.
                        Ah, well that explains it. I'm glad I wasn't inventing something that wasn't there!

As far as Trip is concerned, maybe it's me, but I don't find not wanting to jump another man's wife to be particularly sexually shy... And I found the whole "So, has she run you a rose petal bath? You'd have to be a fool to turn down a healthy Denobulan female. Ah, you're too concerned with human morality" stuff to be creepy rather than anything else.

I'll be over here in the repressed corner with Trip...

Comment

Originally posted by Alder View Post
                          I'll be over here in the repressed corner with Trip...
                          Having fun are we

Hey, I just noticed something...I never thunked any of the guys on star trek
                          sigpic

Comment

Having fun are we

Hey, I just noticed something...I never thunked any of the guys on star trek
                            And I never thunked any of the girls.

Okay that is a lie. But I never thunked the TNG females. The TNG females seemed kind of useless.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

And I never thunked any of the girls.

Okay that is a lie. But I never thunked the TNG females. The TNG females seemed kind of useless.
                              Yes that is a lie cause didn't you thunk Ezri
                              sigpic

Comment

Yes that is a lie cause didn't you thunk Ezri
                                Among others

But strangly enough I never thunked 7 of 9
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X