Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    Considering their non-linear nature, I suppose they easily knew exactly how things would turn out... but the Pah Wraiths were also non-linear... Perfect battle, really.
    I still say the Q are more powerful. The Prophets may be able to manipulate time, but the Q have, to quote Q Junior, 'unlimited control over matter, space and time'.
    I tend to agree with you there my friend - the power that Q showed us was simply on another level compared to any other force or power we have seen on any scifi show period! (let alone Star Trek)

Was the very powerful being (Kevin Uxbridge) we saw in the TNG season 3 episode The Survivors (who replicated his human wife who was killed in an attack by aliens called the "Husnock") also a Q? - by simply being able to wish an entire species dead, screams Continuum or something even more powerful.
    The USS Defiant Rocks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

I never really thought about it before, but that does sound rather Q-ish, doesn't it? At least in terms of capabilities, if not attitude.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It's Q'ish in abilities but I doubt the Continuum would have allowed it. If they'd kill Amanda Rogers family for living as humans, I'd have expected them to kill Uxbridge too.Even if the attack on the colony was a Q attempt at killing on of their own, he never gave up his powers so it would be a foolish attempt in trying to kill him.

When all was said and done, I believe the Continuum would undo any of the damage caused by another Q, so if Uxbridge was a Q and he killed an entire race, then the Continuum should be able to undo it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          When all was said and done, I believe the Continuum would undo any of the damage caused by another Q, so if Uxbridge was a Q and he killed an entire race, then the Continuum should be able to undo it.
          You would hope so, but I have my serious doubts about that brother SB - The Continuum let Q expose us to the Borg hundreds of years to early only to see thousands killed when they did arrive in our space (the Continuum did nothing for us) - While Q was going around basically torturing numerous races and species (such as the Calamarain), the Continuum did nothing again. While I think the intentions of most of the Q's and the Continuum as a whole was honorable, we saw a couple of them go rogue so-to-speak while there colleagues did nothing to stop or repair any damage caused. The Continuum's bark seemed much worse than there bite when it came to policing there own.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
            Was the very powerful being (Kevin Uxbridge) we saw in the TNG season 3 episode The Survivors (who replicated his human wife who was killed in an attack by aliens called the "Husnock") also a Q? - by simply being able to wish an entire species dead, screams Continuum or something even more powerful.
            If the Kevin Uxbridge entity wasn't a Q then he was at least as powerful (if not much more so). We do know that there are powerful enough beings that even scared or made the Continuum take notice - such as Amanda Rogers who we saw Q try to recruit in the TNG episode True Q - In that episode we heard Q admit to Picard that Amanda's abilities were even beyond that of his own The entity we saw as Kevin Uxbridge could have very well been one of those beings that even the Continuum didn't mess with (otherwise the Continuum might have been wished out of existence as well)
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
              If the Kevin Uxbridge entity wasn't a Q then he was at least as powerful (if not much more so). We do know that there are powerful enough beings that even scared or made the Continuum take notice - such as Amanda Rogers who we saw Q try to recruit in the TNG episode True Q - In that episode we heard Q admit to Picard that Amanda's abilities were even beyond that of his own The entity we saw as Kevin Uxbridge could have very well been one of those beings that even the Continuum didn't mess with (otherwise the Continuum might have been wished out of existence as well)
              Except Amanda Rogers was a Q
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

If the Kevin Uxbridge entity wasn't a Q then he was at least as powerful (if not much more so). The entity we saw as Kevin Uxbridge could have very well been one of those beings that even the Continuum didn't mess with (otherwise the Continuum might have been wished out of existence as well)
                Well said and I completely agree brother Fifth. The Kevin Uxbridge entity did have an air about him that indicated to me that he was as powerful a being as there is (even more so than the Continuum)
                Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Except Amanda Rogers was a Q
                Even though her parents were both Q's, she still had to be recruited to join the Continuum. I wonder just how many different species make-up the Continuum?

Comment

The Muse

Lets start with Jake Sisko, the guy whom we saw die fighting to save his father in the "The Visitor," takes the easy was out to get a book written. Odo takes the final step in becoming humanoid. And Lwaxana Troi, who used to be the brassiest broad in the universe, goes sobbing to the nearest savior for rescue. Who are those people, and where was Sisko when everyone needed him.

Jake almost got destroyed by a woman who wanted to suck the creativity out of him, but hey, we've heard that story before. Standard romantic stereotype of the artist who forsakes his wife and family in the name of freedom: the woman drains him of all his juices, so he has to get away. In this case, it was literal. At least Jake appeared to get some good psycho-sex as well as most of the novel out of the experience, even if he should have been scared off from the beginning. He has very impressive handwriting for someone who's never written anything in longhand before, and it's nice that his relationship with Sisko Sr. is so free of teen angst that he can cancel out of a trip without a blink from the same father who got royally miffed when Jake didn't want to sail to Cardassia with him last year.

As for Odo...I believed his speech about why he wanted to marry Lwaxana. And that's a problem. Terrific performance by Rene Auberjonois, but just as uncharacteristic as when Odo started smashing tables because Kira preferred Shakaar's solidity to Odo's shapeshifting, He's lonely among humans because he's not humanoid - OK, that makes sense. He likes Lwaxana because she loves him for his differences, she even likes to play Hide and Seek with him - that makes a lot of sense too, and it's an utterly charming notion.

This episode might have been intriguing if we threw out the supporting cast, while Lwaxana went to Jake for rescue instead. I bet he would have done right by her, and she by him, and he would have gotten a hell of a novel out of that experience.

Comment

Just stepping in to say when I was gone I watched For the Cause to Apocolaypse Rising. Will post when I have more time.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

THe muse... Lwaxanna was always a hilarious character, but I liked her best when she interacted with Alexander on TNG. just great for him and worf.

Comment

Although with Sisko basically being a fellow omnipotent being (ie. Prophet), maybe it was a line that even Q did not want to cross (I'm glad the writers took heed of that).

Another great review my friend. And I love your Farscape/DS9 dedicated avatar - very
                        Wow, that explanation kind of blows my mind!

And thanks, on the Avatar!
                        sigpic

Comment

You would hope so, but I have my serious doubts about that brother SB - The Continuum let Q expose us to the Borg hundreds of years to early only to see thousands killed when they did arrive in our space (the Continuum did nothing for us) - While Q was going around basically torturing numerous races and species (such as the Calamarain), the Continuum did nothing again. While I think the intentions of most of the Q's and the Continuum as a whole was honorable, we saw a couple of them go rogue so-to-speak while there colleagues did nothing to stop or repair any damage caused. The Continuum's bark seemed much worse than there bite when it came to policing there own.
                          At the end of the episode, it was said that Q perhaps did them a favour. I believe in 'Best of Both Words' it was confirmed that the Borg were responsible for the attacks across the Federation/Romulan neutral zone at the end of season one. The Borg were coming, Q throwing the Enterprise into that Borg cube's path could have been more of a test or attempt at the Enterprise stopping the ship. The episode could have been another test, just like the end of the show itself.

sigpic

Comment

Q let us know what was coming. Otherwise, the Sol system would be another Unicomplex. I've always seen his actions as helping to save humanity.
                            Besides, it's Picard's own hubris that led Q to teach him a lesson. Picard deserved it. The dead/assimilated crew members of the Ent D didn't, however... a point that Picard points out to Q at the end of Q Who.
                            I understand what you've done here, Q. But the lesson could have been learned without losing 18 of my crew.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              At the end of the episode, it was said that Q perhaps did them a favour. I believe in 'Best of Both Words' it was confirmed that the Borg were responsible for the attacks across the Federation/Romulan neutral zone at the end of season one. The Borg were coming, Q throwing the Enterprise into that Borg cube's path could have been more of a test or attempt at the Enterprise stopping the ship. The episode could have been another test, just like the end of the show itself.
                              Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                              Q let us know what was coming. Otherwise, the Sol system would be another Unicomplex. I've always seen his actions as helping to save humanity.
                              After thinking about this for longer than I will ever admit LOL - I'm leaning towards the point of view that Q's actions, in exposing the Enterprise to the Borg, did in the end help humanity and the Alpha Quadrant as a whole - It did advance our protection and weaponry technology by decades, while shaking us out of our comfortable zone. You can make compelling arguments either way, but for now, I'm on board you guy's.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

The Muse

What exactly are the writers going for here? Are they saying that to solve marital problems you run away from your spouse and then pretend to marry somebody else so your real spouse will give up and stay out of your life? What kind of fantasy world does this sort of solution come from? Wouldn't a typical Star Trek solution try to actually deal with the problem in human terms instead of coming up with something that, in the real world, would probably make things worse for everybody?

Aside from the questionable approach of the solution, the whole wedding thing is practically unwatchable. I like Odo stories that get into the heart of his character, but "Muse" tries to be cute at the expense of all credibility. This show wants to think we'll just accept Odo's completely-out-of-character actions. It's strange, in fact, because Odo seems perfectly in sync for the first act or so, but in act two all of a sudden something goes "click" (around the point where Lwaxana and Odo are playing the hide-and-seek shapeshifting game) and Odo's character runs awry with erratic behavior--the flagship example being the fact that it is his idea to engage in a mock wedding with Lwaxana.

This is pretty much a waste of television air time; an uncharacteristically ultra-bad Trek that would best be put to use as fodder for MST3K. Slow, uneventful, annoying, trite, and lame--did I leave anything out? Oh, yeah: It's talky. Talky can be fine, but not when the characters have nothing to say. In short: There's nothing worth musing over in "The Muse."

The only good moment in the episode is when the camera pans down on Jake's novel, and it turns out to be Anslem. But an episode this bad probably doesn't deserve to make references to an episode as wonderful as "The Visitor."
                                The USS Defiant Rocks!
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                                X