Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    I embarrassingly didn't realize that the new season was starting today.....for some reason I was thinking that it wasn't coming back for another couple of weeks.
    LOL I just realized it the other day myself Trek Girl I am going to network on to brother Fifth's Tivo so I can watch the last couple episode of Season 4 for a reminder.
    Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
    I would love to have a Tivo...maybe some day. I'm especially jealous of your mention of watching season 3 of Supernatural. This week I finished season 2 of the series and I really, really want to see the third...but I'll have to wait until September for the DVDs to be released.
    Tivo is truly the greatest invention for the television since the television itself. I can tape all my shows in Hi-Def or digital while storing up to almost 1,200 hours of programming. Brother USS Defiant and myself have our Tivo's networked on to brother Fifth's Tivo. This allows all of us to share any and all of the programs either of us has recorded. He has 3 Hi-Def Tivo DVR units each wired together with there own 1 gig outboard Hard-Drive. So he can store up to 4,000 hours of television programming at any time. I am looking at his storage menu and he has the last 2 seasons of Lost, the last 2 seasons of Supernatural, S4 of Atlantis, 3 seasons of Top Chef and Hells Kitchen (all in Hi-Def) just to name a few.

Tivo is very reasonably priced. You can get a basic Tivo DVR for free when you sign up for the monthly service which includes daily downloads of all kinds of information. I believe Tivo charges $11.95 a month (well worth it!, you can throw away all your TV guides because it is all electronic and on your tv screen, which makes finding shows a breeze). Fancier Hi-Def Tivo boxes (brother Fifth has one with a built-in DVD burner) are still reasonably priced at around $300 a unit.

Tivo is also loaded with cool features like smart technology chips that learn what kind of shows you like and will either remind you of them or record them for you without asking without sacrificing your storage space. It has a Season Pass feature where all you have to do is set the particular show once and it will record all upcoming episodes until the season is over.

Comment

1GB for 4000 hours? How the frak does that work? Is everything really compressed? 1GB sounds piddly!

*disclaimer, I know nothing of this technowizardry.

Comment

1GB for 4000 hours? How the frak does that work? Is everything really compressed? 1GB sounds piddly!

*disclaimer, I know nothing of this technowizardry.
        Let me clarify: Each Hi-Def Tivo unit has about 1 Gig of memory built right into the unit itself. And then they offer these outboard hard drives that seamlessly hook up to your existing unit, giving them a total of about 2 Gig's of RAM.

Brother Fifth has 3 Hi-Def Tivo units each with there own individual out board Hard-Drives all connected together. That is how he gets 4000+ hours of programming space. He probably has a total of 6+ Gig's of RAM which is crazy over-kill. But you must understand, that's brother Fifth, he never ever does anything half-azz, plus he's rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
          Let me clarify: Each Hi-Def Tivo unit has about 1 Gig of memory built right into the unit itself. And then they offer these outboard hard drives that seamlessly hook up to your existing unit, giving them a total of about 2 Gig's of RAM.

Brother Fifth has 3 Hi-Def Tivo units each with there own individual out board Hard-Drives all connected together. That is how he gets 4000+ hours of programming space. He probably has a total of 6+ Gig's of RAM which is crazy over-kill. But you must understand, that's brother Fifth, he never ever does anything half-azz, plus he's rich.
          Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
            NOTE: I have had a few requests to hold off Monday's Quiz for 1 week. Which I have decided to do. So the quiz I had planned for this Monday July 14 will be on the following Monday July 21, and then the Best of Both Worlds: Part's I & II "Ringer Quiz" will the following Monday after that on July 28.
            Thank you brother Fifth. The wife and I are headed to Lake Tahoe this weekend for some fishing and relaxing. I will post up my detailed review of Best of Both Worlds: Part 2 on Tuesday when I get back.

Have a great weekend everyone.
            The USS Defiant Rocks!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

When you say gig (as in gigabyte) you really mean terabyte (1000 gigabyte), right? Cause 1 gigabyte could store maybe 1-2 hours of high-def, on a good day

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
              The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
                When you say gig (as in gigabyte) you really mean terabyte (1000 gigabyte), right? Cause 1 gigabyte could store maybe 1-2 hours of high-def, on a good day
                Yeah.....that's what I was thinking. I'm working with a video right now that is over 15 GB.....and it's only selections of scenes from episodes and definitely not high def.

Comment

Tivo is truly the greatest invention for the television since the television itself. I can tape all my shows in Hi-Def or digital while storing up to almost 1,200 hours of programming. Brother USS Defiant and myself have our Tivo's networked on to brother Fifth's Tivo. This allows all of us to share any and all of the programs either of us has recorded. He has 3 Hi-Def Tivo DVR units each wired together with there own 1 gig outboard Hard-Drive. So he can store up to 4,000 hours of television programming at any time. I am looking at his storage menu and he has the last 2 seasons of Lost, the last 2 seasons of Supernatural, S4 of Atlantis, 3 seasons of Top Chef and Hells Kitchen (all in Hi-Def) just to name a few.

Tivo is very reasonably priced. You can get a basic Tivo DVR for free when you sign up for the monthly service which includes daily downloads of all kinds of information. I believe Tivo charges $11.95 a month (well worth it!, you can throw away all your TV guides because it is all electronic and on your tv screen, which makes finding shows a breeze). Fancier Hi-Def Tivo boxes (brother Fifth has one with a built-in DVD burner) are still reasonably priced at around $300 a unit.

Tivo is also loaded with cool features like smart technology chips that learn what kind of shows you like and will either remind you of them or record them for you without asking without sacrificing your storage space. It has a Season Pass feature where all you have to do is set the particular show once and it will record all upcoming episodes until the season is over.
                  I think I'm drooling after that description--I really wish I had one now. Wow. I'll have to check into it, but I am being rather insanely Scrooge-like with my funds as I try to dig myself out of student loan debt before I'm 40. I probably wouldn't have cable at all if my landlord didn't include it free with my very reasonable rent. Netflix is one of the few luxuries I permit myself. *sigh for all the little pleasures I go without *

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                  Thank you brother Fifth. The wife and I are headed to Lake Tahoe this weekend for some fishing and relaxing. I will post up my detailed review of Best of Both Worlds: Part 2 on Tuesday when I get back.

Have a great weekend everyone.
                  Safe travel and a good weekend to all.

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
                    Yeah.....that's what I was thinking. I'm working with a video right now that is over 15 GB.....and it's only selections of scenes from episodes and definitely not high def.
                    LOL, Oye Vai was I tired when I posted earlier, I did mean Terabyte. Brother USS Defiant and I have the Hi-Def Tivo Series 3 unit with a Tivo 500 Gigabyte out-board Hard Drive, which gives us a total of about 1000 hours capacity for standard digital programming and about 100 hours of Hi-Def storage capcity. Which for anyone normal would be more than enough. I have'nt even come close to maxing out my capcity. Then there is the electronic freak from hell with more money than the devil himself Brother Fifth Race, who have no less than four Tivo HD Series 3 units wired all with dual out-board Hard Drives wired to each individual unit (another words he has about 8x the storage capactity as I do). His is a sic set-up!.

Here are a couple pics of what I am talking about.
                    https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do
                    https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxdetai...sku=R64825#top

Comment

Ok I am watching Voyager the 2 part episode Year in Hell, I am really confused, didn't Kess tell the crew all about the Kremin when she was out of flux, so shouldn't they have all that data? B/c the first episode they acted like they had no idea what was going on, can someone explain, please.

Comment

I think I'm drooling after that description--I really wish I had one now. Wow. I'll have to check into it, but I am being rather insanely Scrooge-like with my funds as I try to dig myself out of student loan debt before I'm 40. I probably wouldn't have cable at all if my landlord didn't include it free with my very reasonable rent. Netflix is one of the few luxuries I permit myself. *sigh for all the little pleasures I go without *
                        Yeah. Drooling too, but ugh. Funds. Suddenly I find myself bean-counting. *is just starting the whole student thing* I wish we'd just get a DVR (found out that Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse" and my screenwriting course are at the EXACT same time next January- how's that for ironic? ), I need to lean on my parents about that a bit, but with all this university stuff I feel a bit guilty so I haven't.

I'm confused, what is Netflix exactly?

Comment

Yeah. Drooling too, but ugh. Funds. Suddenly I find myself bean-counting. *is just starting the whole student thing* I wish we'd just get a DVR (found out that Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse" and my screenwriting course are at the EXACT same time next January- how's that for ironic? ), I need to lean on my parents about that a bit, but with all this university stuff I feel a bit guilty so I haven't.

I'm confused, what is Netflix exactly?
                          That is ironic--maybe your prof will be a fan, and you can dissect some episodes in class? Netflix is one of my favorite things in the world; it's basically a rental thru the mail subscription service for DVDs, though I can also stream live a number of films/shows via the internet too. Here's a link to their FAQ page. It's also a social site; a few of my friends are also memebers and we can recommend films to each other and see what each other is watching. I've not been to a rental store since I became a member, the selection is great (and they've ordered one foreign film I asked for), and I once had a minor billing problem--and they gave me a month free. I don't gush about products much, but Netflix is terrific.

Comment

That is ironic--maybe your prof will be a fan, and you can dissect some episodes in class? Netflix is one of my favorite things in the world; it's basically a rental thru the mail subscription service for DVDs, though I can also stream live a number of films/shows via the internet too. Here's a link to their FAQ page. It's also a social site; a few of my friends are also memebers and we can recommend films to each other and see what each other is watching. I've not been to a rental store since I became a member, the selection is great (and they've ordered one foreign film I asked for), and I once had a minor billing problem--and they gave me a month free. I don't gush about products much, but Netflix is terrific.
                            Interesting.....I suspect it's not available in Canada though. I tend to get all my DVDs from the library (free! ), we do have a pretty good selection (loving Twin Peaks at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                              Ok I am watching Voyager the 2 part episode Year in Hell, I am really confused, didn't Kess tell the crew all about the Kremin when she was out of flux, so shouldn't they have all that data? B/c the first episode they acted like they had no idea what was going on, can someone explain, please.
                              That whole episode (as good as it was) was full of plot-holes and gaps that made it seem like it was thrown together in the editing room. I seem to remember reading or hearing about how there was a scene at the beginning of the episode where Janeway remembered Kes's warnings about the Krenim, but it was cut out of the final episode. Which might be an explanation to the confusion?.

Now you got me intrigued Lord Batchi Ball. I am going to dust off my VOY season 4 DVD Box Set and give Year of Hell a re-watch tonight.

Comment

That whole episode (as good as it was) was full of plot-holes and gaps that made it seem like it was thrown together in the editing room. I seem to remember reading or hearing about how there was a scene at the beginning of the episode where Janeway remembered Kes's warnings about the Krenim, but it was cut out of the final episode. Which might be an explanation to the confusion?.

Now you got me intrigued Lord Batchi Ball. I am going to dust off my VOY season 4 DVD Box Set and give Year of Hell a re-watch tonight.
                                Yes that was the root of my confusion, I kept waiting for the moment when tuvok would say, blah blah blah and blow the **** out of them, but it never happened, instead they exchange pleasetries and sip on some tea, and all the while I'm sitting hear going WTF!!! what about!!! what the hell!! But with your explanation it all makes sense, editors.

Comment

Working...
                                X