Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snookie16 View Post
    i want to say Merry Christmas to the DS9 thread from me and my mom (Rac80) - stay safe and have a great holiday.
    Hi ya Snookie, Meryy Christmas to you as well. Tell your momma happy holidays. We sure do miss Lady Rac around here.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      What you Leave Behind

DS9's final episode is an emotional, eventful story that covers a lot of ground. Here's an episode that must end a war, tie up numerous threads, and essentially close the book on every recurring DS9 character in existence. I dare say they pulled it off very well. But at the same time, they could have done some things better. Naturally, with the series now over, there could still be half a season's worth of stories to follow up what happens here. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with what we leave behind (there are of course some issues that go unresolved).

I liked this closing chapter in the DS9 saga a great deal. No, it's not perfect. I wouldn't call it the best overall episode of the season. But I would call it a big winner, and probably the most emotion-packed and important DS9 outing of season VII. Even if it can't wrap up every one of a million story-lines, it's a captivating ride that does many things.

I can go into a ton of details about this packed to the hilt episode. But I am going to end my review in saying that IMHO there has never been another scifi show (or television show for that matter) that has come close to the brilliance we got on DS9. Even to this day, I rank DS9 and M*A*S*H my 2 favorite shows of all-time.
      So now that DS9 is done, what series do we do next? Or do we start over again?
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Where IS Rac lately anyway?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Where IS Rac lately anyway?
          She was banned from GW. I'm not sure if it was temporary of permanent..
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
            What you Leave Behind

DS9's final episode is an emotional, eventful story that covers a lot of ground. Here's an episode that must end a war, tie up numerous threads, and essentially close the book on every recurring DS9 character in existence. I dare say they pulled it off very well. But at the same time, they could have done some things better. Naturally, with the series now over, there could still be half a season's worth of stories to follow up what happens here. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with what we leave behind (there are of course some issues that go unresolved).

I liked this closing chapter in the DS9 saga a great deal. No, it's not perfect. I wouldn't call it the best overall episode of the season. But I would call it a big winner, and probably the most emotion-packed and important DS9 outing of season VII. Even if it can't wrap up every one of a million story-lines, it's a captivating ride that does many things.

I can go into a ton of details about this packed to the hilt episode. But I am going to end my review in saying that IMHO there has never been another scifi show (or television show for that matter) that has come close to the brilliance we got on DS9. Even to this day, I rank DS9 and M*A*S*H my 2 favorite shows of all-time.
            I liked this ending too (although I agree that it wasn't the greatest episode of the series). The only thing that bugged me was the montage towards the end because Jadzia wasn't in it and that didn't make sense to me. So, thumbs down on that, but the rest was good.

@jelgate

I'm in favor of doing it again if people want to, or we could do another show. I'm not sure which show that could be, though. There could be a vote.

Cheers all.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              She was banned from GW. I'm not sure if it was temporary of permanent..
              When did that happen? I remember she got put on moderation for SGU whining, when did the bannination come? Why?
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

When did that happen? I remember she got put on moderation for SGU whining, when did the bannination come? Why?
                I have absolutely no ideaa
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
                  I liked this ending too (although I agree that it wasn't the greatest episode of the series). The only thing that bugged me was the montage towards the end because Jadzia wasn't in it and that didn't make sense to me. So, thumbs down on that, but the rest was good.

@jelgate

I'm in favor of doing it again if people want to, or we could do another show. I'm not sure which show that could be, though. There could be a vote.

Cheers all.
                  They wanted to include Jadzia but Terry wouldn't allow it.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

So now that DS9 is done, what series do we do next? Or do we start over again?
                    I'm all in favor of starting over again or just re-watching select episodes. I was thinking about doing DS9 themed mini-Quizzes where all the questions pertain to a single episode. I wouldn't grade them or anything like I do for the big "All Purpose Trek Quizzes" (I would post the quiz - then post the answers the next day). It will mainly be for fun and conversational purposes.

Come February I have a lot of free time off from work. I still have to help take care of Momma, but I can spend more time on the computer where I can do a quizzes or just hang out here on GW more than I have lately.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                      Terry Farrell (Jadzia) left her contact with Paramount on very bitter terms. Apparently she was offered a signifigant raise (as were all the other DS9 cast members). But the real story was she wanted out of her DS9 contract no matter what they offered because she was offered a job (which she co-starred on for years) by CBS to play a regular character on the rather lame Ted Danson sitcom "Becker".

As you well know - I am not the biggest Jadzia fan, but it would have been nice to see her finish the series with the rest of cast (especially after she and Worf hooked up). That being said - I throughly enjoyed the brief time we got Nicole deBoer and the Ezri Dax character. That was a very risky move by the TPTB to bring back a new Dax character. It would have been far easier for them to just write the symbiont/character right off the show. It was typical of DS9 to take chances with the story-lines/arc's, they were never afraid. It didn;t alway's work out, but for the most part, it turned our rather brilliant.
                      I thought it was the other way around. I heard she didn't get the Becker role until after she left DS9. Kind of ironic that she was fired for that show
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

They wanted to include Jadzia but Terry wouldn't allow it.
                        Terry Farrell (Jadzia) left her contact with Paramount on very bitter terms. Apparently she was offered a significant raise (as were all the other DS9 cast members). But the real story was she wanted out of her DS9 contract no matter what they offered because she was offered a job (which she co-starred on for years) by CBS to play a regular character on the rather lame Ted Danson sitcom "Becker".

As you well know - I am not the biggest Jadzia fan, but it would have been nice to see her finish the series with the rest of cast (especially after she and Worf hooked up). That being said - I thoroughly enjoyed the brief time we got Nicole deBoer and the Ezri Dax character. That was a very risky move by the TPTB to bring back a new Dax character. It would have been far easier for them to just write the symbiont/character right off the show. It was typical DS9 to take chances with the story-lines/arc's, they were never afraid. It didn't always work out, but for the most part, it turned our rather brilliant.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Sorry for the switched around re-post, I added and corrected spelling.
                          I thought it was the other way around. I heard she didn't get the Becker role until after she left DS9. Kind of ironic that she was fired for that show
                          That's what the whole point of contention was. Paramount cried fowl, saying that Farrell knew she had the Becker job waiting with CBS. But for legal purposes, she couldn't announce it, or even acknowledge anything what-so-ever about it. Farrell never would have left DS9 if she didn't have another job waiting.

This kind of under-the-table job-stealing happens a lot in television and Hollywood.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Personally I'm not a fan of Jadzia because I'm not a fan of Terry Farrell. I think she was by far the weakest link in the cast. I saw on one of the DS9 DVD bonus features that she was nervous going in because she was the only cast member with no theatre experience, and I think it really shows. She just did not have the chops to keep up with the rest of the cast. You can basically count her acting emotions on one hand: intense reading tricorders/scanners/being defensive personally, exceedingly fake laughter, "I'll say one thing for the....", and wallpaper.

I think the writers did as commendable job with her as they could; I was sad to see her character die. But I was sad because of how it would impact the rest of the characters, rather than because of losing her.

Comment

Personally I'm not a fan of Jadzia because I'm not a fan of Terry Farrell. I think she was by far the weakest link in the cast. I saw on one of the DS9 DVD bonus features that she was nervous going in because she was the only cast member with no theatre experience, and I think it really shows. She just did not have the chops to keep up with the rest of the cast. You can basically count her acting emotions on one hand: intense reading tricorders/scanners/being defensive personally, exceedingly fake laughter, "I'll say one thing for the....", and wallpaper.
                              Word! Kind of harsh, but I cannot disagree brother Digi.

It was glaringly obvious that she lacked the acting chops of all the other regular cast. She did get better, and did have a few shining moments. I watched a little of Becker, and she was NOT any better playing a regular sit-com character.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I loved Jadzia. And Farrell isn't a bad actress. I don't hold it against her that the first thing I ever saw her in was a Hellraiser movie. And she's certainly not a bad actress when compared to a certain person who played Travis Mayweather. Though, in his case, it might have been the lack of anything to actually act.

I miss Lady Rac, too.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X