Helen Magnus/John Druitt Ship/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artie View Post
    Yes, totally. Helen goes off and screams at people. And I don't think we're meant to take "I hate you" as her final word. I mean, in her first episode with Nikola she told him nobody had ever liked him and that they all thought he was a nerd and that she'd never cared about him. And it's really obvious that's not true. It's very clear that they were all good friends and that he means a lot to her. I think she was just going off and saying something mean. And so I take her telling John that she hates him and never wants to see him again the same way. She's mad and she's going off on him. And when she cools off it will be different. Her boys just need to stay out of her way until she simmers down! LOL!
    Let this be a lesson for all men everywhere when dealing with an angry woman. Just let her say her piece, then give her time to cool off, THEN calmly address the situation and seriously talk it out. Doing it mid-rant only gets people into more trouble.

But it's not just the boys it happens to. Helen snapped at Ashley in the very first episode/webisode when they're in the train tunnels. "This was completely avoidable!"

In fact, the only time I've seen Helen actively exercise restraint in her reactions was with Will. Restraint is the only way I can conceive of Helen not going off on him in Fugue when he's unloading on her. I wonder if it was because she didn't think he could handle her temper (which only emphasizes the trust she still has in John, in that she will be honest with him, and not with her protegee), or if it was because she wanted to keep up the pretense of keeping secrets in order to keep Will drawn in by his innate curiosity. Otherwise he might have walked out of the picture completely.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
      Let this be a lesson for all men everywhere when dealing with an angry woman. Just let her say her piece, then give her time to cool off, THEN calmly address the situation and seriously talk it out. Doing it mid-rant only gets people into more trouble.

But it's not just the boys it happens to. Helen snapped at Ashley in the very first episode/webisode when they're in the train tunnels. "This was completely avoidable!"

In fact, the only time I've seen Helen actively exercise restraint in her reactions was with Will. Restraint is the only way I can conceive of Helen not going off on him in Fugue when he's unloading on her. I wonder if it was because she didn't think he could handle her temper (which only emphasizes the trust she still has in John, in that she will be honest with him, and not with her protegee), or if it was because she wanted to keep up the pretense of keeping secrets in order to keep Will drawn in by his innate curiosity. Otherwise he might have walked out of the picture completely.
      I completely agree! This discussion has really changed my ideas for my current story! I think Helen knows who understands her. I know that there are people in my life who I feel comfortable screaming at or being very honest with. They know when to take me seriously and when to know it has just been a bad day and this was the last straw. Will hasn't known Helen for that long, even though it feels like he has John has known her forever and they probably at some point had a similar conversation. Will needs a little more grounding before he can handle it.
      sigpic
      || acrazyobsession on AO3 & Tumblr || My DeviantArt ||

Comment

There is certainly an intimacy in her interaction with John. Even when she's telling him to stay away from her, or condemning his intention to "bed her in some other lifetime", there's a vulnerability she allows to surface, even as she's erecting the front of angry strength to protect herself. And the longing in his eyes whenever he looks at her, whenever she reminds him that his sense of morality in skewed, speaks to his acknowledgement that he is flawed, but is willing to change, to do anything for her...

I love this ship. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
          There is certainly an intimacy in her interaction with John. Even when she's telling him to stay away from her, or condemning his intention to "bed her in some other lifetime", there's a vulnerability she allows to surface, even as she's erecting the front of angry strength to protect herself. And the longing in his eyes whenever he looks at her, whenever she reminds him that his sense of morality in skewed, speaks to his acknowledgement that he is flawed, but is willing to change, to do anything for her...

I love this ship. *sigh*
          All of this, yes! She's mad at him. Which is not the same thing as truly hating him. (And to be fair, he has been colossally stupid to be duped by Adam AGAIN! I mean seriously, shouldn't he have seen that one coming? But this is John and he can be dense as a brick.) So she's giving him hell. Which she does. They yell at each other several times a season, generally speaking.
          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

All of this, yes! She's mad at him. Which is not the same thing as truly hating him. (And to be fair, he has been colossally stupid to be duped by Adam AGAIN! I mean seriously, shouldn't he have seen that one coming? But this is John and he can be dense as a brick.) So she's giving him hell. Which she does. They yell at each other several times a season, generally speaking.
            Actually, I don't think that John is stupid. Yes, Adam should have been shot on sight in Praxis. He'd proven himself a menace to society both above and below the surface, and I don't care what any one says: Jekyll has demonstrated an equal disregard for casualties as Hyde does. He should have been shot on sight.

But that said, Adam is incredibly manipulative. He knew exactly how to get to John, and that's through Helen. He offered to give John the chance to get everything he ever wanted: himself, whole again, with Helen at his side, free to build the marriage they never had, grow the family they'd only dreamed of. That was enough for him to throw all sense of caution to the wind.

Adam was counting on that, and it worked. John saw Helen, and only Helen, as he always has.

Comment

She had every right to be mad at him. He got taken by Adam twice and it lead to the death of thousands, including her father. But given time I think she would have gotten past it and they would have been thrown together again somehow, probably when she next needed his help again. This episode was hard on a Magnett fan after all the other good ones in season 3. Season 4, aside from a few episodes like Tempest and Chimera, was depressing with all the poltical overtones and I was bored with no Druitt and little Tesla and Watson.

Comment

Please post when you've put up your story. I'm dying for some more Magnett fanfics that are actually for the pairing as opposed to trashing them to be a Teslan story. The only currently published Magnett fics I'm aware of are my own, which while I love them I already know everything that's happening because I'm the one writing it. Kinda takes away the surprise factor. ;-]

Originally posted by ClassicCouples View Post
                I completely agree! This discussion has really changed my ideas for my current story! I think Helen knows who understands her. I know that there are people in my life who I feel comfortable screaming at or being very honest with. They know when to take me seriously and when to know it has just been a bad day and this was the last straw. Will hasn't known Helen for that long, even though it feels like he has John has known her forever and they probably at some point had a similar conversation. Will needs a little more grounding before he can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Belladonna View Post
                  Please post when you've put up your story. I'm dying for some more Magnett fanfics that are actually for the pairing as opposed to trashing them to be a Teslan story. The only currently published Magnett fics I'm aware of are my own, which while I love them I already know everything that's happening because I'm the one writing it. Kinda takes away the surprise factor. ;-]

Well, it's probably really bad form to rec myself, but I will anyway! This one was an award winner, Bedtime Stories for the Big and Scary: http://artaxastra.livejournal.com/373228.html. I do warn you that this is for mature audiences. It is quite explicit. (And there's a whole bunch of other Helen/John fic on my lj.)
                  sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Yay, new fics to read. Thanks!

Well, it's probably really bad form to rec myself, but I will anyway! This one was an award winner, Bedtime Stories for the Big and Scary: http://artaxastra.livejournal.com/373228.html. I do warn you that this is for mature audiences. It is quite explicit. (And there's a whole bunch of other Helen/John fic on my lj.)

Comment

Originally posted by Belladonna View Post
                      Yay, new fics to read. Thanks!
                      I hope you enjoy it!
                      sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Made an art... kinda sad.... but....

lyrics from Fly Leaf's song CIRCLE
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AresLover452 View Post
                          Made an art... kinda sad.... but....

lyrics from Fly Leaf's song CIRCLE
                          Wow sis thats awesome i love it! ( super mega hugs)
                          sigpic
                          (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

Here is some more! lol!

sigpic

Comment

Those are really beautiful!
                              sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Thanks Artie! Glad you like them!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X