• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
    Wasn't the title spoilerish enough?
    You'd think so wouldn't you..

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      Of coarse they said it was Syfy. Who else are they talking about when they reference the network? Syfy.

What does viewer disdain of Kate Freelander have to do with whether Ashkey Ullerip returns as a guest star?
      Well the audience hates the character they brought in to substitute the character they killed and now they have an ep with the dead character. Wonder how the internet and some critics will respond to that.
      Brings more comparing and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        The context of that answer is 'what question do you wish fans would never ask you' in reference to being at comicon. And her answer was 'asking us about why someone is here or gone, it's personal and even if we know all the details, it's inappropriate and often against the law for us to reveal them' (the meaning of her answer, not an exact quote)
        The exact quote (just to help with the context, great post ):
        THR: What questions would you recommend fans not ask at panels?

Tapping: Questions about specific actors or actresses that may be a bit untoward, like “Why is that person not here anymore?” or “How come this person is only doing this many episodes?” You can’t really answer the question honestly.

Originally posted by kes View Post
        Well the audience hates the character they brought in to substitute the character they killed and now they have an ep with the dead character. Wonder how the internet and some critics will respond to that.
        Brings more comparing and all that.
        More accurately IMO, *some* of the audience hates the character. Other Sanctuary viewers actually quite like Kate and I'm sure there are others who are essentially neutral towards her.

sigpic

Comment

Questions are answered all the time time about why a character joined or left.

Roswell: Colin Hanks (Alex) left to pursue a movie career. Emilie de Ravin (Tess) was written out in a crazy season finale that radically altered the show. Adam Rodríguez (Jesse) was brought in to fill the void of Alex.

Star Trek: Walter Koenig (Chekov) was brought in to appeal to teenagers.

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Denise Crosby (Yar) left due to the showing being too science-fiction and her character having too little to do. Gates McFadden (Beverly Crusher) was written out, because she was turning into Picard's tolken girlfriend. Diana Muldaur (Pulaski) was brought in as a female McCoy-type, but the character was horribly received. Rather risk having a new doctor every season, McFadden was asked to come back. Finally, Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher) wanted to skip out on a few episodes for a film role. The producers told him no, he was needed for the episodes. When they were filmed, he was barely there. Feeling like the producers thought they owned him, he left, but agreed to return for guest appearances. I think Wheaton's departure was the only one that was on bad terms. Crosby wanted out, McFadden was simply written out, and Muldaur just didn't work.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Michael Dorn (Worf) was added to add to the show's overall story and to spike up the ratings. Terry Farrell's contract was up after six years. The show was returning for a final season. There's numerous stories as to why she left, but the official story is that she felt it was time to move on. She immediately landed a starring role on Becker. Basically, DS9 was only going to continue one more year, she got a job opportunity and jumped on it. Simple as that. I think money was also an issue as she was suppose to make a brief appearance in the series finale as well as stock footage appearing as part of a montage. Neither happened, because she asked for too much money. It's not greed, it's business. That said, it's the final episode... come on...

Star Trek: Voyager: The writers wanted to add a Borg character, Jeri Ryan as "Seven of Nine." They couldn't afford ten regulars, so someone had to go. It was narrowed down to Garrett Wang (Kim) and Jennifer Lein (Kes), two characters the writers struggled with. They were going to kill off Kim, but when the actor proved popular in a magazine, Lein was written out as having evolved beyond a physical body. Lein's departure couldn't have been that bad, she returned three years later for a special guest appearance.

Stargate SG-1: Richard Dean-Anderson left after the eighth season to be with his family. He guest starred twice at the beginning of the ninth season, but after that, retired from acting. A guest appearance on The Simpsons lead to him returning to acting in the form of guest appearances. He maintained a presence on SG-1, Atlantis, and in Universe as a recurring guest star. To fill O'Neill's void, Ben Browder (Mitchell) was brought in as the new lead and team leader. Samantha Carter was leading SG-1 in the eighth season, so Amanda Tapping was naturally bothered by this as was I. Add Ben Browder, but make Carter the star. If Tapping can be the star of Sanctuary, why not the final seasons of SG-1? Anyway, the writers fixed this by making Mitchell and Carter equals on the show with the same rank. Mitchell's got leadership, because the team had disbanded. That's the only reason why Carter lost official leadership. Michael Shanks left to pursue an acting career, so he was replaced with Corin Nemec. After a year's absense, Richard Dean-Anderson began asking for a reduced role. This meant that Carter, Teal'c, and Jonas would inherit a larger focus. To balance this out, Shanks was asked to return, and Nemec was written out. Next up, Don S. Davis left due to health problems and to allow RDA's character (O'Neill) to be promoted to General to allow the actor greater time with his family. After RDA left, Beau Bridges was brought in as the new base commander. Finally, we come to Claudia Black as "Vala." Originally envisioned as a one-time guest star, she was brought back in Season 9 to fill in for Tapping who was gone on maternity leave. Due to popularity, she was brought back in the final season as a main character. Honestly, with RDA gone, the ninth season was really lacking in the humor department. Claudia Black was a breath of fresh air, she filled that humerus void that RDA left.

Stargate: Atlantis: First off, Aiden's character (Ford) was bland and the writers struggled with him. He was written out in favor of bringing in Jason Momoa as Ronan. I liked Ford, but Ronan was far more interesting. The problem with Ford is that the writers never really developed him. He was just Sheppard's right-hand man. Great actor, poorly developed character. To shake up the fourth season, a lot of changes were made by the end of the third season. Beckett was killed, Keller was introduced, Weir was critically injured, and Atlantis was lost in space. For the fourth season, Weir was written out and replaced with Carter as the new expedition leader. Towards the end of the season, Beckett was brought back in a recurring role. Killing him off backfired. In the fifth season, Tapping left to do Sanctuary, so the recurring Robert Picardo joined the cast full time as Woolsey.

Given all that I typed up, I found it stupid that fans shouldn't why Emilie Ullerup was written out.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

More accurately IMO, *some* of the audience hates the character. Other Sanctuary viewers actually quite like Kate and I'm sure there are others who are essentially neutral towards her.
            True. Some.

@Snowman37 - They did answer. It was a network decision. What more can they say?
            What pissed me off (and what made me dislike what happen) was that at the start the MAD team was all: It was our idea cos we're brave that way. - But then things started getting pretty heated at Twitter, Facebook and the oficial forum. Even AT was attacked and they changed to it was the network and we though hard against it, but our little independent show, lost.

Somebody else calls the shots, you know?!

Comment

My point is, everyone was open about every cast change on SG-1. Everyone was open about every cast change on Atlantis. Why all of a sudden is everyone tight lipped come Sanctuary? Better to be forward to the audience than dance around the issue, no? If the network felt that the Ashley character wasn't working and asked her to be written out, then why not just be out with it? There's been plenty of times where Rick Berman and the producers of Star Trek: Voyager badmouthed their network, UPN. They were just diplomatic about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                My point is, everyone was open about every cast change on SG-1. Everyone was open about every cast change on Atlantis. Why all of a sudden is everyone tight lipped come Sanctuary? Better to be forward to the audience than dance around the issue, no? If the network felt that the Ashley character wasn't working and asked her to be written out, then why not just be out with it? There's been plenty of times where Rick Berman and the producers of Star Trek: Voyager badmouthed their network, UPN. They were just diplomatic about it.
                It's a different franchise.
                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

At Dragon Con 2011, this question was asked. And so far, the answer given implies that they'd tried to get Emilie Ullerup back on the show, only there were schedule conflicts that prevented her from doing so. But AT did say that they'd actively tried to seek her out for a return. I think we're all hoping for a Season 5 that would allow them to do so. But at this point, I'm not so sure I want her to come back. The loss of Ashley has affected Magnus so deeply, it seems almost cheap to bring her back now...

Comment

Working...
                  X