No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw this on the front page on my morning San Francisco Chronicle - The Gladstone Institute/Foundation (which is a reasearch center on the campus of UCSF-University of San Francisco) received a $5 million donation from a fund the late Gene Roddenberry set-up..

The Gladstone Institute will build a new Stem-Cell Research Center on the UCSF campus over the next 2 years - which will be called "The Roddenberry Center for Stem Cell Biology and Medicine" The guy has been dead for years, yet he is still making an impact.

Comment

I was YouTube the other day and found a bunch of Star Trek music videos that I ended up downloaded and thought I would share some of the ones that I thought were worth sharing.

Here are 2 DS9 ones and 1 that has DS9 clips along with other ST series and movies:

Star Trek DS9 - Hallelujah

I Still Miss You - Worf and Jadzia – This one is for any Jadzia/Worf fans on the thread

Star Trek The Federation’s Requiem

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

^ Nice
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
          The Visitor episode is easily DS9's most moving and poignant character piece ever (not to mention one of the best Trek episodes from any series or movie). Seeing Sisko phased out of existence is somewhat unsettling (what a wonderfully potent and disturbing scene). We have nothing but instant empathy for Jake, who becomes lost and alone on a station without his father. The memorial aboard the station, the Bajorans' loss of hope after the death of their Emissary, the declining relationship between the Federation and the Klingons - all these details are wonderfully realized examples of life on DS9 without its Captain.
          Well said brother Fifth. The wife and I gave The Visitor a rewatch last night. I usually don't like to watch that episode because of my own personal issues with my father, but it had been a long while.

This episode is so wonderfully written and has such poignant, moving details that it literally soars. We see many new things about Sisko and Jake-about their lives and their relationship. Above all, this episode stresses the bond between a father and a son, and contains family issues that many people can relate to.

Michael Taylor has delivered one of the series' best stories, and David Livingston's direction is stunning. The flashback elements are wonderfully done and the performances are about as perfect as they could be. The editing and music is all in place, causing scenes to flow terrifically together.

Comment

Originally posted by Weyoun View Post
            This episode is so wonderfully written and has such poignant, moving details that it literally soars. We see many new things about Sisko and Jake-about their lives and their relationship. Above all, this episode stresses the bond between a father and a son, and contains family issues that many people can relate to.

Michael Taylor has delivered one of the series' best stories, and David Livingston's direction is stunning. The flashback elements are wonderfully done and the performances are about as perfect as they could be. The editing and music is all in place, causing scenes to flow terrifically together.
            Indeed, and well said brother Weyoun. The Visitor is definitely one of the best and most moving scifi storylines ever created.

Did you notice that the future crew of the USS Defiant were all wearing the same futuristic Starfleet uniforms that we first saw in the TNG finale All Good Things....

What was strange was the first time we see future Nog he is wearing an old school TNG uniform.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Did you notice in the episode The Visitor that the future crew of the USS Defiant were all wearing the same futuristic Starfleet uniforms that we first saw in the TNG finale All Good Things....

What was strange was the first time we see future Nog he is wearing an old school TNG uniform.
              Hmm, now that you mention it, that does seem kind of strange. I do remember Nog in the first flashback he appears is wearing one of those iconic Gold Starfleet Uniforms that we saw Picard and crew wear on the Enterprise.

I rewatched The Visitor a couple of weeks ago and I did take notice of 2 things that were kind of cool...

- Tony Todd, who plays the older Jake in this episode, also plays Kurn, Worf's brother

- Rachel Robinson, who plays Melanie in this episode, is actually Andrew Robinson's daughter (Andrew Robinson plays Garak)

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                Hmm, now that you mention it, that does seem kind of strange. I do remember Nog in the first flashback he appears is wearing one of those iconic Gold Starfleet Uniforms that we saw Picard and crew wear on the Enterprise.
                It's one of those things that seems strange now because it was done at a time before the new uniforms were introduced. Oddly enough, it's also DS9's own inconsistency with uniforms that makes it believable he'd wear a classic uniform as the TNG variant was still being used even after the First Contact uniform was introduced with scenes like the peace treaty with the Dominion and Bajor's first attempt (before Sisko stopped them) at officially joining the Federation.

sigpic

Comment

DS9 is not really that inconsistent with its uniforms. DS9 Personnel always wore the DS9 uniform. (coloured shoulders/grey undershirt) while TNG people and guest stars often wore the TNG jumpsuit.

This is because of the idea that DS9 crew wore a 'spacestation' crewers uniform where the Starship crew wore a starship variant.

Generations and Voyager are the ones that made it inconsistent.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                    DS9 is not really that inconsistent with its uniforms. DS9 Personnel always wore the DS9 uniform. (coloured shoulders/grey undershirt) while TNG people and guest stars often wore the TNG jumpsuit.

This is because of the idea that DS9 crew wore a 'spacestation' crewers uniform where the Starship crew wore a starship variant.

Generations and Voyager are the ones that made it inconsistent.
                    Generations and Voyager didn't make it inconsistent. TNG started with two uniforms, the full body and that skort outfit. By season three the more common TNG era uniform was introduced, then DS9 introduced the new uniforms which at the time could have been considered space station uniforms as the crew of the Enterprise (and even the Odyssey at the end of season 2 plus a few other) were still wearing their standard stuff. It wasn't until Voyager and Generations that we saw the DS9 uniform become standard for everyone but there were still instances of people wearing the old ones.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                      It's one of those things that seems strange now because it was done at a time before the new uniforms were introduced. Oddly enough, it's also DS9's own inconsistency with uniforms that makes it believable he'd wear a classic uniform as the TNG variant was still being used even after the First Contact uniform was introduced with scenes like the peace treaty with the Dominion and Bajor's first attempt (before Sisko stopped them) at officially joining the Federation.
                      Well said brother SB. Personally I like the TNG era Gold uni's, it reminds me of Trek's re-birth.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I re-watched the uber-good season III episode Defiant last night... There are a number of intriguing scenes at the tracking facility as the uninformed Dukat slowly begins to suspect the Obsidian Order may be plotting behind the back of the Central Command. Like in "The Maquis," Sisko and Dukat find themselves working together, albeit under different agendas. The real payoff IMHO - is how the sequence of events brings both to realize where the real threat lies-not with Riker in the Defiant, but with the Order's suspected use of forbidden power, who has apparently been building illegal military equipment.

This leads Dukat to strike a deal: In exchange for the sensor logs the Defiant has obtained on the mysterious Orious System, the Cardassians will release the Defiant and its crew, less Riker who must be sentenced to death. Sisko works with Dukat to reduce the sentence to life imprisonment.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Well said brother SB. Personally I like the TNG era Gold uni's, it reminds me of Trek's re-birth.
                          I've always been a fan of the red version. What I do like about the uniforms is how TNG was also responsible for the DS9 uniforms as they were introduced early in TNG (around the time the series settled on it's standard uniform design) as Cadet outfits, minus the grey shirt. Personally I'd hope they'd find a use for the Khan era uniform colours. I thought white (Kirk) and orange (Savik) looked cool. White looked cool on the Torres/Paris/Kim flight suits.

sigpic

Comment

I re-watched the uber-good season III episode Defiant last night... There are a number of intriguing scenes at the tracking facility as the uninformed Dukat slowly begins to suspect the Obsidian Order may be plotting behind the back of the Central Command. Like in "The Maquis," Sisko and Dukat find themselves working together, albeit under different agendas. The real payoff IMHO - is how the sequence of events brings both to realize where the real threat lies-not with Riker in the Defiant, but with the Order's suspected use of forbidden power, who has apparently been building illegal military equipment.
                            Defiant is definitely one of Ronald D Moores finest scripts. Cliff Bole's direction is also wonderfully paced, balancing a number of character scenes between Dukat and Sisko with the suspenseful Hunt-for-Red-October-inspired plot. While both Sisko and Dukat stay perfectly in character, there's a personal respect for each other that these two begin to discover (something that surfaced in "Maquis" which also works well here). The writers also manage to work in a tad of the inner-character conflict of the duplicate Riker--a little bit of identity crisis that wasn't sufficiently addressed in TNG's "Second Chances."

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              Personally I'd hope they'd find a use for the Khan era uniform colours. I thought white (Kirk) and orange (Savik) looked cool. White looked cool on the Torres/Paris/Kim flight suits.
                              I rewatched The Wrath of Kahn recently, and those uniforms were very cool!. Personally I like the uniforms we saw in Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country. Those scenes with all the Starfleet delegates in the conference hall are incredible - not only with the variety of uniforms and outfits, but for the vast array of different alien species.

Comment

Only four episodes left of season four now, definitely not what I had in mind when I saw the finale of season three... Thought it would have more to do with the story lines from season three but still great season after all, my favorites episodes from season four are the visitor and the one where quark, rom and nog are trapped on earth in the forties! It was so funny... I loved it overall!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X