Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starbase
    That's debatable, IMO Scorpius had bad intentions from the out-set. He wanted to obtain the worm-hole weapon for himself, not the Scarrans, so he could call the shots and have the power to do as he wishes.
    In "Incubator", he made it clear to John that he wanted to use the wormhole technology to help the Peacekeepers. He wasn't in it for the power. He also stated that many other times. Whether he was telling the truth or not is debatable I guess. But then again, I've only seen Seasons 1-3 so far.
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
      In "Incubator", he made it clear to John that he wanted to use the wormhole technology to help the Peacekeepers. He wasn't in it for the power. He also stated that many other times. Whether he was telling the truth or not is debatable I guess. But then again, I've only seen Seasons 1-3 so far.
      That's if you believe what Scorpius said, IMHO Scorpius was lying his azz off and was willing to do anything to secure the wormhole weapon. I don't believe his intentions were to destroy the galaxy or anyone in particular, he just wanted to hold something so powerful over everyone that he would be the ruler of the galaxy. A lot of this will be made clear in season 4 and in the mini-series Peace Keeper Wars brother Descent.

Do you not have season 4 and the Peace Keeper Wars on DVD?. I would gladly loan you my box sets, let me know.

Comment

I already have Season 4, I'm just still working on Season 3 at the moment. Thanks for the offer though.
        sigpic

Comment

Will Paramount ever consider doing a miniseries with DS9? They should I think it has a lot of potential. I suppose someone needs to get the death stench off the Trek franchise first.....

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
            Will Paramount ever consider doing a miniseries with DS9? They should I think it has a lot of potential. I suppose someone needs to get the death stench off the Trek franchise first.....
            I would love to see a mini-series set a few years after the Dominion war where the Jem'Hadar have branched off from the Founders and have there own society where they are fastly becoming a threat again in the Alpha Quadrant.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a mini-series based on exploration of the Gamma Quadrant where a few canon novels took the DS9 storyline after the end of the series.

Comment

I thought the episode where Dukat was a kind of cult leader for the dark side summed up his character pretty well. He wanted lots of things. He had a hunger for love, admiration, respect, power and over time, a lust for revenge. Dukat is accessible as a villian and interesting because some of the things he wants are the same things most of us want. But the way he tries to get them ends up making him lose his soul and finally his life. Very well acted and complex for a SciFi program.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
                I thought the episode where Dukat was a kind of cult leader for the dark side summed up his character pretty well. He wanted lots of things. He had a hunger for love, admiration, respect, power and over time, a lust for revenge. Dukat is accessible as a villian and interesting because some of the things he wants are the same things most of us want. But the way he tries to get them ends up making him lose his soul and finally his life. Very well acted and complex for a SciFi program.
                Dukat is probably my favourite ST villian for all your stated reasons. Megalomania is an oft-used motivation for a villian; but Dukat seemed to sincerely believe he was helping the Bajorans... he wasn't such a cardboard-cutout bad guy.

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
                  Well said as usual kmiller!, Dukat was all the above mentioned adjectives and like you also said he was very complex and deep. I can remember watching DS9 during its original airing where from week to week you never knew if you were going to get evil Dukat or good guy Dukat. He epitomized the Cardassian persona, arrogant and condescending one moment and then sympathetic and forgiving the next. He drove me nuts, yet I always found him fascinating.
                  Originally posted by Brigadier General Pants
                  Dukat is probably my favourite ST villian for all your stated reasons. Megalomania is an oft-used motivation for a villian; but Dukat seemed to sincerely believe he was helping the Bajorans... he wasn't such a cardboard-cutout bad guy.
                  Megalomania is a term I have used more than a few times to describe Dukat, and you are right, he genuinely felt he was helping Bajorans with his policies when he was commander of Terok Nor. He often said that TPTB on Cardassia wouldn't give him the supplies and the authority to do things his way. Dukat's policies were racist and only protected Bajorans that were useful to the Cardassians, the rest were discarded or basically starved to death. The Cardassians are such a racist group that anyone and everyone that isn't one of them is a lower form of life. You can definetly see where the writers of DS9 based the Cardassian race after the Nazi's.

What were Dukat's long term goals for Bajor if the Cardassians had taken over Bajor?. I believe he would jave killed off the bulk of them but still left enough enslaved Bajoran's to serve the Cardassians that would have inhabited Bajor.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                  Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Here is someGul/Legate Dukat info that some of you might have been aware of.......

Family and personal life
                    Dukat's father Procal was arrested and executed by the Cardassian government in an incident involving some arms dealers. Dukat blamed Obsidian Order operative Elim Garak for his father's death and ordered his execution at least twice. (DS9: "The Wire", "Improbable Cause", "By Inferno's Light")

Dukat was married and had seven children with his wife, including a son named Mekor. However, he also kept several Bajoran mistresses when he was Prefect on Terok Nor. The first was Kira Meru, with whom he fell in love and was involved for seven years. Years later Dukat formed an attraction to Meru's daughter, Kira Nerys, the first officer of Deep Space Nine. (DS9: "The Maquis, Part I", "Defiant", "Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night")

Towards the end of the Occupation, Dukat fell in love with another Bajoran woman, Tora Naprem, and the two had a daughter named Tora Ziyal. Dukat sent the pair away to Lissepia in 2366, though their ship was downed by the Breen on Dozaria. Ziyal survived and was forced to labor in a Breen dilithium mine until Dukat rescued her in 2372. After returning to Cardassia Prime with his half-Bajoran daughter, Dukat was severely ostracized. His wife and children left him and his mother disowned him. (DS9: "Indiscretion", "Return to Grace")

Dukat had a strange relationship with Benjamin Sisko, in many ways his counterpart and opposite. Dukat saw Sisko as a friend and viewed him with a great deal of respect, although that view was not shared by Sisko. (DS9: "Waltz")

Dukat's closest friend was Damar, who had served under him when he commanded the stolen Klingon Bird of Prey. Dukat found Damar 'useful' and despite the fact it was Damar who shot and killed his daughter, he later forgave Damar and came to him for help, as well as encouraging him to become the brave man he had fought with years before once again. Dukat also had a good working relationship with his Dominion ally Weyoun and although they would occasionally antagonize one another there was a mutual respect between the two. Dukat even gave Weyoun a picture his daughter Ziyal had painted.

In the last few weeks of his life, Dukat became involved with Kai Winn Adami, while posing as Anjohl Tennan. (DS9: "Strange Bedfellows")

Dukat was fond of Bajoran springwine and didactic theatre. (DS9: "Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night")

Notes
                    Dukat's initials (S.G.) come from the episode DS9: "A Time to Stand," in which Dukat records a permanent documentation file identifying himself as "Dukat, S.G." DS9 producer Ronald D. Moore jokingly gave Dukat's first name as "Elmo" on several occasions [1], but in the novels published by Pocket Books, Dukat's first name is identified as "Skrain." Moore commented: "The initials probably represent some rank or association or achievement (like Ph.d, or A.S.C., or J.D.)." [2]

In the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine relaunch novels, specifically "Unity," the resemblence between Dukat and Macet (both played by Marc Alaimo) is explained, stating that they are cousins.

Along with many fans, StarTrek.com describes Dukat as "the most complex and fully developed bad guy in Star Trek history".[3]

In 2002, Dukat placed fourth in TV Zone's list of the top twenty science fiction television villains. The Borg Queen was second, Weyoun was eighth, Q was eleventh and Seska was nineteenth.

Ronald D. Moore commented:

I don't think of him as being completely evil through and through to the point where every thought, every impulse is shaded by a nefarious agenda or horrid motive. We've seen other aspects to this guy over the years. He *can* be charming. He *can* be generous. He *can* do the right thing. All of that somehow makes his "evil" actions all the more dispicable, because we know that there was the potential in there for him to be a better person. But sometimes the cliches are true: Hitler loved his dog. No human being (and by extension, no Cardassian) is one hundred percent pure evil. But there is a "critical mass", if you will, where the dark deeds attributed to one person become so overwhelming that they swamp all the redeeming characteristics. Dukat is a bad guy. A very bad guy. He has a lot of blood on his hands and it's hard to see how his smile and innate charm can wipe that clean.

Comment

I think it's too creepy that Dukat had a thing for Kira's mother and for her as well.

Comment

I think it's too creepy that Dukat had a thing for Kira's mother and for her as well.
                        Well Dukat's a creep in general so I don't know why that would surprise anyone.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well Dukat's a creep in general so I don't know why that would surprise anyone.
                          Had no idea he was that much of a creep.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                            Had no idea he was that much of a creep.
                            Aye but your still on Season 2. Wait and see my friend, wait and see.
                            sigpic

Comment

Aye but your still on Season 2. Wait and see my friend, wait and see.
                              Actually no, watched the season three finale yesterday. I'll wait and see then.

Comment

Have you seen all of season 7 yet Trek_Girl42? If you haven't don't click the spoiler below.
                                Ah, I can out creep you HirogenGator.
                                Spoiler:
                                Dukat and Kai Winn were doing the nasty with each other. The thought of them sharing a bed made my skin crawl...
                                Bleurgh! Excuse me, I need some fresh air...
                                "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Working...
                                X