No announcement yet.

The Five (107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, I think I've got a new favorite ep.

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
    Hmmmm... I think it might be long life, otherwise why would John need her blood to survive? And why would he say that the others will come too? My take is that each got just the gifts John mentioned to Ashley, and they're all (or at least one or two of them) using Helen's gift to stay alive.
    But arent vampires immortal? Don't exactly know why, but I've always believed this.

If this is the case, then everyone of the Five is capable of death but their souls would be immortal because of the blood they injected. Each then would receive another side effect and going on John's 'simple but elegant' talk of what Helen received it makes me wonder what she might have. I have no clue what Helen's might be, but it seems she's the only one who is able to keep it under control and hidden.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    given that she 'froze the embryo until she could bear the loneliness no longer, then brought it to term', i'm thinking she gave herself hte injection before, not after. IMHO, ashley had to have been conceived around the time helen found out that john was JtR and was part of her decision to stop john and to run from him
    My thoughts exactly, but did they have the technology back in the 1880's to freeze an embryo? And heck, even before this, did they have the technology to even extract an egg and do the fertilization?

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post

My thoughts exactly, but did they have the technology back in the 1880's to freeze an embryo? And heck, even before this, did they have the technology to even extract an egg and do the fertilization?
      I put that down to Helen being way ahead of her time in medical stuff.

With the connection for The Five going back to Oxford I was glad they mentioned her auditing classes, another indication of how much attention they pay to historic detail. Several of the Women's Colleges would have been in existance when Helen was there, and she could have attended classes & taken exams but would not have received a degree. There were a small number of women MDs then, but studying medicine then was more of an apprentiship which she must have done after leaving Oxford. Maybe motivated by the experiment that changed them all.

No clue who the Watson of The Five was. Given the "mutations" to their DNA that the experiments caused my first thought was Watson of Watson & Crick, but he was mid-20th Century. Unless the "real" Watson was actually a lot older than the records show, maybe officially the grandson of this Watson when he's really the same person? Their identities and credentials over all these years must have been a challenge; I'd be interested in some references to how they've all dealt with it.
      DDC

Comment

the first test tube baby was in the 70's i think. so i still see no 'real' way fro helen to have conceived, removed (or test tubed her) and froze ashely during the point in time....unless she hung out or ran into druitt less than 50 years ago and dealt with it.

which kinda contradicts the impression that helen has been running and hiding from john for decades (that's what i got from eps 1, that john literally hadn't seen her for a very long time)
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          <snip>
          Remember though, that it isn't our world, it's their world which is similar but not the same as ours. Damian went originally for a steam punk and League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen style. I like how they are taking things from our world but putting a twist on them.

I also like the speculation on the remaining two of The Five, I'm wondering if one of them is actually The Cabal leader?? I like this waiting for things to be revealed I also like that they answered questions in The Five but didn't really answer them fully and raised quite a few more questions.

I'd like more episodes like this please
          -

Comment

i can see one of them being the Kabal leader.

either watson or the invisible one, griffin

we might end up with something like the x-men....helen (xavier) trying to help/train mutants/abbys, tesla/magnus/magneto in the 'we're the next evolution to heck with the humans' camp, druitt caught in the middle, along with whomever of the five isn't the leader of the Kabal.

and we'll muddy that with the question, how much of helen's 'idea' is sincere, or, in her inner core, does she also buy into the 'superiority' of a species. Of course, she was raised in the victorian 'white men are da bomb of evolution' era. so does she really and honestly feel for the abbys, or are they just charges and study subjects of hers?

as to the embryo, well there's also that massively advanced city across the river...what if their world suffered some sort of cataclysm and they've 'started over', which is the accounting for the primitive side helen lives in and the pretty advanced side across the river...and why as the bridge cut?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cree View Post
              fantastic episode!
              LOVED tessla!
              I think that the watson is this one
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_A._Watson

so whoever it was who suggested dr watson from sherlock holmes was wrong. but no matter as we wont know untill its revealed
              No, the name was definitely James Watson. Check out the info on the new episode guide posted by Darren.
              Details On The Rest of Season One
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....15&postcount=1

Beware of spoilers.

Spoiler:
              REVELATIONS, PART 1

<excerpt>
              Magnus is contacted by Dr. James Watson, another member of The Five and head of the U.K. Sanctuary...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mala50 View Post
                No, the name was definitely James Watson. Check out the info on the new episode guide posted by Darren.
                Details On The Rest of Season One
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....15&postcount=1

Beware of spoilers.

Spoiler:
                REVELATIONS, PART 1

<excerpt>
                Magnus is contacted by Dr. James Watson, another member of The Five and head of the U.K. Sanctuary...
                Spoilers for Ep 12+13:
                Spoiler:
                I believe Dr. Watson is going to be played by Peter Wingfield.

I adored him in Highlander. If Watson is one of the Five and runs the UK Sanctuary, it gives me hope that he will be back next season. I really can't wait for these eps.

I wonder when Nigel Griffin will show up?

Comment

I have watched THE FIVE a dozen times it is so awsome i love this episode so much

It was great seeing a softer side to Druitt i can see why Magnus likes him and Tesla it was a cool seeing he's a vampire and finding out how Helen got her longevity WOW ! i love seeing the flash back's .

Favorite scene's

1. Tesla getting pinned to the wall and Helen telling him to get down
                  2. Tesla saying he loves her
                  3. John and Ashley i loved how Ashley found out Druitt is her dad
                  4. Druitt and Ashley working together to save Helen
                  5. i loved it when Helen called Tesla an ''obnoxious a**''
                  6. and just seeing John and Helen together boath in the flashback and when he saves her

Very cool
                  sigpic
                  (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

They come in 3's...

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                    BTW, his name was Nikola Tesla, based on the real life inventor/engineer:

Nikola Tesla
                    thanks for this. That was really interesting to read. And now that I've watched "The Five" for the 3rd time I can see the idiosyncrasies that embodied Nikola Tesla. It said that later in his life he became obsessed with the number 3 and if you look closely you'll notice its prevalence in the episode.

-3 stories going on: Will, Henry and Bigfoot at the Sanctuary; Helen and Tesla in Rome; Druitt and Ashley in the warehouse.
                    -only 3 of "The Five" were seen; Helen, John and Nikola.
                    -3 places that John took Ashley while they were fighting: Japan, Hell, Falling from a building
                    -Tesla saying that Magnus had 3 minutes before she would be killed
                    -Tesla resurrected 3 "mini-me" vampires
                    -Magnus shot Tesla 3 times in the chest before escaping
                    -Henry had 3 body piercings (hee!)

of course, i could be seeing 3 up the whazoo, but...okay, i can't think of anything more.

But I digress, after reading about Tesla, I got all the jokes about Edison being a cheapskate (Edison paid him 18 dollars a week and bought his patents dirt cheap), John's disdain for Tesla saying that he leached off of Marconi (Tesla sued him I think). And the plans for the deathray or peace-ray as the press called it, that he gave to both the US govt and European countries. ("Whose hair-brained idea was it to give the plans to all the governments of the Allied Forces anyways? - Magnus...to which he joked "I had my Nobel Prize speech all memorized.")

So much stuff. I loved it! They got his character down from his obsessive-compulsiveness, his meticulousness, his arrogance, his penchant for living in hotels, how he was always bit of a showman. Tesla reminds me of Mozart from the movie "Amadeus."

And that "electrifying" kiss that he gave Magnus in the beginning. I noticed that he wasn't even holding her to him and she kind of had to pry herself off of him as if he were a magnet...hmmm..
                    sigpic

Sam Carter Tribute

Comment

Originally posted by bossluna View Post
                      thanks for this. That was really interesting to read. And now that I've watched "The Five" for the 3rd time I can see the idiosyncrasies that embodied Nikola Tesla. It said that later in his life he became obsessed with the number 3 and if you look closely you'll notice its prevalence in the episode.

-3 stories going on: Will, Henry and Bigfoot at the Sanctuary; Helen and Tesla in Rome; Druitt and Ashley in the warehouse.
                      -only 3 of "The Five" were seen; Helen, John and Nikola.
                      -3 places that John took Ashley while they were fighting: Japan, Hell, Falling from a building
                      -Tesla saying that Magnus had 3 minutes before she would be killed
                      -Tesla resurrected 3 "mini-me" vampires
                      -Magnus shot Tesla 3 times in the chest before escaping
                      -Henry had 3 body piercings (hee!)

of course, i could be seeing 3 up the whazoo, but...okay, i can't think of anything more.
                      Very cool list!

But I digress, after reading about Tesla, I got all the jokes about Edison being a cheapskate (Edison paid him 18 dollars a week and bought his patents dirt cheap), John's disdain for Tesla saying that he leached off of Marconi (Tesla sued him I think). And the plans for the deathray or peace-ray as the press called it, that he gave to both the US govt and European countries. ("Whose hair-brained idea was it to give the plans to all the governments of the Allied Forces anyways? - Magnus...to which he joked "I had my Nobel Prize speech all memorized.")

So much stuff. I loved it! They got his character down from his obsessive-compulsiveness, his meticulousness, his arrogance, his penchant for living in hotels, how he was always bit of a showman. Tesla reminds me of Mozart from the movie "Amadeus."
                      Wow, that's cool to see how many details of the real Tesla they were able to put into the Sanctuary character. On my third viewing I noticed how he kept wiping his hands with his handkerchief, which seems to fit with the real Tesla's personality. Thanks for the info!

And that "electrifying" kiss that he gave Magnus in the beginning. I noticed that he wasn't even holding her to him and she kind of had to pry herself off of him as if he were a magnet...hmmm..
                      Well he does seem to be able to manipulate electricity, so it stands to reason he can also generate a magnetic field with that ability.

sigpic

Comment

magnets, it all comes down to magnets

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                          Very cool list!

Wow, that's cool to see how many details of the real Tesla they were able to put into the Sanctuary character. On my third viewing I noticed how he kept wiping his hands with his handkerchief, which seems to fit with the real Tesla's personality. Thanks for the info!

Well he does seem to be able to manipulate electricity, so it stands to reason he can also generate a magnetic field with that ability.
                          I think he killed the guy he threw using his superstrength early on with his fingernails. So he had to wipe the blood off. Not sure Helen noticed.

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post

No clue who the Watson of The Five was. Given the "mutations" to their DNA that the experiments caused my first thought was Watson of Watson & Crick, but he was mid-20th Century. Unless the "real" Watson was actually a lot older than the records show, maybe officially the grandson of this Watson when he's really the same person? Their identities and credentials over all these years must have been a challenge; I'd be interested in some references to how they've all dealt with it.
                            first off, GREAT discussions going on! (it's making me think. ah oh)

i could have sworn i read amanda saying that sherlock holmes would pop up somehow. hope i didn't imagine it...
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                              first off, GREAT discussions going on! (it's making me think. ah oh)

i could have sworn i read amanda saying that sherlock holmes would pop up somehow. hope i didn't imagine it...
                              Actually I'm kinda hoping that Mary & Percy Bysshe Shelley will show up along with Lord Byron. The whole "The Five" group kinda reminds me of a different "five" that spent the "Lost Summer" of 1816 on Lake Geneva, Switzerland: Mary, Shelley, Byron, Dr. John William Polidori, and Claire Clairmont (Mary's half-sister or cousin - not sure). (The reason it was called the Lost Summer was because Mount Tambora in Inodonesia erupted. The ash fallout wreaked havoc on weather patterns across the world.) The group stayed indoors and challenged each other to tell the best horror story. This is where Mary Shelley's story "Frankenstein" was born. We've seen vampires and now (maybe) a werewolf. How about the resurrected monster? You know, Magnus strikes me as a bit of a Dr. Frankenstein herself. The only real trouble I see incorporating this group is that they're a bit older for Magnus' generation. Maybe her father's?

mfw

Comment

I am still curious as to how Tesla was able to activate those lights...

Unless of course the Sanctuary vampires are different than the traditional scifi ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X