No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a late announcement but SyFY is airing a TNG marathon for Christmas Eve. Paraells is on right now. One of my favorites
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm enjoying the TNG marathon, too... I just wish they were showing anything from seasons 3-6. Season 7 was a bit of a let-down.

I have a Red & White Xmas party to attend tonight. Xmas on the beach.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas!
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        As I have work and won't be available until the night of the 25th (I unfortunately do work on Christmas Day), I wanted to wish you and the others in the thread a Merry Christmas, Brother Fifth.
        Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        Originally posted by Spimman View Post
        Not counting brief moments on my phone, this will be my last day on the forum until next week so...
        Merry Christmas to each of you, may the Holiday Season treat you well and may you treat those around you even better!
        Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays brother CF, nx and Spimman.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and gets to spend time with family and friends.

Comment

I'm enjoying the TNG marathon, too... I just wish they were showing anything from seasons 3-6. Season 7 was a bit of a let-down.

You know that feeling you have when you spit out liquid when something is funny. It really burn when that drink is alcohol. Family get togethers are always hilarious for me. To stay on topic I wonder what a DS9 Christmas would be like?
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Merry Christmas my fellow Trek brethren

Is anyone else doing absolutely nothing tonight like muah?

I Tivo'd a bunch of digitially re-mastered Hi-Def John Wayne Westerns that the Turner Classic Hi Def. Channel ran the last 4 days. I watched True Grit and The Sons of Katie Elder last night.

I have Tomb Raider, Dune or Blade Trinity on BluRay to watch.

My Christmas is going to be a blast.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post

I Tivo'd a bunch of digitially re-mastered Hi-Def John Wayne Westerns that the Turner Classic Hi Def. Channel ran the last 4 days. I watched True Grit and The Sons of Katie Elder last night.

I have Farscape to watch tonight via Netflix and I got all of Voyager for Christmas. I suppose I'll have to do a rewatch for that
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                I thought Avery Brooks was one of the worst actors ever to hold a position in the main cast of a Star Trek show.

I like his character and despite my opinion of his performance on a technical level I did enjoy it but I don't think hes a good actor at all. Some of my complaints would be:

He is always gasping for air in the middle of his lines and as a result it becomes very disjointed and some words don't even sound like they are part of the same sentence.

He tends to play it way over the top, his emotions are never subtle and everything has to be very emphatic. He just comes across as a very eccentric actor and it shows in his performance, he wouldn't be the first eccentric Star Trek captain (cough Shatner) but at least with Shatner it never really showed in his performance.
                But that's not a bad actor as undesirable as though habits are.
                Just like William Shatner's not what most would call good it's not BAD either...Usually this is what you call acting by character.
                Will Smith, Kirstie Alley, John William Scott and others do this... (They're personalities are so over powering it' overrides what ever tallent they have. Sometimes it's due to strong ascents or mannerisms that over shadow everything they do. It's difficult for Brooks to be Actor neutral.

You'll find that actors and actress than can bottom out their vocal inflections, impersonate or use multiple ascents are very good perhaps even great. They can do almost any role. Others like Brooks are sort of type cast because of their over the top sensationalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                  But that's not a bad actor as undesirable as though habits are.
                  Just like William Shatner's not what most would call good it's not BAD either...Usually this is what you call acting by character.
                  Will Smith, Kirstie Alley, John William Scott and others do this... (They're personalities are so over powering it' overrides what ever tallent they have. Sometimes it's due to strong ascents or mannerisms that over shadow everything they do. It's difficult for Brooks to be Actor neutral.

You'll find that actors and actress than can bottom out their vocal inflections, impersonate or use multiple ascents are very good perhaps even great. They can do almost any role. Others like Brooks are sort of type cast because of their over the top sensationalism.
                  I don't think your examples are good ones, particularly Will Smith but I am aware of what you are trying to say - some "actors" don't so much act as put their own exaggerated inflections into all their characters because they aren't capable of anything else, thats either not really acting or bad acting.

Like I said I do like his performances but sometimes when I watch its hard not to see the blatant flaws in his performance that you don't really see too often in television.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                    Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays brother CF, nx and Spimman.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and gets to spend time with family and friends.
                    Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post

Thanks Brothers Starbase and Fifth. I hope Brothers Spimman and NX are likewise having great holidays.

The two officers at work today, who happen to be the youngest at the office and are friends of mine, decided to let me go home early due the the holiday and the weather. As my brother is visiting until New Year's there should be plenty of good times. There's plenty of good stuff to watch this time around, with lots of sci-fi stuff like DS9 or that new Doctor Who Christmas episode all the way to Inglorious Basterds, Formula 51, or The Pacific. With lots of eggnog and mead and having some very good company already, I think it's safe to say that these holidays shall be quite merry and brilliant.
                    sigpic

Comment

The Red & White party was great. Xmas shots, good friends... even Rihanna showed up.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The Red & White party was great. Xmas shots, good friends... even Rihanna showed up.
                        Red & white... shots...

As in... rum as well as piña coladas on the beach?
                        sigpic

Comment

The two officers at work today, who happen to be the youngest at the office and are friends of mine, decided to let me go home early due the the holiday and the weather. As my brother is visiting until New Year's there should be plenty of good times. There's plenty of good stuff to watch this time around, with lots of sci-fi stuff like DS9 or that new Doctor Who Christmas episode all the way to Inglorious Basterds, Formula 51, or The Pacific. With lots of eggnog and mead and having some very good company already, I think it's safe to say that these holidays shall be quite merry and brilliant.
                          That's great brother CF. My wife has to work this evening (she's still at work), so I'm sitting around my house bored as all heck. With the crazy weather we are getting here in the Bay Area, I ended up sleeping all-day, it felt great too!

Sounds like you have some good viewing for this evening. Inglorious Basterd's was interesting, I hate it when Brad Pitt uses a Southern accent. My wife loves Dr. Who (I'm a fringe fan), so I am recording the new Christmas special for viewing later this evening when she gets home. I did get a copy of the "official MLB San Francisco Giants" BluRay for Christmas. I watched a copy of it a couple of weeks ago and loved every single second of it. They have so much cool video that no one had seen until they released this DVD, it makes it a must for all Giant fans to own.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                            I don't think your examples are good ones, particularly Will Smith but I am aware of what you are trying to say - some "actors" don't so much act as put their own exaggerated inflections into all their characters because they aren't capable of anything else, thats either not really acting or bad acting.
                            I agree Sami_, I respect Saquist and his takes (usually), but his example about how Avery Brooks or other Trek actors are bad and can't act is hogwash! Avery Brooks and most Trek players can act circles around 95% of all Hollywood. Like most all Trek actors, Brooks was trained in Shakespeare, which alone and IMO gives the various characters a huge advantage over most.

I was a big fan of Avery Brooks long before DS9 came along. Other than the brilliant Captain Sisko, I would have to say Brook's best role was as Hawk - who was an ex-con turned do-gooder by being a body-guard/private security and private investigator in the very good 1980's television series Spencer for Hire (with Robert Ulrich). He was stoic and brilliant as Hawk.

Comment

Red & white... shots...

As in... rum as well as piña coladas on the beach?
                              Rum, jaeger bombs, brain hemorrhages... All good fun. The margaritas were at a house party the night before.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Rum, jaeger bombs, brain hemorrhages... All good fun. The margaritas were at a house party the night before.
                                Jaeger bombs as in Red Bull + Jaegermeister? I haven't tried those... yet. There are these green drinks made from Jaeger, peppermint schnapps, and some green coloring (appropriate for Christmas) that has a nice taste. I might just have some of those for New Year's.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X