No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually Shimerman portrayed Quark in the opening episode of Voyager, as well as in a TNG episode.
    He also played the part of the first ever ferengi to appear on ST. I think the show was called The last outpost. In the extramaterial of DS9 he begs the forgivness of the audience for that portrayal, and sees the role of Quark as a way to correct the mistakes he did playing that ferengi so horribly badly. Kind of giving the ferengi race a more threedimensional face, not just as some sort of snarling cavemonster which he originally did. The ferengi were supposted to be the next klingons, the great threat to the federation, but no one could take them seriously after the last outpost so they basicly vanished, returned in 2 or 2 shows in TNG, and then of course Quark came along and brought them into the light, which made both Enterprise (even though human supposedly wouldn't meet ferengi until picards days) and voyager (even though they were in the delta quadrant they managed to stumble unto the ferengi! Three adventurers who had been sucked into a wormhole in a TNG episode) have ferengi episodes.
    "You have been impregnated, without copulation?"
    "Yes! And I am absolutly terrified! Have any of you ever heard of anything like it?"
    "Well, there's one..."
    "Darth Vader!"
    "Really!? How did that turn out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Setesh
      Actually Shimerman portrayed Quark in the opening episode of Voyager, as well as in a TNG episode.
      He also played the part of the first ever ferengi to appear on ST. I think the show was called The last outpost. In the extra material of DS9 he begs the forgiveness of the audience for that portrayal, and sees the role of Quark as a way to correct the mistakes he did playing that ferengi so horribly badly. Kind of giving the ferengi race a more three dimensional face, not just as some sort of snarling cave monster which he originally did. The ferengi were supposed to be the next Klingon's, the great threat to the federation, but no one could take them seriously after the last outpost so they basically vanished, returned in 2 or 2 shows in TNG, and then of course Quark came along and brought them into the light, which made both Enterprise (even though human supposedly wouldn't meet ferengi until picard's days) and voyager (even though they were in the delta quadrant they managed to stumble unto the ferengi! Three adventurers who had been sucked into a wormhole in a TNG episode) have ferengi episodes.

The Ferengi portrayed on TNG especially in the early seasons were rather "cave-monster" like. They acted tweaky and nervous. I saw a DVD behind the scenes special where the writers of TNG when the Ferengi were first introduced wrote the them to act the way they did.

Awww so Quark appeared as a Ferengi in the first Voyager episode. did he play Quark or just a plain Ferengi?. I do remember the Ferengi in a later Voyager episode like you suggested Setesh.

IMHO Shimerman put a face on the Ferengi that endeared them to a lot of people that might have viewed them as the "Cave-Monsters" from TNG. Rom and Nog did a lot to bring up the image of Ferengi's as well!.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

He also played the part of the first ever ferengi to appear on ST. I think the show was called The last outpost.
        It was the episode "the Last Outpost" from early in season I. Shimerman played one of the group of Ferengi bandits called 'Letek'. Like you and brother Fifth suggested those Ferengi were nothing like the Ferengi on DS9 or Voyager. They were tweaky and all acted like they had a nervous disorder.
        The ferengi were supposted to be the next klingons, the great threat to the federation, but no one could take them seriously after the last outpost so they basicly vanished, returned in 2 or 2 shows in TNG
        That's interesting Setesh, I never read or heard that they were potentially the next big enemy or threat to the Federation, although after the "the Last Oustpost" episode that would have been a stretch!.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
          It was the episode "the Last Outpost" from early in season I. Shimerman played one of the group of Ferengi bandits called 'Letek'. Like you and brother Fifth suggested those Ferengi were nothing like the Ferengi on DS9 or Voyager. They were tweaky and all acted like they had a nervous disorder.
          What was up those Ferengi in that episode?, they all acted like they were all wired. I know from watching behind the scene stuff on DVDs that they were instructed to act like that but it still was rather strange.

I did like those cool phaser whip weapons they used, they looked wicked

Interesting Setesh, I never read or heard that they were potentially the next big enemy or threat to the Federation, although after the "the Last Outpost" episode that would have been a stretch!.
          I did read something about the Ferengi potentially becoming a big player in TNG with them being a threat to Earth, but to put them in the same category as the Klingon's is a huge "stretch", especially after the episode "The Last Outpost"
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I got this from a website....
            Ferengi is Arabic for European traders, or westerners in general. The Arabic word is Faranj, the Persian word is farangi meaning foreigner, there is also a Hindu word ferengi which also means foreigner, the Greeks also used a word farangi to describe Europeans.

They did first appear on the season I TNG episode 'The Last Outpost' and first made contact with the Federation in 2364. The Ferengi were mention in the TNG premiere episode 'Encounter at Farpoint' when the Bandi leader mentioned that he was thinking about selling the station to the Ferengi if the Federation balked at the deal, this lead to Picard telling Groppler Zor that he hopes the Ferengi find the Bandi as tasty as past associates .

The Ferengi were also pegged to be the next threat to the Federation (like Setesh suggested) at the start of TNG but after the episode 'The Last Outpost' fans viewed the ferengi as "ridiculous creatures" "that posed NO threat". So TPTB at Paramount scrapped the idea of Ferengi's being a strong race.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

/\/\/\ A very informative and interesting post Fifth! /\/\/\

Like Stargate I see Star Trek used a lot of words and names from various languages, religions and myths from Earth lore.

The Ferengi's never would have made any kind of good threat against the Federation or any of the powerful races. If they would have made the Ferengi more viscious, like Picard suggested in the Farpoint premiere episode about the Ferengi eating other races (like the Reevers from Serenity), then they might have been more credible as a race to fear.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                Awww so Quark appeared as a Ferengi in the first Voyager episode. did he play Quark or just a plain Ferengi?. I do remember the Ferengi in a later Voyager episode like you suggested Setesh.
                He played Quark. Voyager was supposted to travel into the region known as the "badlands", which is quite close to Bajor, and they stopped at DS9. In Ensign Kims opening scene, when he is introduced into the series, Quark tries to sell him some trinket. He then says that he had been "warned about Ferengi traders" and Quark acts all offended and says that they teach the students at Starfleet academy to be racist. It's a pretty funny scene.

The other Voyager ferengi episode is quite funny too. The 3 Ferengi form a religion based on the Rules of Aquisition on a lowtech world. Neelix dresses up as the Grand Nagus to make them stop.

The Ferengi were also pegged to be the next threat to the Federation (like Setesh suggested) at the start of TNG but after the episode 'The Last Outpost' fans viewed the ferengi as "ridiculous creatures" "that posed NO threat". So TPTB at Paramount scrapped the idea of Ferengi's being a strong race.
                I think that's too bad, they have a great look for bad guys. But that paved way for the next big baddie, The Borg.
                "Yes! And I am absolutly terrified! Have any of you ever heard of anything like it?"
                "Well, there's one..."
                "Darth Vader!"

Comment

I got this from a website....
                  Ferengi is Arabic for European traders, or westerners in general. The Arabic word is Faranj, the Persian word is farangi meaning foreigner, there is also a Hindu word ferengi which also means foreigner, the Greeks also used a word farangi to describe Europeans.
                  Wow, that's cool. I never knew it was an actual word in a language on Earth.

Comment

He played Quark. Voyager was supposed to travel into the region known as the "badlands", which is quite close to Bajor, and they stopped at DS9. In Ensign Kims opening scene, when he is introduced into the series, Quark tries to sell him some trinket. He then says that he had been "warned about Ferengi traders" and Quark acts all offended and says that they teach the students at Starfleet academy to be racist. It's a pretty funny scene.
                    I remember that now, and you are right that was a funny scene!.

The other Voyager ferengi episode is quite funny too. The 3 Ferengi form a religion based on the Rules of Aquisition on a low-tech world. Neelix dresses up as the Grand Nagus to make them stop.
                    I had forgotten about that episode. The Ferengi acted like they were Gods and the medieval people that lived on the planet had to pay in gold or jewels to pray to there Ferengi Gods. Neelix as a Ferengi was good stuff!.

Wasn't there also another Ferengi episode in the last season of Voyager when a Ferengi ship sent a phony hologram Dr. to try and convince Voyager to make an unsafe passage through a Vortex so they could steal 7 of 9's nanoprobes.

I think that's too bad, they have a great look for bad guys. But that paved way for the next big baddie, The Borg.
                    If they would have made the Ferengi bigger and not so dumb and also like Picard suggested where they like to eat other races and species, then yes they would have been a great foe.

If it meant the Ferengi not becoming the next threat to the Federation so the Borg could be created, then they definitely went the right way!.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                      Wow, that's cool. I never knew it was an actual word in a language on Earth.
                      It is interesting how Star Trek and Stargate for that matter used a lot of Earth names and words from different languages that had similar meanings to what they pertained too.

I will post a list of Star Trek words and names that have meanings in various Earth languages in the near future on this thread brother HG.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I had forgotten about that episode. The Ferengi acted like they were Gods and the medieval people that lived on the planet had to pay in gold or jewels to pray to there Ferengi Gods. Neelix as a Ferengi was good stuff!.
                        I was never a real big fan of Voyager (as you well know brother Fifth) I know you liked Voyager, tell me, didn't you think 2 Ferengi stuck in Gamma quadrant was a stretch or that Voyager would happen to find them? . I love poking fun at Voyager whenever I can

Neelix was very good in that episode.

Wasn't there also another Ferengi episode in the last season of Voyager when a Ferengi ship sent a phony hologram Dr. to try and convince Voyager to make an unsafe passage through a Vortex so they could steal 7 of 9's nanoprobes.
                        I remember that episode, it was called 'Inside Man', it was actually one of my favorites. Three ferengi scam Voyager by sending a phony Barclay to give the crew of Voyager false hope that they are coming home through some kind of wormhole. So Barclay can harvest 7 of 9's nanoprobes because they are worth thousands of times more than anything else. The Dr. and Hologram Barclay clash when the Dr. realizes something is amiss. Now that's a believable Ferengi episode with Voyager involved. Deanna Troi was in this episode as well.

Comment

I was never a real big fan of Voyager (as you well know brother Fifth) I know you liked Voyager, tell me, didn't you think 2 Ferengi stuck in Gamma quadrant was a stretch or that Voyager would happen to find them? . I love poking fun at Voyager whenever I can .
                          Now, now, let's be nice. I like Voyager too and I thought it was clever of the writers to have Voyager run into the Ferengi that were lost in the Barzan wormhole from TNG.

I remember that episode, it was called 'Inside Man', it was actually one of my favorites. Three ferengi scam Voyager by sending a phony Barclay to give the crew of Voyager false hope that they are coming home through some kind of wormhole. So Barclay can harvest 7 of 9's nanoprobes because they are worth thousands of times more than anything else. The Dr. and Hologram Barclay clash when the Dr. realizes something is amiss. Now that's a believable Ferengi episode with Voyager involved. Deanna Troi was in this episode as well.
                          A great epidoe IMO.

Comment

Another funny fact is that Ethan Phillips/Neelix played a Ferengi in TNG! I think it was in the episode Menage a Troi when Deana and her mother are kidnapped by a ferengi.

It is interesting how Star Trek and Stargate for that matter used a lot of Earth names and words from different languages that had similar meanings to what they pertained too.
                            I actually take offense to that. To name the ferengi after a word the evidently means "european trader". I think that is offensive to everyone that is of European descent.
                            Imagine if they had named som stupid cavedwelling race "kaffer". I don't imagine that would have been popular among black people. But obiously it is, as usual, no problem poking fun at europeans.

Or another thing, the native americans of Chakotays tribe, settling on another planet to preserve their culture and way of life, imagine if "native europeans" had done the same... most likely they would have had to cancel the franschice...
                            "Well, there's one..."
                            "Darth Vader!"

Comment

Now, now, let's be nice. I like Voyager too and I thought it was clever of the writers to have Voyager run into the Ferengi that were lost in the Barzan wormhole from TNG.
                              LOL...but I don't want to be nice when it comes to Voyager , just kidding I loved a lot of Voyager episodes especially after the beautiful 7 of 9 joined the show, not to mention the great Hirogen warriors

A great epidoe IMO.
                              I just re-watched that episode last night on DVD. It truly was a great episode. It was cool watching Barclay act so out of character.

Comment

I was never a real big fan of Voyager (as you well know brother Fifth) I know you liked Voyager, tell me, didn't you think 2 Ferengi stuck in Gamma quadrant was a stretch or that Voyager would happen to find them? . I love poking fun at Voyager whenever I can

Neelix was very good in that episode.
                                LOL, I am fully aware of your disdain for Voyager, is that why your wife told me that you bought all 7 seasons of Voyager box sets?. I know deep down you like Voyager just like I do.

Great stuff!, Evil Barclay was fantastic and Troi was great in this memorable episode as well!
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X