Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    I'm ashamed to say it's not ringing many bells. Did Odo join the link in this one? I'll look forward to your review.
    It might have been one of those episodes that Spike skipped and you missed when you were following the series in order. - If I remember right Spike skipped quite a few episodes by not showing DS9 on Friday's, then skipping the order by one episode, when it picked back up on Monday (remember that Trek_Girl). Which means there are a handful of great episodes you haven't seen yet.

Here a brief synopsis of The Search Part One
    Preparing for possible invasion by the Jem'Hadar, the soldiers of the Dominion, Kira determines that Deep Space Nine lacks the firepower to defend itself — until Sisko arrives in an experimental vessel called the Defiant, a warship originally designed to fight the Borg. His plan is to travel with his officers into the Gamma Quadrant and locate the "Founders," the unseen leaders of the Dominion, with the purpose of demonstrating the Federation's peaceful intent. If this is impossible, the presence of the Defiant with all of its weaponry will show Sisko's determination to defend against an invasion. Along for the mission is T'Rul, a Romulan with a cloaking device, which will render the Defiant invisible from the Jem'Hadar during the search. Guarding the device is Lt. Commander Eddington of Starfleet Security, who has been ordered to assume Odo's duties. Realizing he is being relieved, an angry Odo resigns.

Meanwhile, Sisko coerces Quark into joining the mission because of his past dealings with the Karemma, a race that lives under Dominion rule. Odo also comes aboard the Defiant at the request of the Bajoran government, but shows to be more edgy than normal. After entering the Gamma Quadrant, T'Rul engages the cloaking device, allowing the Defiant to barely escape detection from two Jem'Hadar ships.

Ornithar, a Karemma official, is brought aboard the Defiant and reveals to Quark and Sisko that a race called the Vorta has ordered all communications for the Dominion directed to a relay station on Callinon VII. Odo's curiosity draws him strangely toward starcharts of the sector, specifically those of the Omarion Nebula. Quark then disembarks while the Defiant heads for the Callinon system. Once there, Dax and O'Brien transport to the unmanned facility. But just as Dax notices that most of the outgoing transmissions are being sent to specific coordinates, her communications to Sisko are cut off. With Jem'Hadar ships on the way, he reluctantly leaves the two behind and orders a course set for the coordinates.

Kira confronts Odo in his quarters to discuss his odd behavior. He confides to her about feeling a mysterious compulsion to travel to the Omarion Nebula — and is convinced that he must go there immediately. Kira tries to make sense of this, but they are interrupted when the Defiant is attacked by three Jem'Hadar vessels.

The Defiant is pummeled by the onslaught, and is boarded by Jem'Hadar soldiers, who overwhelm the bridge crew. Kira and Odo defend themselves, but Kira is shot and falls unconscious. She awakens aboard a shuttlecraft with Odo, who has left the Defiant dead in space. His course — for the Omarion Nebula ...

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
    Oh, it's brilliant. I've seen it twice now and just couldn't stop smiling the whole time during both viewings, there's really nothing else like it on tv- if you like Tim Burton movies you'll probably like it.
    Sweet!, I like it already. Thank's for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
      It might have been one of those episodes that Spike skipped and you missed when you were following the series in order. - If I remember right Spike skipped quite a few episodes by not showing DS9 on Friday's, then skipping the order by one episode, when it picked back up on Monday (remember that Trek_Girl). Which means there are a handful of great episodes you haven't seen yet.

Here a brief synopsis of The Search Part One
      Preparing for possible invasion by the Jem'Hadar, the soldiers of the Dominion, Kira determines that Deep Space Nine lacks the firepower to defend itself — until Sisko arrives in an experimental vessel called the Defiant, a warship originally designed to fight the Borg. His plan is to travel with his officers into the Gamma Quadrant and locate the "Founders," the unseen leaders of the Dominion, with the purpose of demonstrating the Federation's peaceful intent. If this is impossible, the presence of the Defiant with all of its weaponry will show Sisko's determination to defend against an invasion. Along for the mission is T'Rul, a Romulan with a cloaking device, which will render the Defiant invisible from the Jem'Hadar during the search. Guarding the device is Lt. Commander Eddington of Starfleet Security, who has been ordered to assume Odo's duties. Realizing he is being relieved, an angry Odo resigns.

Meanwhile, Sisko coerces Quark into joining the mission because of his past dealings with the Karemma, a race that lives under Dominion rule. Odo also comes aboard the Defiant at the request of the Bajoran government, but shows to be more edgy than normal. After entering the Gamma Quadrant, T'Rul engages the cloaking device, allowing the Defiant to barely escape detection from two Jem'Hadar ships.

Ornithar, a Karemma official, is brought aboard the Defiant and reveals to Quark and Sisko that a race called the Vorta has ordered all communications for the Dominion directed to a relay station on Callinon VII. Odo's curiosity draws him strangely toward starcharts of the sector, specifically those of the Omarion Nebula. Quark then disembarks while the Defiant heads for the Callinon system. Once there, Dax and O'Brien transport to the unmanned facility. But just as Dax notices that most of the outgoing transmissions are being sent to specific coordinates, her communications to Sisko are cut off. With Jem'Hadar ships on the way, he reluctantly leaves the two behind and orders a course set for the coordinates.

Kira confronts Odo in his quarters to discuss his odd behavior. He confides to her about feeling a mysterious compulsion to travel to the Omarion Nebula — and is convinced that he must go there immediately. Kira tries to make sense of this, but they are interrupted when the Defiant is attacked by three Jem'Hadar vessels.

The Defiant is pummeled by the onslaught, and is boarded by Jem'Hadar soldiers, who overwhelm the bridge crew. Kira and Odo defend themselves, but Kira is shot and falls unconscious. She awakens aboard a shuttlecraft with Odo, who has left the Defiant dead in space. His course — for the Omarion Nebula ...
      Sweet!, I like it already. Thank's for the tip.
      Ah thanks- I've definitely seen it, I only missed bits of season seven with that whole scheduling thing.

This is starting to come back- was the part two of this the one where Weyoun was shot near the end? So many episodes it's hard to keep track.

Comment

I'm assuming that The Search Part 1 is from Season 2, right?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Falcon View Post
          I'm assuming that The Search Part 1 is from Season 2, right?
          The Search Parts One & Two are the premiere episodes that kick-off season III, - they finish a 3 episode arc started with the season II ending episode The Jem'Hadar.

Great seeing you back on GateWorld and the superior thread brother DF. Is it any coincidence that you show up on the Shark's opening night. Go Shark's!. We are so loaded with talent this season, that if we don't win the Stanley Cup, it is going to be a big let-down.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
            The Search Parts One & Two are the premiere episodes that kick-off season III, - they finish a 3 episode arc started with the season II ending episode The Jem'Hadar.

Great seeing you back on GateWorld and the superior thread brother DF. Is it any coincidence that you show up on the Shark's opening night. Go Shark's!. We are so loaded with talent this season, that if we don't win the Stanley Cup, it is going to be a big let-down.
            I think it's purely coincidental. Go Sharks! It's interesting to see that the Sharks have changed their logo after all these years. I think the new logo is an improvement. I love the touch of teal on the shark!

Great to see you again, Brother Fifth. How are you doing?

Are you ready for Fleetweek? It's this weekend! I'm going to bring my digital camera and get some good shots of the action. I'll be standing at the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge where the flag pole is. Where will you be?

Ah, ok. That's right! The Jem'Hadar was the season 2 finale. I remember now. Gosh, with all this hype about Transformers this summer I've taken my eyes off of DS9.
            sigpic

Comment

I think it's purely coincidental. Go Sharks! It's interesting to see that the Sharks have changed their logo after all these years. I think the new logo is an improvement. I love the touch of teal on the shark!
              The new uni's are pretty cool, they kept the best parts while adding a couple new and small changes. We lost to Edmonton in a shoot-out last night after Thornton scored a goal with 11 seconds left in regulation to tie the game. We got the Canucks tonight, Lady Trek's team.
              Originally posted by Dark Falcon
              Great to see you again, Brother Fifth. How are you doing?

Are you ready for Fleetweek? It's this weekend! I'm going to bring my digital camera and get some good shots of the action. I'll be standing at the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge where the flag pole is. Where will you be?
              Life is good my friend, summer is over and business is getting back to normal. I watched the Blue Angels practice yesterday from my office on pier 47, which is right on the bay and in the middle of where the Blue Angels do there stunts. I have seen them perform every year since they started back in the 1980's. I will see them practice again today and then I am off of work for the weekend.
              Ah, ok. That's right! The Jem'Hadar was the season 2 finale. I remember now. Gosh, with all this hype about Transformers this summer I've taken my eyes off of DS9.
              Transformers come out on DVD in 2 weeks. Is it any good?.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Go Sharks!
                I'm still bummed out that Ottawa didn't win last year. San Jose isn't my favourite team, but I like them more than most of the other ones, so I can't say that I'd be sad if they won. Unless they beat Ottawa to get the cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  Ah thanks- I've definitely seen it, I only missed bits of season seven with that whole scheduling thing.
                  That's right, Spike only started cutting Fridays out and skipping episodes when it was airing season 7.
                  Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  This is starting to come back- was the part two of this the one where Weyoun was shot near the end? So many episodes it's hard to keep track.
                  LOL, you are getting warmer Trek_Girl. Remember this is the first encounter with the Dominion. - Weyoun wasn't introduced until season 4 in the episode To the Death. Combs did appear earlier as Brunt and Tiron.

Here is the synopsis for The Search, Part Two .... Odo and Kira have landed on a lone planet in the Omarion Nebula, which they have discovered is Odo's homeworld. A Female Shapeshifter encourages him to begin the slow process of learning who he is, and discovering the bond they share, known as the "great link." Odo is pleased to be reunited with his people, but they don't like Kira because she is a "solid" lifeform. Meanwhile, forced to abandon the Defiant during the Jem'Hadar attack days before, Sisko and Bashir are traveling alone in a shuttle when O'Brien and Dax, who have met the Founders, rescue them. Upon returning to the space station, Sisko learns that the Federation is negotiating a peace treaty with the Dominion, represented by one of the Founders, Borath.

When Sisko finds out that the Romulans have been excluded from the peace talks, he expresses his concern to Admiral Nechayev, but she dismisses his fears. On the other side of the wormhole, Kira is unable to contact Sisko because of interference from a hidden power source, while Odo struggles with his "lessons" at shapeshifting. Later, the Female Shapeshifter tells Odo that they came to this secret planet a long time ago, as a result of persecution at the hands of the Solids, then reveals he was sent as an infant to explore the galaxy, then return home.

While looking for Odo, Kira discovers a locked door — something for which shapeshifters would have no use. This arouses her curiosity. Back on the space station, a fight erupts between O'Brien and a Jem'Hadar soldier because the newcomers have been given free reign. Sisko then discovers that the Federation has signed the treaty, agreeing to give control of the Bajoran sector — including the station and the wormhole — to the Dominion. Over Sisko's objections, he and his crew will be reassigned.

A happy Odo tells Kira he has decided to remain with his people, but Kira asks him to help her get to the hidden power source before she departs. He is intrigued when Kira reveals it is behind the locked door she has found. Meanwhile, Jem'Hadar soldiers shoot Romulan officer T'Rul in cold blood, then attack an outraged Sisko. Deciding that matters have gotten out-of-hand, Sisko then bands with Garak, Dax, Bashir, and O'Brien on a suicide mission to steal a Runabout, collapse the wormhole, and keep the Dominion on its side of the galaxy forever.

Garak is killed while Sisko and the others escape. Once aboard the Runabout, they fire on the wormhole, collapsing it in a blinding explosion. Meanwhile, Odo unlocks the mysterious door, where he and Kira find Jem'Hadar soldiers waiting. The two are taken to an interrogation room where Sisko and the Defiant crew sit with their eyes closed, devices attached to their heads. Borath is there, revealing that he is really a Vorta, experimenting on the crew to determine how much they will sacrifice to avoid war with the Dominion. The Female Shapeshifter then arrives, disclosing that her people are the mysterious Founders. Saddened that his own race is responsible for so much death and misery, Odo demands that his friends be released, then chooses to return with them. Surprised that their experiences since the Defiant attack didn't really happen, Sisko and the crew head back to the station. Knowing the truth about his people, Odo realizes now that, even though he may feel like an outsider, his place is with his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                    The new uni's are pretty cool, they kept the best parts while adding a couple new and small changes. We lost to Edmonton in a shoot-out last night after Thornton scored a goal with 11 seconds left in regulation to tie the game. We got the Canucks tonight, Lady Trek's team.
                    Life is good my friend, summer is over and business is getting back to normal. I watched the Blue Angels practice yesterday from my office on pier 47, which is right on the bay and in the middle of where the Blue Angels do there stunts. I have seen them perform every year since they started back in the 1980's. I will see them practice again today and then I am off of work for the weekend.
                    Transformers come out on DVD in 2 weeks. Is it any good?.
                    Wow, I didn't know that the Canucks were Lady Trek's favorite team.

Glad to hear that things are going well for you.

Transformers was an awesome movie. Great story, great special effects, great actors (even though the acting was a bit corny at times), and an amazing musical score. The DVD comes out on October 16th. This is the kind of movie that we need, particularly in a time where there are some lame movies out there like Chuck and Larry, Superbad, Hot Rod. etc.

Now, on DS9, I love how well the starships are animated in later seasons. Particularly the Romulan ships. Those things are beautiful.
                    sigpic

Comment

What's up DF, always good to see homeboy on the superior thread, you still living the good life in Marin my friend?.
                      Wow, I didn't know that the Canucks were Lady Trek's favorite team.
                      The Sharks are putting the smackdown on the Canucks right now . Roenick scored two goals in the first period.
                      Transformers was an awesome movie. Great story, great special effects, great actors (even though the acting was a bit corny at times), and an amazing musical score. The DVD comes out on October 16th.
                      I pre-ordered a copy of it on Hi-Def DVD. I am looking forward to it.
                      Now, on DS9, I love how well the starships are animated in later seasons. Particularly the Romulan ships. Those things are beautiful.
                      I agree!. The special effects got progressively better with each season of DS9. And by the time seasons 5 and especially 6 & 7 came around, the special effects had gotten signifigantly better.
                      The USS Defiant Rocks!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

So, Trek Girl, how did you like Torchwood yesterday? I watched it (after watching it from... undisclosed sources ... previously, and they cut out some of the best scenes. Like the part where Cptn Jack talks about how he can taste contresptives in the rain ("God I love this planet! Well, at least I know I'm not going to get pregnant now.").

I was kinda sad. I knew CBC would cut some things because they insert 14 minutes worth of ads into every hour, but man. Oh they also cut out Owen's gay scene too. If they are going to try and cut out every gay scene in the show they are going to have one heck of a hard time. Especially in the 2nd last episode, and the ... 4th episode I think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                          So, Trek Girl, how did you like Torchwood yesterday? I watched it (after watching it from... undisclosed sources ... previously, and they cut out some of the best scenes. Like the part where Cptn Jack talks about how he can taste contresptives in the rain ("God I love this planet! Well, at least I know I'm not going to get pregnant now.").

I was kinda sad. I knew CBC would cut some things because they insert 14 minutes worth of ads into every hour, but man. Oh they also cut out Owen's gay scene too. If they are going to try and cut out every gay scene in the show they are going to have one heck of a hard time. Especially in the 2nd last episode, and the ... 4th episode I think it is.
                          Is that a regular practice of CBC - to cut out so-called controversial scenes?. I thought Canada was more open than that, besides those scenes are not really that sexual or really that big of a deal.
                          The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

DS9 Season III Episode Discussion
                            Episode #47 The Search, Part Two

The wrap-up of one of the most ambitious action/adventure and character development episodes on DS9 seems to be working okay for its first four acts but then jettisons all plausibility and respectability with a half-azz ending. And, unfortunately, by the time the episode ends, we're left puzzled as to how Odo feels about his experience - a plot line that has a surprising amount of ambiguity. Fortunately, future episodes promise to address Odo's experience.

Minus its cheat ending, "The Search, Part Two" might have been a worthwhile character installment, because the performances are compelling and the dialogue is interesting. Unfortunately, the ending is everything, because it states that everything before it never happened. That just won't fly.

On the upside, Garak's presence supplies some well-timed laughs. Also, Kira and Odo's sibling-like affection for each other is genuinely moving, demonstrated here with some wonderful scenes. Most likely, "The Search" will mark a change in the way Odo looks at himself, others, and life in general.

10 Star Rating System
                            MY RATING: 6 stars
                            The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post

I saw it, barely! I was out all day yesterday and got home just four minutes before it started. Really liked it- then went and watched a.....certain video sharing site version, and realized just how much they cut out.

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                              Is that a regular practice of CBC - to cut out so-called controversial scenes?. I thought Canada was more open than that, besides those scenes are not really that sexual or really that big of a deal.
                              No, I don't think so, they just have to edit out about eight minutes of each episode, so eventually any scenes that aren't directly involved in the plot are going to have to go. They also cut things like Jack standing on the top of some building, and what seems to be most of the Gwen's boyfriend's scenes- I think we only saw him briefly once in our version.

As for "The Search" it started coming back when in the end the synopsis mentioned it to be a simulation. Now I sort-of remember.

Also, I completley missed the Canucks game because of Torchwood, do I want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                                That's right, Spike only started cutting Fridays out and skipping episodes when it was airing season 7.

LOL, you are getting warmer Trek_Girl. Remember this is the first encounter with the Dominion. - Weyoun wasn't introduced until season 4 in the episode To the Death. Combs did appear earlier as Brunt and Tiron.

Here is the synopsis for The Search, Part Two .... Odo and Kira have landed on a lone planet in the Omarion Nebula, which they have discovered is Odo's homeworld. A Female Shapeshifter encourages him to begin the slow process of learning who he is, and discovering the bond they share, known as the "great link." Odo is pleased to be reunited with his people, but they don't like Kira because she is a "solid" lifeform. Meanwhile, forced to abandon the Defiant during the Jem'Hadar attack days before, Sisko and Bashir are traveling alone in a shuttle when O'Brien and Dax, who have met the Founders, rescue them. Upon returning to the space station, Sisko learns that the Federation is negotiating a peace treaty with the Dominion, represented by one of the Founders, Borath.

When Sisko finds out that the Romulans have been excluded from the peace talks, he expresses his concern to Admiral Nechayev, but she dismisses his fears. On the other side of the wormhole, Kira is unable to contact Sisko because of interference from a hidden power source, while Odo struggles with his "lessons" at shapeshifting. Later, the Female Shapeshifter tells Odo that they came to this secret planet a long time ago, as a result of persecution at the hands of the Solids, then reveals he was sent as an infant to explore the galaxy, then return home.

While looking for Odo, Kira discovers a locked door — something for which shapeshifters would have no use. This arouses her curiosity. Back on the space station, a fight erupts between O'Brien and a Jem'Hadar soldier because the newcomers have been given free reign. Sisko then discovers that the Federation has signed the treaty, agreeing to give control of the Bajoran sector — including the station and the wormhole — to the Dominion. Over Sisko's objections, he and his crew will be reassigned.

A happy Odo tells Kira he has decided to remain with his people, but Kira asks him to help her get to the hidden power source before she departs. He is intrigued when Kira reveals it is behind the locked door she has found. Meanwhile, Jem'Hadar soldiers shoot Romulan officer T'Rul in cold blood, then attack an outraged Sisko. Deciding that matters have gotten out-of-hand, Sisko then bands with Garak, Dax, Bashir, and O'Brien on a suicide mission to steal a Runabout, collapse the wormhole, and keep the Dominion on its side of the galaxy forever.

Garak is killed while Sisko and the others escape. Once aboard the Runabout, they fire on the wormhole, collapsing it in a blinding explosion. Meanwhile, Odo unlocks the mysterious door, where he and Kira find Jem'Hadar soldiers waiting. The two are taken to an interrogation room where Sisko and the Defiant crew sit with their eyes closed, devices attached to their heads. Borath is there, revealing that he is really a Vorta, experimenting on the crew to determine how much they will sacrifice to avoid war with the Dominion. The Female Shapeshifter then arrives, disclosing that her people are the mysterious Founders. Saddened that his own race is responsible for so much death and misery, Odo demands that his friends be released, then chooses to return with them. Surprised that their experiences since the Defiant attack didn't really happen, Sisko and the crew head back to the station. Knowing the truth about his people, Odo realizes now that, even though he may feel like an outsider, his place is with his friends.
                                Hello everyone! I feel as if the semester is finally under control so....

This was one of my favorite episodes. It told us who the founders were (odo's people), how odo got separated (sent away over 300 years ago), the lengths the dominion would go to find out information (even lying to Odo), and even how strongly Sisko and the others felt about allowing the Dominion to have Bajor and the wormhole. It nicely set the stage for the dominion war to come and how the founders kept trying to manipulate their way to the upper hand. I was always fascinated about how manipulative the founders were, from their genetically engineered soldiers and vorta to the way they tried to use old disputes within the alpha quadrant as a way to gain a foothold there. somehow their self-righteous attitude that they must conquer to protect themselves falls very flat - even to Odo. all in all a very superior episode!

Comment

Working...
                                X