Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maneth View Post
    As a hobby, definitely. But you'd think people would have better things to do than watch others engage in sports. What would they play for, if greed no longer exists as a motivator?
    Why would anyone work if you're looking at it that way?

The same thing almost all non-professional athletes in the world play for. To be the best you can be, to win, competitive nature, love of the game, to entertain the millions of fans around the country/world/quadrant, ego, fame, fun way to make an honest living, beats working on engines or serving food at a cafe, I could go one...

It sounds like you don't like sports (which is perfectly fine), so maybe you don't understand. I love watching college football, even though I don't play. I'm not sure why human nature would change so much in that regards in 200 years. Which sports are popular, maybe some rules, maybe a new sport all together, but humans love playing and watching sports.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      A country will care about its people before the enforcing of the treaty
      That doesn't seem to be the case, sir.

Comment

I do watch sports on a sporadic basis even if I don't follow any particular sport. And yeah, even if professionals are being paid today, most probably would do it for free if they could afford to live without otherwise working to concentrate on training. Those who do it only for the money aren't the most successful ones, with a very few eceptions (sorry a letter stuck) such as Andre Agassi who claimed he detested tennis throughout his career.
        sigpic

Comment

I do watch sports on a sporadic basis even if I don't follow any particular sport. And yeah, even if professionals are being paid today, most probably would do it for free if they could afford to live without otherwise working to concentrate on training. Those who do it only for the money aren't the most successful ones, with a very few eceptions (sorry a letter stuck) such as Andre Agassi who claimed he detested tennis throughout his career.
          I love sports I discovered it 4 years ago after years or irratation at the domination of sports on TV when I wanted to watch something meaningful. But...it's incredible how it brings people of all types and ages together.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
            I love sports I discovered it 4 years ago after years or irratation at the domination of sports on TV when I wanted to watch something meaningful. But...it's incredible how it brings people of all types and ages together.
            I wouldn't consider myself the biggest of sports fan (I do really like baseball though). But like yourself I can really appreciate the camaraderie and the bringing of "people of all types and ages together" as you so well stated. Sports have a lot to offer even if you are not into them, including exercise and good health, a feeling of well-being and accomplishment, and it is also a great way to network or find someone to have a relationship with.
            The USS Defiant Rocks!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
              I wouldn't consider myself the biggest of sports fan (I do really like baseball though). But like yourself I can really appreciate the camaraderie and the bringing of "people of all types and ages together" as you so well stated. Sports have a lot to offer even if you are not into them, including exercise and good health, a feeling of well-being and accomplishment, and it is also a great way to network or find someone to have a relationship with.
              I've liked baseball since I was 12. But like you, outside of baseball I don't really follow sports that much. I used to follow football (college and the NFL) as regularly as baseball but that's gradually tapered off for the past 6-7 years now.

Unlike the Siskos, my fascination with baseball wasn't a family thing. My folks were a wee bit surprised (pleasantly surprised though) that I follow baseball. The idea though that baseball or other professional sports would go by the wayside in 200 years time is surprising to me. That's one thing I think the Trekverse didn't score well on. With the advent of holodecks and similar technology, one would think that the interest in sports would proliferate.

For example: That sport that Janeway and Seven played in the holodeck in "Hope and Fear"--the aptly named Velocity--is something I would love to learn. Dodging high-speed objects and using particle weapons... what's not to like?
              sigpic

Comment

Squash, 24th C style.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                  I've liked baseball since I was 12. But like you, outside of baseball I don't really follow sports that much. I used to follow football (college and the NFL) as regularly as baseball but that's gradually tapered off for the past 6-7 years now.
                  Interesting, thanx for sharing brother Fuzz.

My little brother and I grew up playing everything - Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Moto-Cross, Track & Field, Swimming, Wrestling, you name it we played it and played most of them very well. The very first Soccer team I was on as 10 year old won the California State Championship (I was a starting fullback and back-up goalie). I was an all-star Baseball and Football player, but Baseball and Wrestling were always what I was best at (I played 3rd and left field). My dad also had Season Tickets for the 49ers (from 1958 to present), the Giants, the Warriors, which fueled my love of sport even more. Those Glory Day's of Bill Walsh and George Seifert when the 49ers dominated the NFL for 20 years is something very special, and any 49er fan that lived through it like I did can understand what a truly incredible thing we witnessed. Then came Bond's, who with Willie Mays (another Giant by the way) will always be the greatest players ever.

As I get older, my love of Baseball and the San Francisco Giant's grows deeper each year. Baseball is "art in motion", as it has been called since it was invented. The intricacies of the game are mind boggling yet so simple to comprehend when you see the game played. It's also a sport that almost has as many female fans as us men folk that love the game.
                  Originally posted by Cold Fuzz
                  That sport that Janeway and Seven played in the holodeck in "Hope and Fear"--the aptly named Velocity--is something I would love to learn. Dodging high-speed objects and using particle weapons... what's not to like?
                  You and me both my friend. Star Trek has given us many unique futuristic games that took some creative writers a lot of time to dream up.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                  Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                    As I get older, my love of Baseball and the San Francisco Giant's grows deeper each year. Baseball is "art in motion", as it has been called since it was invented. The intricacies of the game are mind boggling yet so simple to comprehend when you see the game played. It's also a sport that almost has as many female fans as us men folk that love the game.
                    I'm not quite sure what it was about baseball that really drew me in. I think it was the pitching, intricacies of catching, and the strategy. Sisko described it to the Prophets very well, coming down to one person making a pitch. A thousand different things can happen with the ball... and we have no idea what will happen until that critical pitch is made.

You and me both my friend. Star Trek has given us many unique futuristic games that took some creative writers a lot of time to dream up.
                    Of all the sports invented for Star Trek, I think Velocity is the most interesting one and definitely the one I'd like to try the most. Of course, there's that fancy phaser range on the Enterprise-D holodeck where Guinan was really showing up Worf.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                      I'm not quite sure what it was about baseball that really drew me in. I think it was the pitching, intricacies of catching, and the strategy. Sisko described it to the Prophets very well, coming down to one person making a pitch. A thousand different things can happen with the ball... and we have no idea what will happen until that critical pitch is made.

Of all the sports invented for Star Trek, I think Velocity is the most interesting one and definitely the one I'd like to try the most. Of course, there's that fancy phaser range on the Enterprise-D holodeck where Guinan was really showing up Worf.
                      What about Parrieses Squares?
                      People apparently die during that...I've always wanted to know how that was played.

Comment

Yeah, definitely me too. That said, people die playing baseball, American football, hockey or soccer too (a goalie here was killed a few years ago because he was standing under the goal when it was struck by a bolt of lightning literally out of the blue).
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                          What about Parrieses Squares?
                          People apparently die during that...I've always wanted to know how that was played.
                          I think the mystery will keep it sounding cool, seeing it would be a let down!

...soccer too (a goalie here was killed a few years ago because he was standing under the goal when it was struck by a bolt of lightning literally out of the blue).
                          I would say lightning killed that guy, not soccer. Although I'm sure occasional serious accidents have happened.
                          sigpic

Comment

Nothing kils people with lightning like golf.

I don't know if anyone watches Hawaii 5-0 but their was a DS9 reference in it.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Up to season 4 now. Loved this quote:

QUARK: I'm not going to any emergency shelter. This is my bar and I'm going to defend it.
                              ODO: Really? And how do you plan to do that?
                              QUARK: With this.
                              ODO: You're going to hit them with a box?
                              QUARK: No, this is my disruptor pistol. The one I used to carry in the old days when I was serving on that Ferengi freighter.
                              ODO: I thought you were the ship's cook.
                              QUARK: That's right, and every member of that crew thought he was a food critic. If the Klingons try to get through these doors, I'll be ready for them.
                              (Quark opens the box. There's a note inside which Odo takes and reads.)
                              ODO: Dear Quark. I used parts of your disruptor to fix the replicators. Will return them soon. Rom.
                              QUARK: I will kill him.
                              ODO: With what?

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Nothing kils people with lightning like golf.

I don't know if anyone watches Hawaii 5-0 but their was a DS9 reference in it.
                                I'm definitely watching it now. I hadn't seen the newest episode.

Edit: Saw it, and now I completely want to nitpick away at it.
                                Last edited by SaberBlade; 25 March 2011, 02:06 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X