Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    Speaking of theme music and scores, these were the finalists when DS9 was picking its theme song ..........

New DS9 Theme Songs
    Copyright © 1997 by Peter Anspach; All Rights Reserved.

Opening Theme:

Come listen to a story `bout a man named Ben,
    A washed-up commander down on his luck and then,
    One day he brought an orb to the Prophets of Bajor,
    And they opened up a dimensional door.

Wormhole, that is...Spatial rift...Hyperspace highway.

Well the next thing you know, Starfleet became compliant,
    Promoted him to captain and gave him the Defiant,
    They said, Ben you're lucky we stuck you in that place,
    Now just don't screw up your job commandin' Deep Space.

Nine, that is...Runabouts...Jem'Hadars.
    The Deep Space Niners!!!

Closing Theme:

Now it's time to say goodbye to Ben and all his crew,
    For stoppin' by and visitin', they really do thank you,
    And if you're passin' by next week while headin' Bajor's way,
    They've got a spot reserved for you, in a dockin' bay.

Y'all warp on back now, y'hear?

LOL, the DS9 Hillbillies I remember you showing this a few years back and its still funny and quite clever. Do you still have the Voyager and TNG "new theme song's" as well brother Fifth?, if so post them up here, I'm sure most of our fellow Trek brethren here would get a kick out of them.

Comment

Speaking of theme music and scores, these were the finalists when DS9 was picking its theme song ..........

New DS9 Theme Songs
      Copyright © 1997 by Peter Anspach; All Rights Reserved.

Opening Theme:

Come listen to a story `bout a man named Ben,
      A washed-up commander down on his luck and then,
      One day he brought an orb to the Prophets of Bajor,
      And they opened up a dimensional door.

Wormhole, that is...Spatial rift...Hyperspace highway.

Well the next thing you know, Starfleet became compliant,
      Promoted him to captain and gave him the Defiant,
      They said, Ben you're lucky we stuck you in that place,
      Now just don't screw up your job commandin' Deep Space.

Nine, that is...Runabouts...Jem'Hadars.
      The Deep Space Niners!!!

Closing Theme:

Now it's time to say goodbye to Ben and all his crew,
      For stoppin' by and visitin', they really do thank you,
      And if you're passin' by next week while headin' Bajor's way,
      They've got a spot reserved for you, in a dockin' bay.

I would've loved to have had that on the credits.

Btw Fifth, I believe the next episode discussion is: "Inquisition"
      sigpic
      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
        I would've loved to have had that on the credits.
        it is quite clever and funny.

Originally posted by Descent
        Btw Fifth, I believe the next episode discussion is: "Inquisition"
        I am watching it right after I sign off, I will post it up tomorrow. Then you know what episode comes after Inquisition.

Originally posted by Starbase
        LOL, the DS9 Hillbillies I remember you showing me this a few years back and its still funny and quite clever. Do you still have the Voyager and TNG "new theme song's" as well brother Fifth?, if so post them up here, I'm sure most of our fellow Trek brethren here would get a kick out of them.
        I will gladly dig them up sometime tonight brother Base, and I will post them up tomorrow as well.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I love it! As soon as I started reading the lyrics, The Beverly Hillbillies theme popped straight into my head.

Seeing as we're talking Trek music at the minute, does anyone remember this classic? Star Trekkin' - By The Firm. It's music Jim, but not as we know it...not as we know it...

I'd love to see the other themes, especially the Voyager theme song.
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
            I love it! As soon as I started reading the lyrics, The Beverly Hillbillies theme popped straight into my head.

Seeing as we're talking Trek music at the minute, does anyone remember this classic? Star Trekkin' - By The Firm. It's music Jim, but not as we know it...not as we know it...

I'd love to see the other themes, especially the Voyager theme song.
            Great, now I will have the Beverly Hillbillies song in my head.

Comment

re All alone in the night... Isn't Bajor rather close by?

Comment

Season VI DS9 episode discussion
                Episode # 18

Inquisition
                Internal Affairs Officer Sloan arrives on the station, announcing that there has been a possible security breach. He believes an officer may be passing information to the Dominion and promptly confines the senior staff to quarters. Later, Sloan summons Bashir for a brief interview, which appears to go well. Back in his room, however, the doctor learns that O'Brien was interrogated for two hours — about him. Just then, Bashir is taken to a second meeting with Sloan.

Sloan questions Bashir about his time as a Dominion prisoner and picks apart the story of his incarceration and escape. He tells the doctor that because of his superior, genetically engineered mind, the Dominion may be using him as a spy without his conscious knowledge. Bashir doesn't buy the story, and Sloan angrily drags him to a holding cell.

When Sisko sits in on the next interrogation, Sloan reminds him that Bashir recently advised on surrendering to the Dominion, and that he lied about being genetically engineered. In a private meeting, Sisko asks Bashir if Sloan's theory is medically possible, and Bashir realizes that Sisko doubts his innocence. Later that night, Sloan arrives in Bashir's cell to take him to a starbase for further questioning, but the doctor is suddenly transported onto a Cardassian ship.

He is welcomed by Weyoun, who asserts that Bashir was indeed "broken" by the Dominion. Since he has no memory of being a spy, Bashir decides that Weyoun and Sloan must be working together to concoct the story. Just then, the Defiant attacks, and Kira and Worf take him back to their ship. As his fellow officers unite against him, Bashir notices something is wrong — O'Brien suffered a recent shoulder injury but shows no symptoms. Suddenly, everything fades away. He was in a Federation holographic simulation. Now, he faces the real Sloan.

Sloan explains that he works for a secret division of Starfleet Intelligence — Section 31 — that eliminates dangers to the Federation without answering to anyone. They secretly took Bashir from the station and put him through a series of tests, which he passed. Bashir is horrified when Sloan invites him to join their group, then turns him down. Later, when he tells his story to Sisko, who thought the doctor was at a medical conference, Bashir gets an unwelcome assignment. Sisko surmises that Sloan will not give up hope of recruiting Bashir, and that when he returns, Bashir must join the secret unit —as a spy for the captain.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The introduction of Deputy Director Sloan from Starfleet Intelligence, or so we were lead to believe in the beginning of this episode. We did get the introduction of Section 31 in this episode, but I must say, I knew something was amiss when they started interrogating Bashir. All the regulars around him seemed out of place and not quite themselves, I could tell they were using a holodeck almost from the beginning.

This was an interesting episode that both Bashir and Sloan shined, I wouldn't rank it as one of my favorites but it was important and advanced the storyline beautifully.

A couple notes I made were....Did Sloan have a son that was killed in Starfleet?, I kind of doubt it but he used that as a ploy when explaining his personal interest in Bashir's case....Section 31 has been around for 200years dating back to the signing of the Starfleet charter....The holograph Weyoun we saw in this episode seemed not quite himself (like all the regular holograph characters), that was the first time I saw a hint of Shran in Weyoun, Combs is such a great character actor!....Michael Dorn (Worf) directed this episode.

Memorable Quotes from this episode.......

"Congratulations doctor, its not often we're proven wrong."
                "I take it you finally believe that I am not a Dominion spy."
                "I am leaning heavily towards that direction, but to erase any lingering doubts, why don't we do one final test?"
                "I've finished playing games with you Sloan!"
                "I can assure you, this is no game."

- Sloan and Bashir

"Now I want to know about you, who you work for?"
                "The same people you work for, the Federation, Starfleet."
                "You don't expect me to believe you are within Internal Affairs."
                "No, of course not, Internal Affairs is a competent department, but limited."
                "Let's just say I work for another branch of Starfleet Intelligence, our official designation is Section 31."
                "Never heard of it."
                "We keep a low profile, works out better that way for all those concerned."
                "So, what does your organization do, apart from kidnapping Starfleet officers."
                "We seek out and identify threats to the Federation."
                "And once identified?"
                "We deal with them."
                "How?"
                "Quietly."

- Sloan and Bashir

"You make it sound so ominous."
                "Well is it, because if what you say is true, then you function as judge, jury, and executioner, and I think that is too much power for anyone."
                "I admit it does take exceptional people to do what we do, people who can sleep at night. People who can sublimate their ambitions to uphold the rights each Federation citizen enjoys dearly."
                "Yet you violate those principles as a matter of cause."
                "In order to protect them."
                "You have the potential to become a very useful member of Section 31."
                "Three minutes ago, you accused me of being a traitor, and now you want to recruit me!"
                "Well, you're resourceful, intelligent."
                "You're serious."

- Sloan and Bashir

"How many lives do you suppose you've saved in your medical career?"
                "What has that got to do with anything?"
                "Hundreds? Thousands? Do you suppose those people give a damn that you lied to Starfleet Medical? I doubt it. We deal with threats to the Federation that jeopardize its very survival. If you knew how many lives we've saved, I think you'd agree that the ends do justify the means. In time you will agree with me."
                "Don't hold your breath."
                "All I ask is that when you get back to Deep Space 9, you consider what I've said."
                "What if I decide to expose you."
                "Let's just say I won't lose any sleep over it."

- Sloan and Bashir

"I can't believe the Federation condones this kind of activity."
                "Personally, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't. Every other great power has a unit like Section 31. The Romulans have the Tal'Shiar, the Cardassians have the Obsidian Order..."
                "But what does that say about us? When push comes to shove, are we willing to sacrifice our principles in order to survive?"
                "I wish I had an answer for you, Doctor."

- Bashir, Odo, and Sisko

10 star rating system
                StarTrek.com has it rated with.....8.5 stars
                GateWorld has it rated with.........8.7 stars
                My rating isn't so generous..........7.7 stars
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

This was one of those typical Star Trek episodes that takes a few more twists and turns than I would like because things become so distorted that you never know when it is real or fake and it can be hard to follow, which tends to spoil the story.

However, the episode is a good one. I particularly like the investigation portion of the episode when Bashir finds out everyone is being asked about him and then Sloan starts to target him.

Overall I'd give the episode an 8.1
                  //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                  Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
                    Touché.

Well...err...well, technically, *grasps at straws* the space station isn't actually orbiting a planet like B5. I couldn't say how far DS9 is away from Bajor, but the station itself is hanging in space about 1000km from the entrance to the wormhole.

Comment

Ah "Inquisition"...

What a fantastic enterance for Section 31. Sloan and Section 31 were definately one of my favorite parts of the last seasons. This episode almost got me to believe Julian WAS a Dominion spy near the end. Kind of freaked me out. Sloan and Bashir's conversations and ideals were always fascinating to me.

Overall I'd give "Inquistion" a 9/10.
                      sigpic
                      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Yeah, Inquisition was a great episode, and William Sadler did a fantastic job as Sloan. Of course, I can't help but think of him as Death from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

And the introduction of Section 31 was the door for so many internal ethical dilemmas for Starfleet! Took the shine off the golden boy.

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                          The introduction of Deputy Director Sloan from Starfleet Intelligence, or so we were lead to believe in the beginning of this episode. We did get the introduction of Section 31 in this episode, but I must say, I knew something was amiss when they started interrogating Bashir. All the regulars around him seemed out of place and not quite themselves, I could tell they were using a holodeck almost from the beginning.
                          Ahhhhh, good ole section 31, the Talshiar or Obsidian Order of Starfleet. We all knew one existed or did we?. I love how DS9 wasn't afraid to portray Star Trek and the Federation in particular as an in-perfect organization. As I watched this episode for the first time and realized what Section 31 was, I felt excited but also a little betrayed, it definetly was an eye opener. As I recently re-watched it knowing what was coming, I found it easier to hate Sloan and Section 31 for not only there holier than though attitudes, but there flawed reasoning that Sloan tried to convince Bashir with.

Bashir did come across as rather naive to believe that an organization like Section 31 didn't exist but I found his questioning of Sloan after the gig was up beautiful. As soon as Bashir has hip to what was going on, Sloan started to sound like a terrorist leader trying to convince and justify there actions.

A couple notes I made were....Did Sloan have a son that was killed in Starfleet?, I kind of doubt it but he used that as a ploy when explaining his personal interest in Bashir's case....Section 31 has been around for 200years dating back to the signing of the Starfleet charter....The holograph Weyoun we saw in this episode seemed not quite himself (like all the regular holograph characters), that was the first time I saw a hint of Shran in Weyoun, Combs is such a great character actor!....Michael Dorn (Worf) directed this episode.
                          I also wonder if Sloan did have a son killed in Starfleet?. I don't remember if that was ever mentioned again during the series.

You are right brother Fifth, the hologram Weyoun that Sloan created to fool Bashir acted and sounded nothing like the real Weyoun and did have an air about him like Shran had, which not surprisingly was the sametime Bashir realized something was fishy.

Major Props to Michael Dorn for directing this complicated and unique episode, wtgo Worf!.

10 star rating system
                          StarTrek.com has it rated with.....8.5 stars
                          GateWorld has it rated with.........8.7 stars
                          My rating isn't so generous..........7.7 stars
                          I would give Inquisition a 8.0 star rating. It's not ranked in my top 10 but it was an interesting and important episode that epitomized DS9 to a certain extent.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
                            Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                            Touché.
                            Well...err...well, technically, *grasps at straws* the space station isn't actually orbiting a planet like B5. I couldn't say how far DS9 is away from Bajor, but the station itself is hanging in space about 1000km from the entrance to the wormhole.
                            DS9, when it was called Terok Nor, which was built by and under the control of Cardassia, was stationed directly in the orbit of Bajor, and was built to be mobile. When the Federation took control of it and the wormhole was discovered they re-positioned it away from Bajor and put it right at the mouth of the wormhole, which is right where the series begins.

Here is some information about DS9 and Bajor......

Deep Space Nine, over a kilometer in diameter, is composed of a broad outer docking ring; an inner habitat ring containing residences; and a central core containing the promenade, the fusion reactors, and the operations center, known as "ops". Three sets of docking pylons sweep up and down equidistantly around the docking ring, defining a spherical shape. It is of identical design to Empok Nor. In its current position at the mouth of the wormhole, the station is three hours away from Bajor by shuttle.

Originally a Cardassian mining and refinery station named "Terok Nor" in orbit around Bajor, it was built by slave Bajoran labor under Cardassian rule in 2351. The station was commanded by Gul Dukat, the last Cardassian prefect of Bajor. It was abandoned toward the end of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor in 2369; the Cardassians removed anything of value on their way out.

In 2369, the Bajorans assumed control of the station. The Bajoran provisional government requested the assistance of the United Federation of Planets, who renamed it Deep Space Nine (DS9) and placed Commander Benjamin Sisko in command. Despite the Federation presence, the station remains subject to Bajoran law. Shortly after Sisko assumes command, his crew discovers the Bajoran wormhole. The station is moved to the mouth of the wormhole to secure Bajor's claim to it, after which the station assumes great commercial, scientific and strategic importance.

After the encounter with the Dominion in 2371 and owing to other volatile conditions, the station is retrofitted and heavily armed. The station's full complement of weaponry includes 5,000 photon torpedoes, several phaser banks, and shields that extend 300 meters around the station. These upgrades are first used against the Klingons in their offensive against Cardassia in early 2372. At the beginning of the Dominion War in late 2373, the station is temporarily lost to the Dominion. Federation and Klingon forces retake it in early 2374 after the Battle of Bajor.

Aside from a failed Bajoran military coup, the Dominion's occupation and a brief leave of absence from late 2374 to early 2375, Sisko, promoted to captain in 2371, remains in command of Deep Space Nine. In late 2375, at the end of the Dominion War, Colonel Kira Nerys assumes command.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

In its current position at the mouth of the wormhole, the station is three hours away from Bajor by shuttle.
                              Aha. Thanks Fifth. That was what I was looking for. I was frittering away for ages looking for information on the distance DS9 was from Bajor.

It doesn't say if the shuttle trip was at warp or impulse however. So, if the shuttle was at low warp speed, that would make the wormhole at least a light year away. Or if under impulse power, the wormhole could be at the edge or just outside the Bajoran system. That means DS9 was all alone in the night. But not quite.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                                Aha. Thanks Fifth. That was what I was looking for. I was frittering away for ages looking for information on the distance DS9 was from Bajor.

It doesn't say if the shuttle trip was at warp or impulse however. So, if the shuttle was at low warp speed, that would make the wormhole at least a light year away. Or if under impulse power, the wormhole could be at the edge or just outside the Bajoran system. That means DS9 was all alone in the night. But not quite.
                                Bajor doesn't lie in a solar system so to speak, so a trip from DS9 to Bajor could be done at high warp. I can remember a couple different times in various episodes where they made references to traveling at warp 7 from the worm hole to Bajor. They also mentioned when DS9 was in trouble from an impending attack from the Dominion that any kind of help from Bajoran attack ships would take 3 hours to arrive.

So like you said brother MF, DS9 was pretty much alone when it was stationed next to the wormhole and when the conflict with the Dominion became a real threat to DS9 they drastically upgraded the shielding and weaponry to the station knowing that any kind of outside help was a few hours away.

I have a bunch of cool information on what kind of armament and upgrades they gave DS9 after Sisko re-took it from Dukat and Weyoun. I will post it up in a little while.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X