Helen Magnus/John Druitt Ship/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr-Helen-Granger View Post
    Some episodes felt like they didn't really belong. Chimera felt like it should've been closer to the beginning of the season and Ice Breaker (although I LOOOVE the Migoi) was left too late. Most other creatures (when they were brought back) usually came back the next season or the season after. The Migoi had to wait from Kush to Ice Breaker! Roughly 46 episodes later! I didn't really remember them. As for the whole political thing, I think that was the worst. Really, although I do like S4, it was choppy. I think it could have been done better.
    Do you know why SyFy cut it?

P.S. GUYS!!! I'M A STAFF SERGEANT NOW! GO MEE!!!
    Congrats on the promotion! ;-]

The Magoi situation was annoying for me. They were pretty amazing as far as abnormals are concerned and I liked them in both episodes. However, I've always thought that keeping them alive was one of the stupidest things Helen Magnus ever did. The Magoi were the perfect killing machines and Helen wanted to keep them housed in her sanctuaries despite the fact they killed so many. Course, that's Helen Magnus for you, right? Saving all forms of life no matter the danger involved. But for all the lengths she would go to save her sanctuary and creatures she wouldn't do the same for her own child in season 4? Boo.

Also, with Helen being so detached and secretative and the total change of tone of season 4 I, as a viewer, became detached from the show by the middle of the season. I'm sort of experiencing this with season 5 of Fringe. It's a total reset from season 4, which had a bizarre finale that seems to have been forgotten now, and the characters have shifted as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
      From a writing point of view, I think the problem is that Helen is the main character, and the viewer has to sympathize with and like her, as has been the case for the previous three seasons. Having Helen running a hidden agenda doesn't work, not for a full season. A couple of episodes, yes. But somewhere along episode four or five or six of Helen's motives being opaque and her point of view being lost, she starts being unlikable.

The other thing is that The Five is when Helen lets her hair down -- when she steps out of boss mode and is vulnerable -- when she's with John or Nikola or James. There's an awful lot of season 4 with none of them around. Yes, there are a couple of Nikola episodes, which are pretty much the best ones, but that's not enough to save the season. If you look at the ratings, they go on a slide about episode four or five, about the point that people start losing sympathy for Helen. And so they stop watching.

The other thing is that the political plot is too contrived and too predictable. Politics is hellishly hard to write! They're not pulling it off. And if it had just been a couple of episodes, ok. Every show has a couple of clunkers per season. But it's the whole season plot. And it just can't carry the water it needs to.
      Helen did become unlikable in season 4. Will became almost unbearable. Henry and Nikola even more adorable. Kate and Biggie more vulnerable. Politics should never be a overly strong theme in sci fi shows. I watch this genre to explore new worlds and go on adventures. If I wanted politics I'd watch the news.

The Five episodes all had moments of adventure to them. And the actors were all strong and played so well off one another. I kept hoping there would be a flapper episode with them because the costumes would have been so cool. Helen as a flapper would have been a hoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Belladonna View Post
        The Five episodes all had moments of adventure to them. And the actors were all strong and played so well off one another. I kept hoping there would be a flapper episode with them because the costumes would have been so cool. Helen as a flapper would have been a hoot.
        I read this bolded part three times. For whatever reason, I kept thinking you'd misspelled the last word, that you were trying say that "Helen as a flapper would have been hooooot. But then I couldn't explain that extra preposition you had in there.

And then I realized that you'd typed exactly what you meant to. I agree, it would have been a hoot-- but I guess my poor brain is hardwired a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
          I read this bolded part three times. For whatever reason, I kept thinking you'd misspelled the last word, that you were trying say that "Helen as a flapper would have been hooooot. But then I couldn't explain that extra preposition you had in there.

And then I realized that you'd typed exactly what you meant to. I agree, it would have been a hoot-- but I guess my poor brain is hardwired a different way.
          Helen would have been HOT and a HOOT as a flapper. It also would have been fun to see John, James or Nikola in roaring twenties suits and hats.

Comment

Oh my God Nikola in a 1920s suit!
            sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

I believe that this is the right place to post this! Its taken from the panel at AT6 on the weekend. I didn't go, I got it off tumblr. Sophie, if your reading this, I credit you!! ---> ithoughtitwassmokinghot.tumblr.com
              Yes, Amanda DID say this!

"Good question. Well firstly, John isn't dead. We wouldn't have killed him off. We were coming up with ideas on how we would bring him back etc. He is too much of a fabulous character to kill off. We did that with Ashley AND LOOK HOW THAT BACKFIRED. It's so hard with Helen and John because they are so clearly still in love with each other and it's a really passionate relationship. They have this child and that brings them closer. THEY GOT ENGAGED FOR GODS SAKE. and then she got with Watson. She is a bit of a whore. A bit of a PLAYAAA. We were definitely going to look into their relationship in season 5 and I think something would have happened again and we were talking about getting them back together. Especially after 'Haunted' when we got a glimpse of him and we figured out why he was the way he was. But yes. They aren't over. "

SOMEONE NEEDS TO PICK UP SANCTUARY!
              Goodness, this is the first time I've felt a spark of happiness since Season 3 ended!
              sigpic
              The Return of King Arthur
              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Oh my God Nikola in a 1920s suit!
                Don't forget the snappy hat and polished shoes. ;-}

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                  Goodness, this is the first time I've felt a spark of happiness since Season 3 ended!
                  I know, right? Season 4 was such a downer. Amanda's statement helped recharge the Magnitt fanfic writer in me so I've been working on the next chapter that explains how they got back together.

And totally off topic, I just started watching Supernatural since I read that Amanda's going to be on. As the first show I've ever seen her on is Sanctuary and I so identify her with Helen Magnus it still takes me aback to hear her talk without an English accent. Can't wait to see more of her on the show.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                    I stopped being happy about Sanctuary after INTO THE BLACK..... It was.... just... *shakes head* S4 was depressing to say the least!! Now that Amanda said that about S5 I HUNGRY for it now!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Congrats on the promotion! ;-]

The Magoi situation was annoying for me. They were pretty amazing as far as abnormals are concerned and I liked them in both episodes. However, I've always thought that keeping them alive was one of the stupidest things Helen Magnus ever did. The Magoi were the perfect killing machines and Helen wanted to keep them housed in her sanctuaries despite the fact they killed so many. Course, that's Helen Magnus for you, right? Saving all forms of life no matter the danger involved. But for all the lengths she would go to save her sanctuary and creatures she wouldn't do the same for her own child in season 4? Boo.

Also, with Helen being so detached and secretative and the total change of tone of season 4 I, as a viewer, became detached from the show by the middle of the season. I'm sort of experiencing this with season 5 of Fringe. It's a total reset from season 4, which had a bizarre finale that seems to have been forgotten now, and the characters have shifted as well.
                      Thank you!

I totally agree! In the first episode alone they killed everyone but Will and Helen and thats what, six people and then in the second one they killed many as well (including Alister ) But you're right, Helen did become more obbsessed with saving the Abnormals and paid, I'm not sure less is the right word but its like she kind of stops caring as much about the people who work for her. Maybe she did that though because she knew she was going to blow up the Sanctuary and wanted to distance herself from them incase they got hurt (?)
                      I've never seen Fringe, but I can understand! The middle of the season became so boring and I think the arc wasn't as obvious, like they would mention it but really, only two at the beginning(2,3) and two or three at the end (10,12,13) actually had a lot to do with the political story line that the show was meant to be focused on! And I think they could've afforded to have some more flashbacks, just to bring John, Nigel and James back! James is one of my favorite characters and I missed him a lot! We only ever saw the five in a war ridden country or decades ago, it would've been fun to have seen them in like the sixties or the twenties!
                      sigpic
                      "For All Eternity"
                      The Five | Multi-shpper
                      SamxJack | JohnxHelen
                      Currently watching: Stargate SG1 Season3. Currently reading: Broken Wings by L Stoddard Hancock.
                      Banner courtesy of couplechemestry.livejournal.com

Comment

Don't forget the snappy hat and polished shoes. ;-}
                        If I could vid, I would do a Nikola vid to ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man.

Cause every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man....
                        sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

If I could vid, I would do a Nikola vid to ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man.

Cause every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man....
                          LMAO!!!! *raises hand* I'd like to disagree with that! lmao! Give me a man in leather pants, scarred boots, and a t-shirt and I will be a happy camper! lol !
                          sigpic

Comment

A vid of all the Sanctuary men to ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man would be awesome.

Comment

Thank you!

I totally agree! In the first episode alone they killed everyone but Will and Helen and thats what, six people and then in the second one they killed many as well (including Alister ) But you're right, Helen did become more obbsessed with saving the Abnormals and paid, I'm not sure less is the right word but its like she kind of stops caring as much about the people who work for her. Maybe she did that though because she knew she was going to blow up the Sanctuary and wanted to distance herself from them incase they got hurt (?)
                              I've never seen Fringe, but I can understand! The middle of the season became so boring and I think the arc wasn't as obvious, like they would mention it but really, only two at the beginning(2,3) and two or three at the end (10,12,13) actually had a lot to do with the political story line that the show was meant to be focused on! And I think they could've afforded to have some more flashbacks, just to bring John, Nigel and James back! James is one of my favorite characters and I missed him a lot! We only ever saw the five in a war ridden country or decades ago, it would've been fun to have seen them in like the sixties or the twenties!
                              I loved James too! Kept hoping that we'd get an episode of James doing sword play.

Comment

A vid of all the Sanctuary men to ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man would be awesome.
                                Oh yes! It should be all Helen's boys! Definitely should include John's gray satin shirt. My.
                                sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Working...
                                X