Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 3 got a 9.3 at IGN, but I thought I'd leave the quotey thing to someone better at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
      Episode 3 got a 9.3 at IGN, but I thought I'd leave the quotey thing to someone better at it.
      Thanks for the heads up, Jonzey!

Here are the "quotey things":

At IGN - Review of 'Sanctuary for All:

(Please follow the link for the complete review. The review author rated the series' premiere with a 8.7 out of 10.)

Sanctuary: "Sanctuary for All" Review

The birth of something truly unique.

by Tory Ireland Mell

**snippage**

My only problem with the show and I hope it is only this episode, is the pacing of it. It starts off really slow, and instead of building it up to a sprint, it just sort of starts then power-walks though the entire episode. There are brief moments of shock and awe, but the overall cadence of the two-hour premiere is slow. It's completely understandable since it is the beginning and they need to try and give us as much information as possible, but some things just need to happen at a more rapid pace. For example, Will doesn't need to take ten minutes to describe the crime scene; we can gather with just a few lines who he is and what he may be capable of.

Overall though, it's a good start with an interesting story, and interesting enough to bring me back for a few more episodes.

~~**~~**

At IGN, review of Fata Morgana:

(Please follow the link for the complete review. The review author rated this episode with a 9.3 out of 10.)

Sanctuary: "Fata Morgana" Review

Magnus vs. The Witches.

by Tory Ireland Mell

October 13, 2008 - After the huge numbers Sanctuary put up during its premiere episode last week, the big question on everyone's mind was will it last, through the second week? If I were a betting man which I am, I would say there would be some drop off, but the numbers will still be pretty big for "Fata Morgana" and everyone who was here this week will for sure be there next week and the weeks to come.

**snippage**

The second episode in, and just as strong as the first if not stronger, the pacing of "Fata Morgana" was fast and strong. This was a great episode, and completely fun to watch.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

The Hachiko: Review - 'Fata Morgana':

At The Hachiko:

(The review author rated this episode with a 2 out of 5. Please follow the link for the complete review.)

'Sanctuary' (1.2) "Fata Morgana" - Review

Tue, 10/14/2008 - 11:28 — Vrej Hezaran

In my review for the premiere of Sanctuary, I wrote that I felt the episode was somewhat boring and that I'm sure when they up the action quotient, it will become a better show for it. It's not that I'm only interested in action programs, but inherent to this series is weaponry and fighting, so it seemed odd that there was way too much yakidy yak and not enough blam blam. Fast forward a week to the first regular episode of Sanctuary and it starts off right away with the team blowing away people with faces like those cow skulls you see littering the desert in cowboy movies. Even with plenty of action and reckless gunfights, imagine my surprise when I found "Fata Morgana" to be an utter bore.

**snippage**

As I think about how easy it was for a commando unit to gain complete control of the Sanctuary (once the shields were down), I began to wonder why there are only a handful of people in this place. There's Helen and her daughter, Will, the tech guy, the caveman guy...and that two-faced guy who wants only to eat people. How can this giant facility, with incredible technology and fantastic creatures, run on such a small team? Are there more people that we just never see or is this it?

Let's hope that when they do bother to explain that, I won't be asleep with boredom.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
          This may seem like a dumb question, but 9.3's good right .

Originally posted by morjana View Post
          Here are the "quotey things":

At IGN - Review of 'Sanctuary for All:

(Please follow the link for the complete review. The review author rated the series' premiere with a 8.7 out of 10.)

Sanctuary: "Sanctuary for All" Review

The birth of something truly unique.

by Tory Ireland Mell

**snippage**

My only problem with the show and I hope it is only this episode, is the pacing of it. It starts off really slow, and instead of building it up to a sprint, it just sort of starts then power-walks though the entire episode. There are brief moments of shock and awe, but the overall cadence of the two-hour premiere is slow. It's completely understandable since it is the beginning and they need to try and give us as much information as possible, but some things just need to happen at a more rapid pace. For example, Will doesn't need to take ten minutes to describe the crime scene; we can gather with just a few lines who he is and what he may be capable of.

Overall though, it's a good start with an interesting story, and interesting enough to bring me back for a few more episodes.

~~**~~**
          Alright, 8.7 out of 10 "The birth of something truly unique", alright, good review .

At IGN, review of Fata Morgana:

(Please follow the link for the complete review. The review author rated this episode with a 9.3 out of 10.)

Sanctuary: "Fata Morgana" Review

Magnus vs. The Witches.

by Tory Ireland Mell

October 13, 2008 - After the huge numbers Sanctuary put up during its premiere episode last week, the big question on everyone's mind was will it last, through the second week? If I were a betting man which I am, I would say there would be some drop off, but the numbers will still be pretty big for "Fata Morgana" and everyone who was here this week will for sure be there next week and the weeks to come.

**snippage**

The second episode in, and just as strong as the first if not stronger, the pacing of "Fata Morgana" was fast and strong. This was a great episode, and completely fun to watch.
          Woo hoo, 9.3 out of 10 , and this person thought it was better the second episode in, yet another good interview .

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
            Yes, and she signed it for us, with a smile! *fangirl sigh*

Just sayin', a more gracious celebrity is hard to find.
            Originally posted by prion View Post
            Oh yes, most definitely, and I owe you a photo, right? See, my brain is already frying from the train ride home.

Meanwhile, I did an extensive accounting of Amanda's appearance, including exclusives photos (over 30) and video snippets, at

http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/249907.html

Enjoy!
            Originally posted by parsifal View Post
            I'm very glad you both met her, and Traveler Enroute1, you're 200% right, Amanda is one of a kind. And awesome, just awesome pics prion, and thanks a lot for the vids, Amanda looks so...real and pure greeting fans like that, talking to them, making eye contact, shaking hands and what not. In one part in your journal you wrote- "Although it’s not a great shot, set-up wise, I just loved her smile in this picture. This is how she each and every fan " I don't doubt that because looking and reading stuff like that makes my heart burst and brings a smile to my face, a lot of celebs do stuff like that for fame, success, money, or because their obligated, she does it because she means it .

Originally posted by trinity23 View Post
            Great Photos Prion! I saw Amanda on Thursday and Friday as well. I felt a little out of place Thursday night at the Paley Center, all the photographers and news people made me feel out of place, but I really enjoyed myself and thought it was a great panel.

Friday was fantastic. When I called the NBC studio they said it would start at 10 so I got there at 9:50am. Didn't start until 10:30am so by the time I saw Amanda my hands were freezing. I shook Amanda's hand and apologized for the cold hands - she grabbed my hand back and rubbed it between her own to warm them up! Bliss! Highlight of my week.
            Wa da go trinity . I can't believe you not only shook her hand, but she actually rub yours against hers I would have fainted, or I would never have washed my hand again . You did really well, me, I'd die meeting Amanda , if I met Amanda, I'd be like:

- - - Then when I'd try to talk, I'd be like

And I'd stay like that for a while, then an hour later I'd be like : I... : I uh... ... I uh.. love you :. But Amanda being the incredibly sweet, kind, caring, loving, and cool person she is, she'd probably be like:

: Oh don't worry, I get it, all the time.

Originally posted by bikerchic1977 View Post
            I'll add a few pics I took to the thread...

The promo poster at the entrance...

a pic of the line behind us for quite a while...

finally, someone else showed up behind us none other than Pierre Bernard bearing roses..

once inside, Amanda was right there...

Sanctuary here, Sanctuary there, Sanctuary EVERYWHERE!

The signatures... One on the promo pic, one on an original copy of the Sanctuary scripts from the webisodes..

Comment

My SANCTUARY journey: Pt. 2, Oct. 3, 2008 -

Amanda Tapping's appearance at the NBC Store, NYC

Well, it was a work day and alas, I had to work. That didn't stop me though; I simply re-structured time and space to have my lunch hour at 9am rather than 1pm (that is, I finagled my way out of the office by taking an early lunch. I learned so much about time warps from Stargate!) So I was duly standing behind the roped off section at 8:50am where three other hardier and earlier rising souls already camped. A nice color poster of Amanda in SANCTUARY black stood prominently at the head of the line outside the entrance.

Friend Eclipse joined me a few minutes later. She'd had a heart-locking moment when she strolled up the 49th Street side of Rockefeller Center and saw a mob scene at the store's side entrance. False alarm; it was for tickets to the Conan O'Brien show, Whew. Our little gathering numbered about 7 until 9:30am or so; by 10am Prion counted around 27, just enough to snake around the corner of the building. More, more, more I chanted to myself. About that time a cheeky cutey store staffer stuck his head out the door and said the session was cancelled. Immediate death stares made him 'fess up; just joking. Really, well try it again and it's just choking. LOL, sort of.

Again, no real horde amassed by the time we were being led in. Peeped Pierre Bernard in line behind us with a bouquet, sweet guy that he is. And he is that, as well as gentlemanly. Well, if there weren't that many coming, we figured we'd get some chat time with Amanda (*gasp*). (A sudden cold wind attacked us while we were on the line. Brr! )

Then the OMG! OMG! moment was upon me. Totally lost my mind waiting in line to see Amanda Tapping, just mere seconds away! What in Netu was I going to say? D'uh, blanked. So I took out my camera and started doing lighting settings. Then - *gasp gasp* she was smiling at me!

Well of course she had a sharp eye for shell-shocked fans and just launched my brain back into gear with a sincere smile and maybe the warmest "Hello! How are you?" and handshake in the history of greetings. Oh, right! I murmured something as I passed over my poster, like "Welcome to NY City and thanks for coming." I think. Whereupon she related she wasn't a total stranger to the city, and got to jog in Central Park, take a subway ride and check out some shops nearby. G'ah, I was blanking again and squeaked words about being a native New Yorker and that she'd made herself at home, and please could I have your picture?

Amanda immediately stood and smiled, and in her so cool voice said "Sure!" Best moment: she stood shoulder to shoulder with me for the pic. Bad moment: appointed camera guy couldn't find the shutter button on my camera. Good moment: I got to stand next to Amanda a few seconds longer! Ok, photo op over, and consummate hostess that she is, she sent me off with a smile and a thank you. Or maybe I said thank you as she smiled and I tottered off with my precious keepsake and a warm fizzy high that hasn't quite gone yet!

That she could welcome each of us so charmingly and make us all feel special, well, that's special. I couldn't begin to acquire the stamina my facial muscles would need to smile so sincerely for so long! But Amanda's never wavered; she had something nice and appropriate to say to each of us and some even got her to laugh out loud. *fangirl sigh*

Needless to say, none of us wanted to leave. We stood about comparing pictures (except yours truly, the only one with a retro film camera). I started taking as many pictures as I could. Eclipse noticed why Amanda no longer stood up like she did to take a picture with me: that shot put her right in the middle of a very prominent HEROES display! Yipes, wrong heroes.

The autograph table was right by the entrance leading onto the Rockefeller Plaza, a convenient entry and exit position. Panel screens showed running clips of the preview around and behind her. A bit tricky to get shots with flash (which was necessary) without bounce-back glare from the screens but a nice back drop for her. Did I say how striking her dark hair is on her?

Anyhow I had a job (still, I hoped) and so had to depart. Eclipse said more fans had shown up until Amanda had to be pulled for another appointment. Yay, New York - vindication! She said Amanda noted the same group was still snapping away and called them paparazzi! How cool was that. Then unbeknownst to them or me, she went right across the street to the NBC studio FOR AN INTERVIEW! Gah! But so glad!

All told it was the most exciting sequence of events for me! I'll never forget being so close to the cast of SANCTUARY and getting a personal thank you from the reigning Queen of Sci-Fi.

Just sayin', now how about that Paley Center season finale screening, eh? Oh, and for all my fellow Samandans who saw her at the AT1,2,3 affairs: I so know how addicting it feels to be around her! I’ve seen the light! Did she have to be so nice? Yes, ‘cause that’s Amanda Tapping! Oh, and kudos to all the diligent premiere and signing fans, your photos and reports rock!
              Bravo, bravo, bravo, great story . You are so lucky that you got to meet her like that, and that she was very willing and eager to have a pic taken with you, I'm really happy for you . Amanda *always* knows how to talk and treat fans, because like there's no "actor to fan" thing going on, it's more like person to person chit chat . She always treats fans more like friends just fans. Amanda always makes fans feel important and like special, both by paying close attention to them, and making great eye contact. But what's even better than that is she even remembers them the next time they meet, and she even cries when she meets fans. I wonder how Amanda feels knowing she intimidates fans.

I'm not being biased, but I definitely agree that she really is the most approachable cast member in both SG and Sanctuary a . I feel so incredibly lucky to have her in our lives, and that she's all the wonderful things she is . I agree 200%, most celebs these days act a certain way in public, then their true colors come out, and disappoint a lot of loyal fans, and even worse, hurt their own credibility. Thank God Amanda isn't like that, she's what-- and I'm not being biased again, but she's Hollywood should be like, so caring, kind, down to earth, and all the long and hard work she does is for her fans and family. SHE IS MOST DEFINITELY THE REAL DEAL . That's how she makes so many fans, and why she's so loved .

Originally posted by morjana View Post
              This live journal has three reports on the Paley Center and NBC Store Experience events:

Paley Center - Part 1

Paley Center - Part 2

NBC Experience Store
              Originally posted by Mala50 View Post
              Nice reports, thanks! I was at both events, too.

Btw, here's a mini album of photos that I took of Amanda at the NBC Experience store last week:
              http://www.madmala.com/gallery/main.php

Originally posted by prion View Post
              Wireimage.com

http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResul...&sfld=C&vwmd=e

has 9 photos from the NYC Sanctuary premiere
              Oh you guys rock . And Mala, you banners rock, especially the Helen shooting one.
              Last edited by Rocky89; 15 October 2008, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                Bravo, bravo, bravo, great story . You are so lucky that you got to meet her like that, and that she was very willing and eager to have a pic taken with you, I'm really happy for you . Amanda *always* knows how to talk and treat fans, because like there's no "actor to fan" thing going on, it's more like person to person chit chat . She always treats fans more like friends just fans. Amanda always makes fans feel important and like special, both by paying close attention to them, and making great eye contact. But what's even better than that is she even remembers them the next time they meet, and she even cries when she meets fans. I wonder how Amanda feels knowing she intimidates fans.

I'm not being biased, but I definitely agree that she really is the most approachable cast member in both SG and Sanctuary a . I feel so incredibly lucky to have her in our lives, and that she's all the wonderful things she is . I agree 200%, most celebs these days act a certain way in public, then their true colors come out, and disappoint a lot of loyal fans, and even worse, hurt their own credibility. Thank God Amanda isn't like that, she's what-- and I'm not being biased again, but she's Hollywood should be like, so caring, kind, down to earth, and all the long and hard work she does is for her fans and family. SHE IS MOST DEFINITELY THE REAL DEAL . That's how she makes so many fans, and why she's so loved .
                Indeed. I think the moment of actually seeing her, before the up close and personal, made me really reflect. Amanda has always been the larger than life character to me, played so convincingly that I couldn't wait to see her from one scene to the next. Then I walked into the NBC store and she was sitting there so - so HUMAN. I mean like 3D, in the flesh. Then I guess 4D once she shook my hand and greeted me.

That's when it hit me. I got all empathetic wondering if with this hectic promotion schedule if she slept well (if she didn't, it sure didn't show), had a moment to relax, or *sniffle* when she last got to hug hubby and baby. This was Amanda not Sam. OMG what more do we want from her!

Ok then I got a flash, took a breath: Amanda Tapping is doing what she loves. Acting, show biz, making it happen is her passion and that so wonderfully is extended to her fans. No she doesn't have to be so nice; she could be "pretty" nice or "kind of" nice and let it be. But she puts more into the audience and those who want to show our appreciation for what she does so well. For us.

Ok, got a second wind and then went back to being a google-eyed fangirl 'cause she chose to smile and be so nice to me. I realized it would be uncivil to not show how much I admired her, and that I could do it with civility and respect (no matter how spazzed I was to meet her).

Just sayin', I know there's a line to not cross with a celebrity who's so in touch with fans. But I think that spark of empathy made me appreciate more deeply how rare such interaction is. I'll treasure Amanda's giving nature for as long as she wants to entertain us. Gee, it's so hard to get past the buzz of her appearance! Ok, I hope I expressed that clearly. I'll return to my workday!
                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                sigpic
                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Indeed. I think the moment of actually seeing her, before the up close and personal, made me really reflect. Amanda has always been the larger than life character to me, played so convincingly that I couldn't wait to see her from one scene to the next. Then I walked into the NBC store and she was sitting there so - so HUMAN. I mean like 3D, in the flesh. Then I guess 4D once she shook my hand and greeted me.

That's when it hit me. I got all empathetic wondering if with this hectic promotion schedule if she slept well (if she didn't, it sure didn't show), had a moment to relax, or *sniffle* when she last got to hug hubby and baby. This was Amanda not Sam. OMG what more do we want from her!

Ok then I got a flash, took a breath: Amanda Tapping is doing what she loves. Acting, show biz, making it happen is her passion and that so wonderfully is extended to her fans. No she doesn't have to be so nice; she could be "pretty" nice or "kind of" nice and let it be. But she puts more into the audience and those who want to show our appreciation for what she does so well. For us.

Ok, got a second wind and then went back to being a google-eyed fangirl 'cause she chose to smile and be so nice to me. I realized it would be uncivil to not show how much I admired her, and that I could do it with civility and respect (no matter how spazzed I was to meet her).

Just sayin', I know there's a line to not cross with a celebrity who's so in touch with fans. But I think that spark of empathy made me appreciate more deeply how rare such interaction is. I'll treasure Amanda's giving nature for as long as she wants to entertain us. Gee, it's so hard to get past the buzz of her appearance! Ok, I hope I expressed that clearly. I'll return to my workday!
                  Well said . IMHO, anyone who meets Amanda is blessed and feels like they're the luckiest people ever, I know quite of few of those people who've told me their stories and how meeting Amanda was the best experience of their lives, and you're one of them .

Poor Amanda, always giving herself, not a low opinion, but not a high one either . But that's our Amanda for ya, like I said before, she'll never see herself as a big shot, or all that and she'll never think she's invincible . She'll always have some self-doubt, insecurities and what not, but that's what makes her so human, and why we all love her . No matter how much fame and success she gets, she'll always just consider herself just plain lucky, lucky to be lucky actually. If she'd only she's is a damn great actress with loads of talent and a great idol-- wait no, that's not Amanda's attitude .

In a way I'm glad she can't see it, because it's another thing to love about her, I mean it gives her that drive to work harder and try to live up to every one's expectations , granted they've probably already met and more, but that doesn't slow her down . Love your last line btw, it makes us believe that she shouldn't change at all, should she be more confident? Should she have less self-doubt? let's just say, she's meant to be the way she is, and I love that person .

Btw, did you know that to give Sanctuary the support and money it needs, she actually cut back her acting salary, and completely took her producer's salary off the table, all for budge constraints for Sanctuary, so she's not making what she should. So remember all, when you're watching Sanctuary and it's effects for the first time, remember Amanda's own money help make the show into what it is .

Amanda Rocks .

Comment

Sanctuary - The Herald (Scotland):

At The Herald (Glasgow, Scotland):

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

Sanctuary
                    ITV4, 9pm

DAVID BELCHER October 16 2008

**snippage**

Charity must be shown towards Sanctuary, an enjoyably rubbishy US import whose moody CGI version of New York City out-grimes the original. More laudably still, Sanctuary is a science fantasy series that's plainly been inspired by Britain's very own, very dreadful Torchwood - but somehow it has even less narrative logic.

There's also the added bonus of much portentous all-American psycho-babbling vis-a-vis the characters' motivations, hopes and fears; the personal issues that render them conflicted, personally, about their emotional commitment issues, blah blah blah. Naturally, each confession of innermost turmoil is wryly phrased and spoken in halting, ruminative tones that underline all the angst that's swashing about. Think of John Barrowman's Captain Jack Harkness played by Hugh Laurie's Dr Gregory House. Shudder.

Sanctuary stars Amanda Tapping from Stargate SG-1, a long-running show I'm proud to say I've never watched (and never will). She is Dr Helen Magnus, a time-travelling English exo-biologist (yup, your guess is as good as mine) now resident in moody-looking NYC.

Due to her time-travelling and exobiologising, Dr Helen is actually aged 157. She, of course, looks better than her sole extant contemporary, Cher. Sanctuary's USP is that Dr Helen has tasked herself with resolving the emotional commitment issues, blah blah blah, which afflict the various so-called monsters she meets during her time travels, as she's certain that talking things out is, like, a rilly nurturing process for all personkind (including monsters).

As Sanctuary's tag-line puts it: "There are monsters loose in the world - and they are the key to the future of our race." These monsters have so far included a brain-sucking kid with a large prehensile worm growing out of his stomach, and Dr Helen's former lover from Victorian London: Jack the Ripper, aka John Druitt, a sweet guy, honestly, once you get to know him, overlooking all that multiple prostitute-slicing.

Dr Helen is aided by a brilliant but emotionally conflicted young forensic psychiatrist, Dr Will Zimmerman, an older-looking Harry Potter who is forever wryly and haltingly talking through his emotional commitment issues. Sanctuary: watch it once and then save yourself further all-American TV hogwash.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

By reading his review, it's obvious he doesn't like the scifi genre
                      so how can someone who doesn't like scifi/fantasy be an objective reviewer
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        By reading his review, it's obvious he doesn't like the scifi genre
                        so how can someone who doesn't like scifi/fantasy be an objective reviewer
                        I agree, also, I'm not too fond of the reviews that come from IO9 .

Comment

I replied to The Herald:
                          http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/...rent_world.php

Regarding Sanctuary:

If you had read any of the promotional materials you would know that the show is staunchly Canadian - and proud of it. The only bit that is American - I assume you mean from the U.S. - is the Sci-Fi Channel was the first to pick it up as a series.

Also, Sanctuary is not about time travel. It is not about extraterrestrials. So it is not so much like Torchwood.

It seems to me that you don't like scifi shows or American shows by how many times you mentioned "all-American TV hogwash". I would rather read a review by someone who is not biased by the genre or supposed origins of a show.
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            Regarding Sanctuary:

If you had read any of the promotional materials you would know that the show is staunchly Canadian - and proud of it. The only bit that is American - I assume you mean from the U.S. - is the Sci-Fi Channel was the first to pick it up as a series.

Also, Sanctuary is not about time travel. It is not about extraterrestrials. So it is not so much like Torchwood.

It seems to me that you don't like scifi shows or American shows by how many times you mentioned "all-American TV hogwash". I would rather read a review by someone who is not biased by the genre or supposed origins of a show.
                            Way to go suse!
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              Way to go suse!
                              Thanks! I don't mind negative reviews *quite* as much if they have the facts correct. But this? Ha!

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I replied to The Herald:
                                http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/...rent_world.php

Regarding Sanctuary:

Thanks! I don't mind negative reviews *quite* as much if they have the facts correct. But this? Ha!

suse
                                Yeah you tell him suse . I was gonna leave my own comment, but it would have been as nice .

Comment

Working...
                                X