Sanctuary For All (101-102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Jan you forgot one of my favorites
    You can thank Jan for the screen shot she captured it.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
      I can't begin to put into words how ****ing amazing that was. I now see what Damian was talking about as to the "CSI" type stuff. Not too much of it, but it's interesting.

Of course, I knew of EVERY part used from the webisodes, and what was added/changed. The coroner scenes were completely the same, and I assume the train and subway going buy before Ashley gets off her bike are reused. Ashley with the umbrella was from the webisodes and cut at the end (when John popped in in the alley), and her going into the subway was also from it. The 1888 scene was the same footage, but they changed the lighting and background behind Helen. They also added the part with the close up on John's face below the eyes, and when Helen checks on the prostitute (I think).

In the second half, Amanda flipping had me twisted around her finger. Well, first off, my jar LITERALLY dropped when she went to "talk" to the mermaid. From any scene on with her, she was soooooooooooooo hot, but I was also very entranced in the story.

Something else I'd like to touch on is Helen's attitude. She is indeed VERY blunt. A few examples: the "You got in the way line" , from that same scene telling Will that she... *ahem* wants him , and at the very end she immediately informs Will of her age right at the end (or before he finishes) his sentence.

I just had to jump up and down when I got up to turn my computer back on after that. I mean... DUDE!

Slightly OT:
      Spoiler:
      So my mother and sister came home exactly when the second airing started. They see the signs I put up and and are standing in the doorway just staring at me. I give them a gesture with my hand/arm to shoo, and then say please. They stand there some more and my mother asks, "what are you watching? A movie?" I say no and then she asks, "oh, you watching your girlfriend?"

I again shoo them. Good lord, if only she knew... CRAP, she's going to have to if I want to go to London.
      Oh I know how you feel
      Spoiler:
      I'm sitting there, watching the show, taping it of course, and everytime my dad would come by I'd have to swich to the game I was playing on my PS3 . I saw half that night, half this morning, thanks to good old dad .

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
      OH YES! Something that has really caught my attention is the music. I simply can NOT get over it's effect on the mood being portrayed. I just find it so very strong.
      The music was wicked , mostly in the ending credits.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      review time now!

i'm going to start with the cons.

*there were 'moments' where i could see the special effects, like funny blurring on someone's face or background image. but this was minor and few.

*i thought the actress that played the up-to-date prostitute killed by john wasn't very good. in fact, oy! i was going to say some of the prob was the dialog, but no, it was her. sorry actress.

*in the scene where the gang rescued ashley from the monster thinger; i didn't care for the look of it. the monster itself looked weird or fake, but i felt the actors were really trying to work around not really seeing what they were supposed to be seeing.

*the scene where ash and helen are in her office and john suddenly pops up. it's when he grabs ash and is facing helen, i felt the editing was off or something. suddenly helen looked upset, and it needed more getting there, you know? so i felt it was the editing.

*it needed more helen.

okay, now the pros.

everything else!

*ashley was more likeable. and toned down.

*i enjoyed seeing will's back story fleshed out more. it was almost too much it some ways, but it was still good to see it, and it made more sense for why he'd want to join this group and leave his other life behind.

*i loved the changes to john's story. chris is a very good actor and is going to make this character even more enthralling.

*i liked henry's convos with helen. while she's very prim and proper, he's totally in the now and it was fun to see helen having to deal with that.

*did i mention i'm glad they toned ashley down?

*i liked the helen-will scene where they're on the sanctuary roof. the effects were great, but the soul of the moment is what i loved. you felt more of helen's melancholy.

*the last scene with helen and will was very nice too. i liked the feel of it.

my number one fave thing, though, was helen. okay, that's easy to figure out, since amanda's my fave actress.

i liked the new concept of helen's blood being important. but i wonder *why* her blood is important...

and just what did she do to john? and when he started crumbling(?) before disappearing, what exactly did he say to helen?

the helen-john storyline is my fave part of this series so far. not only is john her weakness, but just the idea of him being jack the ripper is *very* interesting to me. amanda and chris work very well off one another. i can't say i ship then together, but i find the concept of them totally great.

i think the premier was very good, but i can't say great. maybe trimming some of will's intro stuff would have made it better for me.

but, i think most show premiers are like this, finding their feet and groove. i expect the next ep to be even smoother.

i'm going to watch this ep again tonight, but this time with my sidekick mom. i know i'm going to enjoy it even more!!

ROCK ON SANCTUARY!!

sally
      ROCK ON SANCTUARY

ROCK ON AMANDA/HELEN

ROCK ON SALLY

i can not wait to see her life's journeys shown to us!!! helen's such an enthralling character. she kind of reminds me of xena, in only that she's lived and seen some dark things that have shaped her to someone very intense.

sally http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/1...gnusanifj5.gif
      Except Amanda/Helen's cooler .

loved that scene!, with helen saying she just told him her deepest and darkest secret. wonderfully played by amanda!

i enjoyed the premier even more the second time!!

and a scene i'd not picked up on the first time was when john had just taken ashley away and helen quickly went to the computer to look at the monitors to find ash... i LOVED how amanda acted this scene!! i was with my mom and as soon as the scene was done, i asked her if i could rewind it to see it again. i'd not noticed it last night, but this time... wow, amanda's voice, that inflection of fear and the look on her face... wonderful!!

and one of the scenes i said had odd or poor editing (john grabbing ashley and helen seeming to be suddenly upset) didn't come off that way the second time. maybe because i was knowing what to expect? i don't know, but i feel differently about it now.

sometimes something has to be seen a second time to pick up on things and to feel the full essence of it. watching it again has made me fall for it. and by the time the last scene had finished playing, and i saw just helen's face on the screen... i'm falling in love with this character, just the way i did with sam.

my score's went from 4 to 4.5. yes, the extra half means something.

BRING ON MORE SANCTUARY!!

BRING ON MORE HELEN!!!

sally
      More Helen, means more Amanda...hmm... good idea Sally .

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
        One part that stuck with me was when Helen and Will were on the roof, and she was trying to convince him to join, and she said "It's a massive leap of faith". As soon as she said that, I kept thinking of all the times in interviews Amanda said leaving SG and coming to Sanctuary was a big big leap of faith on her part. I really do think that was definitely a reference to Amanda. Anyone else think so?
        i felt/picked up on that too, rocky! i mean, it might not have been put in there for that reason, but like you, i've read amanda say that in more than one interview, so i felt the connection too.

The part that scared me a little was when Helen and John were talking, and he started getting mad and yelling, I thought he was gonna hit her , and I'm thinking "oh, don't you dare, don't you dare."
        i don't think i thought john (i keep wanting to type jack ) was going to hit her, but he scared ME find enough! chris is really a very intense actor. (sooo glad he's on the show!)

And the last scene with her and will was really sweet, and I liked that scene with her and an 8 year-old Will, it was really touching.
        that last scene was *perfect* for the show! just the right tone and feel... and made me feel 'oh, helen! (((helen)))' just watching it.

The show really met my expectations very nicely and although I wanted more-- a lot more Helen scenes, of course . Amanda was amazing, and top-notch, it was a fantastic feeling to see her staring in her own show, being the lead, the boss and I really can't wait for some Helen centred episodes.
        is there no doubt that amanda can carry a show? look at how many ptb are trusting her talent and charm to do so!

and the best part of the ending credits was when I saw Amanda's name under the Executive producer title. *Wink* Can't wait to see the opening credits next week, and more Amanda/Helen screen time.
        i missed seeing amanda's ending credits title!

you know, we, as amanda fans, are VERY lucky to have something else to grab on to! i haven't taken that for granted and i don't think i ever will. but if there's such a thing as karma, amanda's definitely on their good side!

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

This was great!

I kept comparing the pilot to the webisodes, and looking for re-used footages, but mostly I got pulled into the story. The beginning was a bit slow, but it got just great for the end. So far I'm more than happy with it.
          sigpic

Comment

What's the difference between this thread and the Episode 1 live discussion thread?
            Should we be posting here or there?
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

very very cool premire

i have high hopes for this series and starting out great
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                Oh I know how you feel
                Spoiler:
                I'm sitting there, watching the show, taping it of course, and everytime my dad would come by I'd have to swich to the game I was playing on my PS3 . I saw half that night, half this morning, thanks to good old dad .
                See, I won't ever be able to understand why you do that. I don't give a CRAP what my parents think, I'm watching my flipping shows.

The music was wicked , mostly in the ending credits.
                End... credits...

*eye twitches*

D*** YOU SCIFI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

WAIT!

*goes to hulu*

Oh... m... f... g...

I'm sadden that it has changed, BUT THIS IS SO FRAKKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i have just watch it. Sanctuary i must admit is FREAKING AWSOME!!!!!! i am a huge SG-1 fan but i have to say this Amanda Tapping is Amazing! she also looks really hot. her hair looks good. big change from blond to brown but i love it!!!!

Comment

I enjoyed that, more please.
                      • Didn't think it was particularly slow paced, which seemed to be the main criticism in the online reviews. But then, British shows are paced differently to US ones.
                      • Amanda's accent was fine, what are they grousing about?
                      • Recruiting Wil in the rain reminded me of Catherine and Daniel in the Stargate film.
                      • Wil reminded me of Daniel quite a lot. This is not a bad thing in my book.
                      • Virtual sets worked very well, now let's get more creative with the monsters, it they are all virtual, they don't need to look like a man in a Gorn suit.
                      • Helen's script was a bit stilted, but I bet that will improve and loosen; I understand what they were aiming at, given the age of the character, but it worked better for Druitt. Tweaking, that's all that's needed.

It's quite derivative, Helen reminds me of our Chuck (Charles Xavier to you) and Wil's Mum's death reminded me of the Wendigo eating the Canadian family in Uncanny X-Men (kills the dad, son runs off, Logan, Kurt and Alpha Flight turn up just as it's about to eat the mother, hijinks ensue, ah, them were the days... 1980 google tells me!). The captured monsters have turned up before too, everything from The Island of Doctor Moreau (HG Wells and even older than me) to Moira MacTaggert penning her son on Muir Island (became Proteus) and the Warpies, created by Jaspers Warp in Captain Britain and looked after by the RCX, in Excalibur - the underground lab reminded me of the RCX base, where various grades of Warpies were kept, including the Serpents, those too deformed and wild to be trained (Excalibur 62/63 from 1992 - beautifully drawn by Alan Davis, and penned by him too, I'd forgotten that).
                      There are many more examples but I'm trusting the creative team to go off in their own direction with this, which they will given time.

Solid acting, good effects, interesting premise. It's no 'Life on Mars' but then, I wasn't expecting it to be. It could possibly do with a bit more of Torchwood's edge to go with the dark look but I'll be tuning in and I hope lots of others do to.

And the Morrigan, I believe? One of my favourite goddess'. Looking forward to next week

FF
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                        What's the difference between this thread and the Episode 1 live discussion thread?
                        Should we be posting here or there?
                        do we want a 'webby 1-4 vs eps 101/102' thread?

if so we can make one
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Really enjoyed the premier! Loved it! Amanda was awesome, Ashley was funny, really liked the Ashley/Helen dynamic. Ashley seemed so excited and Helen kept telling her to shut up. lol Really liked what CH did with John. Will was good too.

my ships

Comment

Originally posted by girlinabox View Post
                            Really enjoyed the premier! Loved it! Amanda was awesome, Ashley was funny, really liked the Ashley/Helen dynamic. Ashley seemed so excited and Helen kept telling her to shut up. lol Really liked what CH did with John. Will was good too.
                            I enjoyed the scene where Helen grounds Ashley - "No you will not go out arms dealing tonight!"
                            Mothers and daughters are the same, even if they don't all argue over arms deals. Though my mother is 34 years older than me and that's quite an age difference, the idea of an age gap of over a hundred years... shudder.

FF
                            sigpic

Comment

If this series teaches us anything, it's - let Amanda Tapping wear dresses.

Comment

the truly talented can kick ass in 3 inch heels
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X