No announcement yet.

Eulogy (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The The SYFY NETWORK EXECUTIVES, NOT Amanda, or the other producers and writers on the show, but The SYFY NETWORK EXECUTIVES (the guys in charge of the show) made that Ashley dying storyline, then gave it to the show. They finished filming ep 3 in April and she wasn't injured until late May. EU broke her tailbone and had surgery after she left the show, it was all just a coincidence.

If you listen to the end of the podcast DK explain how many variables went into the decision, and I get the impression it's more of a creative decision. EU doesn't hold any ill will toward DK, AT or MW. She knows the nature of the business. She was thankful for the opportunity and the fan base it developed. She may even be able to come back next season. In fact in EU's podcast interview, she said a lot of good things about Amanda. Amanda has NO history of having problems with working with co-stars. AT and Co still have enough control that they said they have a cool way of bringing her back some next season. I don't think it's a personnel decision -it's not because EU was bad. It's a creative (storyline decision) - unfortunately for EU, Ashley is the character she plays. And DK himself said-

"Once we know for sure about a third season, there is definitely an Ashley story in there that we're developing, and I think it's very true to what we've done with the character," Kindler said. "The intention was to never kill her off with any finality. It was always to kill her off in a way that was dubious at best and fraught with inconsistencies and fraught with mystery and isn't completely solved even when they have to put her to rest and move on. I didn't want to milk that horse more than three episodes. I think that gave that arc its due, and then we had to move on to business as usual. We only have 13 episodes." Also, EU has confirmed that she would like to be on future episodes of Sanctuary, and said it's up to the fans to let TPB know that we want her back. She didn't quit. She also said she'd come back as a regular.

Comment

Okay, let's assume for a minute every word of that is true. That, just as with the never really explained and always mysterious deep sixing of Ford in SGA, the Network or the Show Runners or both didn't like the current character and just wanted to upgrade the character slot. We're not exactly getting Ronan this time, are we? I loved Ford and was very irritated by what happened (especially since he could have played the Lorne role very easily if they just wanted him off the frontline team) but I had to admit Ronan was an awesome character. But in that case his awesomeosity was obvious from the very beginning. Haven't seen the slightest indication of that from Kate. Of course, YMMV, it's just my personal opinion.
      “When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy.”
      ~ Jack Hardy

Comment

if TPTB are watching, cruising, fan sites then I think they would know... but that would be hoping too much.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
          Also, EU has confirmed that she would like to be on future episodes of Sanctuary, and said it's up to the fans to let TPB know that we want her back. She didn't quit. She also said she'd come back as a regular.
          From what I've read from EU, she is behaving in a very professional manner. Her encouraging the fans to support Ashley was done in a half joking/low key manner. Even though she's disappointed, she's burning no bridges. I will continue to hope they Ashley back into the show in some form if not full time.

I could see flashbacks at the least. I could also accept that Ashley somehow did escape the zapping field but was injured/lost her memory or the Cabal somehow got her out but were keeping her frozen or something. then when the Cabal was taken out by Druitt she was left in the freezer somewhere to be found later by Helen & Co.

Comment

You know what else I did not like about this eppy was that Henry was really acting out of place. It was almost like the story should have been Will and Ashley and was changed. Henry is a weapons person, a techno geek and that is why we love him. Suddenly in the sewer he is looking at his surroundings and putting things together like Will normally does. WTH! All that was missing was the funky camera action and the sound effects on the clues.

I know he has been around abnormals alot but he was told he could not go from boy scout to James Bond and it seems he has. Not sitting well with me after I watch this eppy a 4th time.

nonononono

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
            Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

Yeah, I would have expected Henry to be in more of a funk, down mode, because of Ashley.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok. This one had me reaching for the kleenex (Other tissues are available)
                As I got emotional towards the end of this episode. Some of the closing dialogue really got to me.
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I watched this episode last night with the commentary on and I think it was MW who said [about the scene with dana at the end] that he saw some guilt in her, like she regrets what she did. I can see that... but i still hate her!
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
                  'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
                  : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
                  I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
                  Indeed

Comment

I just saw this episode for the first time, and it broke my heart. I thought it was well done, good balance of plots. I've liked Kate from the beginning, so I liked seeing her give 'Hank' a hard time. I think all of them were still a bit in shock and carrying on "as usual" and rehoming the abbies explains their behaviour to my satisfaction.

In Henry's defense, I don't see how he could miss that they had landed in the baby's nest. I don't keep a house full of abnormals and I knew that's what they had landed in.

I do have a question. Is there ever, further along in the series, any more closure on Ashley's death? I really don't like her being dead.

ETA: Helen's distress over Ashley was really, I guess, real to me. I watched this episode before bed not knowing the story arc would end so soon. I was not prepared for that at all and I couldn't sleep after it. You know it's nuts when L&O SVU is soothing by comparison.
                    Last edited by Feast of the Muse; 01 May 2011, 03:08 AM.
                    Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                    Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
                      I just saw this episode for the first time, and it broke my heart. I thought it was well done, good balance of plots. I've liked Kate from the beginning, so I liked seeing her give 'Hank' a hard time. I think all of them were still a bit in shock and carrying on "as usual" and rehoming the abbies explains their behaviour to my satisfaction.

In Henry's defense, I don't see how he could miss that they had landed in the baby's nest. I don't keep a house full of abnormals and I knew that's what they had landed in.

I do have a question. Is there ever, further along in the series, any more closure on Ashley's death? I really don't like her being dead.

ETA: Helen's distress over Ashley was really, I guess, real to me. I watched this episode before bed not knowing the story arc would end so soon. I was not prepared for that at all and I couldn't sleep after it. You know it's nuts when L&O SVU is soothing by comparison.
                      I would say no. They move on and continue work but the mention of Ashley always chokes up Helen.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Me. Tears.

Every single time I watch this episode. It's beautiful, both visually and in terms of plot. There are some amazing Magnus/Will moments, and even better straight up Helen moments. Her vulnerability, her desperation, and the edge she's walking trying to get her daughter back is poignant and heartrendingly tangible.

And the ending, the moment where Magnus knows she has to let it go, has to let her daughter rest... it's just so beautiful and sad...

A beautifully done episode, and a perfectly reverent way to say goodbye to a beloved character.

Comment

This is one of my favourite Sanctuary episodes.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                            This is one of my favourite Sanctuary episodes.
                            I can understand why. The serious, sad, emotional part was well-balanced by the more humorous part of the search for the creature.
                            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

so eulogy...a general 'put all the pieces back in place' episode.

we get a good intro of Kate and a shaky beginning iwth her and henry and biggie. we get to see that dr lee is a fussy sort with a chopstick up his.....ahem. (not a bad guy, just rather anal)

Helen clings to hope, any hope, but still is open to will keeping her under control.

Druitt is....oh so compensating for being gone by being enraged now. And notice how he and helen never touched. zero comfort for each other

a good emotional closure and intro of a 'new day' without being too heavy handed with it all.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I also felt they did a very good job with the emotional closure but I do admit that I regret Ashley was killed off. I very much enjoyed the mother/daughter component of the show so I was saddened to see it go. I had hoped they would bring her back but didn't make it as if nothing happened; Ashley, John and Helen would have to deal with the changes to her and with what had happened.

Very good observation Sky, John would not even accept Helen's attempts with verbal comfort; he shut her down each time.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X