No announcement yet.

Instinct (111)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOVED Ashley's lock picking skills. At first mention I was reminded of Sam Carter's expertise in this area and thought it a nice throw back. What I didnt expect though was how she managed it. I laughed out loud with it.

My favorite line, "I can pick that." (followed by the smash as she blows the incubator contraption lock) hehe..sweet.

The way this ep was filmed was bothering the heck out of me though. Very nice idea. I can appreciate their desire to do something different. I did feel like grabbing the camera away about halfway through though as I felt I could do a better job of keeping the thing steadier.

Poor Ashley. I wonder why she doesnt get many dates. Is it that she's such a 'workaholic' with little time for romance or is it that she feels she's not worthy of anyone's affection for some reason. She's certainly beautiful enough imo.

The 'bug' reminded me of a walking stick...though of enormous proportion of course. Anyone seen one of these before?

Pretty good ep overall and Yay that Helen got the last laugh.

Comment

loved the ep was one of the top 5 so far.
      Loved ashley in the ep. felt bad for her when zach died.
      I think Amy could be quite a good enemy of the Sanctuary's granted she couldnt be like the cobal, but i think she could be quite a kinsey to them!
      thoughts?

Click Signature for my take on all things in life, also known as my BLOG!!
      Please Read and if it interest you make a comment

Atlantis -
      SG1 -

Comment

just watched instinct and i quite liked it

it probably would have been my fav ep if i hadnt watched cloverfield which was ripped off big time from this especially when he turns on the cameralight and the lizard is stood rite there, that bit was just taken out of cloverfield and plonked in, the exact same thing happened.

loved all the character moments but where was bigfoot
        and the cameraman was rely annoying

6/10 for character moments not for originality

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

Reasonable episode, better than Warriors.

I too immediately wondered how on earth they where going to get the container out of there with the police/SWAT on the outside. It's not like they could have left it there intending to pick it up after the sweep, in case the cops searched it!

I also didn't like the warehouse guy role that much. It's a smart person that studies their enemy's movements, and like he did, work out it's operating method. After all he saw it kill his collegues and probably realised that mindless panic would only get him killed and that he'd stand more chance of survival to be calm and think, but to then just go "hey i'll sacrifice my life for you 2 who have recklessly come in here only for the story, and have no intention of helping anyone else trapped in here" was a bit off.

I did expect Amy to double cross them, after all given that she was more interested in the story getting the scoop on the monster and the Sanctuary would have been too much of a temptation to her.
          sigpic

Comment

Main rule of anything filmed with a shaky cam, the cameraman is gonna bite it.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
              I also didn't like the warehouse guy role that much. It's a smart person that studies their enemy's movements, and like he did, work out it's operating method. After all he saw it kill his collegues and probably realised that mindless panic would only get him killed and that he'd stand more chance of survival to be calm and think, but to then just go "hey i'll sacrifice my life for you 2 who have recklessly come in here only for the story,
              Yeah, that was kind of out of left field. I was sort of rooting for the abnormal to get the annoying Amy but I knew that wouldn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ori soldier View Post
                just watched instinct and i quite liked it

it probably would have been my fav ep if i hadnt watched cloverfield which was ripped off big time from this especially when he turns on the cameralight and the lizard is stood rite there, that bit was just taken out of cloverfield and plonked in, the exact same thing happened.

loved all the character moments but where was bigfoot
                and the cameraman was rely annoying

6/10 for character moments not for originality
                Well, I don't watch the show you mention, but having the alien/creature/ whatever be right behind them is a device from time immemorial. I thought it was effectively done, though.

Comment

I thought the warehouse guy was setting them up; that door was close enough that he coulda made it. The only distraction he woulda needed was to knock some stuff down, or some shelves over, or set off a fire alarm.

But I thought it was brave of him to offer himself as a plot device , and then to add another level of 'crap' to the situation. (actually, did tptb need to add 'neurotoxins' to the list of things for this monster? It was already super fast, strong, able to climb walls and hide silently. Poison just seems like over kill....)

Comment

Though lots of insects are poisonous. It made sense there'd be venom.

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
                      Oh man the shaky cam! As mush as I appreciate what they tried to do in this ep, I got so dizzy around half-way through I had to give it up as I was literally close to vomitting.
                      A movie called "Cloverfield" was made in the same way, everything that was seen was filmed with a hand camera by one man. Something very different and interesting. I loved this ep (again), the story was good and exciting, I felt sorry for Zack and would have liked to know how did they manage to eliminate the other creature and get out of the building.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                        I also didn't like the warehouse guy role that much. It's a smart person that studies their enemy's movements, and like he did, work out it's operating method. After all he saw it kill his collegues and probably realised that mindless panic would only get him killed and that he'd stand more chance of survival to be calm and think, but to then just go "hey i'll sacrifice my life for you 2 who have recklessly come in here only for the story, and have no intention of helping anyone else trapped in here" was a bit off.
                        that guy was the only part of the ep i didn't care for either. the one scene, where he's dying/foaming at the mouth: i didn't care for the way it was done. had a 'slight' cheesy feel to it.

but that's the only thing i didn't like.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Woo, I’m back from a lovely Caribbean cruise plus some sightseeing in Florida with the family, and the first thing I make sure to do when I got home was to catch up on the Sanctuary I missed last week.

I agree with what several people have said that I thought this was a really good team episode, the first time really I think we get to see the team (minus Bigfoot ) working together like a fully-functioning unit. I really enjoyed seeing that teamwork, coordinating strategy, laying down covering fire for each other and backing each other up, and then that great celebration moment when they bag the first creature. I also loved that they still had some tensions within the team, like Will and Ashley's exasperation that Helen still wanted to capture the creature alive. Teamy goodness all the way.

The action bits were a tad predictable, especially the second bug, but I really enjoyed all the character moments. Seeing Will’s growth from forgetting the safety in Fata Morgana to competently handling a gun. I also liked that he tried to comfort the reporter even as Ashley, Helen, and Henry continued their shooting.

I loved Henry's nervousness on being on his first real field mission, seeing him trying to have confidence in himself and his abilities, and still knowing when to not push too far by offering to take the warehouse guy to the van. His interactions with the reporter were also great, as was the 'awesome' after she kissed him at the end. I think they've done a fantastic job of making Henry a fully-realized character with the limited time they were given this season, and I can't wait to see what they do in season 2.

I also enjoyed Ashley's reaction to the camera guy asking her out. At first I did think she was humoring him when she asked for a raincheck, because up 'till then I thought she was just ticked at having to deal with him and the reporter while also dealing with the bug. But the sort of shy smile she had when she said she did like him changed my mind and it felt more like she just wasn't used to guys asking her out. Which of course made it all the more tragic when he died soon after that.

Helen was fantastic as she usually is, and I especially enjoyed the final bit with the camera harddisk as well as faking the reporter and camera guy out when they were eavesdropping. I honestly believed the reporter had had a change of heart when she was asking for the footage because of how guilty she seemed about getting her camera guy killed. So I didn't expect the twist in the final scene but it was great to see. As others have said, you just can't play Helen.

The shaky cam style got a bit much sometimes, but I think it worked for the episode and I'm a total sucker for long takes with little to no cuts. I also really enjoyed Rehka Sharma as the reporter, not the least because she's Indian , and I kinda hope she becomes a semi-reoccurring character rather like Julia Donovan in Stargate.

Phew that's a long post for Christmas Day, but I've missed being able to ramble about Sanctuary for the past week or so.

So Merry Christmas to all, I'm off for some more hot chocolate and cookies!

EDIT: Whoa, just realized that this is my 400th post and I've gone from a Death Glider Pilot to a Second Lieutenant. I rather liked the goa'uld labels and was looking forward to someday become a system lord.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            Yeah, that was kind of out of left field. I was sort of rooting for the abnormal to get the annoying Amy but I knew that wouldn't happen.
                            I wish the creature had eaten Amy too...it was her fault she and Zac were in the warehouse...silly girl!
                            Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                            A movie called "Cloverfield" was made in the same way, everything that was seen was filmed with a hand camera by one man. Something very different and interesting. I loved this ep (again), the story was good and exciting, I felt sorry for Zack and would have liked to know how did they manage to eliminate the other creature and get out of the building.
                            I'm figuring that Cloverfield is the Blair Witch Project??? Or is it something else??? Coz than I have no idea what you're all talking about!!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                              I'm figuring that Cloverfield is the Blair Witch Project??? Or is it something else??? Coz than I have no idea what you're all talking about!!
                              Oh, sorry. Should have added a link.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                                Oh, sorry. Should have added a link.
                                Definitely not what I thought it was....never seen Cloverfield...am I missing anything special??
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X