Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
    Jelgate: If you can bear to walk into Walmart, they often have sales for DVD players for 10 bucks. They're not great, but hey, it's ten bucks. Normally the cheap DVD players sell for about 30 bucks. Remember when DVD players were, like, 300 bucks for a crappy player? Yeah, me too.

Happy hunting!
    Your a little late. I got my DVD player about half a week ago.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      The Fallen?

I played a little bit of it, but found it a little too clunky to bother getting very far in.
      I remember playing around on a ship, then a bit of Bajor as Kira I believe. Other than that, not sure I even finished it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
        On the other hand, we get a great performance by Robert Picardo, who creates the real Lewis Zimmerman as someone who is similar to hologram Doc from VOY, but yet different enough to create a different character with more human qualities.
        I enjoyed some of the early and very entertaining (as self-contained set-pieces) scenes concerning Zimmerman and Bashir that focus on the LMH plot - especially a fun scene featuring two Zimmermans and two Bashirs in the same camera frame.
        Originally posted by the Fifth Race
        I would not call "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" a bad show per se, but after balancing the passable main plot and the horrible subplot, it comes out somewhere in the "mediocre" range.
        The main plot is definitely the shining star of this episode. We got some fascinating character development for Bashir, we met his rather dubious parents, and we got to see the ever so rarely featured and fascinating Louis Zimmerman character. A very nicely constructed episode.

Comment

I guess I'll be the minority. I really don't like Doctor Bashir I Presume. I know what it was trying to do to deepen Doctor Bashir and shed some light on it. And while I like what the episode bring forth for latter episodes Alexzander Sidding is just off and I don't like the coldness towards his family just seems off to me.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Martok with one eye, Gowron with the crazy eyes
            With or without the Gowron makeup, Robert O'Reilly definitely does have um...interesting...eyes.

Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 27 April 2010, 11:51 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
              With or without the Gowron makeup, Robert O'Reilly definitely does have um...interesting...eyes.
              Great shot brother Fuzz!. Gowron has always been one of my favorite Trek characters from any series. It was interesting to watch him go from somewhat of a good guy to an ego driven mad-man who would rather sacrifice his own people to better his name. Major prop's to Robert O'Reilly.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Great shot brother Fuzz!. Gowron has always been one of my favorite Trek characters from any series. It was interesting to watch him go from somewhat of a good guy to an ego driven mad-man who would rather sacrifice his own people to better his name. Major prop's to Robert O'Reilly.
                Gowron always struck me as a character with lots of grey area. He could have poisoned K'mpec but there was no conclusive evidence of that. In some ways was friendly to the Federation especially since Picard was his Arbiter of Succession. However, he was quite unfriendly to the Federation on DS9. Ultimately, he showed he cared more about himself than the Klingon Empire which was precisely why he had to go.

Robert O'Reilly also played another interesting character on DS9: one of the accountants on Badda-bing, Badda-bang.

Spoiler:
                Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 27 April 2010, 11:51 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Robert's eyes are one of the things I always remember about Gowron. If he pushed them out any more, he'd be able to see his shoes without looking down.

I liked TNG Gowron a lot. It was good (at the time) to see an honourable Klingon looking to lead the Council, while actively opposing Duras. It would have been an interesting twist and could even explain his later actions if he did poison K'mpec but I think that it was more than likely Duras. Even when the Duras Sisters started the civil war, he still knew the advantages to the Khitomer Accords rather than going crazy trying to stop them. Not exactly the actions of a guy looking to advance his own career, but consider he was a politician, he may have done it.

However all that did change with the Martok Changling. It was interesting to see the Klingon side of Gowron take over rather than the politician in him, but he was still able to break off the attack on DS9 because it would have weakened the Quadrant for the Federation to be at war with Klingons, the Klingons at war with Cardassia and Starfleet and of course the Romulans doing squat and the Cardassian forces being wiped out.

I do think that even without the Founder influence, Gowron pretty much lost it. He wanted to be the greatest Klingon hero since Kahless, fighting the greatest enemy the Empire has faced since the Hurq invasion. Even if he wanted to be the greatest hero since Kahless, he completely lost his honour by trying to screw Martok with his pants on. It was a nice moment for Worf though, even more so for Ezri by pointing being more objectionable towards the Empire than Curzon and Jadzia, and helping Worf decide that something had to be done.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    It was a nice moment for Worf though, even more so for Ezri by pointing being more objectionable towards the Empire than Curzon and Jadzia, and helping Worf decide that something had to be done.
                    I think Ezri's speech about the Klingons was one of the best I've heard on DS9 because of its honesty and bluntness--the kind of honesty and bluntness an honorable Klingon like Worf or Martok could appreciate and take to heart without being insulted. It takes a lot of integrity to look inward at your own faults or the faults of a group of people you feel like you belong to, admit the shortcomings, and actually do something to fix it.

In real life, most people can't bear to evaluate their own shortcomings, much less do something about them. For Worf to look at the problems of Klingon society and address them by forcibly changing the government by deposing Gowron was the biggest action he could take.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                      I think Ezri's speech about the Klingons was one of the best I've heard on DS9 because of its honesty and bluntness--the kind of honesty and bluntness an honorable Klingon like Worf or Martok could appreciate and take to heart without being insulted. It takes a lot of integrity to look inward at your own faults or the faults of a group of people you feel like you belong to, admit the shortcomings, and actually do something to fix it.

In real life, most people can't bear to evaluate their own shortcomings, much less do something about them. For Worf to look at the problems of Klingon society and address them by forcibly changing the government by deposing Gowron was the biggest action he could take.
                      The thing that I liked most about the scene, was it showed Ezri's independence from Curzon and Jadzia. She saw thing different when it came to the Empire and while she did have her slipups (Raktageno for one, fighting Jadzia's feelings for Worf was another), she was able to see the flaws in the Empire than the romanticism the last two Daz hosts had, especially Jadzia.

It was nice seeing Worf have some discomfort from it, but he also knew it was true. I think the most powerful moment in the scene was Ezri asking Worf how often did he have to hide the dishonour of the Empire and it was very true. Worf had a great love for the Empire, even when it had no love for him. I do find it oddly ironic that twice Worf has killed someone, thus allowing a second person to become Chancellor. First he killed Duras and as a result Gowron took over, and in a weird twist of fate, eventually killed Gowron allowing Martok to take over. Makes me wonder if somewhere down the line Worf will kill someone else allowing another to take over.

When I think about it, Worf is probably the greatest Klingon warrior when it comes to combat, even if he did use a cheap tactic on Gowron. He makes a good Ambassador, because if people do something he doesn't like, he can kill them.

sigpic

Comment

Gowron has always been one of my favorite Trek characters from any series. It was interesting to watch him go from somewhat of a good guy to an ego driven mad-man who would rather sacrifice his own people to better his name. Major prop's to Robert O'Reilly.
                        Well said brother Fifth Race. Gowron was kind of enigma when it came to the Klingon's. I always got the feeling that he was some-what of a bad-guy who realized that it would be more beneficial to play the good-guy role while Duras himself and his sisters were still around. But like a lot of Klingons, his ego got him in the end. Klingons Worf, Martok, Gowron and Grilka are all favorite characters of mine.

My wife and I re-watched the DS9 season 3 opener The Search: Part I last night. It's a great continuation of the season 2 ending episode The Jem'Hadar, which takes place three months after the Dominion's introduction into the Trek encyclopedia of villains. Sisko returns from a debriefing on Earth with a new mission and a secret weapon named the USS Defiant. We got part 2 tonight.

Comment

There are some problems with Heart if Stone - For starters, this episode uses a twist ending that rather undermines the impact on the characters. While it's not a total cheat like in "Search II," it does end up putting us back where we started. Since, in reality, Odo said none of these things to Kira, the writers have allowed themselves to take back everything they proposed in the episode. If the intention here was to confirm all the suspicions we've had about Odo's feelings, it's little more than an exercise in redundancy. The B-story is a lightweight but decent enough story involving Nog trying to persuade Sisko to recommend him for Starfleet Academy.

"Heart of Stone" has some good dialogue and engaging moments. Unfortunately, the ungratifying end result fall's flat.

I thought that the purpose was revelation with out exposure.
                          Safe yes...but still dramatically revealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Weyoun View Post
                            Klingons Worf, Martok, Gowron and Grilka are all favorite characters of mine.
                            Those are the Holy Grail of Klingon characters (my favorites as well). Grilka was nothing short of sexy-fantastic!.
                            Originally posted by Weyoun
                            My wife and I re-watched the DS9 season 3 opener The Search: Part I last night. It's a great continuation of the season 2 ending episode The Jem'Hadar, which takes place three months after the Dominion's introduction into the Trek encyclopedia of villains. Sisko returns from a debriefing on Earth with a new mission and a secret weapon named the USS Defiant.
                            The honorable search is set against the B-story of Odo coping with Starfleet Command's decision to replace him as DS9 security chief involving Starfleet affairs. Apparently, they've had enough of his disrespect and obviously don't trust the fact that he is a Changeling. Consequently, Odo's mood becomes atypically angry and on-edge, demonstrated by his scene with Quark that doesn't end with the usual laugh but rather an unsettling display of Odo's fury. Furthermore, he takes on a bizarre interest in a mysterious nebula while in the Gamma Quadrant.

The Search: Part I is definitely one of the most gripping hours of DS9 to fall into the adventure category (packed full with action and suspense elements) yet remains true to emphasizing the characters with some stellar dialogue and interaction.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by rien View Post
                              Yes that is Martok :-)

His eye was ripped out when he was forced to repeatedly fight jem hadar soldiers at that prison camp that worf/bashir/garak were stashed. I just realised the majority of my posts seem to mention Martok in them i must sound like an obsessed fangirl
                              Oh yeah, I remember that. I really like Martok, he's my fave Klingon He had a sense of humour

Martok with one eye, Gowron with the crazy eyes
                              Gowron gave me the creeps *shudder* With those shifty eyes
                              sigpic

Comment

And this we do not forgive....

OR FORGET
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X