Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
    I ordered season 6 and the DVDs didn't work, second set of season 6 didn't work either. Both got returned.
    That's odd, what do you think happened? I've never heard of a nice set of DVD's not working like that. Season 6 is awesome too

Wonder when these will be released in Blu-Ray? Anyone know, I couldn't find anything in a brief search.
    sigpic

Comment

I ordered season 6 and the DVDs didn't work, second set of season 6 didn't work either. Both got returned.
      Where did you order them from? Could the problem have been region coding?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
        Wonder when these will be released in Blu-Ray? Anyone know, I couldn't find anything in a brief search.
        TNG on BD is perpetually a great big question mark. I gather that the film recording plus model shots were composited onto video (rather than being preserved in their native high resolutions), which is considerably lower resolution than HD. Meaning they'd have to remaster every last second of seven seasons of show--long, tedious, expensive work for a big question mark in how much it'll earn back.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          TNG on BD is perpetually a great big question mark. I gather that the film recording plus model shots were composited onto video (rather than being preserved in their native high resolutions), which is considerably lower resolution than HD. Meaning they'd have to remaster every last second of seven seasons of show--long, tedious, expensive work for a big question mark in how much it'll earn back.
          True, but it seems like Star Trek DVD's are something that will sell for decades to come each time a new movie or new series (hopefully) comes out. DVD's are slowly going the way of the VHS. They don't even sell non-HD TV's anymore so you'd think they'd phase out non-HD content eventually. Makes sense to me, but I know they need a good financial incentive and maybe they are planning the release for a time in the future when interest is high. Hopefully...
          sigpic

Comment

That's odd, what do you think happened? I've never heard of a nice set of DVD's not working like that. Season 6 is awesome too

I was all excited to watch it again.

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            Where did you order them from? Could the problem have been region coding?
            Amazon. Region coding was my first thought too, but it was just really weird when the second set didn't work either.
            sigpic

Comment

Amazon. Region coding was my first thought too, but it was just really weird when the second set didn't work either.
              Was it Amazon who sold them, or were they sold by someone else through Amazon?

Normally it should say "Ships from and sold by Amazon", but if it's just being sold by Amazon it should say "Sold by <Company Name> and Fulfilled by Amazon.". It may seem stupid but it can really help you determine what the problem was, another forum member got Doctor Who DVD's that were sold by someone else on Amazon and they were fake.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              I'd bet my money on a few Fan Collections being done. Rather than worry about focusing on seven seasons of one show, they could do a dozen or episodes from several shows and see what people think. The Borg Collection for example would be a good start. It would even allow them to have the opportunity to recreate the Battle of Wolf 359 and that alone if done right could be a big seller.

True, but it seems like Star Trek DVD's are something that will sell for decades to come each time a new movie or new series (hopefully) comes out. DVD's are slowly going the way of the VHS. They don't even sell non-HD TV's anymore so you'd think they'd phase out non-HD content eventually. Makes sense to me, but I know they need a good financial incentive and maybe they are planning the release for a time in the future when interest is high. Hopefully...
              The problem with getting rid of non-HD formats is a lot of what's on DVD's still needs to be redone for Blu-Ray. DVD was genius because it didn't actually improve the quality over VHS, it just maintained the quality that VHS was losing. As a result, you can't just slap a lot of stuff on Blu-Ray without some work done to it. Sadly, people have taken the opportunity to do that, but Star Trek is something that needs to be done right. I haven't had the chance to watch Trek in HD so can't really judge it, but Babylon 5 for example on my HDTV through PS3 (which upscales the picture) looks absolutely horrible. Since TNG goes back 5 years before that, I can't see it looking any better without a lot of work.
              Last edited by SaberBlade; 23 July 2011, 06:21 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Saberblade - They were Amazon. I've bought a lot of stuff that was through vendors and fulfillment and never have had any problems with it. About half of my DS9 seasons are used. It was just a really weird out of the blue kind of thing. I got a refund the second time and decided to purchase them some other time
                sigpic

Comment

Just watched The Emissary Decided not to do a big huge star trek re-watch, would take too long, and just Deep Space Nine, as in I never watched it really, I watched all the pilot of every star trek show though and I have to say The Emissary is by far the most
                  entertaining one, thanks sis for the complete set
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                    Just watched The Emissary, I watched all the pilot of every star trek show though and I have to say The Emissary is by far the most entertaining one
                    I could not agree more Spider. Emissary is IMHO the best "pilot" episode from any Trek series (and one of the best Trek episodes period)
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Just watched The Emissary Decided not to do a big huge star trek re-watch, would take too long, and just Deep Space Nine, as in I never watched it really, I watched all the pilot of every star trek show though and I have to say The Emissary is by far the most
                      I found it to be a lot of expositions. I rated it as the second to last as premiers go.

1: Caretaker:
                      The most cohesive plot of the series openers. It not only establishes all the Characters but set the stage for the drama and climax to come. The pacing is really good. Every other scene something is happening. They really did a lot with a short amount of time and made the best of time available. It also had the best acting of all the series. The Music was excellent

ENTERPRISE
                      PAINS me to say that ENT was one of the better premiers in Trek. While it did little for me it was very well constructed. My interest level just wasn't there but the exposition was sync with First Contact and it's own new characters very well setting our stage as well as the problem. It was neat and clean except for the bad acting.

DEEP SPACE NINE
                      It Dragged. 90% of the 2 hours seemed like exposition but the reality is that the danger never really materialized untill the last 20 minutes which means we have a lack of suspense in Emissary. That also means that the characters have the duty of holding up the plot. The most interesting aspect of premier was the Borg Picard-Sisko dynamic which they didn't really spend enough time on, then again they still had to set up all these other characters. But aswell they could have made a bigger deal salvaging the station and giving a busier atmosphere instead it felt empty dark and depressing...sort of like SGU This is one premier that could have used some dynamic cinematography to give an other wise humdrum introductions a bit more zest. Music could have been better to improve the mood.

The NEXT GENERATION
                      If it wasn't for the bad actin on Gates and Marina's part this would be over DS9. This premier succeed in giving us a sense of wonder for the 24th century. Really good Cinematography angles were used to introduce Picard and the Enterprise and the Music was spot on. This is one of the few premiers where the enemy is given a larger center stage and it pays off. It's a bit corny (it is the 80's) and it becomes a bit dated, but while it succeed in the wonder and shiney newness and suspense the danger never really materialized fully in the with the climax and that's because it was more of an exploration episode so it could be considered a bit anti-climatic.

Star Trek
                      It's so hard rating a 60 show but Where No Man Has Gone Before was decent. The pacing as proper. The acting was decent too but the plot itself was a bit out there with crossing some barrier and super mind powerz felt comic bookish especially with the over the top music.

Star Trek
                      The Cage was perhaps the worse premier in Trek. The pacing was slow and the point of it all becomes a bit vague. They spend most of their time trying to get Pike back and Pike spends most of his time in a cell in those OH SO FAMILIAR ILLUSIONARY Habits that Trek does now so often. This has to be the most anti climatic of ending...a good out-witting is clever but an entire episode spent in a cell just doesn't live up to the Epicness a Premier should be.

Comment

I said it in the "What Episode did I watch today" thread... But this Dr. Bashir actor kinda reminds a bit of Gaius Baltar.. a tiny little bit ^^ he is by far my favorite along with Quark and Odo.
                        sigpic

Comment

I said it in the "What Episode did I watch today" thread... But this Dr. Bashir actor kinda reminds a bit of Gaius Baltar.. a tiny little bit ^^ he is by far my favorite along with Quark and Odo.
                          I've been saying that for years and everyone thinks I'm loony! I even thought at first when watching BSG that it was Alexander Siddiq and was looking for his name in the credits
                          "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Originally posted by Huaracocha View Post
                            I've been saying that for years and everyone thinks I'm loony! I even thought at first when watching BSG that it was Alexander Siddiq and was looking for his name in the credits
                            You are not alone. A few of my friends that watched BSG said the same thing (I thought it was Siddig when I saw the premiere as well) lol

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                              Emissary is IMHO the best "pilot" episode from any Trek series (and one of the best Trek episodes period)
                              I wholeheartedly agree. While I enjoyed all the "pilot' episodes, I found DS9 and VOY the 2 best IMO.

The wife is visiting her folks this weekend so I am going to bust out my DS9 season 1 Box Set to give Emissary a rewatch.

Comment

You could always do a re-watch of your favorite episodes or what some consider "essential episodes" from each series.

Comment

Working...
                                X