Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2.00 is less than a cup of coffee (the fancy kind), less than a gallon of gas, less than a cheap lunch at a drive-thru, etc, etc. In some cases, the episode can last far longer than that cup of coffee, that gallon of gas or that lunch.

Besides, for me, it's all a matter of quality. I understand if some people can't see the quality past the $2.00, but I have no problem spending that much for something that's 17 minutes long if the entertainment is up to par. And, as SG-Lurker said, I also plan to watch the whole hour together when it's all said and done. When I purchase the episodes for a couple of friends, I'll do it once the final chapter of the first hour has aired, so they can watch it in one hour as well.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
      $2.00 is less than a cup of coffee (the fancy kind),
      *blinks* wow. A very fancy kind, I hope!
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
        *blinks* wow. A very fancy kind, I hope!
        I was thinking along the lines of the Starbucks persuasion. Not a fan myself, but evidently quite a few million people are - and are willing to buy one or two cups a day.

Comment

If paying $2.00 for 17 minutes increases the chances that I'll get to see more Sanctuary in the future then $2.00 is not too much money to spend.
          sigpic
          Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Master843 View Post
            Not sure the usual cost since I subscribe to Netflix for most of my movie viewing, I prefer subscription services to pay per view since you usually get a much better deal. While the first episode seems promising, I would much rather have a longer episode length. 17 minutes is just barely enough time to get me into the story and by the time we reach that it is already over. I would rather atleast another 6-7 minutes per episode. Also as has been said before, for such a short episode, the Intro is WAY too long.
            You're kind of comparing apples and oranges here.

With Netflix, you're getting movies and shows that have aired elsewhere. They've been in the theaters and made who-knows-what at the box office.

As for TV shows...well they've aired on TV. There's ad revenue and all sorts of other things that make it so that studios can release the content in various formats for various prices, be it DVD or on ITunes or whatever.

Sanctuary does not have any of the above.

There is one and only one way to get Sanctuary...and that's through them. And what do you get? Exclusive footage that is yours to use as you please.

Apples and oranges.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
              I was thinking along the lines of the Starbucks persuasion. Not a fan myself, but evidently quite a few million people are - and are willing to buy one or two cups a day.
              I'll be honest, I don't drink cofee at all. So I dunno....
              Mmm... 4 USD a day on coffee.... and they say it isn't an addiction! Hell, I wouldn't spend 4 $ a day on chocolate, and I know that's an addiction!
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                If paying $2.00 for 17 minutes increases the chances that I'll get to see more Sanctuary in the future then $2.00 is not too much money to spend.
                And that's the thing right there.

I too am willing to spend it as are countless others because I want this show to continue on for many years to come.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  I'll be honest, I don't drink cofee at all. So I dunno....
                  Mmm... 4 USD a day on coffee.... and they say it isn't an addiction! Hell, I wouldn't spend 4 $ a day on chocolate, and I know that's an addiction!
                  Heh heh, nice. Coffee, chocolate, cigs, alcohol, fast food, soda...

Fight addiction. Watch Sanctuary.

Instant ad.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                    And that's the thing right there.

I too am willing to spend it as are countless others because I want this show to continue on for many years to come.
                    In any case, if I am going to buy it I will want the HD version. Currently from what I can see they only have the bundle offer for the SD version. Are they going to be putting up the HD version in a bundle to save a bit of money before the next episode is released?

Update: Seems they finally added an HD bundle option in addition to the SD one.
                    Last edited by Master843; 26 May 2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4598818&EDATE=

Stage 3 Media Hits World Record with Sanctuary

Critically Acclaimed Web-based Science Fiction Series Awarded Guinness
                      World Record

VANCOUVER, British Columbia, May 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Stage 3 Media Inc.,
                      an independent production company specializing in new media entertainment,
                      today proudly announced Guinness World Records' recognition of their
                      Web-based science fiction series Sanctuary as "Highest Budget for a
                      Direct-to-Web Broadcast." Full production and visual effects design costs
                      for eight Sanctuary webisodes averaging 15-minutes in length were completed
                      by Stage 3 Media for $4.5 million CDN.
                      "The Sanctuary team is honored to be recognized by such a global
                      authority in human achievement," said Damian Kindler, creator and executive
                      producer of Sanctuary. "The watchword for everything we do in making the
                      show is innovation and both Stage 3 Media and our close partners The Beedie
                      Group are dedicated to developing original ways to deliver new media on a
                      global scale."
                      The use of state-of-the-art production techniques to develop cutting
                      edge Web design and stunning visual graphics prompted Guinness World
                      Records to recognize Stage 3 Media for the honor. Stage 3 Media's
                      accomplishment will be recorded in the 2008 edition of the Guinness World
                      Records publication available in August 2007.
                      "As a big sci-fi fan, I'm excited by the creation of Sanctuary by Stage
                      3 Media," said Guinness World Records' Editor-in-Chief Craig Glenday, who
                      unusually ratified the record after the normal book deadline. "And, as a
                      records researcher, I'm even more intrigued to hear of additional
                      groundbreaking production technologies behind the show. The highest-budget
                      record is sure to be just the first of many superlative achievements for
                      Sanctuary as our researchers are currently exploring additional unique
                      achievements in high-definition Web broadcasting. Watch Sanctuary ... and
                      watch this space for more show records!"
                      About Sanctuary
                      Each webisode of Sanctuary follows the exploits of Dr. Helen Magnus
                      (Amanda Tapping, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis) as she seeks out all
                      manner of terrifying and monstrous creatures. She is aided in her quest by
                      her reluctant protege Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne, Dawson's Creek, The Big
                      Hit, Species 3) and her intrepid, if somewhat reckless, daughter Ashley
                      (Emilie Ullerup, Battlestar Galactica). Together they are drawn into a
                      frightening and mysterious world populated by beings that defy explanation.
                      Sanctuary was created by veteran science fiction writer and producer Damian
                      Kindler and directed by Martin Wood (Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis).
                      Kindler, Tapping and Wood serve as executive producers along with N. John
                      Smith (Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis).
                      For more information or to view webisodes 1 and 2 of Sanctuary, please
                      visit http://www.sanctuaryforall.com.
                      About Stage 3 Media Inc.
                      Stage 3 Media(TM) is a new media company based in Vancouver, British
                      Columbia. Founded in 2006, the Stage 3 Media management team boasts more
                      than 70 years collective experience in television and film production,
                      video game design and information technology. For more information on Stage
                      3 Media please visit http://www.stage3media.com.
                      About Guinness World Records
                      Guinness World Records is the universally recognized authority on
                      record-breaking achievement. First published in 1955, the annual Guinness
                      World Records book is published in more than 100 countries and 20 languages
                      and is one of the highest-selling books under copyright of all time with
                      more than 3 million copies sold annually across the globe. Guinness World
                      Records celebrated its 50th anniversary edition in 2004, a year after the
                      sale of its 100 millionth copy. The Guinness World Records website
                      (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com) receives more than 11 million
                      visitors a year. Guinness World Records is published by HIT Entertainment
                      Limited, a fully integrated global studio with divisions in the U.K., U.S.,
                      Canada and Japan, including broadcast production and distribution, video
                      and audio sales, consumer products licensing and marketing.
                      (C) Copyright 2007 Stage 3 Media Inc. Sanctuary and Stage 3 Media are
                      trademarks of Stage 3 Media Inc. All other products or brand names
                      mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective
                      holders.

Comment

June 5, 2007

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1803...-on-Sanctuary/

1. How the idea of creating a web show came to be? Damian Kindler: The idea for Sanctuary as a series was born about six years ago, while I was living in LA working as a freelance TV writer. My agent at the time asked me to write a script that would (it was hoped) showcase my "voice" as a writer. Basically write a pilot for a TV series I would create, given the chance. So I wrote the first hour of Sanctuary back in 2001 and then it basically sat in my Hard Drive after I went to work on the Stargate TV franchise in 2002 until recently. Last year I started a new venture with friends from the gaming, software and internet communities here in Vancouver. We wanted to prove that the internet could turn people with the ability to develop and create high end content into their own studio and network, as it were. And the more we looked into it, the more we realized that sci fi fans were amongst the most passionate and sophisticated early adopters on the web. we were also looking for ways to rethink the way we made TV series-like content -- using innovative green screen techniques and real time 3D computer model tracking. All this came together in Jan 2007 when the Stargate crew and the newly hired VFX team here at Stage 3 Media combined to shoot the two hour pilot of Sanctuary. We had an absolute blast and can't wait to go back into production in the Fall.

*READ REST OF ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE*

Comment

July 4 2007

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ent/columnists

excerpt:

Slick new West Coast sci-fi only online
                          by John Doyle

I had met an interesting man the day before, one who is building a reputation for creating a startling innovation in a form of Internet television.

He's Damian Kindler, and Kindler is a guy who might, just might, be on the cusp of something remarkable. He's the brains behind Sanctuary, a show that looks like a slick TV series but is created solely for the Internet. You watch episodes on your computer. It's a serial and you pay to watch it. This is an idea that many have tried and few have found successful. But Kindler, a bundle of enthusiasm, could be looking at the first success in the field.

Sanctuary - you can check it out at http://www.sanctuaryforall.com - is not cheap or cheesy online entertainment. It looks as good as any sci-fi series on network TV or cable.

FULL ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

SG1 - SciFi Blog: A Look at Amanda Tapping’s Sanctuary:

From SciFi Blog:

http://www.thescifiblog.com/a-look-a...ngs-sanctuary/

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

A Look at Amanda Tapping’s Sanctuary

Thursday, July 5th, 2007 at 3:44 am by TheSciFiBlog.com

If you don’t know the name Amanda Tapping, then you’re probably reading the wrong site. That having been said, Amanda Tapping has a new sci-fi/horror series coming out called “Sanctuary”, which I didn’t know about until someone asked her about it in an interview being hosted over at The Sci Fi World.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/

(BTW: It does look like Amanda WILL be replacing the Weir character on “Stargate: Atlantis” after all, news I didn’t know until now.) But anyways, back to “Sanctuary”…

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post

(BTW: It does look like Amanda WILL be replacing the Weir character on “Stargate: Atlantis” after all, news I didn’t know until now...
                              It's been the rage of discussion on the season four board for months now....

Comment

With emphasis on the "rage" part.

Comment

Working...
                                X