No announcement yet.

Helen Magnus/Amanda Tapping Thunk, Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
        The only big convention I've ever attended was a Stargate Creation Con back in 2007. I had a great time, and my only regret is that I've never had the pleasure of seeing Amanda in person. I'm not sure if I can pass up the chance to go to the Chicago Creation Con this August, even though I've already spent so much money earlier this year. (I went to Hawaii and bought a new computer - which was necessary, as the old laptop died.) Still, seeing Amanda IS on my bucket list. I think I just need a few solid nudges to get me to bite the bullet and buy my tickets! So, anyone want to tell me how I should not pass up this opportunity?
        Do not pass up the opportunity, I've no met her before but will in July here at a London signing event. She seems to have a lovely personality & I think she would be fantastic to meet in person.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bonniesrg View Post
            Do not pass up the opportunity, I've no met her before but will in July here at a London signing event. She seems to have a lovely personality & I think she would be fantastic to meet in person.
            DID IT! Bought my tickets for the Chicago Creation Con. I'm SOOOO excited!

I can't seem to get any sort of consensus about giving Amanda a gift or a card. Is that a no-no? OK to do in the autograph line or photo op line (as long as it is quick and is not accompanied by some long story)? I wouldn't dream of giving her something huge and problematic to pack/bring home. That seems like a no-brainer. Maybe I'm better off sending something (a card or gift) to Amanda instead of trying to give it to her at the con.

DID I MENTION HOW EXCITED I AM!?!?!
            sigpic
            Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

I can't seem to get any sort of consensus about giving Amanda a gift or a card. Is that a no-no? OK to do in the autograph line or photo op line (as long as it is quick and is not accompanied by some long story)? I wouldn't dream of giving her something huge and problematic to pack/bring home. That seems like a no-brainer. Maybe I'm better off sending something (a card or gift) to Amanda instead of trying to give it to her at the con.

YAY!
              In the U.K. The rules are to give gifts, cards etc at the autograph table (sometimes you do get a chance for a little chat as well). Gifts & a chat at the photoshoot area is a no no as they normally need to get through all the people quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonniesrg View Post
                YAY!
                In the U.K. The rules are to give gifts, cards etc at the autograph table (sometimes you do get a chance for a little chat as well). Gifts & a chat at the photoshoot area is a no no as they normally need to get through all the people quick.
                Thank you. I'm thinking I may just write a small card/note for Amanda since I don't trust myself not to be completely tongue-tied when I finally see her in person - unable to remember my name, let alone put together a coherent sentence.

Is it too early to start counting down? 161 days until I see Amanda!!!
                sigpic

Comment

having been at several creation cons in the past i can say that they do try to push people thru as quickly as possible. at one, i was trying to tell amanda something about one the boxes i was making for the AT event and the photographer interrupted and tried to rush me, but amanda didn't appreciate him doing that and pretty much told him to chill. it's been said that she doesn't like they way they treat fans. just so you aren't surprised at the way they rush everything.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                    having been at several creation cons in the past i can say that they do try to push people thru as quickly as possible. at one, i was trying to tell amanda something about one the boxes i was making for the AT event and the photographer interrupted and tried to rush me, but amanda didn't appreciate him doing that and pretty much told him to chill. it's been said that she doesn't like they way they treat fans. just so you aren't surprised at the way they rush everything.
                    So did this happen at a photo op or the autograph table?

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                      So did this happen at a photo op or the autograph table?
                      Sounds like the photo op, considering the photographer was trying to rush her...
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

that was at a photo op. they don't seem to try to limit how many tickets they sell and cram people thru to get them all done. it was that way at all of their cons that i went to. autographs are rushed too.

Comment

The only big convention I've ever attended was a Stargate Creation Con back in 2007. I had a great time, and my only regret is that I've never had the pleasure of seeing Amanda in person. I'm not sure if I can pass up the chance to go to the Chicago Creation Con this August, even though I've already spent so much money earlier this year. (I went to Hawaii and bought a new computer - which was necessary, as the old laptop died.) Still, seeing Amanda IS on my bucket list. I think I just need a few solid nudges to get me to bite the bullet and buy my tickets! So, anyone want to tell me how I should not pass up this opportunity?

Thank you. I'm thinking I may just write a small card/note for Amanda since I don't trust myself not to be completely tongue-tied when I finally see her in person - unable to remember my name, let alone put together a coherent sentence.

Is it too early to start counting down? 161 days until I see Amanda!!!
                          Sorry I am late to the table to encourage you to go but glad you decided to do so. I am not a huge fan of Creation but have been to a couple of their cons regardless---because of the guests. I am considering Chicago because I have yet to see CJ.

Of all the guests I have seen, AT is the best. She takes every question seriously and gives thoughtful and honest answers. She appreciates her fans and, even if you only have a moment or two with her, she completely focuses on you for that time. I'm sure you will find it worthwhile.

As for the gift/card thing, here is my two cents. By all means, write her a note. Everyone appreciates a note of thanks. It does also allow you to say what you may not have time for when you meet or what you may be too nervous to say. As for a gift, while it is a nice thought (and I do not mean to be negative to anyone who has given a gift before) she really does not need anything and there is the issue of taking everything home if everyone gives her a gift. At the Gabit events in London, where she has direct input, the policy is no gifts. I think that reflects her preference. Here is an alternative for you--make a donation to Sanctuary For Kids and tell her that instead of a gift to her, you gave one to those in need. Trust me, she will appreciate that more than any gift you could give her.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Comment

sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                Sorry I am late to the table to encourage you to go but glad you decided to do so. I am not a huge fan of Creation but have been to a couple of their cons regardless---because of the guests. I am considering Chicago because I have yet to see CJ.

Of all the guests I have seen, AT is the best. She takes every question seriously and gives thoughtful and honest answers. She appreciates her fans and, even if you only have a moment or two with her, she completely focuses on you for that time. I'm sure you will find it worthwhile.

As for the gift/card thing, here is my two cents. By all means, write her a note. Everyone appreciates a note of thanks. It does also allow you to say what you may not have time for when you meet or what you may be too nervous to say. As for a gift, while it is a nice thought (and I do not mean to be negative to anyone who has given a gift before) she really does not need anything and there is the issue of taking everything home if everyone gives her a gift. At the Gabit events in London, where she has direct input, the policy is no gifts. I think that reflects her preference. Here is an alternative for you--make a donation to Sanctuary For Kids and tell her that instead of a gift to her, you gave one to those in need. Trust me, she will appreciate that more than any gift you could give her.
                                What I want to tell Amanda - and I worry I won't have time or will be too tongue-tied - is that I asked friends and colleagues not to get me gifts or cards or drinks for my 40th birthday (last month), but to make a donation to charity instead. And I gave them info about Sanctuary For Kids. Some people made donations to other charities, but I know some donated to Sanctuary For Kids...and most of them had no idea what the charity was all about before I mentioned it to them.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X