Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episodes 13 & 14 of DS9 season V

For the Uniform
    Sisko encounters Michael Eddington, his former Starfleet Security Chief, who betrayed him and joined the Maquis. Obsessed with capturing the traitor, Sisko pursues him in the Defiant. But when Sisko gives the order to fire, the Defiant experiences a massive computer failure — caused by Eddington. He leaves Sisko angry and humiliated, and facing a long trip home.

The Defiant is towed back to Deep Space Nine, and O'Brien begins the massive job of bringing the ship back on-line. Adding insult to injury, Sisko learns that Captain Sanders of the Malinche has been assigned to apprehend Eddington since Starfleet feels Sisko hasn't himself been able to do the job in the past eight months. But when he learns that Eddington attacked Cardassian colonies in the DMZ with a biogenic weapon, Sisko sees his chance. Despite the fact that the Defiant is not ready, he prepares to take his ship back into space.

The ship lurches out of the station and soon encounters Eddington again, who taunts Sisko. The captain realizes too late that he was baited to false coordinates. As the crew sets off to find Eddington's real location, a distress call is received from Malinche — Maquis forces ambushed and disabled the starship.

Sisko determines Eddington's next planetary target, but is too late to stop him from releasing his biogenic weapon into the atmosphere. The Defiant chases after Eddington's fleeing ship, but he cripples a transport vessel evacuating Cardassian civilians, forcing Sisko to break off his pursuit and rescue the helpless Cardassians.

Stumped as to how to get Eddington, Sisko realizes that the renegade sees himself as a noble hero and Sisko as a villain. In order to stop Eddington, Sisko decides he must do something truly villainous. He prepares to poison the atmosphere of the Maquis colony in retaliation and reveals his sinister plan to all. Eddington is prepared to call his bluff. Amazingly, Sisko orders the deadly torpedoes launched, and the Maquis scramble to evacuate. Sisko says that he is prepared to eliminate every Maquis colony in the DMZ, and Eddington, realizing Sisko is serious, does the "heroic" gesture of offering himself in exchange. Eddington is captured, and Sisko's vendetta is finally over

In Purgatory's Shadow
    When the station picks up a mysterious coded message from inside the Gamma Quadrant that appears to be Cardassian, Garak is asked to analyze it. He reports that the message is insignificant, but is later caught trying to sneak off the station in a runabout. He then admits that the message is some sort of distress call from his mentor Enabran Tain, the former head of the Obsidian Order. Garak convinces Sisko to allow him to travel to the Gamma Quadrant to search for Tain, but Sisko sends Worf along as a "chaperone."
    Garak and Worf bicker consistently and find nothing. Finally, Worf announces that they can go no further and takes the ship out of warp, explaining that the source of Tain's signal is deep in Dominion space. Garak, however, is unwilling to give up, and pushes Worf to travel through the nebula to avoid detection. Worf reluctantly agrees, and almost immediately upon entering the nebula, they wind up in the midst of the Jem'Hadar fleet.

Worf realizes that the entire fleet can only be assembled for one reason — they intend to invade the Alpha Quadrant. He immediately sends a warning message to the station, but is not confident it will get through. Moments later, four Jem'Hadar soldiers materialize on the ship and take Worf and Garak prisoner. Back on Deep Space Nine, the crew is able to decipher enough of Worf's signal to realize the Dominion is coming. Sisko sends Kira to find Worf and Garak, but they are already imprisoned in a Dominion detention center, where they are told they will remain until they die.

Inside the camp, Worf meets Martok, the Klingon general who was replaced by a Changeling. Martok leads Worf and Garak to Tain, himself a prisoner, who is dying. Instead of being thankful to Garak for coming, Tain chastises him for allowing himself to be taken prisoner. Meanwhile, Kira returns with grim news that at least 50 Dominion ships are headed their way. With reinforcements at least two days away and only Gul Dukat on hand to help out, Sisko sees only one choice — sealing the wormhole. If Worf and Garak don't escape in 36 hours, they will be trapped. Meanwhile, Worf and Garak are introduced to another prisoner: Bashir ... meaning the Bashir at the station is a Changeling.

On the station, the Bashir Changeling begins making himself useful to Dax and O'Brien while they work out the technology that will seal the wormhole. In the internment camp, Garak meets with Tain again, desperate for a kind word from his mentor before the old man passes on. When Tain makes Garak promise to escape as a final request, Garak makes a request in return — that Tain acknowledge him as his son. He does, and father and illegitimate child share a memory before Tain dies peacefully. His mission complete, Garak is ready to find a way out. But he may be too late. On Deep Space Nine, the crew shoots a particle beam at the wormhole, intending to close it. However, something goes wrong. The wormhole remains open, and the Jem'Hadar fleet begins pouring through.

Both great episodes!.

In For the Uniform we see Sisko pushed to the point of maniacalrage and obsession with his ex Starfleet Security Chief Eddington. Watching Sisko unravel throughout this episode was fantastic, Eddington was right and Sisko knew it, but he couldn't live the fact down that Eddington made a fool of him which is the real reason with his obsession in catching Eddington. One moment I was on Sisko's side then the next I was rooting for Eddington.

In Purgatory's Shadow what's not to love!. We get Garek searching for his father and a very skeptical Worf on a mission to accompany Garek into the Gamma quadrant to look for the signal. We find out that the Bashir that's been at DS9 for the last 4 weeks has been a changeling in disguise with the real Bashir in a JemHa'dar prison with the real Gen. Martok. Great stuff!. This is part I of a II part episode.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Though it's not a traditional story arc, "For the Uniform" continues a basic theme of DS9. Yes Federation Officers are noble and sacrifical and idealistic, but in DS9 we really get to see their dark sides, some of them disturbing. It has also become clear that DS9 was Trek's attempt at taking some of the super-idealism of Trek and forcing our characters to make impossible choices. Wise "devils" like Garek sometimes lead our heroes into purgatory becaue it's necessary. In this case, Sisko creates his own (as he does on occassion throughout the series). Sisko's optimistic competitiveness is both a strength and a potentially fatal flaw. We see the ups and downs here.

The uninitiated viewer might be shocked by this ep. Another very good one.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
        Though it's not a traditional story arc, "For the Uniform" continues a basic theme of DS9. Yes Federation Officers are noble and sacrifical and idealistic, but in DS9 we really get to see their dark sides, some of them disturbing. It has also become clear that DS9 was Trek's attempt at taking some of the super-idealism of Trek and forcing our characters to make impossible choices. Wise "devils" like Garek sometimes lead our heroes into purgatory becaue it's necessary. In this case, Sisko creates his own (as he does on occassion throughout the series). Sisko's optimistic competitiveness is both a strength and a potentially fatal flaw. We see the ups and downs here.

Well said as usual kmiller, as I am sure you noticed, considering you just watched season 5 and are watching 6 & 7 now that DS9 does take a dark turn with the whole Dominion/Cardassian storyline arc. Like brother Fifth I rank For the Uniform as my favorite season 5 episode. We see two sides of Sisko and both are polar opposites of each other. I found it hard to root for either Sisko or Eddington in the great episode. I think Eddington took it way to far by using 'Bio-Genic weapons' which forced Sisko to go even deeper into his dark place. I will say this about Sisko, when he puts his mind to something, hell be damned, he is going to make it happen no matter what he has to do.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
          In Purgatory's Shadow what's not to love!. We get Garek searching for his father and a very skeptical Worf on a mission to accompany Garek into the Gamma quadrant to look for the signal. We find out that the Bashir that's been at DS9 for the last 4 weeks has been a changeling in disguise with the real Bashir in a JemHa'dar prison with the real Gen. Martok. Great stuff!. This is part I of a II part episode.
          Another great one!. The dynamic between Garek and Worf was comical, that scene when they are both in the run-a-bout headed for the Gamma quadrant where Garek convinces Worf that he wants to join Starfleet with Worf's endorsement even had me going for a second . Evil changeling Bashir was a great storyline arc they took in this episode (In Purgatory's Shadow). I will finish my thoughts when Fifth puts up the second part to this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610

Sisko was rather disturbing but so was Eddington by building then using BioGenic weapons that are capable of destroying every Cardassian on a planetary scale. It's episodes like this that set DS9 apart from other Trek series, Brannon Braga had a unique and dark view for DS9 which he really gets his vision across rather well. All the characters on DS9 including key players (even the Starfleet ones) like Sisko, Bashir, Worf, O'Brien and even Jadzia are all flawed (aren't we all ). Braga makes it point to show us there flaws no matter how bad they are.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Great stuff guys. If I remember correctly (as I'm going back a few years now), season 5 had a few dodgy stand-alone episodes, but the threat of the Dominion was always there under the surface. The highlight of season 5 for me was definitely the two part story "In Purgatory's Shadow" and "By Inferno's Light."

I can't wait to see these episodes again. Hopefully, following the release of new slimline cases for TNG and Voyager, a slimline version of DS9 will go on sale sometime. I don't really care about the packaging, I just want the goodness inside.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I just saw The Way of the Warrior Parts One and Two, and all I can say is.....wow.....

That had everything that goes in to the making of a great two parter.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  I just saw The Way of the Warrior Parts One and Two, and all I can say is.....wow.....

Absolutely!, we get the introduction of Gen. Martok, we get a wary and bitter Worf warning Sisko not to trust chancellor Gowron. This is one of those episodes (II parter) that was vital to the rest of series storyline. Worf, Martok and Gowron are by far the best Klingons of all the series and movies. What is up with Gowron's eyes Gene Wilder has nothing on him . Gowron has one of the best facial expressions ever.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                    Great stuff guys. If I remember correctly (as I'm going back a few years now), season 5 had a few dodgy stand-alone episodes, but the threat of the Dominion was always there under the surface. The highlight of season 5 for me was definitely the two part story "In Purgatory's Shadow" and "By Inferno's Light."
                    There were a handful of great and "dodgy" stand alones in season V. So much happens in that season that I remember reading Braga and Berman got the green light to do 3 more seasons after season IV that they wrote all of season V to set up the way the Klingon and Cardassian confrontation along with the whole Dominion war storyline arc would play out.

I totally agree with you brother MF. The II parter In Purgatory's Shadow and By Inferno's Light were great episodes!.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Definetly my favorite episode in season IV, it set everything up that season and most importantly introduced Worf to DS9 and set up the whole Klingon storyline throughout the rest of the series of DS9.

What's with Gowron's eyes Gene Wilder has nothing on him .
                      LOL, I think the samething everytime Gowron flashes us one of his wide eyed :eel: looks.

Comment

Absolutely!, we get the introduction of Gen. Martok, we get a wary and bitter Worf warning Sisko not to trust chancellor Gowron. This is one of those episodes (II parter) that was vital to the rest of series storyline. Worf, Martok and Gowron are by far the best Klingons of all the series and movies. What is up with Gowron's eyes Gene Wilder has nothing on him . Gowron has one of the best facial expressions ever.
                        Actually, it wasn't Gene Wilder that I thought of by the guy who played Igor in Young Frankenstien- I always forget that actors name. Of course Gowron's eyes weren't quite to that degree but still.....

Comment

Actually, it wasn't Gene Wilder that I thought of by the guy who played Igor in Young Frankenstien- I always forget that actors name. Of course Gowron's eyes weren't quite to that degree but still.....
                          I stand corrected, I actually meant to say Marty Feldman who played Igor while Wilder was Dr. Franken-steen not Frankenstein ... LOL ... Marty Feldman had a great set of bug eyes!, he appeared in a few Mel Brook's movies and did some Monty Python work among many other things including his own comedy hour on network television back in the 70's. Thanx for pointing that out to me Trek_Girl.

Heres Marty in all his Igor glory

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DX
                          Last edited by the Fifth Race; 02 June 2006, 11:19 AM.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

It's funny you guys are talking about Gowron and his golf ball eyes. Me and my fellow Trekker friend used to call him "eccy eyes" because it looked like he had slipped a couple of ecstasy tablets.

Great pictures brother Fifth. He did have a unique look. Marty Feldman was yet another great character actor. I actually prefer their quirkiness to the chiselled looks of some leading actors. Brad *cough* dull Pitt

But then again, some character actors end up being typecast, playing the same role over and over.
                            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

It's funny you guys are talking about Gowron and his golf ball eyes. Me and my fellow Trekker friend used to call him "eccy eyes" because it looked like he had slipped a couple of ecstasy tablets.
                              LOL, Ecstasy Gowron, the way he ran the Klingon empire during his reign he might have been dipping into the ecstasy stash That wide-eyed look Gowron had made him look crazy and kind of scary, perfect for a Klingon emperor.

Great pictures brother Fifth. He did have a unique look. Marty Feldman was yet another great character actor. I actually prefer their quirkiness to the chiselled looks of some leading actors. Brad *cough* dull Pitt

But then again, some character actors end up being typecast, playing the same role over and over.
                              Thanx brother MF, Feldman not only had a unique look but he was a comic genius!. His characters he portrayed were always funny and memorable. I loved him with Monty Python and a couple Mel Brooks productions.

<<<not a big Brad Pitt fan. He used to be great in those smallish indie type movies he made like Kalifornia and a hand full of others, but since he became a mega-star his movies and acting went downhill. Although I wouldn't mind seeing him in the next Trek movie.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Episode 15 of DS9 season V

By Inferno's Light
                                As the station prepares for a Dominion attack, the enemy fleet coming through the wormhole suddenly turns toward Cardassian space. Gul Dukat breaks formation and follows, apparently bent on taking on the enemy himself. The Deep Space Nine crew worries for his safety, until he reveals that he has spearheaded negotiations resulting in Cardassia's agreement to join the Dominion — with Dukat as Cardassia's leader. In the Dominion Internment Center, Worf, Martok, Bashir and Garek mastermind an escape plan that will require Garek to spend hours in a tiny crawlspace reconfiguring a transmitter to beam them back to their runabout.
                                In the Internment Center, Worf is forced to fight Jem'Hadar soldiers to prepare them for their battle against the Klingons. While Worf fights, Garek works on the transmitter, as other prisoners stand guard. On Deep Space Nine, Sisko convinces Klingon Chancellor Gowron to reinstate their treaty with the Federation in order to fight the Dominion and Cardassians together. Meanwhile, the Changeling impersonating Bashir slips away and into a runabout.

Worf continues his battles with various Jem'Hadar soldiers, but while he keeps winning, he keeps getting weaker. Bashir warns him to stop, but Worf is determined to fight to the death, impressing General Martok with his deep sense of Klingon honor. Garak, who suffers from intense claustrophobia, panics in the crawlspace and must be rescued. Meanwhile, Dukat offers to spare the station if the Federation agrees to join the Dominion. Sisko refuses, and Dukat warns him that Deep Space Nine will be a target.

In the Internment Center, Garak regains his bearings and re-enters the crawlspace to finish his job. While Worf struggles through a fight with the head of the Jem'Hadar guards, a group of soldiers arrives at the prisoners' barracks looking for Garak. On Deep Space Nine, the combined Federation and Klingon forces prepare to take on the Dominion. Even the Romulans arrive to help. No one sees Bashir take off alone in a runabout — just as the Dominion fleet prepares to enter Bajoran space.

Back at the Internment Center, the Jem'Hadar guards discover Garak's crawlspace and head inside. The prisoners kill them, saving their chances of escape. Meanwhile, Worf, near death, insists on continuing the fight, even when Martok tells him to stop. Impressed, his opponents yield, and the Vorta in charge orders both combatants killed. But Worf dematerializes and appears on their runabout with the rest of the prisoners — Garak was successful. The real Bashir sends a message to Deep Space Nine revealing the Bashir they have been dealing with is a saboteur. They locate the Bashir Changeling on the runabout, heading straight for the sun with a trilithium explosive, which if it explodes in the sun, will destroy the station and the entire combined fleet. Kira and Dax take off after him and destroy the runabout just in time. Sisko tells his fleet of unlikely allies that no attack is imminent — at least not today.

Later, Garak, Worf, Martok and the real Bashir return, and Martok is made commander of the Klingon forces on Deep Space Nine. But there is no time to celebrate. Gul Dukat sends a message to Sisko indicating that the battle for the Alpha Quadrant has just begun.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                I loved this episode!, By Inferno's Light is the beginning of the Dominion war with Cardassia and specifically Gul DuKat who joins forces with the Dominion as Cardassia's president against the Federation. Sisko isn't doing to well in season V, he got used by Eddington and the Maquis, was a pawn of the Prophets and now Gul DuKat does a 360 turn after Sisko was helping him and Sisko gets shafted once again. Changeling Bashir attempts unsuccessfully to destroy the Bajoran sun to kill everyone on Bajor and DS9 but is stopped after the real Bashir escapes the Dominion and communicates that the other Bashir isn't who he says he is. We got Garak fighting his claustrophobia while Worf is nearly beaten to death by multiple Jemhadar opponents. The scene where the #1 Jemhadar soldier refuses to kill Worf even after being ordered by the Vorta to do so because he admires the Klingon code of honor, So the Vorta orders them all killed which is when Worf and Martok are saved by Garek and Bashir from the run-a-bout while the #1 Jemhadar is killed. That was a very powerful scene and actually put the Jemhadar in a different more positive light than we had seen before. This is an important and great episode!.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X