Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Opinion/Feeling on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steff View Post
    Everyone's Opinions/Feelings on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

No data needed to support what you think. This is your gut feelings..

Let the Discussion begin.

No one is right here. Everyone play nice
    Just what I expected! Thank you honey!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      I think it's 50/50. Beedie has apparently been giving them funding, i base this solely on seeing 'special thanks' or something like that in the credits.

the ratings havent' been all that great. Overall fan opinions also seem to trend that s3.5 was uneven and weak (like instead of 13 zingers we got 13 good, 3 zingers and the rest filler) However, if the ratings are 'low' (which is a relative term by the way) we don't know the renewal threshold. FOr all we know the current ratings make them a profit.

I do also agree if there is a s5 that'll be it. They'll hit the 60+ episode syndication mark and it'll be over with them moving onto something else.
      60 episode mark? I thought the syndication mark was 100 episodes? I think that as long as it pulls at least a 1.3 average, it's OK. I keep thinking back to it's 1.4 and a 0.5 demo.

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
      I think sanctuary is on the fence, it could go either way. It has a few episodes left and ratings haven't been all that stellar. They may get another year, but I wouldn't be shocked if it got cancelled.

If there is a season 5 - I think it will be the last. Syfy seems to have more reality type shows on now than scripted shows. I don't think they are trying to do away with scripted show, I just think it's cheaper to make the reality shows. I've even heard next season there is going to be a syfy reality game show with Urkel (Jaleel White) hosting.

My personal preference on what I like about sanctuary and wish they would do more of ... The stories involving the Five. I think the Five has always been the show's strongest asset, but they always seemed to have difficulty meshing The Five story arcs with the current team story arcs. I think the Five was just a way to explain who Helen was/is but the characters were so much more fleshed out that it kinda created a whole other series within a series. The Five's lengthy complicated past offered more stories than the monster of the week. While the hollow earth was a very good attempt at bringing both the five and the current team together it's kinda been hit and miss for me.
      Oy, Syfy and it's non-Syfy shows.

It seems that 5 seasons is the max number of their shows. I mean, SG-1, SGA and Eureka, and I'd be proud if it went 5 seasons, which a very good for any sci-fi show.

Comment

I've read all the posts and here's what I can say:

- I don't think the numbers have been good lately but they were quite good at the beginning. As Steff said, what could save the show would be the demo because the show is stable with its 0.4% even when viewers are down to 900.000 (impressive, by the way!)

- I hope there'll be another season too, but... I've been quite disappointed by the episodes lately. Chimera was great and I had liked Homecoming and Tempus, but most of the other episodes were either just okay or poorly written (my opinion). Plus, As someone said, the fact that a few regular characters have been less present (Kate and Druit) seems to prove that financial problems will be even bigger next time. And I don't want a season 5 with only Magnus and Will for instance (that would remind me of ALIAS or Ally Mc Beal, in which most of the lead actors left or were fired after 2 or three seasons...)

- I also agree with Ann on the fact that it would be much better to develop the Five story arc. I miss them. But I also miss stories with Hollow Earth... That said, that's what we fans want, but I'm not sure it's what "normal" viewers want. For the show to get more viewers, I think we need more standalone episodes so that new viewers can understand everything BUT when I say new standalones I also mean GOOD standalones!!!!! Not what they gave us in the second part of season 3!!

- I look forward to seeing how the ratings will be next Friday.

- Oh and last thing that tells me that maybe it won't get a 5th season: I did not agree last year with those who said it was a good thing to have Sanctuary back on Friday. Of course it is good for the ratings, but as I see things it's a bad sign because Syfy believed the show was stronger when they moved it to Mondays and then by putting it back on Friday it's as though they admitted they were wrong. But that's just my opinion, maybe I'll be heard much more than last year on this thread
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
          60 episode mark? I thought the syndication mark was 100 episodes? I think that as long as it pulls at least a 1.3 average, it's OK. I keep thinking back to it's 1.4 and a 0.5 demo.

Oy, Syfy and it's non-Syfy shows.

It seems that 5 seasons is the max number of their shows. I mean, SG-1, SGA and Eureka, and I'd be proud if it went 5 seasons, which a very good for any sci-fi show.
          I can check, but I'm pretty sure a show needs 80 or 85 episodes for syndication.
          Last edited by Abnormal; 08 December 2011, 09:03 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abnormal View Post
            I can check, but I'm pretty sure a show needs 80 or 85 episodes for syndication.
            They can sell it as if it makes it to 65 as a 13 week block that is becoming popular. They show it Monday through Friday for the 13 weeks.

The next one is 88 I think. (I have no idea who came up with 88. ??)

Then 100

Comment

They can sell it as if it makes it to 65 as a 13 week block that is becoming popular. They show it Monday through Friday for the 13 weeks.
              Oh but that can change things then, Sky has a good point. If you take the example of Community on NBC. The ratings are extremely low but it might be saved thanks to syndication. That's what saved Medium as well.

==> Gives me hope.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abnormal View Post
                Oh but that can change things then, Sky has a good point. If you take the example of Community on NBC. The ratings are extremely low but it might be saved thanks to syndication. That's what saved Medium as well.

==> Gives me hope.
                Good selling point to Beedie. Depending on the backdoor deals they have, it would be silly to let it go just 8 episodes away from (65).

Comment

The next one is 88 I think. (I have no idea who came up with 88. ??)

Then 100

True it was 30 years ago, but one reason star trek lasted so long is that they got 3 seasons, thus 66-69 episodes, which allowed them to run in 'strip syndication' (selling to local stations to air 5 nights a week). Right now Sanctuary has 59. Getting a season 5 will put them at 72.

It is totally my opinion, but I honestly think SG1 got s10 just so skiffy could brag about 'longest running us scifi show' I think SGA got season 5 just so they could hit 100 episodes....it's very possible that sanctuary could get a s5, just so that the investors can have access to long running strip syndie money (invest now to get returns later)

total guesses of course, but I do think sometimes hitting goals or milestones can effect renewal just as much as ratings.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm not really into the whole ratings thing (although I've followed the thread) because I simply have never paid any attention to other shows' ratings, nor do I have any influence on Sanctuary's ratings.

However, based on what I've seen so far I think a season 5 could be possible as long as the ratings don't drop any lower and they keep the 0.4 demo. Still, that might be difficult with the holidays coming along. I used to always make sure to watch my favorite shows despite the holidays, but these days it's so easy to catch up on shows by taping/DVRing them, watching re-runs, buying it on iTunes or whatever or just watch it online. I mean, I don't even have a TV these days but I still watch all my shows.

I have to say I'm more a fan of the story arcs than standalone monster (or date!) of the week and really enjoyed the Cabal story line in the first season, then HE in season 3 and now going Rogue in season 4.

Personally I think the HE arc was well done in that it wasn't the end of the world if you missed an episode because despite it being an arc most of the events per episode could still be standalones. They just kinda messed up season 3 by doing a major story arc and filler, standalone episodes. Like they couldn't make up their minds, didn't have enough inspiration or wanted to give the viewers a bit of both.

I agree with some of you here that the episodes centering The Five are really their strong point and not just because of the great stories, but also because the actors are simply good and they have chemistry. I don't know if it's just their experience or something else, but they play their roles perfectly. I don't feel that with RD, AD and RyRo (although lately he's been getting a lot better now that he gets to play more with JY and AT). For some reason they seem to need the standalone/filler/date/monster of the week episode to flesh out their characters, unlike the others who just... are.

There really haven't been a lot Tesla-, Druitt- or even Watson-centric episodes but you still get the character and you don't need some awful date episode or turning into an abnormal (yes, you Will) episode to flesh them out or give them more background. The actors (AT, JY, CH, PW) simply portray a convincing character that doesn't have to rely on cheesy, monster hunting episodes and yet you want to know them even better, learn more about them. Then you have Will, the one whose life has almost been documented into detail with all his Will-centric episodes and I wasn't interested at all! Probably starting with that episode where he was wearing a hulk suit and one of his old friends was supposedly missing.

I just don't like the Will-character and I never warmed up to Kate, but right now I'll gladly take Kate over Will so he can go down to HE and never be heard from again! I was never very fond of Henry, but he had his good moments, but now that he's getting more screen time I am really enjoying the character. I think I've mentioned this before in some of the episode threats, but since season 4 I really have the idea that Will (and Kate too) brings out the worst in Henry and whenever they're paired up they degenerate to juveniles. RyRo does a lot better when he's paired up with AT or JY, in my opinion.

Oh and I like Declan too, wish we could see more of him, simply because it's a good, solid character and while he might not be very fleshed out it's still enjoyable to have him around and I think the actor does a great job portraying him.

Maybe killing off Will (or reassigning him to HE or the Mumbai Sanctuary or something) in the season finale will help get the ratings up. I know there are a lot of people out there that (for some reason beyond my comprehension) really like Will and think RD's hot or something, but lately the only character I've heard moaning about on the episode threads is Will and maybe Charlotte, because it was so 'controversial'. Oh and let's not forget Abby and Gavin, another two characters that, in my opinion, don't the show any good at all. But that could be down to writing because I actually liked The Thing/EvilAbby and to me it showed that PH can act (and definitely sing) and be something other than a ditsy cheerleading bimbo, but I'm not getting that vibe from RD...
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Too bad I can't green you, fems. Your post coulda been from me, down to the word.
                      *virtual green*
                      "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                      "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Will was introduced in the webisodes as a hard working young psychologist that had the respect of the hospital staff. One scene a nurse is telling Helen how much guts Will had in dealing with the dangerous and criminally insane patient. Everyone assumes the patient is guilty, but Will has his doubts. Will had the ability to look beyond the surface, which caught the eye of Helen and in turn brought him into the sanctuary world where normal takes on a whole new meaning.

In the webisodes he ended up helping the kid control the monster inside him, and helped the sister witches stop their killing habits. Unfortunately they moved away from that after the first few episodes on TV.

The show first started with Helen and Ashley as the only field team that investigated, hunted and retrieve the abnormals. Henry was the tech/ weapons expert who stayed in the van or monitored from his lab. Biggie was the loyal assistant that dealt with things on the home front. Will was the one that helped the abnormal come to terms with who they were (more on a personal level) ... Helen studied the abnormality as a scientist (ex: how did their abnormality work)

Now it seems everyone is part of the field team. Will is now 2IC and can use a gun with the best of them. The psychology of the abnormal is no longer important. In fact it's no longer about protecting the abnormals. It's a show about protecting the sanctuary. Sanctuary is now a global organization. Helen, at times, is in charge of the entire organization.

Once it stopped being about helping the abnormals and became a show about capturing abnormals and stopping global threats then a psychologist was no longer needed. They needed a field agent so they turned Will into one. Unfortunately they didn't show any development from psychology to 2IC. It was more or less OK that's the way it is ... accept it.

I don't think the writers thought far enough ahead and the fact that they change writers every season doesn't help... because it's a different show each season. Instead of saying OK this character started here ... we need him/her here by the end of the season to set up what they have planned for next season. Often times DK has said he has no idea how he's going to answer the huge cliff hangers at the end of the season. Which always worries me, because to me that says it's not about the show as a whole it's about how huge and shocking can we make these last two episode and we'll deal with the consequences of what it does to the show later.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                          Will was introduced in the webisodes as a hard working young psychologist that had the respect of the hospital staff. One scene a nurse is telling Helen how much guts Will had in dealing with the dangerous and criminally insane patient. Everyone assumes the patient is guilty, but Will has his doubts. Will had the ability to look beyond the surface, which caught the eye of Helen and in turn brought him into the sanctuary world where normal takes on a whole new meaning.

In the webisodes he ended up helping the kid control the monster inside him, and helped the sister witches stop their killing habits. Unfortunately they moved away from that after the first few episodes on TV.

The show first started with Helen and Ashley as the only field team that investigated, hunted and retrieve the abnormals. Henry was the tech/ weapons expert who stayed in the van or monitored from his lab. Biggie was the loyal assistant that dealt with things on the home front. Will was the one that helped the abnormal come to terms with who they were (more on a personal level) ... Helen studied the abnormality as a scientist (ex: how did their abnormality work)

Now it seems everyone is part of the field team. Will is now 2IC and can use a gun with the best of them. The psychology of the abnormal is no longer important. In fact it's no longer about protecting the abnormals. It's a show about protecting the sanctuary. Sanctuary is now a global organization. Helen, at times, is in charge of the entire organization.

Once it stopped being about helping the abnormals and became a show about capturing abnormals and stopping global threats then a psychologist was no longer needed. They needed a field agent so they turned Will into one. Unfortunately they didn't show any development from psychology to 2IC. It was more or less OK that's the way it is ... accept it.

I don't think the writers thought far enough ahead and the fact that they change writers every season doesn't help... because it's a different show each season. Instead of saying OK this character started here ... we need him/her here by the end of the season to set up what they have planned for next season. Often times DK has said he has no idea how he's going to answer the huge cliff hangers at the end of the season. Which always worries me, because to me that says it's not about the show as a whole it's about how huge and shocking can we make these last two episode and we'll deal with the consequences of what it does to the show later.
                          Ann, this is an amazing analysis of how the show has changed from season 1. Seeing the Sanctuary go for the small entity to global is not a part of the show I enjoy. One reason being that they do not use the CGI to show the massive battles that are supposed to be happening around the world. Instead we got the dots on the screen of people we had no attachment to and a few abnormals behind little fences with lot of tents. That did not translate to Global. And I am tired of the overhead teleconferences to show they are talking around the world.

As for Cliffhangers. They where fun when Dallas did it and we only had to wait for a few weeks of summer. But I think the Cliffhangers on a 13 episode season actually isolates new viewers. And old viewers like me don't always like waiting so long. And we forget what we were waiting for.

Comment

I finally remembered that show that I see as similar to the transition of the sanctuary going from helping the individual abnormal to "global". Did any of you watch Angel? I stopped watching because it was no longer showing individual rescues. It was about running a company.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              I know there are a lot of people out there that (for some reason beyond my comprehension) really like Will and think RD's hot or something, but lately the only character I've heard moaning about on the episode threads is Will and maybe Charlotte, because it was so 'controversial'. Oh and let's not forget Abby and Gavin, another two characters that, in my opinion, don't the show any good at all. But that could be down to writing because I actually liked The Thing/EvilAbby and to me it showed that PH can act (and definitely sing) and be something other than a ditsy cheerleading bimbo, but I'm not getting that vibe from RD...
                              (((robin)))
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Interesting discussion. Since this show is the one I care most about, of course I'm hoping for a season 5. As for whether I believe we'll get a season 5, I flip-flop back and forth. I "think" the ratings aren't horrible, but they aren't great either. We can only speculate on whether the show would get another season for the main reason of syndication. IMO SyFy would also have to believe they'd make a profit on season 5 itself, but I am in no way an expert of these things, which is why I like to read everyone's posts because some of you are more knowledgeable than me in this.

I've liked The Five since we first met them, and wish they could do more episodes that revolve around them. There are a lot of potential stories there that would be much more interesting than Will and Abby's dates gone wrong. But perhaps we don't see more of The Five because the actors involved aren't as available or it costs more to have them. Or maybe TPTB just don't want to do that many episodes set in the past.

ann_sgcfan made a good point about the writers. Some are simply better at it, and at times I think the show suffers from changing writers so much. There's been more inconsistency with the quality of writing, especially seasons 3 & 4, IMO. So we get some really great eps, but also some duds. I liked the hollow earth arc last season, and I like the idea of an ongoing story because that's more how life is, but the eps dealing with hollow earth don't seem as exciting this year. Stand-alones are fine if they're well written.

I guess I'd have to say I'm preparing for it to get cancelled, but I haven't given up hope yet and I think it still has a chance if the ratings stay decent the rest of the season. Like others have said, if we get a S5 I wouldn't be surprised if it was the last season, or they do something like they did with Eureka. I know it will end sometime, I just hope when it does we get a real ending (though not with killing everyone off, or even killing people's favorites off). I just don't want to be left with a cliffhanger and then have it get cancelled.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X