Nikola Tesla/Jonathon Young Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glitch33 View Post
    Give me a few hours and let me watch it again and I'll see if I can help you out
    Thank you. I can't rely at all to "the unreliability of the narrative voice"
    And I see absolutely no logic to the symbols, even if I take into account that it is something dream-like...
    "Are you like, a crazy person?"
    "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Yea it was a little weird but I haven't seen it in a long time
      On the edge of breaking down
      sigpic
      Banner made by me

Comment

I should watch that tonight. I haven't seen it yet. *purrs and ruggles*
        Signature by Glitch33.
        sigpic
        Official assistant thread elf of the Nikola Tesla/Jonathon Young appreciation thread and member of the Teslen thread.

Comment

Watch what? *purrs back and ruggles*

Brb gonna run to Burlington's
          sigpic
          Banner made by me

Comment

The Flannigan affair.
            *purrs and ruggles*

Signature by Glitch33.
            sigpic
            Official assistant thread elf of the Nikola Tesla/Jonathon Young appreciation thread and member of the Teslen thread.

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
              Maybe Dino or iJoke could help
              *wink wink, nudge nudge*
              The main idea, at least? To get me started?
              I am not doing any better than you, es!. The time I discovered this video on their website was the first time I watched it, and like you, being a non-native English speaker, have some problems in making sense of the narration (and JY's sexy voice was so distracting, you know! ) I'll watch it again some times later today and get back to you what I found.
              Last edited by Dinoman; 15 December 2011, 05:51 PM.
              sigpic
              Sign by me

Comment

*purrs and ruggles back* I knew that

sigpic
                Banner made by me

Comment

Silly Glitch. *purrs and ruggles*

Signature by Glitch33.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was actually asking about your thoughts on Flannigan Affair. I mean, you must have understood it if you liked it.
                    I think JYo's voice is really sexy in it, but I can't make head or tail of the rest and it's killing me.

I would really appreciate some insights from you guys. Any of you Even Glitch after he's had his good night's sleep

If anybody's interested, I can offer my analysis on Dick and Jane in return
                    LOL.

Flannigans affair is errr, interesting
                    Im going to look more into it.
                    Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                    - Doctor Who (series 7)
                    - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                    - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                    - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                    - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

*purrs back and ruggles*

sigpic
                      Banner made by me

Comment

Thank you. I can't rely at all to "the unreliability of the narrative voice"
                        And I see absolutely no logic to the symbols, even if I take into account that it is something dream-like...
                        This is a direct quote of the comments written by Colin Thomas on The Georgia Straight about "The Flannigan Affair" as posted on the ECT website:

"A felon masquerading as Mr. and Mrs. Flannigan’s infant son is actually the narrator of the couple’s life, but he makes the mistake of getting attached to their story and ends up trapped in a theatrical hall of mirrors. Director Kim Collier turns her long, narrow performance space into a fantastic kaleidoscope—with depth."

I just watched the clip again and I think the symbols represent the status or the locations when the events happen: for example, the magnifying glasses symbolise the library the Flannigans are hiding in, and the clock and metronome indicate Phoson (sp?) is disoriented in The Cadaver, lost in time and space, just like this painting by Salvador Dali:

clock melting clocks.jpg

I also think that the Flannigan's son is in fact the reincarnation of the narrator who bear the memory of his former life as a felon. When he grows up in the family he finds himself more and more attached to the couples thus unable to tell which life he is living, confusing as when you cannot tell which is the real you in the hall of mirrors.

That's all I have so far. I believe different people have different views and interpretations and that's what performing arts are meant to be.
                        sigpic
                        Sign by me

Comment

Thanks for that Dino

sigpic
                          Banner made by me

Comment

I am looking forward to read your comments, opinions and analyses of the play, Glitch, if you're lucid enough!
                            sigpic
                            Sign by me

Comment

I'm trying but I've been up for 48 hours so I'm still kinda ... Meh

sigpic
                              Banner made by me

Comment

I stumbled across this article while searching for information on "The Flannigan Affair". It said that JY left his hometown and enrolled in Studio 58 at the age of 18 in 1992, that makes him 37 now.

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articl...re-play-mates/

The article also said that he and his wife started the ECT in 1996, he was only 22 then!! Imagine what started by a 22-year-old is now becoming one of the best theatre groups in Vancouver! I discover myself admiring him more and more when I dig deeper and deeper into his works and how much he accomplished throughout the years, which I didn't expect when I first started watching Sanctuary.
                                sigpic
                                Sign by me

Comment

Working...
                                X