No announcement yet.

Favourite Trek Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember watching the original series when it first came out--crouched down behind the sofa so my parents wouldn't see me because it was past my bedtime. I think my life-long love of science fiction came from that time. I knew every episode--I could tell which episode it was going to be by the first 30 seconds or by the title. I remember the long, dark days with no Star Trek and the excitement I felt when going to one of the first Star Trek conventions (way back in 1975) with my little brother. Guest star: Mr. Sulu! It wasn't fancy, no dealer's room, no bells and whistles. But--it was Star Trek! I remember the crashing disappointment with the first movie and the soaring excitement of the second (and best!). Hmmm--is there a poll for best Trek movie? The original series is the giant on whose shoulders all the others stand (come to think of it, most of TV's sci-fi as well). So it pains me to admit that it is not my favorite. Oh it had some great episodes: Amok Time, Mirror Mirror, The Trouble with Tribbles; but it's hopelessly cheesy these days. The special effects, the terribly overblown moral lessons, the social situation of its time--but, still, it paved the way (and I'm not a Shatner hater--I thought he was great, even though I was a Spock fan).

My favorite is Star Trek: The Next Generation. Sure, it had an uneven beginning, and a couple of blah seasons. But some of those shows were just gold. I loved the Inner Light and I, Borg. I thought The Best of Both Worlds was just about the best Trek written (who can forget the twist of the knife when Locutus called Commander Riker, "Number One"?). I loved the characters and the interaction and the look of the show and the interesting plots, and... Well, it's my favorite.

After those two, I just couldn't get as in to the others. I don't know the episode titles, I haven't seen every show. But, it's still Star Trek, and I would take any of it over some of the drek they have on TV today.

I finally got to see Voyager when I moved to an area that was showing it. I enjoyed it much more than I did Deep Space Nine (although I wouldn't mind seeing it all this time--it wasn't always playing where I lived).

I never really got to see the animated series--my brothers ruled the TV on Saturday mornings and they weren't into Trek like I was. I think I saw one or two episodes, and it was really pretty good.

Finally, I just could not like Enterprise. I loved Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap, but he was just horrible in the first few episodes of Enterprise. I'm afraid I checked out after the first three episodes and then tuned in to part of the finale. I wouldn't mind watching it, now. But all I remember at the time was the crashing disappointment.

Um, so let's see, I guess I would put in order:

1. ST: TNG
    2. ST: TOS
    3. Voyager
    4. ST: DS9
    5. Animated
    6. Enterprise

Sorry for the long ramble, but I've been a Trekkie from the very beginning and I had a lot to say.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

It was tough for me to decide from among TOS, TNG, and VOY. In the end I went with TNG. TNG had its rough patches, but overall, the stories were engaging (no pun intended ) and the characters were fabulous - especially Picard and Data.

TOS brings back memories. My father introduced me to it when I was 6. It's the first sci-fi I can remember watching, and it really sparked my interest in sci-fi. Interesting stories (for the most part), interesting characters.

VOY had an interesting premise - lost ship trying to get home, no convenient starbase where they can pop in and take on supplies, having to interact with the natives (not all of whom were happy to see them), etc.

As for the others...

ENT had potential, but it never lived up to that potential.

TOS animated series: I've seen a few episodes. Most of them just seemed cheesy, though I do vaguely recall an episode with a young Spock facing his coming-of-age... I don't remember the whole story, but I remember that I enjoyed it.

DS9, I just did not like.
      I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

DS9 - Definitely my favorite Trek, as well as my favorite t.v. show in general. The dark tone was something I'd never really seen in Trek before, and I loved it. The same goes for the long term story arcs. Actually, I adored those. It made me feel like I was watching an epic story unfold. To this day I get emotional when I watch "Duet", or filled with revulsion when Kai Winn is on the screen, or filled with a happy familiarity when Miles and Julian are hanging out in Quark's. To me, DS9 had the best characters, the best stories, and pretty much the best of everything else. I will say this though: I hated Vic Fontaine. Talk about a buzz kill. Once he started singing I'd get bored to tears. Aside from "him" though, I can't think of any other negatives.

TNG - The Trek I grew up on. It'll always have a special place in my heart since I basically had watched all my life up until it ended. I love all the characters (minus Wesley) and a lot of the episodes still move me. Unfortunately, for every episode I still like there are about 5 I can't even watch anymore. I think it's because of the stand-alone story format. With arc stories I can watch over and over looking for clues of what's to come, but with stand-alones, once you've seen that episode you know pretty much all there is to know.

TOS - For the longest time my only knowledge of TOS came from the movies I had, so I never knew how much campy fun was to be had by watching the actual series until a couple of years ago when Skiffy was airing it around 5 at night. I liked it a lot, although there were more than a few times I groaned or rolled my eyes. But no one can deny The Shatner. HALLOWED IS THE SHATNER!

VOY - I watched VOY throughout it's entire run. At first I was interested, but around midway through season 2 I started getting bored. And unfortunately, VOY never did anything to catch my attention again. I watched it because I felt like I had to since it was Trek, but I didn't enjoy it. In fact, I specifically remember being excited every time one of the last episodes aired because I was that much closer to being done with the series. I'm just going to stop now because I could go on all day coomplaining about VOY.

ENT - Well......um.....er.....O_o. In order to save everyone a lot of time and patience, I'm just going to say this: First season sucked. Second season sucked worse. Third season was cool. Fourth season r0x0red my b0x0rz.
        MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Whoah!! DS9 is in the lead??!! Every Trekkie I've ever met (peeps in this forum excluded) has been a TNG fan; I really expected it to be winning hands down, with DS9 in third or even fourth place. But it seems that for once I've chosen the popular one! DS9 is my favorite Trek by far, and always has been.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

DS9 is the best. It had the best stories, the best acting (apart from brooks) and the best characters. It just had so much more depth than the others.

TNG is second. Acting was good, stories were good, but it was a bit soft at times.

TOS is third. Camp but very entertaining, quite advanced stories, even now!

Voyager is forth. I hated the Kaazon, it got dull early. It did pick up after the borg started, but got somewhat unrealistic. Lowest common denominator stuff, I.E lots of CGI battles and a semi naked female. Boring..

Enterprise is last. It was ok, but not what i expected. I didnt like the third season at all, the whole Zindi thing was really poor. The forth season was much better.

Comment

Working...
            X