No announcement yet.

Breach (307)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Sanctuary still doing everything strictly green screen?

If not, it would be brilliant to do a Sanctuary location tour in Vancouver sometime. Perhaps the next TSE?

I did the Stargate one last July and it was simply amazing. With all the locales Sanctuary is taking us to, it would seem that at least some would be real places rather than strictly computer-generated. At least I'd hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post

If not, it would be brilliant to do a Sanctuary location tour in Vancouver sometime. Perhaps the next TSE?

I did the Stargate one last July and it was simply amazing. With all the locales Sanctuary is taking us to, it would seem that at least some would be real places rather than strictly computer-generated. At least I'd hope so.
      I'm thinking there are a few on location type scenes, since I remember reading that a bit in one episode was filmed in Japan, and there have been a variety of scenes that look to be outdoors and not green screen.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        I'm thinking there are a few on location type scenes, since I remember reading that a bit in one episode was filmed in Japan, and there have been a variety of scenes that look to be outdoors and not green screen.
        That's what I thought but was wondering if it wasn't just a set scene erected on the back lot of the studio. In addition, camera angles and some computer-generated background would make it seem that the mental hospital (for example) was an actual location.

Comment

That's what I thought but was wondering if it wasn't just a set scene erected on the back lot of the studio. In addition, camera angles and some computer-generated background would make it seem that the mental hospital (for example) was an actual location.
          Here's a quote from an interview with Martin Wood last year:

Wood’s final directing credit for season two of Sanctuary is the show’s two-part season finale, Kali, and it might surprise some viewers to learn that the episode has a Bollywood dance sequence in the second half that feature Robin Dunne. “It’s very much part of the story and it comes off perfectly,” says Wood. “I think episode 13 is probably the best show we’ve shot so far. And we actually did some filming in Japan for episode 12 as well. We were invited over there for a quick press conference and were going to be in Tokyo for a little over 72 hours. I looked at Damian and said, ‘Let’s shoot something while we’re there,’ and he said, ‘Sure.’
          Here's a link to the whole interview:

http://scifiandtvtalk.wordpress.com/...son-of-change/

The quote is near the bottom of the page and just above Amanda, Robin, and one of the guests under umbrellas.

Comment

Here's a quote from an interview with Martin Wood last year:

Here's a link to the whole interview:

http://scifiandtvtalk.wordpress.com/...son-of-change/

The quote is near the bottom of the page and just above Amanda, Robin, and one of the guests under umbrellas.
            Thanks for the link.

I knew they actually filmed on location in Japan so was wondering about more local shots around Vancouver for the various other episodes thus far.

Comment

there's some stuff that i can tell is on location, such as walter running down the alley and some of the street shots in various episodes - also in hero 2 at the top of my head.

i think part of Breach was on a real roof, such as when helen is climbing the ladder and going into the white door, but when she steps out of the door, i think that's studio. I think, for safety's sake, when she jumped that was studio (and possibly stunt person)
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link.

I knew they actually filmed on location in Japan so was wondering about more local shots around Vancouver for the various other episodes thus far.
                There's also that chase scene in the episode where we meet Kate. Who's house was that Helen and Robin went up to? Or was that on a stage also?

Comment

i think it was a house.
                  stages always look...oh too perfect. the lighting is too good, the stuff placed too perfectly. for something that short, it was probably easier to get a house to borrow for the shoot.

I think all of kali was either in their backlot (the slums), the set/green screen (the boats, helicopters, the throne room, the sanctuary), i think the daravi sanctuary was also part set/green screen.

obviously for firewall it was all sets, Hero 2 had a good amount of location stuff I think. probably harder to make a warehouse than it was to use one. we know that much of breach was on location at the hospital (i think the roof bits were on a set). Animus, the library stuff was all on a set as we know, and i think the hospital parts were on location (were they possibly on the same location as Breach? both hospitals)

bank job, might have been a set. with some location stuff (henry outside), but since they were all in the same bank, i think it was a set

sigpic

Comment

You're right, they don't really do much location work on Sanctuary, Breach was an exception though since most of it was shot at Riverview Mental Hospital. (But I have to agree some of the roof stuff looked studio/green screen)
                    Other than that what I can tell from interviews and DVD commentaries, if they do shoot something outside for real it's in proximity to the studio, on their parking lot or in the street near by, or just using the studio building as background. I think the episode Instinct was shot in a warehouse next door.

So except for Riverview and Tokyo, I only can recall the ep Revelations to be shoot on location. (Where they find the entrance to the underground.) I'm sure there are a few other places too they've been to but I can't recall right now. And as they keep saying being on location for them is a luxury since they don't have the budget other shows do.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                      I still want to see where, when, and how Helen learned to fight. They did an episode of Xena where we saw her learn to fight and use physic powers or something. She went to a female ninja or something.
                      I may be in the minority here, but I *don't* want to necessarily see how she learned to fight. I like that we don't know *everything* about her.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      that said, yes, helen does dress well. she's someone who's grown up to appreciate quality, and has always been in the situation to be able to afford it. quality but not ostentation.
                      True. I will have to check out those boots on a rewatch.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      i think part of Breach was on a real roof, such as when helen is climbing the ladder and going into the white door, but when she steps out of the door, i think that's studio.
                      That's what I thought too.

Comment

the way she walked in and out of that door was how I've seen actors do it when they're trying not to show to the camera that there's nothing but plywood beyond it. She didn't walk through the doors as much as slipped in and out

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post
                          I don't think the era of the gas mask has anything to do with when Helen originally knew Adam. If Adam was the inspiration for Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde it was well before WWI. Stevenson's novels were written in the late 1800s (J&H in 1894, just looked it up).
                          'Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was published in 1886.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                            Adam did say something like it had been 100 years since they'd seen each other.

Comment

Adam did say something like it had been 100 years since they'd seen each other.
                              I was just correcting the date ddc mentioned.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                                I was just correcting the date ddc mentioned.
                                ooops! Didn't mean for it to sound like I was correcting anything, sorry.

Though the 100 year thing had me thinking if what he said was accurate, Helen would have been about 60 in 1910 or thereabouts, maybe older, since she now should be about 160 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X